Venom Venom's Box Office Thread

‘Venom’ Bound To Be In The Black With Marvelous $80M October Opening; ‘A Star Is Born’ Hits $44M High Note

SATURDAY AM WRITETHRU after Friday 11:07PM update: Sony can breathe a giant sigh of relief as their Marvel-verse Venom is absolutely working at the domestic box office with what is now estimated to be an $80M weekend after a $32.9M Friday, both quite easily October records besting Gravity‘s $55.7M opening weekend and Paranormal Activity 3‘s opening day of $26.3M. If Saturday holds at -15% or better for Friday, Venom can swing past $80M.

I hope this movie has some surprisingly long sexy She-Venom legs at the box office.

Very good start considering all the negatvity surrounding this film. Definitely exceeded my expectations, assuming the early estimates hold. Appears that it will open in the AM&TW/DS range so $200 million-plus domestic is certainly on the table.

A great Venom film could open to 100 m +. I don't want a stupid Avi-verse but if they do make a sequel please hire Donny Cates to write it. Thanks.

It definitely looks like Venom will exceed BO expectations. A sequel appears likely. :wowe:

It definitely looks like Venom will exceed BO expectations. A sequel appears likely. :wowe:
After all the **** this movie has been receiving since the day it was announced, that would make me very happy :smgs:

Good. Now I can go see the good movie (A Star is Born) with less crowds.

this could be a bad thing now sony will make more solo spidey villain movies like morbius and kraven i want to see those villains in spderman films not solo films

There's trailer released already so I voted for 400-450M.

Hmm, my prediction from 5 months ago is looking good.

Venom Cinemascore: B+

Toxic word of mouth and terrible legs incoming.

I agree, B+ CS is not good. Hopefully Venom can have a 2nd weekend drop like Thor, which also had B+ CS (plus Thor is a summer movie so probably dropped on weekend more than an October movie).

Last edited:

2nLCBtVR_o.png

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie despite its flaws. I would love to see a sequel so i'm glad to hear it's having a good start for its box office gross.

this could be a bad thing now sony will make more solo spidey villain movies like morbius and kraven i want to see those villains in spderman films not solo films

It is possible to do a Kraven Movie without Spiderman if they have Kraven's hunting obsession center on Venom instead. Seeing Venom as the Ultimate Prey.

And Kraven is just such a fun character. I would love to see an actor doing an over the top russian accent and saying things like "I live for THE HUNT!".

Kraven's Last Hunt is also one of the best Spider-Man Stories in comic books so if a Kraven movie provides the groundwork for that to get adapted into a movie even if it's altered in some ways it would DEFINITELY be worth it.

Oh my god, you want the people who made this movie to do a dark gritty tale like KLH?

Part of made KLH great is Kraven's long standing history with Spider-Man, which made his quest to finally catch his ultimate prey so good. Because its the one that eluded him for years. You want to substitute Spider-Man for someone who jumps in lobster tanks and makes out with the symbiote?

You know what, after reading back over what I just said, that would be perfect for the Arad-verse.

Last edited:
Oh my god, you want the people who made this movie to do a dark gritty tale like KLH?

Part of made KLH great is Kraven's long standing history with Spider-Man, which made his quest to finally catch his ultimate prey so good. Because its the one that eluded him for years.

True, true. Maybe it would be better for MCU writers to help with a KLH movie like they helped with Homecoming? But regardless I just really would like to see it get adapted at some point on the big screen. An animated movie is also an option but that didn't work so well for Killing Joke even though DC usually does a lot better with their animated projects than live action and has many more high quality cartoons than Marvel overall.

After all the **** this movie has been receiving since the day it was announced, that would make me very happy :smgs:

Indeed, with all of the heat on Sony and critics scratching their heads at the film, it's nice to see that audiences gave the movie a fair chance any way.

Told ya so. The 60 mil estimate WAS way too low. Venom will definitely make 75-85 million this weekend.

Venom is the most popular Spider Man villain. Those underestimating the potential of this movie probably don’t get that. Also they absolutely nailed the characterization of Venom and Eddie Brock. Marvel studios MUST adopt Venom into the MCU!

‘Venom’ Still Showing $80M Fangs; ‘A Star Is Born’ Hitting $42M+ High Note In Record October Weekend

SATURDAY 11:44 PM UPDATE: Sony’s Venom is still pacing toward an $80M opening after a strong Saturday of $27.2M, -17% from Friday, a percent ease that’s in the Friday-to-Saturday sphere of Guardians of the Galaxy (-18%), and a tad steeper than Justice League (-15%).

That speaks volumes about why Venom is so high-up on the studio’s domestic B.O. opener list: In Marvel comic book canon and even in Spider-Man 3, the black-clad fanged anti-hero is a spinoff of Spider-man. In the wake of Sony teaming with Disney’s Marvel on Homecoming, the Culver City studio is careful to distinguish its own Marvel properties and in press notes distinctively says “Venom is not a Spider-Man spinoff or Spider-Man related”. But seriously, let’s call Venom‘s success for what it is: Moviegoers aren’t flocking to this pic because it’s original IP, it’s because they’re connecting it to Spider-man (even though he’s never mentioned or alluded to in the movie). A Fandango survey of 1,000 moviegoers indicated prior to the weekend that 93% were looking forward to seeing a different kind of Marvel anti-hero, while 90% couldn’t wait for a future Venom/Spider-Man match-up (even though the former property isn’t part of Disney’s MCU) while 80% were going because they were Tom Hardy fans.

Sony was hoping that Venom would launch a greater cinematic universe of characters seen in the Spider-Man verse, and well, mission accomplished this weekend with this very solid start. In the wings is a Morbius movie with Daniel Espinosa directing and Jared Leto as the title vampire and Spider-Man villain as well as projects centering around Kraven the Hunter., Silk, Jackpot, Nightwatch, Black Cat and Silver (the latter two now poised to get their own separate films versus the originally planned teaming).

Told ya so. The 60 mil estimate WAS way too low. Venom will definitely make 75-85 million this weekend.

Venom is the most popular Spider Man villain. Those underestimating the potential of this movie probably don’t get that. Also they absolutely nailed the characterization of Venom and Eddie Brock. Marvel studios MUST adopt Venom into the MCU!

You're right about some fans either forgetting or ignoring how popular Venom is. In the 90s, Venom was one of those rare characters that broke away from his original narrative function and stood on his own. Just like Wolverine, who was initially a minor Hulk character, or Deadpool, who was a satirical Deathstroke ripoff at the start, some characters have an intangible that even their own creators sometimes can't see until that character connects with fans.

I always thought venom was the most popular Spider-Man villain. GG is his greatest enemy but venom just has this thing about him that makes him different from being a spidey dark clone. He just works

I always thought venom was the most popular Spider-Man villain. GG is his greatest enemy but venom just has this thing about him that makes him different from being a spidey dark clone. He just works

He looked cool and when you're a kid that's probably the most important thing.

I don't think they must, but the movie is very MCU friendly in the sense that it doesn't contradict anything going on in the MCU...They would simply have to figure where to place it in the MCU timeline (which became a mess after Homecoming). That being said. I don't think Venom is joining the MCU anytime soon.

Well that's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"