The Dark Knight Rises What's Joker up too?

There was a part where the prison was being opened or the camera was going through the prison I remember it felt so ripe for a Joker appearance.

Like the camera turning into a room with the Joker in a guards hat spinning around a duck taped guard in a chair or painting his face or something. They addressed literally every character except him. It just felt wrong, but I completely understood too.

I understand the not mentioning him out of respect thing... But the movie feels like it should have adressed at least what he did

Wasn't Goyer's original plan that TDK would have ended with it being ambiguous as to what happened to Harvey, and then the third movie would have had the Joker on trial while Two-Face caused havoc around the city or something like that? Only Nolan then overruled him and condensed it into one film in a way. Good thing too, given what happened to Heat, but it's interesting...

I think he was either given the death penalty or moved elsewhere during those 8 years.

All the theories are interesting, and I'd like to see what Nolan had in mind for Joker had Heath still lived.

Bane lets all the criminals loose, it really only makes sense that Joker would have been on the loose too, just like [blackout]Scarecrow.[/blackout]

The only sensible assumption is that Joker was transferred out of state.
but how do we know for sure that happened if it was never said... it is just an assumption

My theory was that whatever Bruce does is mirrored by Joker. So while Bruce was a hermit, Joker was catatonic in Arkham, with no reason to live without Batman. I predict that if Blake comes back as Batman the re-awakened Joker will be his first challenge. He will get himself back out there the same way Bruce did in Rises.

I was hoping for some kind of nod. Bane let's all the criminals go and one of his men asks:

what about the clown?

Bane: No! He is too unpredictable, even for us.

Did anybody catch the "knife-homage" to joker by talia?

Was it just me?

I like to think that he was executed during those 8 years and no one mentioned him because The Joker is the kinda guy that the police (and everyone else for that matter) would rather not think about. I sure wouldn't want to remember him.

And there are a lot of people within and outside these forums that are (understandably) upset that he wasn't mentioned in the film, but really, that's the kind of respect that Nolan had for him, and we ourselves should respect Nolan's decision. The film wasn't anything less without him.

The Joker's going to be mighty interested when he finds out Batman's gone and there's a new sheriff in town.

Joker's likely in Arkham (prisons don't have padded cells). Bane broke open Blackgate. Completely different building. Easy enough way for Nolan not to have to explain Joker's whereabouts.

KBZ

It wasn't really necessary to mention him after 8 years. I just understood he was locked away in Arkham. The story heavily involved references to both Ra's and Dent which is why they are mentioned. Gotham had much time to heal after an 8 year gap.

I was hoping for some kind of nod. Bane let's all the criminals go and one of his men asks:

what about the clown?

Bane: No! He is too unpredictable, even for us.

I mentioned a similar scene in another thread. My dialogue went something like this:

Bane - "Noooo! Not him! We're trying to restore balance to the world, not burn it to the ground!"

With an atomic bomb....

Heh.

If they wanted to address Joker, they could've put in a line of dialogue between Batman and Gordon after the jail opened. ("What about the Joker?" "No. Just Blackgate. Arkham's still locked down."). Still, it wasn't really necessary. The shock of the Joker killings would've worn off, and the lasting effects seem to related to the Batman/Dent killings (because the people thought the killer was still at large).

No way this version of Bane would be scared of the Joker, though. He'd crack him in two and leave him for dead ... Joker would be a laughing paraplegic. The Joker is a primarily psychological villain ... Bane is immune to psy-ops (as Batman figured out).

KBZ

Last edited:
No offense, but I thought about the Joker in one aspect...he was not nearly as intimidating nor threatening, in my opinion, as Bane was.

With an atomic bomb....
Yes but it only had a blast radius of 6 miles. His plan was to "destroy Gotham" and Gotham only. Same as Ras Al Guhl in Begins. For reasons explained in both movies. Hence my proposed line makes sense.

Not mentioning the Joker was fine to me, because of the 8 year gap. We don't know what happened to him, and he's just as much a mystery as he was when he appeared on that street corner at the beginning of TDK. Just a force of evil.

That being said, had Heath lived, I'm almost certain he would've had Crane's role as the "judge." (That is, assuming the story would've been exactly the same, which I'm not sure of either, if Heath were around.)

Or they may have took another page from DKR, and he might've woken up from a catatonic state when Batman re-emerged. Either way, would've been nice to see but I'm fine with the way it was.

Last edited:
Yes but it only had a blast radius of 6 miles. His plan was to "destroy Gotham" and Gotham only. Same as Ras Al Guhl in Begins. For reasons explained in both movies. Hence my proposed line makes sense.

What would you think Joker's burn radius would be? :O

I'd like to believe that the Joker is still locked away in Arkham, most likely on the outskirts of Gotham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"