What is Southern Culture?

I was born and raised on NHRA. Top fuel dragsters, 0-320+ mph in 4 seconds (faster acceleration than a space shuttle), 6,000+ hp, 6,000 torque. Standing at the line when those bad boys take off! That will get your heart racing.

I be crying like Shawn and Gus from Psych...

Lets back off on the generalizations shall we. I doubt you were here for more than a year, and the South isn't a place you want to judge based on a short stay. It takes years to get to really know a place properly, especially a place like the South which doesn't hide its faults too well. Yes, there are racists; black and white racists. Its to be expected. Some on both sides just can't let the **** go. For the majority however, we get along just fine. We don't dwell on it. You do not have to be white to enjoy a good life in the south.

I know a lot of latinos, and they do get pulled over a lot, because they speed all the time (they admit this) or were running on a dead tag. Illegal immigrants, which we are not in short supply, usually have a BS license, and have never taken a driving course. Hence, the constant tickets.

I was just looking at stats, and the hispanic population in my state has grown 394% since 1990!:wow:

Sir, you can disagree with me. You can insult me. But don't you dare tell me I can't judge a place I lived for years. I did my time. I have the right to speak my mind. I make no generalizations I can't back up with facts. I'll get into specifics if you would like.

If you don't like hearing an outsider's perspective of your culture, that's your problem.

I've live in North Carolina since I was about two, back in 1989. However, I live in a military region, living next to MCAS Cherry Point and two other bases either with in a hour away or a hour away. So, would my experience be Southern or more of a Southern mixed with all the Marines from different regions coming here?

Sir, you can disagree with me. You can insult me. But don't you dare tell me I can't judge a place I lived for years. I did my time. I have the right to speak my mind. I make no generalizations I can't back up with facts. I'll get into specifics if you would like.

If you don't like hearing an outsider's perspective of your culture, that's your problem.

Uh, calm down. I dont mind an outsiders opinion. I simply prefer a balanced opinion that doesnt read like a stereotype. You were making sweeping generalizations that were more stereotypical than fact. And no I don't think anyone can properly judge a place who hasn't spent that much time there nor was born there. You may have lived here for a time, but you are not a Southerner. There is no way around that. Would you like it if started making sweeping stereotypical statements about europe? The french are prickish snobs who don't shave, the germans lack a sense of humor, italians are lazy etc. *not my actual observations*

I'm sincerely sorry you had a bad time in the South, but blacks and whites do not war like you seem to think, nor are latinos unduly prosecuted by law enforcement nor do we prosecute based on color. That isnt to say we dont have some POS people who take advantage, but our agenda isnt the subjugation and destruction of other races. The South has its demons, but like every other part of america we dont make that the single point of evaluation. It simply seems you went from one extreme to another or ended up in the worst parts of the South and kept company with the worst stereotypes... was it Alabama? lol sorry Alabama all the love.

I would like to hear more details about your experience if you don't mind the discussion. I've been to the asscrack and the armpits of the South, but a european perspective could be good.

Last edited:
Born and raised and I've lived in a few different states. I haven't really been to the northern states, but I have been to the west coast, and I loved it.

I'll probably always live in the south, but that's not because I think it's better. I don't really know what it's like in the north so it would be unfair to try to act like we're better. My family is here and my friends are here and that makes it home. I certainly could do without all the rednecks. Not a fan. In my experience, there is a lot of racism, sexism, and homophobia here, but I notice that tends toward the 50 and up crowd. Those of my generation and younger are generally far more open minded than those old coots, so hopefully that nonsense is going to die with them. I did notice that when I moved into the deep south, things regressed quite a bit. There's a difference between a Texan and a Southerner.

Good luck getting us to not be a bunch of idiots about evolution too. That is so embarrassing.

Born and raised and I've lived in a few different states. I haven't really been to the northern states, but I have been to the west coast, and I loved it.

I'll probably always live in the south, but that's not because I think it's better. I don't really know what it's like in the north so it would be unfair to try to act like we're better. My family is here and my friends are here and that makes it home. I certainly could do without all the rednecks. Not a fan. In my experience, there is a lot of racism, sexism, and homophobia here, but I notice that tends toward the 50 and up crowd. Those of my generation and younger are generally far more open minded than those old coots, so hopefully that nonsense is going to die with them. I did notice that when I moved into the deep south, things regressed quite a bit. There's a difference between a Texan and a Southerner.

Good luck getting us to not be a bunch of idiots about evolution too. That is so embarrassing.

Evolution is **** dinner topic here no doubt. I had a friend a while back who was flabbergasted to find out I accept evolution. :facepalm:

In the South I've been to Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. Seen just about every version of the South. Texas I haven't been to yet. Not a fan of that heat. I like its culture from what little I've had of it from visitors, but it does seem to be different from the rest of the South. That's all I can really say about Texas. Well one other thing, the Texans that come to my state can't drive for ****. I'm not sure if its the hills or the blind turns that throw them off, but damn its bad.

Yeah, it's not like people do that. No siree bob. Next time I'm in Jackson, I'll be sure to go around and ask people what they think of France. Though I'd actually agree with all your observations, except maybe the German one. Germans have a sense of humor, it's just very dry.

Your comments smack of nativism. Ever consider you see it the way you do because of the fact that it's your culture?

As for race relations, the South's actions speak a lot louder than words. It still regularly disenfranchise black voters with voter ID laws, not to mention those immigration bills, targeting Latinos. And then there's that crap the Texas education people keep trying to get away with. Politicians still run on demagoguery, and it works.

There's degrees of difference of course. North Carolina is certainly more pleasant than Alabama, or, Mississippi (but hey, what isn't).

Actually, I rather liked North Carolina. And Florida (lived there for a few years). But then you have Mississippi and Alabama. Ye gods. If the North hadn't invaded, they'd probably still have slavery. The North did invade, and Mississippi only ended it on their own accord, two months ago.

Given those two states (South Carolina is no prize either), I think I'm being downright charitable when it comes to generalizations.

It's interesting though. I never gave that much thought. You can become an American. But you can't become a Southerner.

Yeah, it's not like people do that. No siree bob. Next time I'm in Jackson, I'll be sure to go around and ask people what they think of France. Though I'd actually agree with all your observations, except maybe the German one. Germans have a sense of humor, it's just very dry.

Your comments smack of nativism. Ever consider you see it the way you do because of the fact that it's your culture?

As for race relations, the South's actions speak a lot louder than words. It still regularly disenfranchise black voters with voter ID laws, not to mention those immigration bills, targeting Latinos. And then there's that crap the Texas education people keep trying to get away with. Politicians still run on demagoguery, and it works.

There's degrees of difference of course. North Carolina is certainly more pleasant than Alabama, or, Mississippi (but hey, what isn't).

Actually, I rather liked North Carolina. And Florida (lived there for a few years). But then you have Mississippi and Alabama. Ye gods. If the North hadn't invaded, they'd probably still have slavery. The North did invade, and Mississippi only ended it on their own accord, two months ago.

Given those two states (South Carolina is no prize either), I think I'm being downright charitable when it comes to generalizations.

This post sounds a lot more genuine. I've spent my entire life in NC except when I'm on the road. NC is certainly one of the more progressive and agreeable states which is why I stay here. I agree with your observations of the other states. Racism like I've said is still here, but racism is very much alive in most of america. Georgia to a degree, Mississippi, and Alabama really are where the worst of the worst live. Alabama is pitiful in many regards. Given it was founded as a penal colony I can't say I expect much from it. I've found good things about Alabama but its at times like trying to find a diamond in a septic tank.

What you speak of about disenfranchising voters is happening all across america and is even effecting college students of all races now. That isn't a strictly southern thing anymore. And tho Mississippi and alabama would probably welcome slavery, it wouldn't be sustainable and would have been done away with in time had the North not stopped It with force. Least most analysts seem to agree the slave trade would have collapsed eventually.

Take It from me, there are plenty of Southerners who think the Texas education ideas are insanity. Like others said, the South and Dixie Texas aren't really the same thing.

And about my comment "you can spend time here but not be a Southerner" its about being raised into the culture. ETM obviously was due to him coming here at a young age. However, a 20-30 year old moving here will have already had their own culture instilled in them and you really can't entirely override that. The South isn't a nation and you can't move here and just call yourself a southerner. To quote my southern neighbors, "A yank in the south is still a yank."

And if I might ask, why compare me to William Faulkner? Tho I know of him, I've never read his work so I'm not sure how to take that comparison.

Last edited:
I love how even in an open minded, thoughtful discussion about the pros and cons of the south, Bama still gets crapped on haha.
I'm not gonna deny that we have certainly earned our reputation in a lot of respects. But come to Birmingham, or the college town I live in, and meet with some of the people here and you'll be pleasantly surprised how forward thinking and progressive a lot of people are. Yes we have our fair share of racists and idiots and bigots (they'll be the ones wearing crimson and white shouting 'roll tide') but I think there's another, much more pleasant side of Alabama than most people would expect if you find the time to look for it.

William Faulkner is the preeminent chronicler of all things Southern. Probably the only man from Mississippi to ever win a Nobel Prize in Literature.

Hence the comparison. You should read his works.

umpire-hill-billy-399x300.jpg

+

cimg5178_edited.jpg

+

samogon_looking.jpg

+

2123981.jpg

+

shriner_hillbilly_1.jpg

+

hairy-nascar-fan1.jpg

+

KFC-Fried-Chicken.jpg

= Southern Culture

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

so funny that it rated three of these...

William Faulkner is the preeminent chronicler of all things Southern. Probably the only man from Mississippi to ever win a Nobel Prize in Literature.

Hence the comparison. You should read his works.

Oh gotcha :). Ill definitely look into his stuff. I get the feeling I read some of his stuff in American Lit class but that has been so long ago.

I'm lacking in my American Lit in general. I Bs'd my way through classes, and haven't ever revisited the stuff. A thing I routinely kick myself for. I was a lazy **** in school. I haven't even read Mark Twain which is embarrassing.

Another aspect of the South I haven't seen mentioned is the rodeo. I'm not a fan but its big in my area.

Last edited:
I can't believe that y'all are 3 pages into this thread and no one has mentioned football yet. We love football in the south!

The Banjo. One of the many great things african americans brought to the Southern Culture. The food in the South too. I love me some southern cooking with a shot of bourbon to wash it down.

And I feel this quote says it all:

"More than any other part of America, the South stands apart. Thousands of Northerners and foreigners have migrated to it...but Southerners they will not become. For this is still a place where you must have either been born or have 'people' there, to feel it is your native ground. "Natives will tell you this. They are proud to be Americans, but they are also proud to be Virginians, South Carolinians, Tennesseeans, Mississippians and Texans. But they are conscious of another loyalty too, one that transcends the usual ties of national patriotism and state pride. It is a loyalty to a place where habits are strong and memories are long. If those memories could speak, they would tell stories of a region powerfully shaped by its history and determined to pass it on to future generations."

— Tim Jacobson, Heritage of the South

Speaking of long memories, my family has been in the same area for over 200 years. We go back a ways in the South.

Edit: For the record, my family never owned slaves.

Last edited:
not to mention those immigration bills, targeting Latinos.

...Um, it's an immigration bill to stop illegal aliens, period. It doesn't "target" Latinos out of racism, insinuating that illegal immigrants from other countries would/should be given a free ride. The fact that the vast majority of illegal immigrants happen to come from one area doesn't mean the law is racist, or enacted by racists - it's just a fact. Yes, southerners might be more vocal about the immigration issue, but that's only because the problems caused by illegal immigration are far more prevalent in the South.

It never makes sense to me how people can think that when a problem doesn't affect them, it means that it shouldn't be an issue for those it does affect.

Last edited:
I can't believe that y'all are 3 pages into this thread and no one has mentioned football yet. We love football in the south!
...don't they love football every where? I wouldn't know, I don't care for sports.

...don't they love football every where? I wouldn't know, I don't care for sports.

It is only true for part of the South. Some places are far more interested in basketball, most notably Virginia and the Carolinas.

Ever think....it's your attitude? I've been to 25 states and 3 countries. There are good and bad things and people everywhere. It's been my experience that you generally get back what you give off. You smile at people you get smiles back. You scowl at them you get that back.

I'm reminded of a story my father recounted to me once when we lived in Florida.

He was at his local favorite bar having an after work drink with his pals. A guy comes in and orders a drink. He starts talking loudly about how terrible Florida was. New York had better this. New York had batter that. New Yorkers did this better. New Yorkers did that better. He went on and on for a while. Dad said he and his buddies laughed at the guy....

....then dad asked "Can I see it?"

The guys said "Can you see what?"

Dad said "The court order that says that you have to stay here one damn second longer than you absolutely have to."

My attitude? I have an attitude because I live in the south and I've been **** on the entire time I've lived here for being a non Christian liberal. The second I pulled into town I had people asking me what church I go to and then being judged and condemned because I don't go to church. I have had my southern family members disown me because I didnt adopt their Christian way of life and stood up and became active in my community for non Christian organizations. I have seen blatant and explicit racism constantly. If it weren't for the fact that I began attending college and found more open minded individuals I wouldnt be here, and when I finish I will be gone. I wouldnt recommend the south to anyone, and its being in the south and being judged and condemned for my outsider beliefs that have given me an attitude and made me feel jaded. That whole "Being friendly to strangers" bit disappears when they find out I'm a non Christian liberal that believes muslims should be allowed a mosque. Where I am is pure unfiltered bible thumping evangelical theocratic intolerance. Is it my attitude? Well this attitude didnt cause me any conflict in California.

I live in Virginia, but I've also lived in Philadelphia and a couple places in New Jersey.

If I had to choose, I'd pick Virginia in a heart beat.

Everything is typically a lot more laid back, people are happier/friendlier. Yes, I would say there are more religious people in Virginia, but its NEVER been a source of issues - churchs here try to help out the communities and that's about as visible as they get, no damning others for differing beliefs. There are still plenty of other faiths, atheists and where I live is a melting pot (hispanic, indian, middle-eastern, african american, asian). People around here love their cookouts, hiking, hopping on their boats and speeding down the rivers. There's lots of hunters and fishing, horse back riding, dirt biking, etc, though none of it is as all-encompassing as you'd imagine. It's pretty diversified. I've never ridden a horse, hunted, rode a dirt bike or stepped foot on a farm (outside of a elementary school field trip).

Slavery only comes up, like another poster said, when people from the north bring it up. It's really amusing to see northerners sit atop a high chair and feel great about damning southerners for slavery, even though slavery and racism existed north of the mason-dixon line as well. Northerners act like some sort of hero, even though NONE of them had ANYTHING to do with ending slavery, just like none of us Southerners had ANYTHING to do with those who did have slaves 150 odd years ago. I'd also like to point out that I've witnessed far more racism in northern towns than here in VA. (And history lesson: it's not like all southern states had slaves because they wanted to or where evil people - at the time, it was deemed "necessary" - there just weren't enough people to grow all the crops that supported the nation.

You'd be surprised at the amount of documentation of slave-owners who hated slavery, even freed them when they died, but whose hands were tied behind their backs due to the circumstances of the times (high demand for food stuffs, not enough hands to actually make it happen). That's no excuse for slavery by ANY means, but it does undermine the "white southern devil bigot" image ignorant people try to pass as fact.

If southerns wanted to play the blame game like northerners like to do, we could simply state that northern states were far too lazy to grow their own food or move to better climate for farming and demanded the southern states take care of it for everyone...the demand far outweighed the ability of the supplier to supply it on their own, which is why slavery lasted for as long as it did, despite there being a well documented disdain for it by slave owners. But again, slavery was a terrible, terrible institution no matter how many slave owners hated it, and anyone who says otherwise is psychotic.

All in all, the South is a lot like the North, you be in a town full of nice, sane, respectable people and drive ten miles to another town and hate it (though if I were honest, I would say that the ratio of good to bad falls heavily on the bad side in the northern states I've lived).

Agriculture in the south didnt happen because of northerners pulling their weight, it came about because the soil for widespread agriculture was in the south not the north. There's a reason why agriculture happened in the south and industrialization happened in the north. Just a shame people don't realize that both sides relied on each other for the economic growth and stability of this nation.

It would be pretty interesting to teach biology over there...

Biology goes smooth in public schools. In private schools its hit or miss. My own ignored genetics and anything remotely like evolution or spun it to be christian like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"