The Avengers What people DIDN'T like from The Avenger ........Spoilers - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loki mocks Thor when they first meet, saying that Thor must love that Loki got the Teresect because it created an excuse for Odin to exert a lot of power just to send Thor to Earth. He even asks how much dark energy did the All-father need to send Thor now that the Bifrost is destroyed.

So that shows us that getting to Earth is a big feat even for Odin without the Bifrost, and sending Thor was done only to capture Loki and the Teresect. As others have said, it was made clear that the Teresect could open portals, so once Thor had it, he could get back to Asgard easily.

And with the Teresect back in Asgard, Odin can no doubt fix the Bifrost or at least send Thor to Earth more easily... for Thor's sequel no doubt.
We have a winner! Give the man a prize!

My problem with it is why do they need Coulson's death to finally realize they can be a team. They showed during the Helicarrier strike that they definitely can full function as a team not counting the Hulk. Loki is about to unleash an army on the world, they know he is going to do this but yet it takes Agent Coulson's death to inspire them. Really?

I wish they had "killed" Fury instead and had a post credits scene showing it was an LMD.

The movie was riddled with too many comic relief moments that made me forget all about the tragic concepts of all these heroes even having to be heroes. I don't recall a heart wrenching moment once. Captain America had lost an entire lifetime of loved ones, friends, family etc, and it had a split second of that. Instead of all the black widow **** and Hawkeye they should have concentrated more on the dark themes to balance the movie and not just make it practically a comedy. Almost EVERY action scene was accompanied by comedy. It felt like Raimi's spiderman that was a comedy with superhero attributes. Thing I like about Wachmen and TDK is that they were dramatic films with comic relief here and there, where as the Marvel line up are comedies with sentiments of the comics.

I just prefer heavier themes, layers, thought provoking discussion worthy movies.

this movie was good, but just not the style I prefer my dose of comic book adaptations. I'm more for the tragic dark elements and layered themes that are filled in the comics with very little humor. The comics are not full of laugh out loud moments like the avengers films was. I know Whedon had t play on the shallow minded audience like with the "weed" line. Spiderman is usually the comic relief in his comics, but every character being funny in avenger's except Captain America? yeesh. felt like i was honestly watching a comedy smh.

This was how I felt.

Ugh, I really hate to say anything negative since I did love it and do feel they touched upon everything that was extremely important. However, does anyone feel like they made a mistake editing out the stuff that would have made Cap the anchor of the film? I wouldn't have been opposed to him giving more orders at the end too.

I didn't get why Thor's powers were toned down. Did I miss something there?

Yeah, it's easier to forget about past when your memopry is lost. But still, the man was deeply in love and now after the first scene he just put all that behind rather quickly. Again, I get when you have 6 superheroes or so and have to deliver as much action as possible, you don't have time for everythiung, but I'm sure he would have had much more to do about it in a CA2 movie.

I think posters like yourself are forgetting they're saving some of that material for the solo films. We got the glimpse of how he felt about Peggy when he's in the middle of punching the punching bag and he's having flash backs. That's more than enough for this film.

Instead of stranding him in Asgard sad because he can't be with the woman he's known for a week, they should have had him get stranded on Earth, separated from his home and throne.

3 days .... not a week.

I think posters like yourself are forgetting they're saving some of that material for the solo films. We got the glimpse of how he felt about Peggy when he's in the middle of punching the punching bag and he's having flash backs. That's more than enough for this film.

Agreed. Not to mention there's probably some deleted scenes focusing on this.

I didn't get why Thor's powers were toned down. Did I miss something there?

Didn't look toned down because Thor's action made sense to me. Most of the big scenes were on the helicarrier and during the battle of New York. He had no intention of killing Banner and if he did, the helicarrier would have probably sunk. Same goes for New York, which would have been leveled if he went all out.

• The CGI gets dodgy towards the end. Though we're talking fantasy, some shots needed more work than others.
  • I know it's one of Loki's powers, but the mind control was weak. They could've foreshadowed it more than just the one time after the end of Thor if it was going to be a major part of The Avengers' plot.
  • The whole iridium subplot lost me. Was it really necessary? It didn't feel like it was.
  • I've no clue why the Council was in this, either. All they did was frown and provide a convenient solution to the Chitauri problem.
  • This is one of the few movies where the aspect ratio throws me off. It feels wider than it should.
Mostly nitpicks. I liked the movie. But it had its flaws, like any other movie.

There are characters who are more powerful than the Hulk. Cosmic powered, God-like beings. But when it comes to pure brute force the Hulk is it. Marvel goes out of its way to present this. As discussed some pages back, sure, writers alter eveyone's power levels when it suits them. But Thanos has never been shown to have the Hulk's level of pure stength. Maybe Thor's but not the Hulk.

Thanos KILLED Silver Surger in 6 punches. KILLED silver surfer in 6 PUNCHES. Thats a pretty damn impressive strength feat. Considering SS usually can take Thor's punches. I don't think Hulk could kill Silver Surfer in 6 punches, even World Breaker.

Nope. That's just standard Thanos.

With the IG he could just snap his fingers and erase Hulk, or anyone, from existence.

But in the actual story line he purposefully turned off some of the IGs powers to make it a challenge. He still stomped all the heroes.

Now, will he be that powerful in the movies? I doubt it. But i imagine he'll still be more powerful than all the Avengers combined.

Very nice. I am surprised by how little is known about Thanos' strength around here. He is the Ultimate..well character really. When I think of strength, Hulk, and Thanos. It just is natural so think Thanos is stronger.

Hulk's been beaten in brawls before. Like I said, Thanos has flat out KILLED the silver surfer in 6 punches.

• I know it's one of Loki's powers, but the mind control was weak. They could've foreshadowed it more than just the one time after the end of Thor if it was going to be a major part of The Avengers' plot.
That's not really an Avengers gripe, that's a Thor one. You could still come into The Avengers without seeing Thor, and not have to worry about it.

My criticisms:

I didn't care for Black Widow's role. I didn't really buy ScarJo as a cold warrior or the world's greatest spy. I think an older actress would've been more appropriate. Beyond that....I just felt like Wheon was trying too hard to do his cliche, tough Buffy-esque girl that he puts in every one of his projects. She didn't really fit in with the rest of the Avengers and alongside Hawkeye (whom I can forgive because he was under Loki's control for most of the movie) wasn't really part of the team dynamic that the other four had going for them (which gave so much heart to the movie).

One other criticism, I wish they included Natalie Portman and figured out a better way to bring Thor back to Earth. The ending of Thor made such a big deal about the gate being destroyed and Jane working to reopen it...the way Odin just created a new gate a few months later (and that it is only even addressed with a quick throw away line) cheapens the ending of Thor. Thor's sacrifice is what made the ending powerful. He gave up what he wanted (to return to Jane), to protect a race that hated him. He had evolved from a vain child to a true king who put others' needs ahead of his own. It should've been harder to overcome that sacrifice and Jane should've played a role in it, IMO.

One other criticism, I wish they included Natalie Portman and figured out a better way to bring Thor back to Earth. The ending of Thor made such a big deal about the gate being destroyed and Jane working to reopen it...the way Odin just created a new gate a few months later (and that it is only even addressed with a quick throw away line) cheapens the ending of Thor. Thor's sacrifice is what made the ending powerful. He gave up what he wanted (to return to Jane), to protect a race that hated him. He had evolved from a vain child to a true king who put others' needs ahead of his own. It should've been harder to overcome that sacrifice and Jane should've played a role in it, IMO.

I don't disagree, but don't you think him being on earth but choosing to focus on apprehending Loki and saving the planet instead of chasing after Jane also reinforces what he's learned to a pretty good extent?

Thanos wanted the cube

"the other' said it was to open portals to other dimensions

With the cube in his posession Thanos would be very dangerous

Thanos clearly knows all about Asgaurd...

Thor seemed to fear the worse as he demanded to know who Loki had made deals with

perhaps in THor 2 it will be revealed that Thanos tried to envade asgaurd

perhaps in a flashback they could show Thanos challenging Odin and basicly put a beat down on Odin...

Maybe the sacrifice a guy like Balder here and show Balder step in, save Odin, but die at the hands of Thanos

Perhaps odin has to use 'something ' to defeat Thanos

.... a flash back that shows just how dangerous Thanos is... that he basicly came to asgaurd and nearly overthrew Odins regime

I think he wants the cube so he can GET to asgard. So he can get the gauntlet.

My criticisms:

I didn't care for Black Widow's role. I didn't really buy ScarJo as a cold warrior or the world's greatest spy. I think an older actress would've been more appropriate. Beyond that....I just felt like Wheon was trying too hard to do his cliche, tough Buffy-esque girl that he puts in every one of his projects. She didn't really fit in with the rest of the Avengers and alongside Hawkeye (whom I can forgive because he was under Loki's control for most of the movie) wasn't really part of the team dynamic that the other four had going for them (which gave so much heart to the movie).

Truthfully speaking, I had wanted Emily Blunt as BW at first, when she was cast but ultimately had to turn down the role due to her commitment to a forgettable Jack Black comedy. However, I think ScarJo definitely earns my respect in this movie, from her scene with Banner during the recruitment, the interrogation with Loki, and that fear she displayed when Banner was Hulking out. Plus, her scene with Renner before the final battle was a good showcase of her acting skill, as well. ScarJo also brings it in her action scenes, and she ended up convincing me that they made the right choice by choosing her as BW.

I think it's a minor gripe. First of all, Portman was very pregnant when TA was shooting so there's no way that she could've reprised her role as Jane. Second of all, I think by sticking a scene where Odin was trying to figure out how to get Thor to Midgard without Bifrost would've killed the pace, when the movie was already a bit slow during the second act. I agree with Whedon on his decision to skip the mumbo-jumbo and cut straight into the Thor-Loki scene.

I don't disagree, but don't you think him being on earth but choosing to focus on apprehending Loki and saving the planet instead of chasing after Jane also reinforces what he's learned to a pretty good extent?

Sure, I suppose. But my point is if it was so easy to get back, why not come back in the first place? Because it inconveniences Odin a bit? There was no sacrifice at all if he could've just come back whenever the hell he wanted but didn't feel like putting Odin out.

Sure, I suppose. But my point is if it was so easy to get back, why not come back in the first place? Because it inconveniences Odin a bit? There was no sacrifice at all if he could've just come back whenever the hell he wanted but didn't feel like putting Odin out.

I think Odin probably objected to Thor wanting to "chase a skirt" with his feelings toward a woman developed only during the course of 2-3 days. But as Thor said to Loki, that Midgard/Earth is the realm that he swore to protect, it makes more sense that he'd be able to convince All-Father Odin to use his energy and get him there.

That's not really an Avengers gripe, that's a Thor one. You could still come into The Avengers without seeing Thor, and not have to worry about it.

That could be said of all the movies that led into this. You don't have to watch them to get it. That doesn't mean the payoff of having seen them, like knowing what the characters are and are not capable of, shouldn't be considered relevant.

Now that I think about it, scratch the mind control not making sense. It doesn't until you see [blackout]Thanos[/blackout] show up, and realize the [blackout]Mind Gem[/blackout] on Loki's staff would explain his new power.

Last edited:
Only a few minor things, but they didn't detract from the spectacle:

*Hulk's face looking like Ruffalo

*Not seeing a different version of Iron Man's armor

*Hulk vs Thor being a little too short

*No cameo for Jane Foster other than the conversation & pic

*No Hank Pym

Most of that stuff can come in the sequels, so it didn't stop me from adoring the film.

Coulson. Need I say it? It's not so much that it happened, it's the fact that Whedon specifically said he wouldn't do it. Here's hoping we didn't see the full story.

I don't think it was easy for Thor to get back. Odin had to use dark energy, emphasis on the dark. It was obviously a risky endeavour, and i'll guarantee right now the consequences will play a part in Thor 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"