Zak Penn: Q & A's from the XVerse on Hulk 2

What do you guys think about David Twohy? Before Riddick all of his films were top notch. I thought he did an amazing job as far as directing Riddick but that story was just too much for the character. They should have made it Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay...like the game. He also has strong ties wtih Universal and a clean schedule.

Advanced Dark said:
What do you guys think about David Twohy? Before Riddick all of his films were top notch. I thought he did an amazing job as far as directing Riddick but that story was just too much for the character. They should have made it Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay...like the game. He also has strong ties wtih Universal and a clean schedule.

I actually really enjoyed Riddick, especially the directors cut, i think its an underrated movie, and i would rather Twohy did the sequel to that. But i would be quite happy with him doing the next Hulk movie.

^ I enjoyed Riddick too but they changed the franchise from a rated R sci-fi/horror film to more of a "save the earth hero" film. I didn't like that change though the movie was good...it was also very commericialized and a sanitized PG-13. Rid***** appeal was lost but the movie was good. Still...I'd take a futuristic prison escape film with him ala the video game over that any day.

Advanced Dark said:
This movie needs to be more like the TV show as far as Banner being a fugitive, on the run, and never being able to settle down with one girl. I think Connely's character should always be in his heart. I also think he should be in a future FF film where the 4 have to capture him.
Isn't this inferred by the ending in the first film? I.E. Ang showed that A) Ross was actively searching for Bruce/Hulk B) Bruce was actively hiding.
Whatever happens in the film he'll be back in America. Which mean's he'll be pursued by the Army again. And Bruce will be trying to lay low.
If they are gonna make this film more like something, it should be the comic. Not some tv show that had little to do with the comic.:up:

I'm not saying it should be like the TV show and not like the comic. I was only referring to the fugitive aspect of the TV show, and maybe the reporter chasing him down could bring some more fun to it. More like the comic...100% I agree.

Advanced Dark said:
^ I enjoyed Riddick too but they changed the franchise from a rated R sci-fi/horror film to more of a "save the earth hero" film. I didn't like that change though the movie was good...it was also very commericialized and a sanitized PG-13. Rid***** appeal was lost but the movie was good. Still...I'd take a futuristic prison escape film with him ala the video game over that any day.

I never played Butcher Bay but it was a prequel wasnt it? And they did say from the start they were gonna ramp up the scope of the sequels, but i do wish they had kept some of the rawness of PB. It did get a little too Star Wars and LOTR for my liking but i still really enjoyed it.

^ Butcher Bay to me is still the best game on the XBOX. I liked it better than Far Cry, Halo, or anything for that matter. Do not miss it.

I dont really play computer games anymore, went off them about 7 years ago and never got back into them. Cant see it happening now.

They should have had Riddick still as a murderer though, he lost some of his edge.

Advanced Dark said:
I blame all of this on killing Johns in Pitch Black. He and Riddick being opposites was interesting, as was the fact they could one up each other. Johns could out think Riddick and vice versa. And was the only redeeming feature of PB(for me, rest was average). Toombs never replaced Johns, even though clearly that was Twohy's intent. And with Riddick being the new universal badass in the sequel that concept that he had a single enemy capable of capturing him became non existent. He moved on to tackling Galaxy conquering roman knock offs.
Chronicles of Riddick was ok, abit too 'much'(overused cgi, new self-serving story plots to make Riddick more amazing). . From "the wrong man at the right time" to "The Man for the hour". And why was Judi Dench there? I never got that, what a horrible casting. She must of needed to earn some quick money to take the next step in the property ladder in Britain. :confused:

One thing a still didn't get is the next Hulk a sequel or a re-make, cause people keep reffering it to Hulk 2...Are they still doing the remake or are they now doing a sequel? Or nobody knows yet?:confused:

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
They should have had Riddick still as a murderer though, he lost some of his edge.
Yeap, this happens often. They turned him into the antihero cliche. "I don't want to save the day this isn't my problem....[someone he cares about dies due to his inaction]. I've had a change in heart, I will destroy you!" Or something...:O :doom:

I think Riddick as a character wasn't ruined as badly as Snake Pliskin in Escape from LA. They can still fix Riddick.

Symbioted Hulk said:
One thing a still didn't get is the next Hulk a sequel or a re-make, cause people keep reffering it to Hulk 2...Are they still doing the remake or are they now doing a sequel? Or nobody knows yet?:confused:
Depends, if you want a remake... it'll probably a remake. If you want a sequel... it'll probably be a sequel. It's all so vague people can argue either way(as I and CJ often end up doing).
[Ions shoots Cracker Jack a thumbs up]:)

Advanced Dark said:
I think Riddick as a character wasn't ruined as badly as Snake Pliskin in Escape from LA. They can still fix Riddick.
Yeah agreed. I really dislike Escape from LA. Original was just better. Why remake a film and pretend its a sequel?
Riddick can be saved, find some loophole to get Johns back. And make Riddick act like a bad guy, you know the badass murdering criminal we were told he was. :up: :marv:

Ions said:
Yeah agreed. I really dislike Escape from LA. Original was just better. Why remake a film and pretend its a sequel?
Riddick can be saved, find some loophole to get Johns back. And make Riddick act like a bad guy, you know the badass murdering criminal we were told he was. :up: :marv:

Well the second Riddick movie sounds like it could do just that. I think the story is he goes into the Underverse to being back Jack/Kyra with the Necromonger army and who knows what that would lead to. Also it was mentioned that in the thrd movie they will go to Furya. IMO it was all leading up to a big showdown between Vaako and Riddick. But thats another sequel we may not be getting.

Ions said:
Depends, if you want a remake... it'll probably a remake. If you want a sequel... it'll probably be a sequel. It's all so vague people can argue either way(as I and CJ often end up doing).
[Ions shoots Cracker Jack a thumbs up]:)

At thins point no one knows what Avi is thinking or saying. It could be a whole lot of bunk as well. Given Avi's history and all. Here's some of the things he's said since June 20, 2003

"Even if Universal doesnt do it , well take it somewhere else. Theres no studio that hasnt called us"

"We are just waiting for a script," Arad said. "We are going to make another Hulk, absolutely."

Gale Anne Hurd, producer of The Hulk movie, said plans are moving forward for the sequel.

"We're all really proud of the film we made," Hurd said Sunday in Tampa, Fla., on the set of The Punisher, which she is also producing. "It was an origin story. And I think now that we've got the origin, I think we can have a lot more fun with the sequels."

Marvels vice president

"The Hulk 2, which just got an undisclosed writer, he said "It is set up at Universal again. We talk to Universal almost on a daily basis about 'Hulk 2'. Hulk is a great franchise with a lot of life left in it."

Hulk 2 is in development for an 06 release. Arad reported that 6.5 million DVDs shipped for the release, and 3.5 sold within seven days.

"Hulk had an incredible story for us," Arad said. "What we're very proud of {is that} we made an Ang Lee drama. If we made it probably sillier or happier, maybe it would have done better. The point is that for our brand, Hulk was extremely successful in taking our franchise and lifting it out of sort-of-known to an incredibly important franchise that performed beautifully for us. And the DVD is performing very, very well for us and Universal, and obviously there will be a sequel. We'll call it Hulk-Lite to make it easier for people to deal with the psychological depth," Arad joked.

Comics Continuum spoke to Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige who says that they will have a meeting shortly with a writer for The Hulk 2, which he says will likely be made at Universal.

"We've got a meeting in the next week or two with a very talented writer who's come up with a version that is interesting. We're anxious about it, and think there are amazing stories to come with Bruce Banner."

While a director has not been determined yet, Feige says you can expect more action in the second film.

"We want to continue to take it very seriously and continue to follow his inner psyche, but at the same time allow us in the audience to have a little more fun, a little more action, a little more of the 'Hulk smash.'"

The Hulk 2 will be much different than the first film. Arad referred to the sequel as the "light" version with it not being as heavy, or dramatic.

Q: Let's talk about coming Marvel movies. In the "Hulk" sequel, will the green guy at least say "Hulk smash!" this time?

A: Of course. I think at the end of the first movie you see this commitment: "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

And he's coming to terms with who he is. "I've got this curse and I'm going to use it when I need to protect innocent people." And I think in [the sequel] you'll see a man who understands his problem, is trying to solve it, coming to terms with the Bruce side of it, still trying to reject the Hulk, finding a way to reject it, and there are consequences to that, of course. And who knows? Green turns to gray and all hell breaks out.

Expect a major announcement from Avi Arad soon about who the new director for Hulk 2 will be. And it looks like they have called Michael France in again to write a draft script for the second movie that will feature the Hulk in a more superhero role.

France also co-wrote the first film, which was directed by Ang Lee and criticized by many as being too dramatic. We'll have to wait and see if there's any truth to the above rumor.

The Hulk 2, Universal Pictures - Development, Slated for 2007

Hulk 2 Plans: "Hulk 2 is something that is very high on the list and we are starting to figure out who will write it and how to go about it. That’s a must-do. We loved Hulk 1 and we cannot wait to get into the next one."

I could post more but i have work to do . But I'm sure you get the point. :down

OH! Cracker Jack waves at Ions

Cracker Jack said:
I could post more but i have work to do . But I'm sure you get the point. :down

OH! Cracker Jack waves at Ions
Yeap, Avi isn't to be trusted. I already knew that. :)
Sucks waiting to find out which of us is...backing the right horse. As one might say..

[Ions is glad he painted silver go fast stripes onto his horse]:up: :marv:

Smith/Smyth. Like I said Ions. I don't care if it's a do-over or sequel. Honestly, I don't care. Further, after going through and finding all those post, I'm lead to believe that the answer will be neihter. I think it's going to be more along the lines of

Hulk 2 is something that is very high on the list and we are trying to figure out how to go about it. That’s a must-do. We loved Hulk 1 and we cannot wait to get into the next one."
Stay tuned :(

Cracker Jack said:
Smith/Smyth. Like I said Ions. I don't care if it's a do-over or sequel. Honestly, I don't care. Further, after going through and finding all those post, I'm lead to believe that the answer will be neihter. I think it's going to be more along the lines of

Hulk 2 is something that is very high on the list and we are trying to figure out how to go about it. That’s a must-do. We loved Hulk 1 and we cannot wait to get into the next one."
Stay tuned :(
:(
Hey on the bright side, after typing out that unnecessarily long reply to you over on HM I realised a different kind of Hulk movie sequel can turn out great(as with my Alien/Aliens thing).
Hopefully we are lucky.:) :up:

Its going to be a sequel if they get Bana it won't if they can't get him.

you both should smoke some pot and chill out :up: ;)

I wish Zak would come here. He doesn't have any kind of social site account like Myspace I could find though a few of his buds do. After the flak he got after X3 on the Xverse boards I probably would hesitate myself. Hopefully he'll pop up somewhere I can't wait to hear an update on this script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"