• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Homecoming What should they do with the Spidey franchise? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of you are jumping the gun a little bit. First, there's no guarantee that even with Sony in trouble they will want to hand any of the rights back to Marvel. Second there's no guarantee Marvel will have the room in Civil War or Phase 3 for that matter for Spider-Man, their plans seem pretty much locked for the next 5 years and having to co-produce something with Sony is a headache they're probably not going to want. If Marvel gets Spider-Man back the more likely possibility is that he would launch Phase 4, which means no Spider-Man films for at least 5 years. With many of the actors coming off contract after Infinity War it makes a lot more sense to have a big name property launching Phase 4 in case there are no further Iron Man, Thor or Cap movies.

You know we're not talking about SONY totally returning the rights back to Marvel Studios, right? The deal would call for them to co-produce and earn profits from future Spider-Man movies. The only thing they lose is creative control. Under Marvel Studios, the films stand to make more money. Hopefully SONY Japan bosses see it that way as well.

You know we're not talking about SONY totally returning the rights back to Marvel Studios, right? The deal would call for them to co-produce and earn profits from future Spider-Man movies. The only thing they lose is creative control. Under Marvel Studios, the films stand to make more money. Hopefully SONY Japan bosses see it that way as well.

Apparently the Japanese side of Sony are the brains of the operation.
Seriously, the fact that Sony thought ASM 2 followed by a "Sinister Six" movie was a good idea just goes to show you their complete ineptitude.

That deal clearly fell through at some point. Marvel has just moved on and with Phase 3 more or less set in stone Spider-Man is Sony's problem

That deal clearly fell through at some point.

But the current rumor is that it's back on the table. Yes it's just a rumor, but at the least it's worth discussing.

But the current rumor is that it's back on the table. Yes it's just a rumor, but at the least it's worth discussing.

In the wake of the leaks would you want to work with Sony?

That deal clearly fell through at some point. Marvel has just moved on and with Phase 3 more or less set in stone Spider-Man is Sony's problem

Why are you ignoring the reports that said the initial deal was rejected by Sony Pictures (Pascal's domain), but the Sony Japan execs still want to make the deal happen?

In the wake of the leaks would you want to work with Sony?

To get back the most profitable superhero in the entire planet? Absolutely. It'd be a brain-dead business decision to do otherwise.

I'm sure Marvel Studios would still be interested if SONY wants to revisit this deal...

Edit: Oh you guys addressed it. It's hard following 4 threads!

Why are you ignoring the reports that said the initial deal was rejected by Sony Pictures (Pascal's domain), but the Sony Japan execs still want to make the deal happen?

Not ignoring it. If Sony rejected the bid that's their problem. Spider-Man is a luxury that Marvel can wait for, they are doing perfectly fine without the character.

Marvel has all the leverage now that Sony has been exposed. Whatever deal is done be under Marvels terms.

^ That's exactly right.

How about Jake Gyllenhaal for Spidey? Too old?

To get back the most profitable superhero in the entire planet? Absolutely. It'd be a brain-dead business decision to do otherwise.

If Marvel wasn't the behemoth it's become I would agree, but they have become bigger than Spider-Man. Spider-Man is a luxury item now, he's still earning Disney money through merchandise, if they get the rights back great, if not no big deal, they can wait. If Sony has shown anything in these leaks is that the place is dysfunctional, and as a creative person I sure as hell would want to avoid getting caught up in that type of mess.

A recast Spidey should be in his early 20's. Gives you more time to make movies with the actor, before he looks too old. The character should be either in high school or no older than early college student.

That's like getting Tobey Maguire for Spidey now, since Jake was rumoured to replace him for Spidey 2.

Maybe it is just me but Marvel has basically decided that Spider-man should be a perpetual teen now. I love the ultimate line, have been collecting it since launch in 2000, but it seems that marvel doesn't want an adult Spider-man and would rather go with the Ultimate/teenage version across all media.

Kinda wish he was a bit more in the Nightwing age range, young to mid 20s but eh...doubt I'll get to see that version (AKA Andrew Garfield) in the MCU or movies again anyway.

At 33? Hell no; he'd be an excellent choice.

The only way he wouldn't work is if they're dead set on going the teen/young adult route again. If he was portrayed as a seasoned adult, then it wouldn't matter.

If Marvel wasn't the behemoth it's become I would agree, but they have become bigger than Spider-Man. Spider-Man is a luxury item now, he's still earning Disney money through merchandise, if they get the rights back great, if not no big deal, they can wait. If Sony has shown anything in these leaks is that the place is dysfunctional, and as a creative person I sure as hell would want to avoid getting caught up in that type of mess.

Yeah, because Disney wouldn't want to make more money, right? :woot:

If they went for post college, adultish modern Pete then hell yeah. :up: That would be harder to integrate though, handwaving how he's been around all these years.

Why are people against Peter Parker being a good looking guy? He was a good looking guy in the comics.

I think it's because younger Spidey/USM works best on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"