Venom Venom's Box Office Thread

Yup. $175 WW could recoup the budget in one weekend, or at least come close.
Interesting part is that for all the Venom related merchandise that sells, the profits go straight to Marvel Studios, as they have got all the merch related rights back from Sony.

So, the popularity of this movie helps Marvel collect some additional cash from sales of merch stuff.

I think the RT score and audience reception on opening day will kill any prospect for a $65M-70M opening. If the reviews are any indication, it will open big and sink fast.

I can see this movie going past 300 mil worldwide. By the end of it's run, it could end-up earning 400 mil. Which would be considered as some achievement.

I think the RT score and audience reception on opening day will kill any prospect for a $65M-70M opening. If the reviews are any indication, it will open big and sink fast.
I would agree as well... because if Venom fans are this blasé about the film. As in... it's a good first try.

Then what does that say for the general audience who are just not aware of property, especially when Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's vanity project is playing opposite of it?

I would agree as well... because if Venom fans are this blasé about the film. As in... it's a good first try.

Then what does that say for the general audience who are just not aware of property, especially when Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's vanity project is playing opposite of it?

Vanity project? What makes A Star is Born a vanity project? Because Cooper directed it and is starring in it? Does that make every film in which the director plays the lead a vanity project? Or is it because Gaga is playing a singer, which isn't all that far out of her wheelhouse? Because Streisand played the part in the 1970s, and she's also known for being an impressive vocalist. If the general audience is more interested in A Star is Born than Venom, maybe that's because the former had strong trailers, great reviews and it's a remake of a classic, and the latter had questionable trailers, bad reviews and is about a character that isn't as popular as a top-tier superhero like Spider-Man.

Vanity project? What makes A Star is Born a vanity project? Because Cooper directed it and is starring in it? Does that make every film in which the director plays the lead a vanity project? Or is it because Gaga is playing a singer, which isn't all that far out of her wheelhouse? Because Streisand played the part in the 1970s, and she's also known for being an impressive vocalist. If the general audience is more interested in A Star is Born than Venom, maybe that's because the former had strong trailers, great reviews and it's a remake of a classic, and the latter had questionable trailers, bad reviews and is about a character that isn't as popular as a top-tier superhero like Spider-Man.
It's a remake of a remake of a remake.

Vanity. Project.

Yes. You laid out multiple cases for my point. Thank you.

Last edited:
It's a remake of a remake of a remake.

Vanity. Project.

Yes. You laid out multiple cases for my point. Thank you.

Oh, I see. Well in that case, I suppose Venom is also a vanity project, since it's a remake of an origin story we've already seen (Spider-Man 3), and Hardy is playing another quirky, off-beat type of character with a weird accent, which has kinda become his thing lately. So I guess you're going to see a vanity project this weekend too.

Oh, I see. Well in that case, I suppose Venom is also a vanity project, since it's a remake of an origin story we've already seen (Spider-Man 3), and Hardy is playing another quirky, off-beat type of character with a weird accent, which has kinda become his thing lately. So I guess you're going to see a vanity project this weekend too.

It sort of is Avi Arad's vanity project, lol

Hah. I literally cringed in seeing you twist yourself in a knot to peg Venom into a vanity project that you so well laid out for yourself.

And just so you know... just because I see something that's a vanity project doesn't mean it's going to be terrible. I'm just calling it, how I see it.

Apparently, vanity projects are automatically a negative connotation to some. Interesting.

Last edited:
The disappointing thing is that the MCU won't touch the symbiotie story with a 10 ft. poll now. Would have loved to see them in the MCU... Dammit Avi!

I said 300-350 range

which for 2003, the year this movie should've been released, is pretty great.

Said under $300m when the critic reviews came out. But seeing a lot of audience reviews that liked the film especially on youtube. Think it will be around $350m now.

The disappointing thing is that the MCU won't touch the symbiotie story with a 10 ft. poll now. Would have loved to see them in the MCU... Dammit Avi!
The only way we will ever see the symbiote or Venom in the MCU is if they do another reboot of the character. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

We'll see. Fox destroyed the FF franchise twice but we expect the MCU to reboot the IP sometime in the near future.

In this case, I think near future for an FF reboot is probably close to five years.

I'm actually rooting for a film starring Lady Gaga to beat a comic book movie this weekend. Hell hath frozen over...

So, is every film that Clint Eastwood directed and starred in a vanity project?

Even if Venom comes out on top,
Lady Gaga will have the last laugh as her film is a likely contender for Best Picture at the Oscars this year.

Unless Disney buys Sony, they will never get to use Spider Man and his Rogue gallery the way they wanted to. Thankfully Marvel is getting X-Men and FF back real soon so they may not need Spidey that much.

Maybe, but, make no mistake about it, Marvel wants Spidey back.

I wonder how the Thursday night previews are doing.

On his website, Gitesh Pandya is estimating that Venom will make 46 million dollars this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"