• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming What should they do with the Spidey franchise? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically, Marvel gets them back. Does Phase 3 change (something gets dropped or an extra movie added) to allow for a Spiderman movie or do they wait til phase 4?

This question is mostly worthless speculation, but I'm bored.

Like I mentioned in another thread, Marvel making more movies per year is largely dependent on resources, a co-production deal with Sony would open up more resources and so a Spidey film could happen before IW1. (without bumping another film)

He would be a scene stealer no doubt, but I think that realistically if Marvel ever got the rights back it'd be a good ten years before we ever saw Spidey on the big screen again.

If Marvel got the rights back completely I think they'd wait until Phase 4 to do Spidey. But with a co-production deal it could happen sooner.

July 2016. It's the only upcoming year with only 2 movies (from the MCU)... Do you think they left that spot open on purpose?

We're past the point of no return for getting another film out in 2016.

But having a co-production with Sony would certainly speed things up

You can't throw money at a script to have it written faster and expect it to be good, doesn't work like that. The last thing we need is a rushed script, be it from Sony OR Marvel.

I would guess, if a deal were made early next year, a film shouldn't come out earlier than Summer 2017 or it would be rushed.

Assuming a deal is worked out in January, and Marvel / Sony start production soon after, I reckon they'd be able to get the movie ready for early 2017.

I really just kind of need any and all movie studios to take a break from Spidey for a few years. Let the Garfield version have some time away from the public, then bring him back after '19 or '20 or a couple of years from them with a new face and new team and new… everything. Unless Marvel wants to use him as supporting cast, a la the Hulk. Which is working amazingly well for the Green Guy.

Then again, I also need Sony to give up the goat and for Marvel to get back the rights.

Like I mentioned in another thread, Marvel making more movies per year is largely dependent on resources, a co-production deal with Sony would open up more resources and so a Spidey film could happen before IW1. (without bumping another film)

But there's also time. If they had the resources to release one a month, I'm not convinced they would. The pacing of the releases is pretty on the nose and still fits the general scheduling practices of most studios tentpole films, not to mention all the other studios' tentpole films who have their own dates staked out. Seems like a big reason why Fiege staked out 5 years in advance before actually deciding what goes where.

Funding isn't the problem it is creative control, marketing and distribution and profit split with will be the blocking point.

I find it hilarious that some people think this is a done deal when there are so many obstacles to navigate. This is FAR from a done deal.

This isn't like Hulk, Daredevil and Punisher where they were never hits Spider-Man's last two movies did 1.4 billion and the previous trilogy did 2.5 billion. Spider-Man is EASILY in the top three superheroes. So Sony wouldn't only be passing up on what Spider-Man is now but what Spider-Man could be given the right direction.

You can't throw money at a script to have it written faster and expect it to be good, doesn't work like that. The last thing we need is a rushed script, be it from Sony OR Marvel.

I would guess, if a deal were made early next year, a film shouldn't come out earlier than Summer 2017 or it would be rushed.

Funnily enough, I realise that

My point was intended to be a response to those saying that Marvel's production schedule was too busy to take on another movie, but having Sony involved would lessen that issue

Funnily enough, I realise that

My point was intended to be a response to those saying that Marvel's production schedule was too busy to take on another movie, but having Sony involved would lessen that issue

All MARVEL or BUST

I suggested a Spidey movie AND tv series

Me too.

Spidey's supporting cast is second to none and have all type of potential to grow in a Netflix/TV series. He has several villians that can easily be brought to the small screen and then they could use the movies for some of the bigger villians and even a S6.

Have Spidey join MCU. I don't care how, just make it happen, Marvel!

Add this to take with a grain of salt...

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/12/if-marvel-gets-spider-man-andrew-garfield-is-out/

All week, we’ve been tracking a major story concerning New York’s #1 webslinger, Spider-Man. Following a massive cyber attack on Sony Pictures, emails began appearing indicating Marvel and Sony went to the negotiating table earlier this year to work out a plan that would see the character make his debut in the MCU via Captain America: Civil War. However, when Sony realized the deal Marvel wanted would include a loss of creative control, the studio walked away from the talks… that was until the hack, which made Sony Japan (the parent company of Sony Pictures) aware of the situation and not very happy.

Now with Sony, reportedly, being told to get back in it with Disney and Marvel, new details have come to light from Latino-Review as to what Marvel plans to do with the property should it get a hold of it

1) Andrew Garfield will be replaced as Peter Parker, and all existing stories will be wiped clean.

2) Marvel will skip an origin story and start their version of Spidey as one that sees Peter already leading a double life

3) The MCU version would put far less focus on the romance angle of Spider-Man as the idea’s already been played out in five other films.

4) An appearance in Civil War is still possible, but as the script is just about finished for the film, the clock is ticking.

As of now, Sony still has complete control over the Spider-Man franchise, and everything the studio plans to do with the property (namely spin-off films such as Sinister Six) are still a go. But, given the financial state of both Sony and the franchise, the studio may be running about of leveraging power, especially following the highly disappointing box office gross of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Yeah, Nerdist just took what LR wrote, at least they credited LR.

All MARVEL or BUST

That is the most unlikely outcome of all this. Best that'll happen is the 60/40 split from before with Marvel having total creative control

Has any of this at all been confirmed? Where is this 'Sony Japan puts feet in asses!' business coming from?

Eh I'm not getting my hopes up. I know what I'd like to happen but I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't.

Has any of this at all been confirmed? Where is this 'Sony Japan puts feet in asses!' business coming from?

Eh I'm not getting my hopes up. I know what I'd like to happen but I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't.

Its unnamed sources, nothings confirmed I guess until Marvel announces it. Or one of the trades runs with it.

I said it in the other thread, but Spidey could be in a team up movie like we used to get Marvel Team Up in the comics. I don't know which one of the phase 3 movies could do that though, but maybe phase 4, so that they don't have to be completely Spidey solo movies, as we've had plenty of those already. Make it more like the Cap movies where, in Cap 2 and 3 he has plenty of other Marvel Universe guest stars (eg Black Widow, Falcon, Iron Man, Black Panther etc).

He could have a movie where he teams up with Daredevil. Not only would that make it more interesting than having yet another solo Spidey movie again, but would also spread the risk of having a solo DD film back on the big screen, even after the Netflix series, as audiences might not be too aware of that, and might remember the Fox version from 2003 with Affleck which could put them off.

We'd also have a fully developed DD in Charlie Cox, teamed with a new Spidey who doesn't need to be so developed as audiences are already familiar with him. They could have Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin behind the scenes, and both Spidey and DD could take on both the mob and any other related villains (eg Hammerhead, Tombstone etc) as well as a more visually interesting main villain.

Reposting my post from other thread-

Unless Sony completely sell-off their Spider-Man movie making rights back to Marvel, which I doubt they will....I don't see why Sony will agree to recast Andrew Garfield in MCU movies.

I mean, if Sony makes a deal with Marvel Studios for the sake of earning some money and getting their Spidey property some much needed popularity, as they would want to make another TASM 3 movie in a few years time.

What could happen is Garfield continuing as Spider-Man in Marvel movies and in Sony's TASM 3.

Reposting my post from other thread-

Unless Sony completely sell-off their Spider-Man movie making rights back to Marvel, which I doubt they will....I don't see why Sony will agree to recast Andrew Garfield in MCU movies.

I mean, if Sony makes a deal with Marvel Studios for the sake of earning some money and getting their Spidey property some much needed popularity, as they would want to make another TASM 3 movie in a few years time.

What could happen is Garfield continuing as Spider-Man in Marvel movies and in Sony's TASM 3.

If a deal between Marvel and Sony is made, Marvel will have creative control. Wouldn't that put casting and what-not out of Sony's hands?

If a deal between Marvel and Sony is made, Marvel will have creative control. Wouldn't that put casting and what-not out of Sony's hands?

Creative control would rest with the company that possesses the movie making rights, so unless Sony is giving those rights away back to Marvel ... marvel will not have 100 % creative control like recasting the lead actor.

As I understand...a simple deal for a guest appearance is not equal to handing over movie rights back to Marvel.

That would mean that Marvel are lumbered with Garfield as Spidey and all the baggage that came with the Webb movies, which they wouldn't want. Even if Marvel say that this is a new Spidey now, the audiences won't know that or remember that. They'll still see it as the same actor who was in the previous ASM films and will associate his backstory and everything else with this Spidey.

I would imagine Marvel will want a clean slate unencumbered by everything that Sony has set up and complicated.

Marvel will get what it wants. Garfield is going to be out and that ****ing sucks. He deserved much better than this.

That would mean that Marvel are lumbered with Garfield as Spidey and all the baggage that came with the Webb movies, which they wouldn't want. Even if Marvel say that this is a new Spidey now, the audiences won't know that or remember that. They'll still see it as the same actor who was in the previous ASM films and will associate his backstory and everything else with this Spidey.

I would imagine Marvel will want a clean slate unencumbered by everything that Sony has set up and complicated.

Audiences can deal with anything as long as it makes sense and they are enjoying what they are watching, heck, it doesn't even have to make sense.
Look at 'M' returning for the Bond reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"