Why Venom Fans Didn't Like Venom

DACMAN

The Spidey Fan
Reaction score
I love Venom. He might well be my favorite villain of all time. So why didn't I love him in the movie? I think I finally figured it out. Eddie Brock wasn't huge. He wasn't a body builder like in the comics. And for those that want to argue he wasn't that big to begin with...

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Brock,_Eddie

6 foot 3, 260 pounds. He's a big guy. So why is this a big deal to me? Why would that change his character? Because, Spider-Man aka Peter Parker used to be a nerd. He got beat up all the time in school and he had a lot of self-confidence issues. Spider bites him, he becomes a superhero, gains confidence and so on. He leaves high school, becomes good buddies with the guy that picked on him. But along comes Venom. A guy that can do everything he can, but is bigger, meaner, and out to pick on him (see Larson run). He is the ultimate bully, the ultimate jock. He is actually stronger than Spider-Man so he CAN pick on him. But since they made him a "doppleganger" of Peter, it took away from the true meaning of the character, a bully. A bully that knows everything about Peter, can do everything he can, but better.

Brock being a doppleganger of Peter was a very interesting thing to do, and it worked, IMO. He was Peter's dark side and he represented the evil inside Peter (Venom). Great character right there. :up:

It would have been better had he been the villain for an entire movie, instead part of a supervillain gang.

A really good storyline would have been, once Peter got rid of the symbiote, was that the symbiote spent the movie stalking Peter and caused a whole ton of of trouble that matched Spiderman's abilities, including some robberies, murders and severly hurt thugs, with Spiderman being blamed for the whole thing.

That could have been a real psychological terror kind of movie.

As many know, Venom is my favorite villain. And I liked Venom in SM3. Here is my opinion.

But I do understand why some Venom fans don't like him in Spider-Man 3. I've seen this argument from both sides many times before.

I did like this venom. I just wish I saw more of him haha

Venom was never presented as a replacement for the bully in Peter's life. Where are you getting this stuff? And he is stronger than Spidey in the movie.

Honestly, this is getting rather tiresome. Another Venom thread? About a single fan's opinion? I know the boards are slow but we don't need to reiterate our opinion on old and tired subjects in new threads...

Venom was never presented as a replacement for the bully in Peter's life. Where are you getting this stuff? And he is stronger than Spidey in the movie.
It's called reading into the desired message. People over the age of 10 typically do it with the material they read. :whatever:

But since I have to spell it out for you:

Amazing Spider-man 362 is an example. He is a weight lifting jock, who scares Peter. He enjoys making his life miserable, and Peter avoids him whenever possible. If you don't get that Venom is a living metaphor of the bullies he left behind in high school I suggest learning critical reading skills. May I suggest the most basic college course in Lit 101?

Honestly, this is getting rather tiresome. Another Venom thread? About a single fan's opinion? I know the boards are slow but we don't need to reiterate our opinion on old and tired subjects in new threads...
I've got an idea...

DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD! IT'S SO FRICKEN AMAZING! YOU CAN ACTUALLY CONTROL WHICH THREADS YOU CAN AND CANNOT GO INTO! IT'S THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!

For me it wasn't just the lack of being visually accurate to the Venom/Eddie Brock I grew up with (the one who looked like Schwarzenegger) it was the simple fact that Topher Grace is too much of a lightweight to be a really effective villain.

DACMAN said:
It's called reading into the desired message. People over the age of 10 typically do it with the material they read. :whatever:

But since I have to spell it out for you:

Amazing Spider-man 362 is an example. He is a weight lifting jock, who scares Peter. He enjoys making his life miserable, and Peter avoids him whenever possible. If you don't get that Venom is a living metaphor of the bullies he left behind in high school I suggest learning critical reading skills. May I suggest the most basic college course in Lit 101?

Everything you mentioned about Venom could easily be applied to other Spidey villains (and mainly Green Goblin), except from the weight lifting part. Is that what makes him a bully? Listen to yourself. Just because you think Venom is presented as a bully, everyone who doesn't think so is automatically wrong and should improve his reading skills? Not only that, but since that's what made you dislike movie Venom, you have the right to speak on behalf of every Venom fan?

Since you're so adept with reading skills, you may want to consider that what a person gets from a text is highly subjective. And it's funny you mentioned the age thing because that's what I keep wondering about surfing these forums. Is everyone underage (and I don't mean you)? Anyway, I've no intention of getting involved in a childish game of sarcasm and name-calling, if that's what you're interested in. Learn to respond in a mature and constructive way.

I've got an idea...

DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD! IT'S SO FRICKEN AMAZING! YOU CAN ACTUALLY CONTROL WHICH THREADS YOU CAN AND CANNOT GO INTO! IT'S THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!

There are mods checking for valid and non-valid threads. And personal opinion threads on a much discussed subject are at the top of the non-valid list. So, somebody has obviously thought of your idea before and decided it's not the way to go. Bottomline, I made a suggestion. You don't have to do anything about it and bolds and capitals are certainly not going to alter my opinion. Enjoy your thread.

I liked Venom.

I liked his look, and his motives. It was obviously what would have happened if Peter had kept the Symbiote, and what it would to to an evil person. He was obviously the anti-Spider-Man. Also, Brock was the only one who couldn't forgive. He had to get his revenge.

I'm a Venom fan and I thought Venom was freakin' awesome in SM3, dispite the fact that e didn't have alot of screen time and that he supposedly died

Being a huge Venom fan,I loved him in the film. My main complaint is the same as everyone else:lack of screen time and development(and of course,his death).

Enjoy your thread.
See, was that so hard? You don't have to come in here and pick a fight. You can disagree with my opinion but if you come in here to simply say "THIS THREAD SUCKS! THERE IS NO REASON FOR IT!" you're just going to piss people off.

The reason why Venom wasn't as good as he could have been is that he was 2 dimensional and not even a great addition to the plot. It doesn't have to do with how beefy or bulked up Topher was...it has more to do with lousy writing and a character that just didn't feel necessary to the overall plot.

It felt tacked on and because of that...what could have essentially been a great movie version of the character, was a waste and there just was not enough interaction as Eddie and Venom to really give a **** about either...

Nor was Eddie's woes enough to make anyone feel anywhere near the slightest bit sorry for him.

For me it was because they cut him short on development. Like many others, keeping all the scenes from the novel would have made him a more solid villain and explained him better.

sorry must be lag on my end.

Last edited:
I think the fans expect to much

I'm ok with Venom in the movie. He has a lack of screentime, but pretty powerful on scene. More screentime will help though. I think some fans are not satisfied with the reason of Eddie going crazy (and also lack of screentime). If you think that it's the Symbiote manipulates Eddie into it, it will make more sense

Did Batman fans expect to much from the Joker? Maybe. But that's why they tried so hard to get it right.

It was forced. Venom was tacked onto the side of the film. My favourite side of Venom's character was completely ignored: when he stalks Spidey/Pete. They missed the ball a few times with him. We get Harry ambushing MJ in her apartment; it should've been Venom, allowing the chance for his great entrance - you know what I'm talking about ;) - and it would've worked just as well, if not better, than what we got. It would've made more sense, I think, to have Harry and Venom team up.

It was all out of balance and could have been reworked into something more fluid and compelling in many different ways.

It was forced. Venom was tacked onto the side of the film. My favourite side of Venom's character was completely ignored: when he stalks Spidey/Pete. They missed the ball a few times with him. We get Harry ambushing MJ in her apartment; it should've been Venom, allowing the chance for his great entrance - you know what I'm talking about ;) - and it would've worked just as well, if not better, than what we got. It would've made more sense, I think, to have Harry and Venom team up.
It was all out of balance and could have been reworked into something more fluid and compelling in many different ways.

If they'd done that and dropped Sandman completely, it might have worked. And, you know, not cast Topher Grace.

That's actually a great idea.

I think the fans expect to much

I disagree.

I'm ok with Venom in the movie. He has a lack of screentime, but pretty powerful on scene.

Not really. Venom is a physical equal to Spider-man not a stronger foe like he was in the comics.

More screentime will help though. I think some fans are not satisfied with the reason of Eddie going crazy (and also lack of screentime).

The lack of screen time is a huge issue. They could have made a film just about Venom.

Making Venom a comedian in the finale really hurt him, too. He spent to much time cracking bad jokes when he should have been threatening or attacking people and Topher Grace spending most of his time showing his face. Like Doom Venom works when he's scary. Riami didn't deliver this enough.

If you think that it's the Symbiote manipulates Eddie into it, it will make more sense

The viewers shouldn't have to do this. They should see it.

It's storytelling 101. Show not tell.

Last edited:
Other than his lack of screen-time, i actually really liked this Venom.

I've never really seen venom being parker relatively put back in his high school persona to which he was a helpless bully victim but i actually like the notion.

venom does indeed pick on parker and rile up his emotions and there's nothing parker can really do to fight back.

Eddie always tried to get his own way and to fool the public but spidey showed him up so now he's a legitimate bully victim.

it cause spiderman to regress to a feeling of helplessness

while there doesn't necessarily need to be a bodybuilder to fulfill this, a 'popular' character in the sense of brock being popular by lies and spidey/peter unveiling him to being a fraud would simply suffice and the suit could amp up his strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"