Why Mark Ruffalo?

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by Picard Sisko, May 28, 2012.

1. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

I do have to say that Mark Ruffalo's portrayal of Bruce Banner was pretty much an homage to Bill Bixby's lone wanderer in the T.V. series. I liked his performance overall, and that part in India with Black Widow where he snaps angrily at her always makes me jump.

2. I'm Venom

I'm Venom "Hi, honey..."

Mark Ruffalo did an excellent job as Banner and was up to the standard that Edward Norton created.

3. Picard Sisko

Picard Sisko Prepare to be Assimilated

I actually love Bill Bixby the most. A man always on the run.

I haven't really seen Ruffalo in anything other than chick flicks. I will research some of his movies, maybe try to get a better idea of his work.

4. PSYLENTGuardian

PSYLENTGuardian El Pollos Hermano

Ruffalo initially didn't strike me as Bruce Banner. Just by appearance, though. Norton had that Banner look as a supplement coupled with a good performance. I thought Ruffalo really nailed the mild-mannered aspect of Bruce.

5. Lady Marion

Lady Marion It's all in the swing

I was never a huge Hulk fan. I didn't like the Bana-Hulk/Banner at all, Norton was ok, his movie was entertaining and good. But I love the Ruffalo-Hulk. Ruffalo managed it that i feel sympathy with the character. He did an incredible job. IMO.

6. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

For me, the big issue with Bana was that I always picture Bana as a tough guy, not "puny Banner," so I feel like he should be kicking everyone's ass at all times, and that's the Hulk's job, not Banner's.

7. Lady Marion

Lady Marion It's all in the swing

Right, especially if you see him before as Hector in Troy.

8. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Or pretty much everything else he's in: Black Hawk Down, Star Trek, Munich etc.

9. warcam

warcam Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact he's damn near 6'3". Banner and Thor aren't supposed to be the same height :woot:

10. Dark Raven

Which is two inches shorter than Lou Ferrigno, who might have lost a bit of height in his old age anyway and might now be 6'3" instead of 6'5". You can't have a Banner who is practically the same height as the Hulk!

11. ThatDamnNinja

ThatDamnNinja Well-Known Member

I've wanted Edward Norton to play Bruce Banner since I saw him Fight Club and American History X. He was the only choice as far I was concerned. I remember being pissed when they cast Eric Bana instead, and, after watching Hulk, thinking about how much better Edward Norton would've been. I squealed like a girl when Edward Norton was cast in The Incredible Hulk. I thought he did a great job. When I found out he was being dropped, I was pissed. When I found out they were replacing him with mellow nice guy Mark Ruffalo, I was even more pissed, and had no idea what the hell they were thinking.

Then I saw The Avengers. Mark Ruffalo is a better Bruce Banner than Edward Norton.

12. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

I've been thinking was Ruffalo Marvel's one and only choice after Norton or was there a long list of actors to play Bruce Banner?

13. ThatDamnNinja

I've noticed a pattern of the studios, with superhero movies, with all major casting choices, skimming recent Oscar winners and nominees as their first resort. Mark Ruffalo had just been nominated for The Kids Are Alright. I'm 99% sure that's why they approached him.

14. warcam

warcam Well-Known Member

Actually, he didn't get nominated until AFTER he got the gig. He was announced in the summer of '10, and the nominations came out in Jan. '11.

15. ThatDamnNinja

Oh man. Silly me! Good thing I left that 1% possibility of being wrong.

In that case, I have to assume that they looked him because of the buzz he was getting for the role from Sundance.

16. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

As long as we're doing picture comparisons,

[​IMG]

To me, Ruffalo resembles Bixby's Banner as much as Norton resembled comicbook Banner so in terms of physical representation there is a precedent. Avengers Banner looks like the Banner from a previous TV show as opposed to the comics (not an issue for me as Bixby was God - come to think of it you say you also love Bixby the most so I wouldve thought Ruffalo would have been right up your street, tbh :huh:). All this 'I couldnt buy him as Banner as he didnt look like him' stuff that I read on occasion on these boards doesnt really hold water as far as I'm concerned.

Following on from that, in terms of performance I just dont get your critique of MR either as he absolutely nailed it. Yes, so did Norton (no arguement there) and both were excellent as the Banners they were playing but that's the key thing - the Banners they were playing were in very different places, emotionally.

He didnt feel like the character? He looked uninterested?

You're entitled to your opinion obviously but I'm scratching my head at it.

17. Dark Raven

I just wish Ruffalo had worn some plaid shirts in the Avengers, and maybe had his hair a little more styled like Bixby. Plus the glowing eyes during the transformation - that was a must!

18. Brian Braddock

Haha yes, a plaid shirt would have been great.

19. tamron

tamron Well-Known Member

Downey pushed for Ruffalo having worked together in Zodiac. Marvel probably had him on the radar because of The Kids Are Alright, but I'd bet Downey's influence had some weight as well.

20. Slushy

Slushy Well-Known Member

This! Don't let the bandwagoners fool you. Ruffalo was the pits.

21. Ready4This

Ready4This New Member

the little hand twitch / glasses wipe thing started to annoy me.

22. Radioactive1980

Radioactive1980 Well-Known Member

Nah, the purple shirt was waaaaaay cooler.
    After all he was playing Bruce Banner, not Bill Bixby's Bruce Banner.

23. Brian Braddock

Technically, that would be David Banner.

24. Brian Braddock

And anyways,we werent talking about characterisation (of course it isnt Bixby's Banner in the Avengers - I dont think anyones said that it was) we were talking visually - Ruffalo's Banner strikes a certain chord with some of us older folk who used to watch the TV show and worshipped Bixby. As I said - visually. He's certainly more Bixby than Norton in terms of appearance, and the plaid shirt thing was just a bit of a goof.

25. warcam

warcam Well-Known Member

If he's going to wear the plaid shirt, he needs the bell bottom jeans to go with it :D

[​IMG]