The Dark Knight Rises What didn't you like about the movie? - Part 1

The thing about Bane's motivations and relationship to Talia is we're shown or told directly in the film the degree to which Bane is not subservant to her.

For one thing, Bane hoped to join the league far prior to adult Talia 'calling the shots.' The entire point of his character was that, like Bruce, he had a compulsive desire to protect the innocent even to the extent of total self-sacrifice, and a path was offered to adapt those skills to save the world. Bruce said no, Bane said yes.
Unfortunately Ra's wouldn't have him, but that doesn't change Bane wanted to join the league separate from Talia.

Bane's main motivation comes from thinking smiting Gotham from the world will save it, not from 'love', though he surely does love her.

-Vader

Everything I've quoted here is conjecture. A compulsive desire to protect the innocent? Why the hell would he blow up a city of twelve million then? That makes no sense. Bane is not a multifaceted villain, all we're shown is that he's doing what he's doing to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny, and that's why he's the worst main villain in the series despite a great performance by Tom Hardy

^^ "Innocent is a strong word to throw around Gotham".

It makes sense to Bane and the LOS why it must be razed to the ground. Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or me.

Everything I've quoted here is conjecture. A compulsive desire to protect the innocent? Why the hell would he blow up a city of twelve million then? That makes no sense. Bane is not a multifaceted villain, all we're shown is that he's doing what he's doing to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny, and that's why he's the worst main villain in the series despite a great performance by Tom Hardy

No it isn't. Nolan's said in multiple interviews Bane was designed as a foil of Bruce Wayne, offering a haunting look of what Bruce might've become had he joined the league. This is why Nolan specifically states, and I'll even link you the interview if you want, he wrote Bane's character arc (chronologically) to act as an emotional parallel to Bruce Wayne's.

Additionally, he did have a compulsive desire to save an innocent, that isn't my opinion, that's what happened in the movie. Nolan draws multiple parallels both to real-world terrorists and real-world revolutionaries (ala the French and Russian Revolutions), both of which have committed heinous acts in the name of saving the world. This is why the power of "belief" is emphasized, it's also why Bane commits straight-up terrorist attacks across Gotham, such as massacring a group of unarmed civilians at the stock exchange.

None of this is conjecture, or again, even my opinion. It's right from the horse's mouth or directly in the film itself.

-Vader

No it isn't. Nolan's said in multiple interviews Bane was designed as a foil of Bruce Wayne, offering a haunting look of what Bruce might've become had he joined the league. This is why Nolan specifically states, and I'll even link you the interview if you want, he wrote Bane's character arc (chronologically) to act as an emotional parallel to Bruce Wayne's.

-Vader

I agree that what you've pointed out was Nolan's intention , but unfortunately, the final product really doesn't get that point across. To fair, I suspect alot of the deleted scenes would have further highlighted the whole ying yang concept and the sort of sibling rivarly thing with Bane and Batman . The final product imo , reduces him to being the scary henchmen carrying out other peoples orders. However, given that there was so much going on, and time was short, I can see why they decided to turn their attention to Talia's revelation instead in the flashbacks. Nolan may have felt that the film was already Bane heavy , as it were , and giving him even more of a background would take even further away from Talia being the real mastermind.

How could you say that given the points I made earlier in the thread, specifically in that he outright disobeys Talia on an extraordinarily significant matter- i.e. something incredibly important to her. It's quite vague who was and wasn't the 'mastermind' of the plan. In-film, Bane's shown to wield a resourcefulness and skill level of great intensity and intuition. The only direct evidence to indicate which is truly subservient to the other is the aforementioned disobeying of that order.

-Vader

Talia controls the bomb, because she's the boss, the child heir of Ra's that you're led to believe in the Pit was Bane. She's the one giving all the orders when the reveal happens, nobody asks Bane if it's ok, nobody cares.

Does the interview say that Bane wanted to join the LOS before he was imprisoned, or that he had a compulsive desire to save the innocent? I can't listen to it for a few hours.

What didn't I like....not a whole lot.

1. For a Batman movie, there wasn't enough Batman in it.
2. Bane wasn't really his own person, he was just someone's puppet.
3. Bane's death was weak.
4. Blake knowing Bruce was Batman just by his facial expression? Stupid.
5. Scarecrow should have worn his mask during the courtroom scenes.
6. Batman didn't really seem to get in any good shots on Bane in the end.

Does the interview say that Bane wanted to join the LOS before he was imprisoned, or that he had a compulsive desire to save the innocent? I can't listen to it for a few hours.

Yes and no. It's by direct implication by explaining

Bruce's emotional journey in a nutshell was A.) horrific event happened to him B.) carried guilt and weight and rage for decades, his life overwhelmed with these incredibly negative emotions C.) Amidst trying to make sense of these emotions and find some way to protect the innocent from harm (specifically by fighting crime), he was offered a path. I never said Bane wanted to join pre-imprisonment, just that to parallel Bruce's emotional journey. With that in mind, he saw an innocent in jeopardy and instantly became willing to let himself die to protect her, becoming broken in the process. This is important, because for their emotional journeys to correspond, he wished to join the league of shadows out of an emotional reaction to Talia nearly being raped and killed, much like Bruce joining so good people like his parents couldn't be shot.

Nolan really hits us over the head with all the ways they're foils of one another (their first fight is basically Bane inhibiting the Batman persona- wearing a mask, becoming the darkness, using theatricality and deception, physical prowess far over opponents, and finally gaining access to the very thing that let Bruce become Batman in the first place- his armory), so of the possible readings of Bane's character, this one always seemed nearly absolute since it's what the film's trying to do on the whole. Then Nolan's comments affirmed these convictions by explaining how he wrote the character.

-Vader

Alright, I just listened to it, and I gotta disagree with you on some parts. I feel you've taken the "Bane/Bruce parallel" a bit too far. Yes, there are parallels to their characters --much like a lot of Batman's villains-- but not in the same sense that you're trying to sell it. Nolan said that the parallels are more about their devotion to their idea(Bruce wanting to save Gotham and Bane wanting to destroy it), along with their brains and physical prowess. But at the same time, the same can be said about Ra's, which Nolan even admitted to, as well. Every interview that I've read about Bane, has said that he's a monster or he's pure evil, not that he's trying to save the innocent like you're trying to suggest.

You're also stretching on some of your examples. Bane isn't trying to inhibit the Batman persona, and I don't think that was shown to us at all. Bane has to wear a mask to survive, not to take on a vigilante persona. Unless, you're trying to say that he got beat up on purpose, so that he would have to wear a mask, to be like Batman....who didn't even exist at the time. Also, he adopted the darkness because he was born into it, not because he was taking on a persona. He's using theatricality and deception, because that was Ra's' teachings, and one that was taught to both Bruce and Bane. That's not Bane trying to inhibit the Batman persona, that's just him adopting the teachings of Ra's.

And again, nothing I have seen, especially from that interview you linked, has said that Bane is trying to save the innocent through his methods. Gotham was in peace time, so what does that have anything to do with saving the innocent? Ra's original plan was to destroy Gotham because it was corrupt and needed to be destroyed to restore balance. Talia wanted to destroy Gotham to seek revenge on Bruce/Batman for killing Ra's. Bane was said that he was just fulfilling Ra's al Ghul's destiny, when actually, he wasn't, seeing as Gotham didn't need to be destroyed, and since Bane wasn't seeking revenge on Bruce, we are shown who the mastermind is, and it was Talia. She knew Bane loved her, and she used that to manipulate him into her plans. Just because he disobeyed one order means nothing, especially when they were all on a suicide mission with minutes to live, as it is.

Nolan was specifically talking about the ending of the film when he made the comments about the parallel, how could he remotely openly talk about Bane being anything but a monster in interviews because the main plot twist of the movie is that, in his past, he was an incredibly compassionate self-sacrificing person. The fact he clarified he didn't want to say too much about the ending before making those comments reinforces my point.

Additionally, the degree you're taking some things literally is creating a false sense of what I meant. Thats the entire purpose of their first fight- everything that lets Batman be Batman Bane stole from him or became more successfully than Bruce did. The mask is just an obvious physical parallel between the two.

Other than those points, I feel as though what I already said blatantly proves wrong much of what you said as you may not have taken the time to read it thoroughly. I know that sounds arrogant, but you ignore large portions of what I posted, such as Talia clearly thinking Gotham is an evil, decrepit place, indicating motivations outside of this. Bane mentioned Ra's' destiny to taunt Bruce, he said it in a mocking playful manner, going back to Bane's theatricality in that scene. Bane's dialogue also mirrors Talia's in their shared disdain for Gotham and all its citizens. You seem to completely write this off and instead focus on the 'revenge' element, which Talia calls her 'reward', not necessarily the main purpose of her plan.

-Vader

Other than those points, I feel as though what I already said blatantly proves wrong much of what you said as you may not have taken the time to read it thoroughly. I know that sounds arrogant, but you ignore large portions of what I posted, such as Talia clearly thinking Gotham is an evil, decrepit place, indicating motivations outside of this. Bane mentioned Ra's' destiny to taunt Bruce, he said it in a mocking playful manner, going back to Bane's theatricality in that scene. Bane's dialogue also mirrors Talia's in their shared disdain for Gotham and all its citizens. You seem to completely write this off and instead focus on the 'revenge' element, which Talia calls her 'reward', not necessarily the main purpose of her plan.

-Vader
I have read what you said, although, I don't agree with most of it. Adding to the fact that you haven't shown where these so called "quotes from Nolan's mouth" are, I have to agree with the other guy in saying that you're just giving a false interpretation that's piled on by your loose connections and conjecture. Show us where Nolan said that Bane is compassionate person, because the movie showed us the complete opposite of that, other than his lover for Talia. Show us where Nolan said that Bane wanted to join the LOS before Talia was calling the shots, or that he wanted to protect the innocent, because again, the movie told us different. I mean, start proving where Nolan evidently said most of these things you're trying to sell, and maybe I can start taking your posts a bit more seriously. I asked you, and you provided a link that didn't even come close to what you were saying, but now you're backpedaling by saying that "the very fact that Nolan didn't say it in that interview reinforces your point", because it doesn't at all. That twist was to show us that the bald child was Talia, not that Bane was some humanitarian who loved everybody. The film only showed us that he loved one person and one person only, and that was Talia. Do you really think that the twist was just to show us that Bane was actually a good guy all this time?

I have read what you said, although, I don't agree with most of it. Adding to the fact that you haven't shown where these so called "quotes from Nolan's mouth" are, I have to agree with the other guy in saying that you're just giving a false interpretation that's piled on by your loose connections and conjecture. Show us where Nolan said that Bane is compassionate person, because the movie showed us the complete opposite of that, other than his lover for Talia. Show us where Nolan said that Bane wanted to join the LOS before Talia was calling the shots, or that he wanted to protect the innocent, because again, the movie told us different. I mean, start proving where Nolan evidently said most of these things you're trying to sell, and maybe I can start taking your posts a bit more seriously. I asked you, and you provided a link that didn't even come close to what you were saying, but now you're backpedaling by saying that "the very fact that Nolan didn't say it in that interview reinforces your point", because it doesn't at all. That twist was to show us that the bald child was Talia, not that Bane was some humanitarian who loved everybody. The film only showed us that he loved one person and one person only, and that was Talia. Do you really think that the twist was just to show us that Bane was actually a good guy all this time?

You clearly didn't read what I said, or understand it, since you're saying I said things I either never claimed to, or specifically clarified that I meant something different than you and others may haven taken some comments.

The film directly tells us Bane tried joining the league when Talia was around 12, for instance. It thus is told to the viewer, as I keep saying, in the film, that Bane's ideals and values parelled the league of shadows. Do you suppose both characters being asked to join the league and one saying yes and one saying no is merely a coincidence? Once again, Nolan's said in most interviews (and the one you listened to), Bane's a foil of Bruce. Bruce wanted to join the league so people like his parents couldn't be hurt. Bane wanted to join so people like Talia couldn't be. I don't know how I could be any clearer about this, or how the film could be.

Lastly, yes, absolutely, a major point of the twist was to humanize Bane. We see him getting incredibly emotional merely remembering the sacrifice he made for her. We're told halfway through the film the 'protector' saw this girl and wanted to protect her, fight for her, and wanted everyone else in the prison to do the same. She became his way for redemption. He was trying to improve himself and was willing to die for this ideal. It wasn't Talia as a person he wanted to save, it was her innocence. Again, we're told this directly halfway through the movie through dialogue. This tells us, again directly, that Bane's main motive/goal in life is to fight for and protect an innocent person from the 'evils' of the world, even to the point of being willing to die for it.

If you don't believe me on the dialogue, go look into the script. I've seen the film 7 times and read the screenplay, nothing I'm saying is conjecture. It's taking what Nolan's said and combining it with information given in the film itself.

-Vader

Do you really think that the twist was just to show us that Bane was actually a good guy all this time?

Not that he's a good guy, but that he's a much more human monster than we're lead to believe initially. The point is to show that these very fundamental basic noble impulses that Bruce and Bane share can lead to drastically different paths. It's like what Ra's said in Begins...that was Bruce really feared was inside him, his power to do great or horrible things. But Bane...not so much.

I thought this also illustrated how fundamentally different Bane and The Joker are. We never get any real sense of The Joker's humanity...it may have existed at one point, but the film never allows us to see it. With Bane, they go the other way. I remember when Heath was first talking about The Joker in TDK, he was calling him a "mass-murdering clown with 0 empathy". Well, we blatantly see in this film that Bane is very capable of empathy, maybe even compassion. That contrast really stood out to me the first time I saw the film.

Also, Jonah Nolan also said that they conceived Bane as a dark mirror, doppleganger type figure to Bruce. Not that you really need quotes to prove that, it's pretty obvious.

So in the grand scheme, with the three main villains of the trilogy you have:

The hero's mentor
The equal and opposite reaction to the hero
The stronger, evil version of the hero

How could you say that given the points I made earlier in the thread, specifically in that he outright disobeys Talia on an extraordinarily significant matter- i.e. something incredibly important to her. It's quite vague who was and wasn't the 'mastermind' of the plan. In-film, Bane's shown to wield a resourcefulness and skill level of great intensity and intuition. The only direct evidence to indicate which is truly subservient to the other is the aforementioned disobeying of that order.

-Vader

To be clear, I wasn't addressing whatever points you may have made earlier in the thread , because , I haven't read through the whole thread. I was addressing your point about the Bruce/Bane dynamic. Further, disobeying one order doesn't mean she wasn't in charge before that order. All it means is that he disobeyed her last order to him, assuming one agree's with the premise that Bane wasn't in charge. Further, Bane's skill level doesn't imply that he's more than a henchman or second in command. All it implies is that he's smart , cunning, and a good fighter, but that's not evidence of being in charge.

My point is that Bane wasn't necessarily taking orders from her in the sense he was subservient to her. Obviously, she's the "new" leader of the league of shadows, not Bane. So in a very literal sense, she is the leader. I thought that went without saying. I meant more Bane doesn't view her leadership as anything significant to him, though she is. The film gives us one moment showing their relationship in action, and he ignores her order. That's pretty telling, I think.

Bane's competency in every area, from being a charismatic, rousing leader, to his strategic and battle skill, definitely makes him more than a henchman. Bane's famous throughout the world for his tactics, and his men fiercely loyal. This further demonstrates Bane's separation from the league as he clearly was on the rise separately from the league for all these years.

I really wish the film at least implied what he'd been up to this whole time, all Nolan's said was he spent a lot of time in a military setting and in mountains, etc.

-Vader

You clearly didn't read what I said, or understand it, since you're saying I said things I either never claimed to, or specifically clarified that I meant something different than you and others may haven taken some comments.
Heh, yes I have read it, but you keep talking in absolutes, without anything to back up your claims. Telling people that they're wrong because the movie said so(when it hasn't), or that you've heard it straight from Nolan's mouth(which I haven't seen any quote to show otherwise, other than your own made up loose connections), is very misleading. You're the one who said it a few posts above. I'm talking about this conjecture that you keep emphasizing that you're not making up, when all you're giving off is some interpretation. Why do you think people are saying that to begin with?

Lets proceed....

The film directly tells us Bane tried joining the league when Talia was around 12, for instance. It thus is told to the viewer, as I keep saying, in the film, that Bane's ideals and values parelled the league of shadows. Do you suppose both characters being asked to join the league and one saying yes and one saying no is merely a coincidence? Once again, Nolan's said in most interviews (and the one you listened to), Bane's a foil of Bruce. Bruce wanted to join the league so people like his parents couldn't be hurt. Bane wanted to join so people like Talia couldn't be. I don't know how I could be any clearer about this, or how the film could be.
See, it's posts like this that you keep making. Nowhere in the movie was this told to us. This is where your interpretations are running wild. In fact, it says that "Ra's saved us in the pit....the LOS took us in and trained us". Nowhere does it say that Bane had a compulsive desire to join the LOS to save the innocent, it just said that Ra's saved them and took them in. Unless you're thinking about what one of the prisoners said to Bruce, about Bane saving the innocent(Talia) for their redemption? Which was clearly saying that if Talia gets out of prison, then so could the prisoners - ie. she's their redemption to freedom. Which it also cuts to her making the escape, and the prisoners were able to be freed because of it. If he was all about saving the innocent, why did he not lift a finger for Talia's mother? And furthermore, the movie even says that Bane was excommunicated because Ra's saw him "as a monster who can never be tamed". Ra's wasn't thinking that Bane was trying to save the innocent, in fact, much the opposite. That's the very reason why he was kicked out, because Ra's knew he was a loose cannon. Bruce on the other hand, was not, although, he declined the opportunity in BB.

Also, Bane's motivations aren't exactly clear other than what he tells Bruce when he said, "I never escaped - Ra's al Ghul rescued me. That's why I must fulfill his plan. That is why I must avenge his murderer". This doesn't prove that his or Talia's ideals are the same as the LOS, because like I said earlier, the LOS wanted to destroy Gotham due to its corrupt nature, which Ra's felt needed to be destroyed. If it wasn't for Bane and Talia coming to Gotham, the city would still be at peace, so this is complete opposite of what the LOS was about. Talia and Bane just wanted to fulfill Ra's destiny and seek revenge on his killer, even though it went against his ideals. If there ideals paralleled the LOS, they wouldn't be there in the first place, as their plans are in direct opposite of what Ra's or the LOS stood for. So unless you heard it from Nolan's mouth, then he either screwed up(which he's done a few times in this movie), or your interpreting it that way, even though BB told us differently.

Lastly, yes, absolutely, a major point of the twist was to humanize Bane. We see him getting incredibly emotional merely remembering the sacrifice he made for her. We're told halfway through the film the 'protector' saw this girl and wanted to protect her, fight for her, and wanted everyone else in the prison to do the same. She became his way for redemption. He was trying to improve himself and was willing to die for this ideal. It wasn't Talia as a person he wanted to save, it was her innocence. Again, we're told this directly halfway through the movie through dialogue. This tells us, again directly, that Bane's main motive/goal in life is to fight for and protect an innocent person from the 'evils' of the world, even to the point of being willing to die for it.
And again, you're making loose connections. Just because he loved Talia and wanted to protect one single person, doesn't mean his goal was to protect innocent people. Again, why didn't he protect Talia's innocent mother? And like I quoted above, it shows us that Bane was much too monstrous to even stay in the LOS. Far from being this humble servant that must fight for the innocent, like you keep alluding to. He just happened to love one innocent person, who of course, was Talia.

And yes, I understand that part of the twist humanized Bane, but that wasn't the point of the twist, nor does it show us that he was trying to protect the innocent other than Talia.

It's taking what Nolan's said and combining it with information given in the film itself.
No, you're not, you're coming up with some abstract interpretation, and then proceeding to tell people they're wrong, because of what you apparently read/heard Nolan say, when you haven't even come close to backing your claims. I don't care if people interpret the movie whichever way they see fit, but to come in and tell people they're wrong, because of some supposed quotes you read, or saying that your interpretation is right because of how you see it, isn't really right.

@batlobster, I never denied that there are parallels to Bane and Bruce. Hell, there's even more in the comics. What I'm saying, is that not everything that vader has said has been shown to be factual or authentic, other than his own interpretation of things. Are there parallels? Yes, I've already said so. Are they exactly how he said it? I don't see how. Bane is almost no different than how Ra's was portrayed in BB, other than some slight differences, and even Nolan said in the interview, that the parallels for Bane and Bruce are almost identical to that of Ra's. He did say The Joker was completely opposite of Bane and Ra's. He even went on to use the old "ying to his yang" analogy.

I don't know what to say than to suggest you go back and read my previous posts. You're best argument is suggesting you feel Nolan was inconsistent with his intentions, because I also feel that becomes a bit muddled in the film. Many, many things about Bane's character overtly foils Bruce, in fact that's the entire basis for the character as said Chris and his brother. I actually think there's a good passage on this in the lengthy interview in the screenplays book. So, in keeping with this foil being the entire basis for the character and merely applying that to various segments to the film, it becomes, in my opinion, self-evident these things I'm saying. For example, if Bane joined the league pretty much just for the hell of it regardless of his ideals it would defeat the entire purpose of Bane's foil in that regard. Jonah or Chris have said 100% that Bane's meant to show what Bruce would've been had he joined the league, if they ended up in it through totally different reasons, the meaning of that comparison is totally gone. That's what I mean when I say it's a combination of the film's dialogue/storytelling and the words of the filmmakers. Now, you may feel that wasn't represented clearly enough, but I don't know how you can say that wasn't, at least, their intention, and there's evidence for that in the movie. Also, it's implied it isn't until the cell was left unlocked that either of them were in danger. Thus, after it was opened, Bane stormed in to save her.

Here's what I'm talking about that specifically highlights on Bane's backstory is meant to be similar to Bruce's.

"I wasn’t totally familiar with the character of Bane at first, but when I was walked through what you and David identified as what was key about him – that there’s a lot of similarities, sort of photo-negative similarities between Bruce and Bane and their background."

-Vader

Like I said, I agree that there are some parallels, but I don't agree with everything you have said. So saying that, sure, there are a few things I agree with, but for the most part, I still don't see how you're making some of these connections.

If Bane's motivations were as you described them, they wouldn't fit the statements of Chris or Jonah, especially the latter. Jonah literally said Bane's backstory was designed as a photo-negative similarity of Bruce's. If Bane's motivations were out of being 'saved' and because he wanted to be connected with a 12 year old girl, their backstories couldn't be more different. So you have to ask what do we see in his backstory? Him caring for a 12 year old girl and willing to totally sacrifice himself for her. What else? We see him join the league. If his motivations aren't out of a need for justice or a will to save the innocent, they aren't even close to photo-negative similarities. What your saying is totally out of sync with the filmmakers, but what I'm saying isn't. Why accuse me of conjecture and reaching when I'm in line with what they're saying and you aren't?

-Vader

Last edited:
The whole Bane-revenge-plot that was in the novelization and the script book was dropped from the movie...if they even filmed it. It's not canon to the movie. It's one example of a few of Nolan choosing to dial back Bane's development a bit from what became the final product. "He saw only a monster who could never be tamed": this is also not in the movie, I can assure you.

Oh, and on the topic of "But the child had a friend, a protector, who showed the others that this innocence was their redemption." There's no indiciation the Warlord's Daughter nor Talia nor Bane knew that Ra's had become a member of the League of Shadows after his exile from the warlord's domain. So Bane had no idea that helping Talia would lead to a rescue by the League. There was no guarantee of anything really even if she escaped...would she find her father? etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"