Civil War Users Rate & Review Civil War (TAG Spoilers!)

They nailed him. Especially him being a kid and constantly quipping.

Everything was exceptional.
His affection for Aunt May. Him tinkering around with gadgets. His nerdy, unsure ways. His brief but powerful hint at Uncle Ben. This is proof positive that Marvel truly gets their characters.

His affection for Aunt May. Him tinkering around with gadgets. His nerdy, unsure ways. His brief but powerful hint at Uncle Ben. This is proof positive that Marvel truly gets their characters.

Yeah his whole speech to Stark was great. Not to mention the airport fight.:hmr:

The speech to Stark was phenomenal, I was really really really close to crying during that scene. Subtle but really powerful.

:hehe: I'd like to try 4D one of these days.

Anyone who can should with this film - that airport fight was like a very cool, thriller, and hilarious roller coaster ride.

Guys, this movie should not have worked. It should not have worked. There's so much going on and so many different characters, but it all flows together so wonderfully. Every characters motivations and actions are almost pitch perfect.

Am I the only who really loved Zemo in this? He was so subtle and cryptic. I thought Bruhl did a great job.

Am I the only who loved Zemo in this? He was so subtle and cryptic. I thought Bruhl did a great job.

They need to continue to do sympathetic villains. Was he evil? Yeah. But he was also real. One of the very few great MCU villains put on film. I am seriously excited about Infinity because the Russos are getting the villains right. Loki, Winter Soldier (kinda), and Zemo - they did 2/3 of them... Thanos is gonna be boss!

They need to continue to do sympathetic villains. Was he evil? Yeah. But he was also real. One of the very few great MCU villains put on film. I am seriously excited about Infinity because the Russos are getting the villains right. Loki, Winter Soldier (kinda), and Zemo - they did 2/3 of them... Thanos is gonna be boss!

I was pleasantly surprised. I expected Zemo to be a throw away character but they really made him (somewhat) sympathetic. The Russos doing Infinity War is just so awesome.

While I just got out of my first showing, I'm pretty sure this will hold up as my new favorite MCU film. It is great on its own but the backstory provided by so many other MCU flicks makes everything so much more meaningful and rewarding.

Am I the only who really loved Zemo in this? He was so subtle and cryptic. I thought Bruhl did a great job.

I have to agree I also loved Zemo in this. I know the MCU gets **** for a lot of its villains. And some of them I understand why like Malekith. But Zemo I thought was great. And even though he was only in the beginning I really enjoyed Crossbones as well.

zemo plot was way very flimsy , needed way too many variables to fall in place for it to work

zemo plot was way very flimsy , needed way too many variables to fall in place for it to work

I liked that though. He bet on circumstance and it worked in his favor every time. It's part of what made him so cunning. At least imo.

9.5/10

Marvel's finest work yet. It had the right amount of action, suspense, drama and humor. Infinity War is in the best hands with the Russos.

4/5

One of Marvel's finest works yet, but by the end of the movie I felt like not enough was accomplished.

8/10 for me

It felt like a Captain America movie to me. The tone was more serious than Avengers. The first hour didn't even have that much action. RDJ was the best Stark since IM1. He was funny but not overboard.

Spider-Man was perfect. He was quippy without being annoying like Garfield was. Wish we had more with Lang but the "Who are you?" line was perfect.

And I can't wait to see Black Panther again.

Just came back loved it!!!

Pros
Spidey black panther
Downey and Evans at their prime
Great use of subtle humor
Great action although the shaky cam got a little bit too much in the beginning
Story was great I couldn't believe it was over I wanted more

Cons
Sluggish start
Zemo as a villain
Shaky cam
Underwhelming score

My rating 9/10

Zemo was a good villain. Definitely won't get enough credit in the long run but he was impressive in what little we saw of him.

Won't give it a rating until tomorrow morning, need to digest everything. It left me wanting more even though the movie was 2 and a half hours. It lived up to the hype, I loved it. Most importantly, Black Panther was amazing and Spidey is finally HOME! The potential this movie opened up for these two characters alone is an accomplishment on its own. God bless the Russos, they knocked this one out of the park.

9/10 for me. everyone has pretty much nailed all the pros. Zemo was surprisingly sympathetic. I guess some more Sharon time would've been great but I loved to the buildup of the movie. Spidey shouldn't have been there but damn am I glad he was.

For a long time, the 3rd movie in a superhero franchise was a hurdle simply no franchise could cross. Even some of the ones we would argue being more successful than others, like The Dark Knight Rises or Iron Man 3, are still looked at by the majority as the low points of those franchises. The newest franchise to hit the mark was the Captain America franchise. Even when the release slot for the film was announced, it was met with controversy, being seen as a clear sign of war from Marvel to DC against their own similarly themed superhero film this year. Skinny Steve Rogers became the little guy that could beat the impossible, and today is one of those days where as a life long fan of the character, I am pleased to say the Captain once again did the impossible: it is the first superhero film to beat the 3rd film curse, delivering what is not only a 3rd film that doesn't suck, it equals and in some ways, improves on the prior installments.

Where did so many others go wrong? There have been many answers to this. Movies like Superman III, Batman Forever, and X-Men: The Last Stand heavily shifted creative team and tone for the worse. Spider-Man 3 was brought down by the sheer number of plot lines and villains. Iron Man 3 presented us with a divisive vision of certain characters and various plot points. The Dark Knight Rises just ended up feeling like a rehashed mixture of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. So, where did Captain America: Civil War succeed where all these contenders failed? Well, this movie does in many ways feel like Captain America's 2nd movie, given the 1st entry was a WWII based movie that took place in an entirely different era. This was also the 2nd movie the Russos worked on. But I think the core answer is that the Russos looked at where they took Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and expanded upon it. Sure, they go bigger and more epic, but the do so in a way that is organic to where the series was going. Bravo to the Russos for avoiding the pitfalls of the past, and showing a way to use the “bigger and better” method without it feeling forced and interrupting the core point of the series.

Going into the film, my biggest worry was as the cast continued to expand and promise more Avengers characters, I worried Captain America would become a secondary character much the way Michael Keaton's Batman did to the villains in the Tim Burton films. I had hope this wouldn't happen given how masterfully the Russos juggled plot lines in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and they succeed at it once again. The film is most certainly a Captain America film, and Captain America shines as the main protagonist. While prior installments focused on what Captain America's role in the modern times were, we see a Captain America who knows who he is, what he means to society, and he knows what his decisions mean to the world, and like Steve always does, he fights for what he thinks is right and best for the world. Chris Evans manages to bring out Steve Rogers the man, and Steve Rogers, the symbol, so well in these films. He truly embodies Captain America like Robert Downey Jr embodies Tony Stark. On the subject of Tony Stark, bravo to the Russos for using Iron Man in a role that didn't hijack the movie, continued his arc organically, and taking the character into a very interesting direction. Stark never feels like a true villain (like he did in the comic) and you can understand exactly where Stark is coming from, even if he doesn't weild the power of the protagonist to the same degree we are used to.

I'm not going to go into individual breakdowns of all the Avengers, but you really cannot watch this without discussing two new comers in particular: Black Panther and Spider-Man. Let's start with Spider-Man. Much needed to be done after the prior Spider-Man films tarnished the brand. He needed a make over, and Marvel Studios get him right. This Peter Parker feels like Peter Parker in a way I never felt Andrew Garfield ever did, and he captured Spider-Man in a way I feel Tobey Maguire never did. He is like, a perfect melding of the two, and I look forward to seeing him some more. But, outside of Captain America and Iron Man, the true standout of this movie is Black Panther. Boseman nails the character, and the Russos use him perfectly in the story. His arc of vengeance and blood lust ties into the theme perfectly, and he steals much of the movie whenever he is on screen. If you were not excited for the Black Panther solo before, this will change most people's minds. The new faces add much to the movie, and the familiar ones get moments to shine all throughout.

As always with Marvel, it is not always a question of what we're watching now, but we're always looking at the future. Captain America: Civil War shakes the foundation of the Avengers, and there are many questions to be asked of the direction the team will take in future films and how the Sokovia Accords will effect other solos coming up in the very near future in the lead up to the battle against Thanos (in particular for me, how this will effect Ant-Man and the Wasp), but that is part of the fun with the shared universe and time will tell on those points. For the time being, let's enjoy what we got here. Captain America: Civil War is one of Marvel's finest films. I don't want to call it the best yet, as I would like to see it again before making that judgment call. But, my first impression is that this movie deserves all the accolades, the money, and this has cemented Captain America as not just a proud franchise, but the BEST superhero trilogy to date. At least, in my eyes it is.

Overall Rating - 5/5

I just got back home from a late screening, so I'm pretty tired right now. Won't be able to say too much right now but ...

Best Marvel Studios movie to date. Best comic book movie since The Dark Knight. I definitely plan to see the movie again to confirm those initial thoughts. I can't wait to see it again. :up:

The best comic movie in my opinion was Cap: The Winter Soldier but this one... Cap: Civil War just became the new Champ in my book. This movie had it all. It's so good, but yet, you feel so conflicted...who do you root for? Why do you root for them, Zemo actually had an end game...he pulled so many strings in this movie, his impact was felt. I not only enjoyed it....it was paced brilliant. When it was over...i didnt want it to be over. I was amazed with how the Russo Brothers, blended in every character in this film and will make the Infinity Wars super enjoyable. Everyone stole the show, not just 1 Avenger. Notables and spoilers.....I'm going to enjoy this spider man....he came off as believable and enjoyable. Black Panther...dude..whens his movie coming....cant wait. And I felt the pain in their conflict. It's like you have loyalty versus responsibility. Best comic movie ever because how do you come back from this? This played like a comic thru and thru. Well Played Russo's...Well Played 10/10

I can't write a review because it would just be saying how awesome everything is. Suffice it to say I think this was easily the best Marvel flick to date. Everything from story to action to character dynamics was just SO on point. The only thing I can even think a critical thought about right now is the score, which was lackluster and a step down from that of TWS, imo. Otherwise, just...wow. 9.5/10.

One of the best comic flicks and most entertaining films out there. I couldn't believe how well done Spidey was. Easily the best interpretation I have seen an I'm a huge fan of the Raimi films. Still need to let this film kick in a bit, but overall this was near perfection and a phenomenal character balancing act with top notch depth, heart, humor, action, themes and all the other reasons us fans go to these.

5/5

I told myself I would let it sit for a while, but as of right now I cannot thing of anything to complain about. Not even any nit picks. Every character was used well, and I actually really liked Zemo. I don't know what there is to say about Panther and Spidey that hasn't already been said, but they were perfect. The action throughout was just incredible. Every scene of hand to hand was hard-hitting and well choreographed. The movie was also extremely emotional from beginning to end, with humor in just the right places to keep it from being overbearing.

This has replaced Avengers as my #1 CBM. I don't mean to be that guy, but this movie is a 10/10 to me. Not a score I throw out lightly.

I just got back home from a late screening, so I'm pretty tired right now. Won't be able to say too much right now but ...

Best Marvel Studios movie to date. Best comic book movie since The Dark Knight. I definitely plan to see the movie again to confirm those initial thoughts. I can't wait to see it again. :up:

Not trying to pick on you here, but your review and your signature with the top ten films don't quite add up.

I think I need to wait for the prisoner of the moment reviews like this one to die down before I give my take on the film.

For now I'll just say that I think people should try to take Spider-Man out of the equation since he has really nothing to do with the plot at all. That might help bring the film's flaws into focus.

Before the torches get lit, let me just say that I had a lot of fun over the course of the nearly two and a half hours. Marvel definitely has a successful formula, but this was not on par with "The Winter Soldier." That movie had a complete arsenal. This was just mindless entertainment. There is nothing wrong with that when judging it on its own, but it doesn't deserve these "best ever" taglines.

Last edited:
Loved spiderman and blackpanther in this but Garfield is still the best spiderman for sure. The writing with spiderman was great though very funny but Garfield was the better performance. I don't know how I would rank the movie over all. I thought it started off kind of slow over all as it felt like there was a lot of talking but not much really going on up in till we see peter. After that the movie was amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"