ULTIMATE FIGHT - RUNE LORD THOR vs SUPERMAN PRIME

And kung fu was something he picked up in the Source? That'd be kind of goofy.

By that same token, you don't know what wisdom Thor gained hanging from Yggdrasil like an emo alt-rock singer.

Tell that to his face. :o

Shaq_Fuboxart.JPG

Surprisingly, no. I haven't hung out in one of those for a while. I was just looking at Ross Campbell's website last night, and he's got some sketches of creepy fetuses.

I'd pick Thor because he has the hammer which Supwerman doesn't. It gives thor the extra advantage.

If we're talking about the Superman Prime who hibernated in the sun and emerged 800 centuries later, he's got a Green Lantern ring. That evens things out a bit, given that GL rings are at least as versatile as Mjolnir, assuming Thor's not using Mjolnir as little more than a brick on the end of a stick.

Who writes these characters? What is the point of people that strong? That's why sometimes I just can't stand all the money I plunk intom comics. It messes up a story-- why should we expect anyone to be a credible threat to a Superman with even half that power? Or a Wonder Woman (since some people claim she is Superman's equal).

And in general, the hyperbole of it all is too much. Hibernating in the sun? Inside a sun?! Do writers even know what that means? Outracing a spaceship moving at lightspeed? Do they even understand what they are talking about? In JLA: Heaven's Ladder, Mark Waid says that Superman can outrace a photon to it's target... maybe if you don't know anything about the real world that's "cool Superman is strong and fast" but if you at least got to junior/senior year of highschool you should know that's BS. The story was a neat oversized book and I bought it for Hitch art, but that's an example of serious BS that comics regularly throw around. It isn't remotely believable, and worse, it is so outrageous that it makes me question why anyone should care if Superman or Wonder Woman meets a villain-- they are so strong that I ask-- why does it matter. While I don't expect every fight to be like the Superman 666 fights, that is far more believable than a 3 issue "teh JLAz been roxored by Lex again."

Posts like this always make me wonder why the poster is reading comics rather than, say, War and Peace. They're superhero comics, emphasis on the "super." Part of the point is for the characters to have cool powers. It's about half of the foundation that the entire genre is built on, in fact.

To answer your question, no one poses a threat to Superman with that kind of power. That's why, at the conclusion of the story he appeared in, Superman Prime went off with Lois to live happily ever after. No one posed much of a challenge to Rune Thor, either, which is why the ultimate purpose of his attaining all that power and wisdom was to eventually see that the gods were stuck in a never-ending cycle of meaningless death and rebirth. His power was necessary for him to break them out of that cycle, after which he and all the other Asgardian gods died.

As for the regular incarnations of characters, I don't see how you can't find plausible threats for Superman. There are guys who physically outclass him, people who exploit his various weaknesses, magic, etc. There's no such thing as an unbeatable hero, just writers who aren't imaginative enough to challenge them.

Or people who don't read enough to understand that fact.

There's no such thing as an unbeatable hero, just writers who aren't imaginative enough to challenge them.

I think that's the most important thing-- lack of imagination. I argue that it often gives way to a riddiculous level of hyperbole. And that's when I run into problems with some of the books and characters.

While I fancy myself a well read person (haven't read War and Peace though!), I'm not coming down on comics because I think I'm so smart, or because I think I'm better than Hype or anything like that. I'm doing it because I think a lot of writers are just playing this one-up game as far as exploits and not really thinking about how it affects the story. If Wonder Woman really is Superman's equal, why in the world did she not go help Superman when he was fighting Hank Henshaw in the recent one shot? Why wasn't she there during the last issue of Infinite Crisis, if you can outrace a photon there is no place on Earth you couldn't be in instant. Little things like that over time do nag me, and I'm especially more critical of comics when I have expensive weeks too :cwink:

I'm not expecting every fight to be like Action Comics (or was it Superman) 666 (Beasts of Krypton), I know Superman wouldn't actually just kill people but that's closer to how it should be. In Meltzer's last JLA issue, Superman said "I could have Slade in chains within a minute." He could-- but he could've done that with a lot of other people. Problem from DC's perspective is that you wouldn't have much to sell.

I'm not saying that every book has to be From Hell-- I gladly enjoy things like Green Lantern, even when people are talking in space. I'm fine with Superman being weakened by "red sunlight" (lol wut?). That's a neat little weakness. I'm fine with Superman catching people as they fall from buildings. But sometimes writers push it too far. I shouldn't be required to turn my brain all the way off when I read comics.

If I were writing a superhero book I'd definitely lower power levels drastically, or focus not so much on the fighting (for titanic power levels like Superman, WW) but on other issues, moral, emotional ones, the fight would be secondary.

Firstly, "Because he's a god" is a meaningless argument.

Firstly, only someone who don't even know the utility of language would say that pointing out the evident difference between Gods and all else is «a meaningful argument». A God is, in any culture, far superior to any human being. Period. And to be the most powerful God of a given and known Pantheon, is more than enough an argument for the case.

Secondly, I do notice that you did not even answered to the other arguments. You just mention some of Superman Prime's deeds, as if Thor had any. That's not an argument.

Thirdly, I do notice that you did not answer to the other arguments. Significative.

Firstly, only someone who don't even know the utility of language would say that pointing out the evident difference between Gods and all else is «a meaningful argument». A God is, in any culture, far superior to any human being. Period. And to be the most powerful God of a given and known Pantheon, is more than enough an argument for the case.

Secondly, I do notice that you did not even answered to the other arguments. You just mention some of Superman Prime's deeds, as if Thor had any. That's not an argument.

Thirdly, I do notice that you did not answer to the other arguments. Significative.
Firstly, secondly, and thirdly, you come across like Borat in the third grade. Fourthly, Superman-Prime tosses Mr. [fifth-dimensional imp with an unpronounceable name] around like a rag-doll. He killed Monarch, who up until then appeared unkillable. He may not even be dead after causing an explosion that destroyed an entire universe. The guy is pretty much the most dangerous entity in DCU history, with the possible exception of the Anti-Monitor.

uhh, I believe they were talking about Superman Prime from DC 1,000,000. You know, the guy that that circumnavigated the universe, made it past the source wall, saw what no mortal was meant to see, came back to Earth and lived in the sun for 700 years, giving powers to other members of his bloodline who were simply in the same solar system. That one.

Also, Mr. laser, I probably know more about the mighty Thor than you'll ever know. I've read the issues where he had possession of his Rune powers. I saw him obliterate beings that were all but unstoppable in his previous incarnations, and I can still say, that he would get his ass handed to him by galactis, or a Celestial, or any number of cosmic beings who aren't "Gods". Fact is, the term is meaningless when there are still beings that outclass them. I can't believe this even has to be argued. It's just not enough of a reason to give a guy a match. There are beings that are just as powerful if not moreso. The Prime Superman would be one of those beings.

Plus the "gods" in comics (mostly representatives of ancient mythological pantheons, are actually just another classification of cosmic entity, and seem to be quite low on the totem pole as well.

I was about to say how terrible this post was, then I noticed your profile says you are from portugal, so I suppose I can forgive the terrible English. It's not like I've got any kind of Portugese-speaking skills I can brag about.

The terrible logic is pretty bad but I'm not actually sure that you're acquainted with American comic books? See a lot of US superhero comic books make use of "gods" but don't necessarily treat them as more powerful than other superheroes. So with, for example, the Marvel universe's Thor - yes, he is a very powerful character. However, there's no guarantee that he's more powerful than any other character, just due to the fact of his being a "God".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"