Thor replaced by female Thor

The Sarcasm Society summed the problem with this up well:

http://blog.sarcasmsociety.com/entertainment/thor-to-be-a-female-superhero-in-new-incarnation.html

Basically, in Marvel's desperate attempt to pander/create a strong female character in a medium that is generally male-centric, they have sent the message that the only way a female can be equal is to become a man, take his name, identity, do what he does, etc. It is so very misguided. Basically, Marvel's solution to gender inequality is Rule 63. :facepalm:
Agreed

I agree with that. However, Marvel is working with characters created in the 50s and 60s where the expected superhero was a straight white guy. And they've had decades to build a fan base. They could create new female characters (and they are - Ms Marvel is phenomenal), but it's extremely hard to push characters that don't have movies, cartoons, etc.

Best case scenario is an "Unworthy Thor" book.
yeah now that sounds like alot more interesting!! i would go buy that! it would be cool to see the "real" Thor ( in a bar drinking his ass off!) all "I had a hammer once!.. but i lost that ^&*!cause my outta touch Dad thinks i messed up!.. yeah! like he didn't adopt some hating ass frost giant's kid!
:cwink:
F^&*( She-thor!

It's like the old expression: there's nothing new under the sun. I'd like to think that after publishing for seventy-five years, Marvel has used every story model at least once.

They used it last year with Superior Spider-Man and are now doing it 3 times in the same year: Thor, Cap and the latest rumor is Iron Man is on deck (possibly with that whole Arno Stark thing that Gillen has been writing about).

Thor will be a female
Falcon will take over as Cap
and
something will happen to Tony and be replaced with a repressed minority...my money is on a gay man

Anyone that buys copies of this crap should be ashamed.

I know Marvel is trying the "New Coke" strategy with Spidey, Cap and Thor ("give people awful new products so they long for the real thing and will rush back to buy them") but sales should be terrible for this stuff. I know I'll never buy it and I've read Marvel for decades.

Honestly, as a long time reader and fan I don't ever remember the collective writing on the books being this bad or sinking this low. Yes, Teenage Tony Stark and Spider-Clone was awful but it wasn't systemic or company wide. The books have no direction and are hiring bad main cogs (Hickman, etc.) I'm starting to think this is the worst editor-in-chief in Marvel's history.

Called it

10556287_10151910001844364_3041105087845448946_n.jpg

Female Thor is a stupid idea, but I like Falcon replacing Rogers as the new Cap. I doubt either of these events will last very long, though.

From the story on EW, it sounds like they won't show who the new wielder is of Mjolnir right away and they'll tease it out for a few issues.

yeah now that sounds like alot more interesting!! i would go buy that! it would be cool to see the "real" Thor ( in a bar drinking his ass off!)

It'll just be like the first Thor movie where all he'll be doing is asking for another.

At least they didn't turn Thor into the most offensive black stereotype ever.

Is she Valkyrie? EW says that she is someone already in Thor's life... Enchantress?

For a moment I thought maybe Miss/Captain Marvel...

or...

dMwoMqj.jpg

COMICS:
Marvel Announces New AVENGERS NOW! Initiative

We all (pretty much) knew the Captain America announcement was coming, but there's a lot more to it! Along with reinventions for Cap and Thor, Iron Man will soon be "Superior Iron Man", and the Avengers team will look a whole lot different. More past the jump.

Joe Quesada just appeared on the Colbert Report to announce our new Captain America, but there's a lot more going on too -- EW have revealed that Sam Wilson taking over the Cap mantle is only one of the big changes coming our way in the pages of Marvel Comics. The plan is to roll out a third wave of the Marvel NOW! initiative this fall, with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor all getting new #1 issues, and more focus being placed on the likes of Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and Scarlet Witch who are all set to appear in upcoming Marvel Studios movies. Also, as you can see from the image below, it would seem that Angela is not the new female Thor as we'd thought. The site report that a renewed focus will also be placed on Medusa, Inferno, Deathlok and the Winter Soldier, with more than ten titles (not all necessarily solo) already in the planning stages. We'll hear more about all of this throughout Comic-Con, but for now what do you guys think of the changes?

Superior Iron Man #1 sends Tony Stark to San Francisco with a new outfit and a new perspective on life. “The Genius Bar costume is there for a reason,” Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso tells EW. “The newly-transformed Superior Iron Man has very ambitious plans for the city that some of its residents embrace, but not all. Like the Superior Spider-Man, Superior Iron Man is a character that’s hard to root for.” The series is written by Tom Taylor and drawn by In a series written by Tom Taylor and drawn by Yildiray Cinar.

avengers-now_1000x791.jpg

Bst7rv7CAAAn15W.jpg:large
COMICS: Marvel Announces New AVENGERS NOW! Initiative

I really wish they'd get rid of Quesada since it just seems like he's making these changes just for the sake of having something new to sell comic book fans/readers. I felt the current lineup from the Marvel NOW! branding they did back in 2012 was still going fairly strong and had some great stories still being told.

I have been reading some extra interviews with Aaron, and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to this storyline. I am caught up on his Thor run, and am filling the holes in my Wolverine and the X-Men collection, as he's a damn good writer. As for the FalCap storyline, I'll be picking up the first few issues. I read the first few issues of the relaunched book and was not too excited about them; but, if the FalCap storyline works, I'll go back and read the material between where I started and the relaunch.

The recent changes make me wonder if someone at Disney told Marvel Comics to start getting people ready for when they have to recast all the movie roles. "This Mackie guy seems like he's real gung-ho about our movies, while Chris Evans was always a bit lukewarm. Why don't we make it so he's the star?" That sort of thing.

The recent changes make me wonder if someone at Disney told Marvel Comics to start getting people ready for when they have to recast all the movie roles. "This Mackie guy seems like he's real gung-ho about our movies, while Chris Evans was always a bit lukewarm. Why don't we make it so he's the star?" That sort of thing.
they are not going to be replacing Captain America in the movieverse with a black guy. And before someone brings up Human Torch, Cap is a lot more high profile and stars in his own line of films, so yes its different.

Evans is signed for at least one more Cap movie and one more Avengers movie, I believe, so this would be like 5 years in the future. I think people would be a lot more okay with it by then, plus Marvel's profile would be even bigger with the pretty much guaranteed success of Age of Ultron and the Phase 3 movies. The worst reaction from people who might be on the fence would probably be like, "That's weird, but f*** it, I've watched all the other Marvel movies."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"