The Avengers "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Thor" - Part 4

An additional factor is that the Asgardians may well have a scientific understanding of how "magic"/superpowers work. Is the definition of "magic" in the lack of obvious tools, or the lack of understanding?

Ya, a lighter that can be summoned by a King's command .... that's it. :whatever: ....There is more to a lighter btw than metal liquid and gas. There is an igniter. When we see the Destroyer expand, gearing up to blast people we can see there's nothing inside of him. It also had it's exterior rotate around ... if there was liquid in there it would've spilled out.

I see you blatantly ignored my comment about the enchantments Odin can perform as he did on baby Loki. Do we "not know what's inside of Odin's hand" as he's doing that as well? LOL ..... Sif attacked the Detroyer because that's what Warriors do. There's no guarantee what she wanted to do was gonna work .... nowhere in the story is it explained how the Destroyer can be taken down.

Would it have spilled out if it was in an internal cannister? This is my point, we make basic assumptions with no evidence but from what Thor says it all has its foundation in science and not 'magic' as we define it.

As for baby Loki, was it even Odin? Loki is a shapechanger at the best of times. You don't think he can be like a chameleon and change to adapt to his surroundings? Notice in the Jotunheim scene, he went blue and then white again naturally, later on he can do it at will.

So Sif attacked a giant killer robot with no plan but one stab and the hope not to die? That isn't a warrior ethic, that's a candidate for a Darwin Award.

At will? Didn't Loki only change when touched by a Frost Giant or touching the Casket?

Would it have spilled out if it was in an internal cannister? This is my point, we make basic assumptions with no evidence but from what Thor says it all has its foundation in science and not 'magic' as we define it.

Ace, we got to look inside of the Destroyer when he would expand before firing a blast as well as a pretty good close up when his body was rotating around. It was all fire and metal.

As for baby Loki, was it even Odin? Loki is a shapechanger at the best of times. You don't think he can be like a chameleon and change to adapt to his surroundings? Notice in the Jotunheim scene, he went blue and then white again naturally, later on he can do it at will.

No. Loki's shape changed because of the enchantment Odin put on him when he slowly raised is hand over his face after he found him abandoned in the temple, not the other way around. It wasn't until he was touched by another frost giant or he touched the Casket that his true image appeared.. What about when Loki makes the Casket of Ancient Winters appear so he could blast Heimdall and then when he makes it disappear? Gotta be something inside of Loki's hand right? LOL

So Sif attacked a giant killer robot with no plan but one stab and the hope not to die? That isn't a warrior ethic, that's a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Attacking is a warriors ethic, pure and simple. Remember her "there will be tales told of this day" line? Of course you don't. They don't care whether the live or die, the glory is in the battle and in some cases death. Then again you're also the same guy who doesn't understand the context of the magic and science line ....

Giant lighter LOL .... too funny.

Last edited:
jeez, your getting really snippy about this!

Ace, we got to look inside of the Destroyer when he would expand before firing a blast as well as a pretty good close up when his body was rotating around. It was all fire and metal.

I'll take your word for it. I'm sure you know all about Asgardian engineering.

No. Loki's shape changed because of the enchantment Odin put on him when he slowly raised is hand over his face after he found him abandoned in the temple, not the other way around. It wasn't until he was touched by another frost giant or he touched the Casket that his true image appeared.. What about when Loki makes the Casket of Ancient Winters appear so he could blast Heimdall and then when he makes it disappear? Gotta be something inside of Loki's hand right? LOL
Well, your the one saying that he changes because the casket is in his hand. So, your explanation is that when touches frost gianty things Odin's enchantment fails? Because that makes more sense to you than a character known to change shape being chameleon-esque?

Attacking is a warriors ethic, pure and simple. Remember her "there will be tales told of this day" line? Of course you don't. They don't care whether the live or die, the glory is in the battle and in some cases death. Then again you're also the same guy who doesn't understand the context of the magic and science line ....
I remember that line. I'm sure tales are told of stupid idiots who attack behemoths with no plan and then get massacred. I'm sure the Asgardian kids get around the fire and laugh at such tales.

I just can't even fathom that some people just didn't get the theme of the movie that was so blatant. Selvig doesn't believe in kids stories and magic, Jane believes that science and magic are the same thing, Thor says that science and magic are the same thing 'because you're right' and we are still having this conversation. I'm an English grad, I've heard weird explanations for things in my time but this is a whole new realm of incomprehension.

Except, like I showed before. We are told. Thor explicitly says that what our ancestors thought was magical was actually what we consider today science. Asgardians don't distinguish the two. The vikings looked to them and saw gods and while humans have advanced to see that isn't totally true the MU still isn't on their level so it still looks like magic.

I believe he said "You're ancestors called it magic and you call it science", that still doesn't prove that it's not magic.

That's basically just leaving it open for interpretation.

Last edited:
This thread is getting cluttered. Lol. You guys need to agree to disagree. There are bigger things in the world than complaining about the use of fictional technology in a movie

This thread is getting cluttered. Lol. You guys need to agree to disagree. There are bigger things in the world than complaining about the use of fictional technology in a movie

This is the "Thor thread" and this topic relates to Thor, so it's all fair game.

I think Batman's line "Magic is just another realm's science" comes into play here. I do believe that it is advanced science and tech but properties are much different where they come from. Who's to say that they even use the same periodic table? What matters is that it looks like magic to us and that's enough for me. I still believe that it's an advanced race with advanced tech so the ant and human comparison is a valid one. These are guys with a level of advancement that we'll never reach and I find that pretty cool both in the movies and comics. Hey if Superman can go into a coma that mimics death because of his advanced physiology then I'm all for believing something similar with Asgardians. I'm all for believing that these abilities combined with their technology makes them godlike to us.

This is what makes the reverse engineering of such a weapon far fetched but if these guys can do it with the Cosmic Cube I have no problem suspending my disbelief enough to believe they can do it with Asgardian tech too...Actually Asgardian Iron Man armor would be pretty awesome. Destroyer Armor Iron Man. :woot:

I believe he said "You're ancestors called it magic and you call it science", that still doesn't prove that it's not magic.

That's basically just leaving it open for interpretation.

Exactly, my man.

Ha. That's kinda funny since I'm watching Next Avengers. Guess they called it on Thor having a daughter.

next_avengers_torunn_group_kids1.jpg

Ha. That's kinda funny since I'm watching Next Avengers. Guess they called it on Thor having a daughter.

next_avengers_torunn_group_kids1.jpg

I was watching this last month and I realized the Thor in this film is "King Thor", complete with his badass armor and the Odin Force.

tumblr_ljq3zaeoUK1qzf0ymo1_500.jpg

That was the Thor that got me into his books. With that exact issue too. Guy just looked too badass NOT to pick it up.

That was the Thor that got me into his books. With that exact issue too. Guy just looked too badass NOT to pick it up.

Yeah King Thor was badass indeed, it's probably one of my favorite Thor runs of the 2000s decade.

I would love to see Chris become "King Thor" in one of Thor's sequels, as a matter of fact it could happen in THOR III.

I can see that being a reason for Anthony Hopkins to leave the series. I honestly don't see him staying so King Thor could very well be how it happens. I can see Odin being killed by Surtur and Thor being pretty vengeful and needing the Odinforce to stand a chance. It's also a good excuse to start sporting the helmet.

I can see that being a reason for Anthony Hopkins to leave the series. I honestly don't see him staying so King Thor could very well be how it happens. I can see Odin being killed by Surtur and Thor being pretty vengeful and needing the Odinforce to stand a chance. It's also a good excuse to start sporting the helmet.

Yeah that would be the premise for THOR III, Thor taking up Odin's mantle and also putting a stop to Surtur once and for all.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll get the Donald Blake persona in Thor 2?

I kinda wished Thor had called Hulk 'The mightest Mortal on Earth' during their fight, or made some reference to finally fighting someone on Earth worthy....

Well, Thor was trying to calm him down, wasn't his full mite, and couldn't cut loose. Maybe he didn't say that because he still actually didn't deem Hulk worthy :p haha

But seriously though. We can assume in the MCU, whatever villians appear in Thor's movie, he probably has met before. So I am sure he has faced a physical challenge greater than Hulk. Mangog maybe.

You can dislike it all you want....at home.

On here, if I see anyone attacking someone just because they think differently about something.....I tell them not to that. People are allowed to have opinions and like and dislike things differently than you without having to be called names and derided.

Please post more civil in the future.

Okay, well, I made it clear I was not referring to ANYONE on this forum. I said the extreme fangirls. (Youtube, and ones I have seen in stores and at the midnight premiere). My comment was not directed at anyone on this forum, hence the "here?" just displaying my frustration to people who I have encountered. Nothing to do with anyone here. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal if I posted my frustration regarding something of an outside source, of which had nothing to do with any posters here. Yes, my original post made it hard to understand so, BUT I did I say in a previous post prior to the one you quoted "not anyone on this forum, not what I meant". something like that, its there.

Lets not go putting words in my mouth.

My comment/rant was directed at no one on this forum,

Thank you.

But okay, I will post more civil.

Excuse me for being defensive here by the way. Thats how I am, very very defensive.

Last edited:
Yeah King Thor was badass indeed, it's probably one of my favorite Thor runs of the 2000s decade.

I would love to see Chris become "King Thor" in one of Thor's sequels, as a matter of fact it could happen in THOR III.

I think he can pull of the look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"