Underworld: Next Generation

Is this turning into another Fast and Furious franchise. Meaning actors who have no other prospects keep making these films?

Most of the actors in Fast and Furious have other prospects... don't see how it relates to Underworld. No one in that credits list looks desperate for work either.

From what I just read it is the other way around. He left her.

Charles Dance, Lara Pulver, Tobias Menzies, and Theo James certainly don't really struggle to get work. Neither do Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Michael Ealy, etc, who were in the previous films.

Is this turning into another Fast and Furious franchise. Meaning actors who have no other prospects keep making these films?
Most of the actors in Fast and Furious have other prospects... don't see how it relates to Underworld. No one in that credits list looks desperate for work either.
As much as I contrast this franchise with F&F, it's a little more complicated than that.

One of the reasons they were able to get the cast back together for Fast 4 was (I've always assumed) because they didn't wind up having the meteoric rise in prospects that appeared to be in store after the first one (hence why most didn't return for 2 & 3), but now since they all rejoined, it's this hugely successful franchise that they can really be proud of. Compare this to The Italian Job remake, which was all set for a sequel until the entire cast blew up pretty much all at once. But with F&F I suspect that a good script that gave the actors some solid material on their characters didn't hurt either.

I don't think Underworld really falls into that either way. It seems to be more a studio and creative team more concerned with creating something that looks and sounds cool and less with making the most out of the cast and the narrative elements they've established. I suppose that's where F&F started, but Underworld hasn't quite escaped from it.

That was longer than I thought it was gonna be. :hmr:

I think the thing that bothers me the most about what I've seen of the new Underworld is this:

The whole hook of the first movie was that the war between the Vampires and the Werewolves had been going on for centuries, until finally Selene figured out the truth, and things became much more nuanced as she realized the whole thing was much more complicated. Now here we are 4 films later...and we're pretty much back to just Vampires vs. Werewolves.

Not even. I thought the resurrected Selene was a letdown. And none of the action scenes made a big impression to me. The sets and VFX looked decen though and I am assuming the budget for this is more or less 60/million.

People laughed when the main villain was killed but I was just like so over it. I was kinda hoping for some really cheese fest like Resident Evil but no. It is not good and its not so bad so good either.

SOOOOO did the movie leak???

{Edit}

Not a drill, definitely leaked. Hopefully it doesn't hurt opening weekend too bad.

Last edited:
If it bombs it's because it was pirated. If it was a success it is inspite of the pirated copies. Just like Expendables 3, there is no consideration on whether the leaked movie was any good or not (in the case of Expendables 3, it was not) to justify the claim of piracy impacting its box office.

I'm not touching the pirated copy. If I want to watch movie I go to the theater or wait for it on DVD/Blu-Ray or streaming on Netflix.

$45m overseas already, and it hasn't opened in the UK, Italy, Spain or France yet. Not bad, not bad at all.

I'm probably going to go see this tomorrow. Not exactly good films, but I enjoy them.

$45m overseas already, and it hasn't opened in the UK, Italy, Spain or France yet. Not bad, not bad at all.

Production budget was only $35 million. So it should be profitable.

I'm probably going to go see this tomorrow. Not exactly good films, but I enjoy them.
I don't know if I will see it in the theater, but yeah. Not the best movies, but I enjoy them, if just for Kate.

Production budget was only $35 million. So it should be profitable.
Yep, which is a good sign for at least one more.

Anybody know why Scott Speedman didn't come back? Complete buzzkill Michael was recast.

But Michael is actually in the film? That's an improvement over Awakening.

Yep, Michael is back. A recast of the second most important character in the franchise is a total buzzkill indeed.

But Michael is actually in the film? That's an improvement over Awakening.

Only in his hybrid form I believe.

As much as I love and enjoy this series. It's always been funny how they propped Michael up as the 2nd Coming in the 1st film. Only to become an afterthought after so much build up. The power balance shifted more towards Selene every since Evolution.

Last edited:
I think the thing that bothers me the most about what I've seen of the new Underworld is this:

The whole hook of the first movie was that the war between the Vampires and the Werewolves had been going on for centuries, until finally Selene figured out the truth, and things became much more nuanced as she realized the whole thing was much more complicated. Now here we are 4 films later...and we're pretty much back to just Vampires vs. Werewolves.

The studio completely squandered the potential of this franchise. Even though the first three films weren't too well made, there was such a rich mythology of the films. The films had backstory that was tremendously written. Even if you don't care for the first film in particular, you saw that there was so much underneath that didn't feel contrived or arrogantly placed. If these films were just well made, Kevin Grevioux's story could have been much more than it ended up being. Then the prequel was made and there still wasn't enough money made. And then the fourth film happened and well...here we are.

As much as I love and enjoy this series. It's always been funny how they propped Michael up as the 2nd Coming in the 1st film. Only to become an afterthought after so much build up. The power balance shifted more towards Selene every since Evolution.

I agree. The entire first film centered around Michael. Then by the fourth film, well...remember that one Michael dude? What the hell was his deal?

:o

I actually enjoyed the first two films in the series, I watched them both recently for the first time. The action scenes were very well done and I loved the dark, gothic cinematography style. And Beckensale is just naturally striking and captivating onscreen. I haven't seen Rise of the Lycans and Awakening yet but I'm looking forward to catching up and watching the new one. They're dumb fun movies, they're like the more serious version of the Resident Evil movies.

Well, Scott Speedman didn't start ****ing the director, Beckinsale did, hence why Selene got more focus.

Beckinsale left her husband.

Time swoop in.

iNlv600.gif

Ugh so old and fat. Michael Bay was right. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001