Underrated Films: Your Opinion

I liked The Illusionist. I think The Prestige was better, but I enjoy both films. That seems to be a rarity though. Most people who like one, hate the other. I'm not sure why. It's like a DC/Marvel rivalry with period films about magicians.

Haywire.

It was one of the best esponionage movies I've seen in years, and the cinematography and direction were immaculate.

I agree. So far one of my favorite of the year. Also, I want Fassbender as Bond.

The Illusionist.

Here, at least, it seems to get very overshadowed by The Prestige, but I honestly think it to be the better film of the two.

The Prestige has David Bowie as Tesla. It wins.

...it's hard to disagree with that logic.

Braincandy. It's hard to even find a DVD copy. My old roommate managed to find it sharing a disc with "Back to the Beach" which has nothing in common with it, other than being a comedy. Also, Back to the Beach is a terrible movie.

I find the movie not only hilarious and original, but it has some really great cinematograpy and visuals. Not just for a comedy, but for film in general. Braincandy's got eyecandy. The soundtrack is also great.

MV5BMjA4NTczOTE2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzcyNTQyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

Such a funny film. if you haven't watched it before you should.

Even if its just for this scene

[YT]bHDscnYlwjc[/YT]

I have a few, and I will try to not mention TOO MANY that have already been mentioned, but some will be repeats from previous posters...

The Mist: My second favorite Stephen King film, behind only The Shawshank Redemption. I feel like everyone who sees it thinks it is great, but most people haven't seen it. That ending is just awesome, too.

Frequency: I thought my old roommate was BSing me when he told me this movie I had barely even heard of was one of his favorites. Such a good movie.

Drag Me To Hell: To me, this is one of the best, most fun, horror movies of the last decade, at least. I love it, but it slipped under most people's radar (the internet movie nerds like us don't count; believe it or not, the average person probably doesn't even know Sam Raimi directed Spider-Man, much less Evil Dead).

Trick 'r Treat: Basically the same as Drag Me To Hell, except this one didn't even get a theatrical release.

Titanic: Yes, it is the second biggest movie of all time. However, it gets trashed all the time. When it came out, all guys thought it was "gay" and hated it because all the girls loved it and wouldn't shut up about it. Now, after that time has passed, it still gets hated on by a lot of cinema elitists because hating James Cameron is the cool thing to do. I watched this movie for the first time in almost 15 years when my wife dragged me to see the 3d rerelease. This is actually a damn good movie.

Another one I forgot to say-

The Princess and the Frog: actually a really good Disney movie, but is often written off and forgotten because people saw it as the "black princess" movie and nothing more.

^It also "underperformed" at the box office, and too much was made of that. But I agree, it is underrated, and very good.

Red State. I know critics didn't really love it and it didn't do great at the box office (because it really wasn't released), but it is an awesome film. Beginning to end it sucked me in and didn't let up. It's a shame Kevin Smith is going to retire after his next film, because Red State is Smith at his absolute best. I'd place it in my top 5 favorite films of all time.

For years, I was absolutely obsessed with Kevin Smith and his movies. However, I still have not seen Red State.

For years, I was absolutely obsessed with Kevin Smith and his movies. However, I still have not seen Red State.

You're doing yourself a massive disservice. Seriously. It's available on Netflix instant streaming as well as being pretty easy to find elsewhere. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's his masterpiece. Michael Parks steals the show, his performance is masterful. John Goodman brings his A-game as well.

Click - I just dont understand why it's got such a bad rep

HULK, but that's me

Strangely, I didn't like Sunshine at all.

The concept was great, but it just felt like everything else fell short.

Yeah, the main problem with Sunshine is that they took a fantastic concept, then abandoned it about halfway through for what basically amounted to 'Nightmare On Elm Street In Space".

That was one issue, definitely.

There was something else too though. Something about the entire presentation of it. I can't quite put my finger on what it was.

Walter Hill's "Red Heat."
A fun movie and one one Arnold's best performances.

I really really like The Crow Salvation. The third Crow film.

Sure it was not as dark as the first two, in fact it dosent even really seem much like a Crow movie, but the story line I thought was absolutely wonderful especially for a character like The Crow and I enjoyed the story line and the movie very much.

However, none of them are even close to as good as the original The Crow in Brandon Lee.

Super Mario Bros is terrific. It's like Blade Runner for kids.
Reading this got me thinking I won't watch Blade Runner trying to view it as a good movie

Captain America: The First Avenger. I think it's one of the best shot comic book movies ever.

Ang Lee's Hulk. Seriously, the idea is both brave and genius.

'What if the Hulk had a son?'

I don't see the question either
But I agree about Ang's Hulk being underrated

Yeah, for its intention alone, Hulk is better than people give it credit for.

Hulk tried to do something different and for that, I'll always respect it. I don't, however, particularly like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"