Why is Thor considered so powerful?

Horrorfan said:
Basically, he's always lacked a pair. He always seemed way too clean cut and pretty boy. Ult Cap is kinda that way too but he has a bad ass take no shizer attitude.
I like how you completely ignored my post, depicting just what kind of a badass 616 Cap really is. This is the man that has faced down Thanos, Dr. Doom, Kang etc.

He does not "lack a pair". :o

Also, for anyone who brings up the fact that Cap didn't actually fight Thanos, he fought and defeated the Red Skull while the Skull had a Cosmic Cube. That's cosmic-level power right there, taken down by an only slightly enhanced, flesh-and-blood man.

TheCorpulent1 said:
The JLA would slaughter the Avengers because of their outrageous speed advantage. About half of their core members (the big seven) have insanely high degrees of super-speed--Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Superman, and the Flash--and of their remaining core members, only Batman doesn't have any super-speed. Compare that to the Avengers, who've only had a handful of characters in their entire history with high degrees of super-speed. Superman easily outdoes 616 Thor in speed, but they're roughly about the same in strength and 616 Thor easily outdoes Superman in versatility. Superman can punch, use his cold breath, and emit heat from his eyes; Thor can punch, emit anything from the electromagnetic spectrum from his hammer, call on any weather effect he wants, teleport, and use magic to a limited extent.

The JLA would also slaughter the Ultimates (more easily than they would the Avengers, I'd bet), if that helps put in perspective for you, since your 616 experience is limited.

As for the Sentry, his power level has fluctuated so much in his short existence that it's basically just a big question mark right now. I definitely couldn't even guess at how powerful he is, so maybe he could beat the JLA by himself or maybe he couldn't. No clue.

If speed made great fighters (in comics), Quicksilver would pwn most of the Marvel universe. I don't honestly t hink super speed has much of an impact in the outcome as you do but thats just me.

As for the Ultimates? I still say they would take JLA. They have some of the most brilliant minds on the planet who I'm sure could make up ways of defeating supes and the more powerful members, not even mentioning (imo) the stronger, meaner hulk. Ult. Cap is every bit the tactician Bats is and then some, with enchanced strength and speed and pure bad assness. He's Captain America, and I have no doubt he would pull the ultimates through (though they would still have to deal with the hulk).

You have a point about Sentry, but I still say if he could take the hulk out with NO effort, he would have little trouble with superman, who has barely taken out hulk before.

Well, I'm done here. Different strokes for different folks. If you believe the Ultimates could take every team in comicdom, I won't dispute it with you.

Depends, are we talking just the big 7 or the whole JLA line-up? The JLA would pretty much win in any case but it's the difference between a battle and a slaughter.

Also Quicksilver doesn't even approach the speed of most of the big 7.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Well, I'm done here. Different strokes for different folks. If you believe the Ultimates could take every team in comicdom, I won't dispute it with you.

:up: Good choice.

Thank you. Frankly, pointing things out just to have you ignore them was becoming boring. :)

TheCorpulent1 said:
Thank you. Frankly, pointing things out just to have you ignore them was becoming boring. :)

SuperMAN. Thor, GOD of thunder ;)

And Sentry owns all the JLA at once, ever, left, right and center, and twice on sundays.

Horrorfan said:
And Sentry owns all the JLA at once, ever, left, right and center, and twice on sundays.
How familiar are you with the JLA anyway? It's not just Superman y'know. I'm talking the big leagues like Orion, Phantom Stranger, Dr. Fate etc. etc.

Was the Phantom Stranger ever a member? I don't recall his being on the team officially.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Was the Phantom Stranger ever a member? I don't recall his being on the team officially.
He never refused membership and did at one time refer to himself as a member, so I'd say he counts.

Oh, I thought he was just one of their many "consultants." Which basically means he'll come if the League calls. Which, really, constitutes virtually every superhero on DC Earth, except maybe the Rocket Reds. ;)

TheCorpulent1 said:
Oh, I thought he was just one of their many "consultants." Which basically means he'll come if the League calls. Which, really, constitutes virtually every superhero on DC Earth, except maybe the Rocket Reds. ;)
Even then, if we discount him, we're still talking the Kent Nelson Dr. Fate amongst others, who was no slouch either.

JLA would decimate the Avengers ... They would laugh at the Ultimates, due to how more real-life the Ults. are compared to the 616.

Corp. - Remember You are replying to a guy who asked the question why is Thor considered so powerful. Apparently, this guy is a NOOB.

Now he's saying that Thor would destory Superman, but pages ago he asked us all why Thor is powerful. Make up your mind.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Also, for anyone who brings up the fact that Cap didn't actually fight Thanos, he fought and defeated the Red Skull while the Skull had a Cosmic Cube. That's cosmic-level power right there, taken down by an only slightly enhanced, flesh-and-blood man.

That is reaaallllllly silly though:(

Thats almost as bad as Dr Doom with the watchers power being taken down by Blackbolt:confused:

Guyverjay said:
That is reaaallllllly silly though:(

Thats almost as bad as Dr Doom with the watchers power being taken down by Blackbolt:confused:
Apparently the Red Skull just doesn't know how to use a cosmic cube very well. It was written well enough for me at the time, though.

BrianWilly said:
I love how not being a bigotted, trigger-happy, reactionary, manipulative yesman butthole all of a sudden translates into being a "pansy."

Anypoop, when was JLA vs. Avengers referenced in DC canon? That's pretty cool.

It was referenced in Busiek's run on JLA, collected in the Syndicate Rules trade. Metron is watching the new universe that Krona created.

JLA creaming the Avengers? I dont think so. But I will talk about the New Avengers since, its the most modern Avengers. And I am going to talk about the main Justice League characters.

Luke Cage has unbreakable skin, super strength, and is not dumb. I think he would be able to take on Johnn. But, I do think Luke would lose, but it wouldn't be by much.

Iron man could take Green Lantern in my opinion. Would it be easy? No way. But Ironman is very strong, fast, and has a good defense.

Captain America could take Batman. It would be a good and close match.

The Sentry could fight Superman. We dont know exactly how strong Sentry is so I am not sure who would win.

Spider-woman could probably beat Hawkgirl in my opinion.

Wolverine would fight Wonderwoman, but I doubt Wolverine would win. But he would fight. He could tangle with the Hulk (not winning of course) so he can stand with Wonderwoman.

And Spiderman could fight Flash. Spiderman is agile, but I doubt he could beat that incredibly fast man.

ultimates vs jla?

maybe they could take down one of the jla (not inc batman) if they were hungover or something....

MajinShenron said:
Luke Cage has unbreakable skin, super strength, and is not dumb. I think he would be able to take on Johnn. But, I do think Luke would lose, but it wouldn't be by much.

By Johnn do you mean Martian Manhunter? Because I don't think Luke Cage could win that fight...if not MM, who do you mean?

MajinShenron said:
JLA creaming the Avengers? I dont think so. But I will talk about the New Avengers since, its the most modern Avengers. And I am going to talk about the main Justice League characters.

Are you freaking high? Jonn is like slightly under Superman and Wonder Woman in terms of strength, plus he's a Charles Xavier level telepath, plus he's a shape shifter. I mean, do you even know what the Manhunter can do?
Iron man could take Green Lantern in my opinion. Would it be easy? No way. But Ironman is very strong, fast, and has a good defense.

I think you really are high
Captain America could take Batman. It would be a good and close match.
Thats accurate/

The Sentry could fight Superman. We dont know exactly how strong Sentry is so I am not sure who would win.

The Sentry is the only one that can give them trouble. I'm still kinda conviced he could take Supes. But the entire JLA? I don't know man, because thats ultimately what it would come down to. Because the rest of these guys would be made short work of.
Spider-woman could probably beat Hawkgirl in my opinion.

Why would you include Hawkgirl when talking about the main members of the league? She was only with them for like, what? A week? Durign Obsidian Age? Or are you talking pre crisis Hawkgirl? Or Hawk Woman from Thanagar? Either way, it could go either way really.

Wolverine would fight Wonderwoman, but I doubt Wolverine would win. But he would fight. He could tangle with the Hulk (not winning of course) so he can stand with Wonderwoman.

WW would kick him into orbit.
And Spiderman could fight Flash. Spiderman is agile, but I doubt he could beat that incredibly fast man.

Correct.

You know, I get the feeling your basing your entire opinion of the League on the cartoon, which doesn't count if your using the Avengers from the comics. If thats the case then we should be doing the Justice League from the DCAU versus the Avengers Assemble team from the cartoon in the 90's. Which would be a blood bath.

I'm pretty sure MajinShenron was just naming the animated JLU line-up. I only agree with his assessment of the Cap/Batman and Spider-Woman/Hawkgirl fights, although Hawkgirl's not one of the core JLA members.

IMO JLA vs the Current lineup of Avengers would win hands down
Classic(or As powerful team assembled) JLA vs Avengers?? I say Avengers

AS far as any of the Ultimate line vs. 616 line?? Also If I recall aren't the 616 line much more stronger than the Ultimate line????
In regards to the Ultimate Hulk being more ruthless than the 616 Hulk?? ever heard of Mr Fixit.. ie. Grey Hulk??? That is one ruthless guy!!

Anyways to get back to why is Thor considered so powerful? Thor power is written as powerful or as weak as the writter wants. When Thor is written to be powerful he scares off Galactus with God Blast and causes problems to the Celestials!! When written not so powerful he beaten by Hulk and Juggeraunt with ease!! As with any comic title it depends in what the writter wants to write the character their in charge as??? !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"