Why is Thor considered so powerful?

Guyverjay said:
Because it isn't, there doesn't have to be a reason.

Basically because some of your favourites get a whupping it's not continuity maybe? ;)

Horrorfan said:
Basically because some of your favourites get a whupping it's not continuity maybe? ;)

Nah I don't have the power of reality warping, my opinion of the fights can't suddenly make something canon or not. It isn't canon...FACT.

But if you really want to go there...

Venom beat Supermans ass:o

Guyverjay said:
Nah I don't have the power of reality warping, my opinion of the fights can't suddenly make something canon or not. It isn't canon...FACT.

But if you really want to go there...

Venom beat Supermans ass:o

Really? As Carlito would say, 'Das cool'.:up:

And Punisher beating Batman (albiet the Jean Paul Batman) he says 'das cool too'. :up:

Horrorfan said:
). And why not?

It isn't because both Marvel and DC have said "Marvel Vs. DC isn't in continuity!"

Now, JLA/Avengers is at least in DC continuity.

As to U. Cap v. 616 Cap, tell me how U. Cap is going to beat Cap. U. Cap is U.S. Agent level, and Steve Rogers beat the crap out of the U.S. Agent without much difficulty. 616 Cap is smarter than U. Cap, and one of the best martial artists in the MU not to mention having decades of experience on U. Cap (616 Cap has 1939-1945, plus 1998-2006. U. Cap has maybe six years, including WW2, which he didn't get involved in until after Pearl Harbor).

eh how is 1939-1945, plus 1998-2006, "decades of experience"?:confused:

Guyverjay said:
eh how is 1939-1945, plus 1998-2006, "decades of experience"?:confused:

All right, I'm embellishing there, but 616 Cap has been got at least ten years of experience than U. Cap, and 616 Cap has fought much, much, much bigger threats and beaten them.

LibrarianThorne said:
It isn't because both Marvel and DC have said "Marvel Vs. DC isn't in continuity!"

As to U. Cap v. 616 Cap, tell me how U. Cap is going to beat Cap. U. Cap is U.S. Agent level, and Steve Rogers beat the crap out of the U.S. Agent without much difficulty. 616 Cap is smarter than U. Cap, and one of the best martial artists in the MU not to mention having decades of experience on U. Cap (616 Cap has 1939-1945, plus 1998-2006. U. Cap has maybe six years, including WW2, which he didn't get involved in until after Pearl Harbor).
No one can convince me that Normal Cap, who always seemed like a bit of a pansy to me, could take the meaner, tougher, stronger, smarter Cap. If it actually happens, then fine, but till then? Not believing it.

LibrarianThorne said:
All right, I'm embellishing there, but 616 Cap has been got at least ten years of experience than U. Cap, and 616 Cap has fought much, much, much bigger threats and beaten them.

He's also been around for 40 years and has had a few gazzilion appearances.

Not exactly a fair comparison. Ult Cap has been impressive in his limited number of appearances. Ultimate universe or not he IS a version of Captain America. I woud imagine his fighting skills are comparable to the 616 cp

Until U. Cap, stands face to face with Thanos, 616 Cap whips his ass.

LibrarianThorne said:

JLA - Avengers is in Continuity!? It'd be awesome if Thor or someone was refferenced in a DC comic. Kinda like Spidey talked 'bout Batman over in RUNWAYS. :cool:;)

XwolverineX said:
JLA - Avengers is in Continuity!? It'd be awesome if Thor or someone was refferenced in a DC comic. Kinda like Spidey talked 'bout Batman over in RUNWAYS. :cool:;)

What happened in that JLA/A mini? was it a fight or team up situation? If it was a fight who won? Lucky for the JLA the sentry wasn't around then :D

Horrorfan said:
What happened in that JLA/A mini? was it a fight or team up situation? If it was a fight who won? Lucky for the JLA the sentry wasn't around then :D
A bit of both, but not in the real team-against-team way. The JLA would've massacred them if that really happened.

danielisthor said:
Until U. Cap, stands face to face with Thanos, 616 Cap whips his ass.

That sentence doesn't even resemble logic

I love how not being a bigotted, trigger-happy, reactionary, manipulative yesman butthole all of a sudden translates into being a "pansy."

Anypoop, when was JLA vs. Avengers referenced in DC canon? That's pretty cool.

Thor is not just physically powerful but morally so. Only the most morally upright of individuals could lift his hammer( ie Captain America or Beta Ray Bill but not the Hulk)!

Terry

BrianWilly said:
I love how not being a bigotted, trigger-happy, reactionary, manipulative yesman butthole all of a sudden translates into being a "pansy."

No, 'lacking a pair' translates into pansy. Hope that helps :up:

Horrorfan said:
No, 'lacking a pair' translates into pansy. Hope that helps :up:
Lacking a pair? Now that is funny.

Did Cap lack a pair when he stood before the omnipotent Thanos (he had the Infinity Gauntlet) and told Thanos that he would never yield? Did he lack a pair when he even took a swing at him?

Look, Ultimate Captain America is all fine and good. But he's just there for that aura of badassness. Captain America is the guy that appears on the scene, and you know a universal truth.

"There is going to be an ass-kicking now."

And Cap ain't going to be on the recieving end. ;)

The best Cap related quote that I can remember in regards to this is during the Skrull Kill Krew mini as a group of Hydra terrorists have taken over an airport. There's a senator there, cowering in the corner. Captain America stands up, and I'm paraphrasing here:

"There's a million terrorists crawling the airport. What are you going to do? What are you going to do!?"

"I'm going to take care of it."

Let me bring you guys back to topic. But as far as Thor not being, or being too powerful is concerned, it is all up to the writer and how he wants to potray him in that storyline.

Maybe Mike Oeming wants Thor to beat the Hulk in a fight, while Roy Thomas feels other wise.

I know if I was writing Thor I would really cut him loose since so many people have said in the past that Thor was really held back in terms of how powerful he can be.

Did he lack a pair when Korvac recreated the world in his image and left cap to fight him over and over again till Cap finally took back reality?

Vanguard07 said:
Did he lack a pair when Korvac recreated the world in his image and left cap to fight him over and over again till Cap finally took back reality?

Basically, he's always lacked a pair. He always seemed way too clean cut and pretty boy. Ult Cap is kinda that way too but he has a bad ass take no shizer attitude.

Just like I said, turned into a 616 vs Ultimate thread for a couple pages, people are always so touchy about that and this was bound to bring it out.

Horrorfan, do you now have SOME idea why Thor is billed as strong as he is and respected to such an extent around here?

Genesis 1.0 said:
Just like I said, turned into a 616 vs Ultimate thread for a couple pages, people are always so touchy about that and this was bound to bring it out.

Horrorfan, do you now have SOME idea why Thor is billed as strong as he is and respected to such an extent around here?

Yeah but I thought he was more on Superman's level...but if someone said the JLA would slaughter the Avengers, it still makes me wonder how powerful he could actually be (I still maintain Sentry on his own would wipe his ass with the JLA and then tap WW's fine ass :D)

The JLA would slaughter the Avengers because of their outrageous speed advantage. About half of their core members (the big seven) have insanely high degrees of super-speed--Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Superman, and the Flash--and of their remaining core members, only Batman doesn't have any super-speed. Compare that to the Avengers, who've only had a handful of characters in their entire history with high degrees of super-speed. Superman easily outdoes 616 Thor in speed, but they're roughly about the same in strength and 616 Thor easily outdoes Superman in versatility. Superman can punch, use his cold breath, and emit heat from his eyes; Thor can punch, emit anything from the electromagnetic spectrum from his hammer, call on any weather effect he wants, teleport, and use magic to a limited extent.

The JLA would also slaughter the Ultimates (more easily than they would the Avengers, I'd bet), if that helps put in perspective for you, since your 616 experience is limited.

As for the Sentry, his power level has fluctuated so much in his short existence that it's basically just a big question mark right now. I definitely couldn't even guess at how powerful he is, so maybe he could beat the JLA by himself or maybe he couldn't. No clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"