Thor's box office competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critics are awesome when they love the geek-friendly projects and the worst people on the planet when they hate them. That's just how it works on the internet. I've gotten used to the reaction from the over-zealous fanboys. The only time reviews really irk me is when they are plot summaries with no actual analysis.

Pirates is going to do well either way. I'm looking forward to it myself.

But Thor's week day legs are important. Can we gauge WOM yet?

I hope for at least 18M over the week which should be doable.

There is a freakish amount of families anxious to see another disney pirates movie, about as many are as will go head off to disney land and them some. It's interesting how the internet will totally throw you off of what's really going down.

Pirates will be huge,
critics will either
1. show their fatigue in reviews(shame on them lol)
2. go in with low expectations and give good reviews(shame on them)

There's a book "On Stranger Tides" that the movie is based. The book has nothing to do with Jack Sparrow, but is based on Blackbeard and the search for the fountain of youth.

The book is pretty good, but I have no idea how close the movie will resemble the book with Jack Sparrow replacing the main character from the book.

Very interesting they chose to do a sequel based on a book that had nothing to do with the original trillogy.

There's a book "On Stranger Tides" that the movie is based. The book has nothing to do with Jack Sparrow, but is based on Blackbeard and the search for the fountain of youth.

The book is pretty good, but I have no idea how close the movie will resemble the book with Jack Sparrow replacing the main character from the book.

Very interesting they chose to do a sequel based on a book that had nothing to do with the original trillogy.

If AWE was anything to go by, they probably realised they needed an actual plot this time. :cwink:

I'm lookin forward to pirates 4. i enjoyed all 3 pirates movies. shoot me. :p

I still do expect sourness from Pirates 3 to hamper #4's gross. Could be the first Pirates film to fail to reach $300M domestic. Anyway, I sure won't be seeing it since I couldn't stand even the first one.

I didn't mean to start another critics bash fest as I find fanboys reviews to be far worst than critics reviews every are.

I find them to be indistinguishable. They're all just opinions at the end of the day. I can come up with those on my own.

The problem with reviews is with this kind of genre film you simply must sort through the many critics who simply were never going to like this kind of film from one's with an open mind who have legitimate critiques of it. It's a hassle.

Thor made 5 million today so he will be just fine. But I'm thinking if Thor didn't have a big weekend, what makes anyone think Cap will do any better? I mean he certainly won't overseas, but as far as here goes, he has so much competition and if the studio pulls off the same 3D ******** they did with Thor, his numbers won't be much better, maybe even lower.

Despite it opening a week after HP, I think it will do well. Cap has that recognition.

I didn't mean to start another critics bash fest as I find fanboys reviews to be far worst than critics reviews every are.

Totally not true. I see critics nitpick over REALLY dumb things, too. It depends on who is writing the review, whether it be critic or user on here. MANY critics have no writing talent what so ever.

Many fan reviews suck, I agree. But, there are also a lot of good critics of films on here. Many of whom write and critique in much better quality.

Last edited:
Thor made 5 million today so he will be just fine. But I'm thinking if Thor didn't have a big weekend, what makes anyone think Cap will do any better? I mean he certainly won't overseas, but as far as here goes, he has so much competition and if the studio pulls off the same 3D ******** they did with Thor, his numbers won't be much better, maybe even lower.

Well, I do think that how Thor's numbers are ultimately perceived will have a lot to do with how the other three comic book movies do this summer. Thor could come away from that comparison looking great, or it could start to look like it underperformed (at least domestically).

Fast Five was highly underated as a box office power house.... at least by me.

At any rate, face it 65 isn't huge but it was on target.

I still think this movie will get more then 200 million domesitc - the movies great really well done, Hopkins Voice sets the tone so well his explanation of ....everything in the beginning of the movie is just fantastic.... didn't really love teh lil Thor lil Loki moment, but I suppose it was a neccessity.

Overall I thought it was perfect for an opener for THor and such a huge Avenger tie in.

No it wasn't huge, but it was still good opening nonetheless.

As far as I was concerned, anything over a $50M OW would have been acceptable. I was thinking $70M(might have been closer if it wasn't for Mother's Day) but $65.7M is very good.

Some were joking that Marvel must have been kicking themselves for not swapping Thor and Cap Am's release dates - the latter would have made a ton of money in the wake of Bin Laden's capture.

Yeah, too bad Marvel lost their crystal ball.

thors biggest comp comes from hemsworth's wife in fast 5.

^Yep. Elsa Pataky...she's hot as well. Hard to believe she's 7 years older than he is.

Elsa+Pataky_Chris+Hemsworth.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back