Will Sucker Punch bombing affect Superman?

the thing is WB knew about Sucker punch before they offered snyder a deal hell they made the movie with snyder

they did early test screening before zack was even offered superman deal

From a marketing standpoint, I don't see this mattering much. At most it might mean that Snyder's name will not be featured in the publicity, but then, was his name going to be a big factor in the marketing in any event? I doubt it.

A more open question, it seems to me, is whether or not Snyder will make a good film. Obviously, fans will draw solace from the fact that Nolan is involved, but it's the director who probably has the strongest impact on the final form a film takes, and a hand-cuffed director who is constantly being second-guessed does not necessarily make for a good movie.

So, I don't know. I'll just hope for the best at this point.

Is it possible that Snyder could be replaced at this point in the game?
Maybe Nolan will take over directing duties?

I don't think the WB execs are going to just glaze over the failure of Sucker Punch.

@Project
The WB expected Sucker Punch to do well. It did not. That could be a game changer.

Just thought about this... is it possible that Costner being a director himself will have something to say in the project?

Why would he? He's just Pa Kent.

Or Pa Kent + WB's on-set man. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happens. I just have this weird feeling about this, because he normally does films where he has a certain degree of control.

Well, love for the material and fanatism are two different things. What you're saying is that fanatism/love for comics and filmmaking skills are independent from each other. My point, so I agree.

As you say, in the end talent is what makes the true difference.

Well, the same applies for other things such as sports or books, whatever a particular movie is being made about. You can be too attached the material, which can make one not step back and think about how it'll play for those less into it...but it can also help one really feel what's important about a character beyond the surface. But yes, I agree that being a specific fan of a comic character shouldn't necessarily be an essential qualification for a chosen director. When you work in film, you find a way to appreciate the material even if it's not a personal interest beforehand, and you do what you can to get the best out of it.

Or Pa Kent + WB's on-set man. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happens. I just have this weird feeling about this, because he normally does films where he has a certain degree of control.

That would be awesome if it did happen. Costner's Dances with Wolves is one of my all time faves.
People are talking. This discussion is going on all over the net. I'm sure the WB execs are having their own talks.
WB is not going to just let this slide. Too much money at stake.
I think either Snyder is going to kept on a very short leash, his role will be minimized suddenly to executive producer, or he will be booted altogether due to 'other commitments'.
It's funny how most of the negative reviews concerning Sucker Punch take a shot at what may be in store of the Man of Steel (and not in a nice way!).
Maybe now aware that his career is OVER if Superman under performs, he may just deliver his magnum opus and surprise everyone: I hope he does. I don't want to wait another decade or two for a new Superman movie, I want a franchise now!

Is it possible that Snyder could be replaced at this point in the game?
Maybe Nolan will take over directing duties?

I don't think the WB execs are going to just glaze over the failure of Sucker Punch.

@Project
The WB expected Sucker Punch to do well. It did not. That could be a game changer.

Why do people keep refusing to understand that Nolan is going to be spending over a year working on his own movie? You know, this one: http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=425

Last edited:

Snyder is directing this, not Kevin Costner. Ever heard of "Too many cooks spoil the broth"? This movie only needs one Director. If WB interferes, or micro manages this film too much, then it will definitely suck. Having Costner or someone else, act as some kind of director in the shadows is the perfect way to undermine this whole movie. It ain't gonna happen.

I don't know why everyone is getting so worried simply because SP appears to be under performing. If Goyer/Nolan have given Snyder a great version of the Superman mythos to work from, and with the way the cast is shaping up, it would be pretty hard with his talent and penchant for amazing visuals to eff this up. Great story/Screenplay + solid cast+ amazing visuals/action = Great Superman movie. Imo, it all hinges on what Snyder is given to direct.

Btw. I still plan on going to see Sucker punch.

I don't agree with this doom and gloom about Snyder because of Sucker Punch. WB knew SP was a risk, that's why they spent more on marketing just before the release. WB like him as a director, so much so that they takes risks with him in terms of the projects that aren't necessarily mainstream. Superman is mainstream, it's less of a risk in that way. I don't think they're doubting Snyder as a director, more that they're doubting what they would allow him to do, what kind of movie to make. Superman *is* Snyder on a short leash- he has others writing the script, Nolan producing, a legacy to live up to, fan expectations. SP didn't have those things. I don't think WB are suddenly thinking the director they hired is another person. They know who they chose.

I don't agree with this doom and gloom about Snyder because of Sucker Punch. WB knew SP was a risk, that's why they spent more on marketing just before the release. WB like him as a director, so much so that they takes risks with him in terms of the projects that aren't necessarily mainstream. Superman is mainstream, it's less of a risk in that way. I don't think they're doubting Snyder as a director, more that they're doubting what they would allow him to do, what kind of movie to make. Superman *is* Snyder on a short leash- he has others writing the script, Nolan producing, a legacy to live up to, fan expectations. SP didn't have those things. I don't think WB are suddenly thinking the director they hired is another person. They know who they chose.

Precisely!

It would be one thing if sucker punch was just a financial failure but its more so a critical failure. Snyder's record with critics has not been good. He can still make money due to the fan boys who will still support him but for superman to be successful he has to greatly expand beyond the fan boy demo and you need good critical success for that...(not counting Transformers 2 as its not a superhero flick)

Snyder's right for Superman after viewing Sucker Punch. I'm sorry but there's some next level action in this film. It's a visually arresting film. A shock to the visual senses.

I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be another film this ambitious on all fronts the rest of the year, and that includes the Oscar season.

I'm not even remotely worried about Superman after Sucker Punch and his recent comments on the aesthetic of what he's thinking of doing with Superman.

no doubt about it, the action scenes are incredibly impressive

he just has a way about doing it that is so satisfying

maybe he should be the one mentoring nolan for fight scenes in TDKR

What's bothering me about the reaction to Sucker Punch is the idea that there's no substance to it.

I hear that I'm thinking, "What the hell movie did they just watch?" Sucker Punch might be Snyder's most cerebral film to date. I'm not saying it completely works (have to wait for the director's cut to truly see what he was up to) but it oozes subtext, just based on the fact that the film even exists. Hell, even with it's simplistic story line, 300 has some substance to it. It's not a brain dead film.

Snyder's an auteur, plain and simple. He can't continue to do this visual style of his. It would shock me if he DIDN'T switch it up drastically with Superman. Like Inception, Snyder's previous work has all lead up to Sucker Punch.

Man of Steel will be a new chapter. And, it'll be different.

I've always preferred movies shot on location rather than on sets or in front of a green screen, so having loved even his movies that were primarily done that way, I really can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Man of Steel will feel real. I find it interesting that people think that Watchmen was shot in the same manner as Sucker Punch and 300 when that can't be further from the truth.

While the environment of the film is an alternate reality, it feels more than 300 and Sucker Punch by miles. It has sets, locations, and green screen. It's a nice, balanced mixture, while 300 and Sucker Punch weren't.

Honestly, there really isn't anything to worry about with Man of Steel with Snyder at the helm. The craftsmanship of that film will be top notch, just like the rest of Snyder's filmography.

He can't continue to do this visual style of his. It would shock me if he DIDN'T switch it up drastically with Superman. Like Inception, Snyder's previous work has all lead up to Sucker Punch.

Man of Steel will be a new chapter. And, it'll be different.

Right. Snyder has been saying during these recent SP press junkets and premieres that he has been working in these stylised worlds and that with Superman it has to be different because Superman will be in the "real" world. And that visually it will be a departure for him:

I've stretched this world of abstract reality so far that the awesome thing about Superman is that Superman lives in the real world," he says. "And it probably will be the most 'real' movie I've made. It will more real than even Dawn of the Dead."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sucker-punch-premiere-zack-snyder-171282

Exactly. The execution and design of the action will be technically the same but the overall aesthetic of how the world, the look, and the action will be drastically different than what we've seen from him.

no doubt about it, the action scenes are incredibly impressive

he just has a way about doing it that is so satisfying

maybe he should be the one mentoring nolan for fight scenes in TDKR

:up:
lol

Exactly. The execution and design of the action will be technically the same but the overall aesthetic of how the world, the look, and the action will be drastically different than what we've seen from him.
Not necessarily. In a recent interview he left it up in the air if his usual tricks for directing action would carry over:

Q: Do you imagine doing slow motion flying and fighting?

ZS: I don’t know. I think the thing I’ve been thinking about with this movie is that it’s kind of its own thing in a lot of ways. I guess we’ll see how the action unfolds but the way I talk about Superman, the way I’ve been talking to everyone about shooting it is trying to get Superman to exist in the real world and be a character that lives in our world. So it’s a much more realistic, it’ll probably be the most realistic movie I’ve ever photographed.

I don't think sucker punch bombed at all I watched it twice now the first was to see all the visuals the second for the story, I read he wanted to make heavy metal but it fell threw. This movie has heavy metal written all over it. If your going to see the movie with an open mind and have the intelligence to comprehend it it was an outstanding movie. I certainly felt a lot was cut out though but over all I got it, and thought it was his best movie to date.

You know, even the best director cannot save a movie with an uninteresting cliche concept behind it.

The project may have been a turd from the get go, and you can only varnish it so much.

What really hurt this movie was the writing, I'm glad Snyder isn't writing SMOS. ;)

So yeah, SP's bad opening weekend will not affect SMOS in any way shape or form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"