WW Composer Thread

It is already instantly recognizable and I believe it'll stay the same and further establish itself as an iconic theme in the years to come.

I hope it stays the same. That's one thing about the MCU's scores that bothers me. They change them for every film, meaning that people can't latch onto them as something familiar that they're hearing again. Sometimes something becomes iconic through repetition. That's how certain TV show themes have gained iconic status, because you hear them week after week, and often set to a montage of images, although that's dying out with modern shows now.

I hope it becomes as recognisable as Superman's theme, so that even if the general public haven't watched the movie, they'll know it's the Wonder Woman theme.

It's more of a motif than a theme, which basically establishes the heroine's more macho warrior/amazon trait. Hopefully Gregson-Williams came up with a theme or motif with more nuance. Something that really characterizes the heroine and her compassion.

It's more of a motif than a theme, which basically establishes the heroine's more macho warrior/amazon trait. Hopefully Gregson-Williams came up with a theme or motif with more nuance. Something that really characterizes the heroine and her compassion.

Well, Superman had the main Superman theme, which sounded like he was charging into action and then taking off and flying, and it also had the more mellow "Can You Read My Mind", which was also incorporated into the middle section of the main theme. They can do something similar with WW.

Star Wars has several themes too: The main title theme, the Darth Vader theme and that other one.

"We are all to blame" reminds me a little bit of the music from Inception.

Listen to "Wonder Woman's Wrath". At 1:32 it's very similar to "Arcade" from MoS. :woot:

@4:46

[YT]lDAm7_3MRDU[/YT]

"We are all to blame" reminds me a little bit of the music from Inception.

Listen to "Wonder Woman's Wrath". At 1:32 it's very similar to "Arcade" from MoS.

Just curious. Are you not posting the direct links (to the You Tube playlist) because the source isn't authorized?

The soundtrack arrived yesterday, but I've only listened to bits and pieces of it because I'd rather experience it with the film first.

So far, It's all sounding pretty good.

I've only listened to it once, but the score is beautiful. It feels grand and emotional like an old school historical epic. It's another quality DC soundtrack, that much I do know. I don't have a fave track right now, but I think the score will be even better while watching the film.

The first three minutes of No Man's Land... *shivers* Such a great moment in the movie.

Unfortunately the score is what I feared it'd be: generic and drony. Rupert Greyson-Williams simply doesn't have the chops to make it as a solo composer, and all of his scores sound the same. The half-hearted attempts to incorporate Zimmer's riff don't work, either. I was hoping for an evolution of her theme, maybe a slowed-down version for quiet moments but that never happens.

And that song at the end is god awful.

Hopefully the film won't disappoint like the score has.

There are certain parts that remind me of "Children of Dune".

[YT]LAyRul4jHFY[/YT]

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not specifically about Dune, but there are not-so-subtle similarities to Tyler's signature simplistic motifs.

I hope it stays the same. That's one thing about the MCU's scores that bothers me. They change them for every film, meaning that people can't latch onto them as something familiar that they're hearing again. Sometimes something becomes iconic through repetition.

One thing is that a lot of the MCU themes aren't that memorable to begin with. Alan Silvestri composed the two most memorable themes, Captain America and The Avengers, and those themes were retained or quoted in the sequels. And Danny Elfman really developed and progressed Silvestri's theme into something wonderful in Ultron.

It doesn't help either due to different directors wanting to work with other composers, or the studio "asking" the director to work with a certain composer. John Debney would've scored the first two Iron Man films if it weren't for Marvel forcing Ramin Djawadi on Favreau for the first film

One thing is that a lot of the MCU themes aren't that memorable to begin with. Alan Silvestri composed the two most memorable themes, Captain America and The Avengers, and those themes were retained or quoted in the sequels. And Danny Elfman really developed and progressed Silvestri's theme into something wonderful in Ultron.

It doesn't help either due to different directors wanting to work with other composers, or the studio "asking" the director to work with a certain composer. John Debney would've scored the first two Iron Man films if it weren't for Marvel forcing Ramin Djawadi on Favreau for the first film

Silvestri's Cap theme was dropped in the sequel though. It only returned for the Thor: The Dark World as a joke gag. If you listen to Elfman's alternates for AOU, you'll see he was even planning on using the Cap theme in AOU, but nope. The MCU has terrible music continuity.

Listen to "Wonder Woman's Wrath". At 1:32 it's very similar to "Arcade" from MoS. :woot:

@4:46

[YT]lDAm7_3MRDU[/YT]

Considering that Rupert Gregson Williams was formerly part of the Zimmer RC crowd. The re-use of music doesn't surprise me. They practically borrow music from each other. Zod's "noise" theme was in Deadpool, and Junkie XL composed both.

BTW listening to the score right now, so far gotta admit it's not so great. Some slightly nice moments, but way too much of the RC sound is apparent.

Well just finished listening to the score right now. Some fine moments, but for me it's just more RC-style music with loud noises, repeating percussion loops, and a lot of ear bursting action music.

Wonder Woman's theme doesn't even seem to get an orchestral version disappointingly enough, and they still use that electric cello version that I don't think fits the character all that well.

Eh!

Last edited:
The score is a bit more generic than I was hoping, but it does have some nice moments that I'm sure will be more effective when I see them in context. That said, anytime that theme kicks in is A+, lol.

My biggest complaint is that Gregson-Williams absolutely teases an orchestral version of the theme in the first minute of "Wonder Woman's Wrath" and then never delivers on that tease.

The score is a bit more generic than I was hoping, but it does have some nice moments that I'm sure will be more effective when I see them in context. That said, anytime that theme kicks in is A+, lol.

My biggest complaint is that Gregson-Williams absolutely teases an orchestral version of the theme in the first minute of "Wonder Woman's Wrath" and then never delivers on that tease.
Maybe he's doing it like Zimmer; she hasn't earned her theme yet. :o

He does come from the Zimmer school, afterall.

I love the score!! :hmr: :hmr: Reminds me of the beautiful, epic scores from MOS & BvS! I love how all of the DCEU guys have a similar sounds but not too similar to be the exact same. Musical consistency is important imo. I hope Tom Holkenborg expands WW's theme in JL

The score is fairly generic, but I love Tina Guo's distinctive work here. It's pretty cool that WW has a real theme, unlike so many other superheroes. It's about as memorable as the X-Men theme.

The score is fairly generic, but I love Tina Guo's distinctive work here. It's pretty cool that WW has a real theme, unlike so many other superheroes. It's about as memorable as the X-Men theme.
Damn I recently saw 8 out of 9 movies and I didn't even know there is a theme :funny:

There is one, but it's just as forgettable as most. Unless he/she's talking about this one:

[YT]sAkL2-vh2Sk[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"