World X-MEN: Safe Haven for Those Who Demand More

Herr Logan said:
I don't like the purple helmet! :mad:

:wolverine

And I don't like purple much,but its part of his look!Plus,I'm not sure how the helmet would look with the colors inverted,so tough cookies!!:mad:

It opens with a Prof. Xavier voiceover,like the one used in Singer's version.We see brief glimpses of the teams origins-Colossus in Russia,Storm in Africa,etc.Then we see a young Kitty Pryde enter her home after coming from dance class.She tells her parents she left early because she was getting another one of her headaches.Her mother suggest they see a doctor,but her father thinks its merely stress do to taking on so many activites.He tells her that she should take it slow,everytime she's ever wanted to do something,she succeeds and then moves on to something else(he mentions her currently taking on ballet and gymnatics,and having gained a black belt in karate school).Kitty goes upstairs to lie down,and closes her eyes trying to stop the pain.Her mother talks with her father about the problem while making dinner,and asks her husband to ask her if she wants some tea.Her father stands on the landing and calls up to her.Kitty,still experiencing pain,tries to shut him out. She takes a deep breath,and before she even realizes it,begins sinking into the bed.Her father walks up the stairs and over to her room only to find it empty.Her mother turns away from the stove and walks out towards the staircase,and a horrified look comes over her face as she sees Kitty phase down the ceiling along with her bed sheets,and calmly float down.She lets out a piecring scream and Mr.Pryde comes running down the stairs.The scream is enough to snap Kitty out of it,and she opens her eyes and falls on the floor.Her mother is hysterical and her father desperately tries to make sense of whats going on. She points to ceiling where a pillow is hanging from it,having not been completely phased.KItty is freaked out by her parents reaction,and her own experience.The last thing she remembers was being in her room and closing her eyes.She gets up and looks up at the ceiling,then gasps and backs into the television....literally.The screen goes to static and she pulls out of it.The scene ends with everyone bearing panicked facial expressions.

the story continues with Xavier watching a Senate hearing held by to discuss the mutant threat.Senator Kelly is present along with Henry Gyrich,and Valerie Cooper,who have brief cameos.Kelly delivers an impassioned speech advocating the Mutant Registration Act.He cites incidents of violence involving mutants,including an allusion to an incident at Cape Citadel years prior.Hank McCoy is introduced as an expert on genetics,and explains the possible causes of mutation and makes some suggestions and how it should be dealt with.Kelly immediately rebuts with snarky comments about McCoys large hands and feet,and his foolishly idealistic beliefs.At the meetings end Hank speaks with Xavier wondering if bigots like Kelly in power will ever allow for progress.Xavier says that in the meantime it is importnat that he opens the doors to those youths who are disenfranchised so that they're hearts don't harden when confronting the coldness of those like Kelly.Seconds later Xavier stops sensing a prescence.He tells Hank to go wait with Bobby and the others,and travels down a corridor where he see's Magneto.They have a talk,pretty much the same as the one in the Singers X-Men.Xavier still has hope for mankind blah,blah,blah.Magneto intends to bring hope to mutantkind blah,blah,blah.

We go back to Kitty's house where the girl lies in her room still upset by the discovery and hasn't gone to school in weeks.She's afraid that she'll use her powers while in class and everyone will find out that she's a freak.Her mother(still somewhat in denial) talks to her about some alternatives. She mentions some other private schools who've shown interest based on her academic ability.She shows her a letter from the Massachusetts Academy about wanting to meet with her soon.Kitty dismissing her moms attempts to make her feel better,saying she doesn't want to accept the fact that she can't lead a normal life anymore.The doorbell rings and Mr.Pryde answers to find a bald man in a wheelchair alongside a tall man in his 20's,wearing ruby-red shades.Confused,he asks if they need some help,and Xavier tells him he's there for an appointment to discuss Kitty's eligibility for his school.Mr.Pryde shakes his head and in the middle of disputing the claim "regains" his memory after Xavier gives a slight gesture,and remembers speaking to him over the phone.He apologizes and lets them in,calling his wife over.

Xavier and Scott sit introduce themselves and sit in the den to discuss the school.KItty meanwhile,still moping upstairs with the classic "My life is over" teen mentality.She boredly her hand through the drawer next to her bed and pulls out a radio/Ipod or what have you,but she can't find her headset.She walks out of the room and calls out to her mother asking for it,and hears them talking downstairs.She sneaks down the steps and listens in on the conversation.Her parents are looking over a brochure and seem genuinely interested,though a bit reluctant.

Teresa: THis is all a bit overwhelming.

Xavier: Oh,I understand. Your daughter is special,and you don't want to waste her talents in a place that my not suit her needs.

Teresa: IT's just that,she hasn't shown much interest in returning her own public school...

Scott: The Xavier School is much friendlier environment than most public schools. She'll fit right in.

Carmen: Now some other schools have shown interest in our daughter.

Teresa: Yes,are you familiar with Ms. Frost from the Massachusetts Academy?

Xavier: Yes,I am quite familiar.

Carmen: What sets your school apart.

Xavier: We've been successful at helping many youngsters,who may not otherwise feel accepted by the peers because of their gifts. And we both know that young Katherine is exceptionally gifted.

THey continue discussing and Xavier says she can come by and try out the school for a time,and if she doesn't like it she can leave.Teresa says that ultimately it should be Kitty's decision.Kitty,having picked up on the fact that Xavier was probably aware she was a mutant,steps in and decides to give it a shot.She hopes that Xavier can find a way to "fix" her.

more laterz

Abaddon said:
And I don't like purple much,but its part of his look!Plus,I'm not sure how the helmet would look with the colors inverted,so tough cookies!!:mad:

"Colors inverted"?? Tell me you don't actually think that Magneto's helmet is actually primarily purple with red trim!

Those pictures you showed me? Those are Magneto. That's some "Ultimate" bull$hit. Magneto's helmet is red with purple trim, and if you don't know what that looks like, then you've got no business constructing a movie concept that includes him!!

But I'm sure I probably just misinterpreted what you said and am grossly overreacting, right? :o ;)

Xavier and Scott sit introduce themselves and sit in the den to discuss the school.KItty meanwhile,still moping upstairs with the classic "My life is over" teen mentality.She boredly her hand through the drawer next to her bed and pulls out a radio/Ipod or what have you,but she can't find her headset.She walks out of the room and calls out to her mother asking for it,and hears them talking downstairs.She sneaks down the steps and listens in on the conversation.Her parents are looking over a brochure and seem genuinely interested,though a bit reluctant.

Teresa: THis is all a bit overwhelming.

Xavier: Oh,I understand. Your daughter is special,and you don't want to waste her talents in a place that my not suit her needs.

Teresa: IT's just that,she hasn't shown much interest in returning her own public school...

Scott: The Xavier School is much friendlier environment than most public schools. She'll fit right in.

Carmen: Now some other schools have shown interest in our daughter.

Teresa: Yes,are you familiar with Ms. Frost from the Massachusetts Academy?

Xavier: Yes,I am quite familiar.

Carmen: What sets your school apart.

Xavier: We've been successful at helping many youngsters,who may not otherwise feel accepted by the peers because of their gifts. And we both know that young Katherine is exceptionally gifted.

THey continue discussing and Xavier says she can come by and try out the school for a time,and if she doesn't like it she can leave.Teresa says that ultimately it should be Kitty's decision.Kitty,having picked up on the fact that Xavier was probably aware she was a mutant,steps in and decides to give it a shot.She hopes that Xavier can find a way to "fix" her.

more laterz

Sounds good. :up:

What age approximately are Scott Summers and the various other X-Men at this point?

Herr Logan said:
"Colors inverted"?? Tell me you don't actually think that Magneto's helmet is actually primarily purple with red trim!

Those pictures you showed me? Those are Magneto. That's some "Ultimate" bull$hit. Magneto's helmet is red with purple trim, and if you don't know what that looks like, then you've got no business constructing a movie concept that includes him!!

But I'm sure I probably just misinterpreted what you said and am grossly overreacting, right? :o ;)

As per usual.:rolleyes::p

I actually meant I'm not sure how the helmet would look with that particular ensemble.

Sounds good. :up:

What age approximately are Scott Summers and the various other X-Men at this point?

Early twenties,though Storm and Beast are a bit older.

Abaddon said:
As per usual.:rolleyes::p

I actually meant I'm not sure how the helmet would look with that particular ensemble.

Of course. :O

Early twenties,though Storm and Beast are a bit older.

But the Beast is the same age as Cyclops, Angel and Jean Grey!

This is straight from 'X-Men: Evolution,' isn't it?

Herr Logan said:
But the Beast is the same age as Cyclops, Angel and Jean Grey!

This is straight from 'X-Men: Evolution,' isn't it?

lol.Don't panic.:D

Beast is the eldest,so while the other originals are about 20-23,Beast should be 23-25 and Storm is in the same age range.

X-Men Evolution Beast and Storm had a good 20 years on the others.:o

Abaddon said:
lol.Don't panic.:D

Beast is the eldest,so while the other originals are about 20-23,Beast should be 23-25 and Storm is in the same age range.

X-Men Evolution Beast and Storm had a good 20 years on the others.:o

Apology accepted. :)

Herr Logan said:
Apology accepted. :)

I don't recall apologizing anywhere.:o

Anyways,the story continues at the mansion.Scott is speaking with Hank,Bobby,and Jean and their having a sort of final reunion of sorts.The original team has decided to take a break and find life outside the X-Men.After a brief exchange,Bobby and Hank catch sight of Warren flying outside the window.They leave and Jean talks provately with Scott.He says he knows he wants to stay,and that he's unsure about whether the new team members are ready to take up the mantle.Jean tries to convince him to leave and tells him that theyre older than they were when they were recruited.They understand their abilities better and theyre equally devoted to the cause.She hints at pursuing a relationship with him outside the genetic war.Scott says he still feels he has a responsibility,and Jean comments on him being a soldier to the end.

The point here is to show that Scott,while holding onto his responsibility as a leader,is also a bit insecure.He's not sure there's still a war to be fought over,and that whats happening now will always be there.He wants to be with Jean,but she's determined to experience life outside their world,and though Scott wont admit it,he's afraid of whats out there.He's felt like the Institute is all he's ever known.Its hard for him to imagine not being Cyclops.Of course through the course of the film,he'll learn that theyll always be a need for X-Men,and in future films the other team members will come to accept this as well.Xavier will also come to understand that his X-Men have a right to lead lives outside the mansion,and begins admitting more students in hopes that theyll fill in for the team.

Kitty arrives as a fish out of water,and eventually comes to realize she belongs there.I'm not sure whether or not I'd have some other students alongside her,because it does seem weird that she'd be the only young student there,but I'll get to all that later.

Abaddon said:
I don't recall apologizing anywhere.:o

Of course not. ;)

Anyways,the story continues at the mansion.Scott is speaking with Hank,Bobby,and Jean and their having a sort of final reunion of sorts.The original team has decided to take a break and find life outside the X-Men.After a brief exchange,Bobby and Hank catch sight of Warren flying outside the window.They leave and Jean talks provately with Scott.He says he knows he wants to stay,and that he's unsure about whether the new team members are ready to take up the mantle.Jean tries to convince him to leave and tells him that theyre older than they were when they were recruited.They understand their abilities better and theyre equally devoted to the cause.She hints at pursuing a relationship with him outside the genetic war.Scott says he still feels he has a responsibility,and Jean comments on him being a soldier to the end.

The point here is to show that Scott,while holding onto his responsibility as a leader,is also a bit insecure.He's not sure there's still a war to be fought over,and that whats happening now will always be there.He wants to be with Jean,but she's determined to experience life outside their world,and though Scott wont admit it,he's afraid of whats out there.He's felt like the Institute is all he's ever known.Its hard for him to imagine not being Cyclops.Of course through the course of the film,he'll learn that theyll always be a need for X-Men,and in future films the other team members will come to accept this as well.Xavier will also come to understand that his X-Men have a right to lead lives outside the mansion,and begins admitting more students in hopes that theyll fill in for the team.

Very nice. :up:

The "new students" being Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus, or the New Mutants?

Kitty arrives as a fish out of water,and eventually comes to realize she belongs there.I'm not sure whether or not I'd have some other students alongside her,because it does seem weird that she'd be the only young student there,but I'll get to all that later.

If you're talking about the New Mutants as the possible new students, here's my response:

Personally, I'd leave them out, but that's just my preference. I could see it working with those annoying little punks there, as long as they weren't written as too irritating. That would establish a ranking system at the Institute, where "gifted youngsters" can learn to control their powers and use them responsibly, as well as get a wordly education like they would at any other school (except better at Xavier's), and they'd have the option of signing up for superhero training (I'd call it something else if I were going in this direction, but you get what I'm saying). If they reach a certain level of aptitude and excel in several rigorous final tests in the Danger Room (or even impromptu tests in the field, depending on what's happening in the world), they graduate to become X-Men.

Again, I probably wouldn't do it like this, at least not until the third movie (and even then the New Mutants would still have very minor roles), but that's one way I see it working well, in case you wanted a suggestion.

Somewhere in the first 24 issues of the first X-Men title (original team), Warren Worthington's parents came to the school unannounced and were commenting on the fact that there are so few students there. The X-Men weren't actually home at the time, so they were probably referring back to an earlier time when at least Scott and Iceman were there, and they didn't know it was a school for mutants at that point (although they didn't seem fazed at all at first when Magneto, in all his armored and cape-wearing glory, opened the door and invited them in to include them in a nefarious plot).

In other words, Lee and Kirby knew it was an odd arrangement and commented on it. I'd likely have a character point this out as well.
One excuse would be that the school is new (when it's relatively new, of course). After that, they could say that the most exclusive school in America, and the building wasn't built for students, but rather Xavier's home was adapted to be a school for the select few who merit and/or need his specialized curricula. They could also throw some bull$hit out there about how several of the students are attending the school via the Internet or some such-- correspondence courses I think they call it.

Herr Logan said:
Very nice. :up:

The "new students" being Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus, or the New Mutants?

If you're talking about the New Mutants as the possible new students, here's my response:

Personally, I'd leave them out, but that's just my preference. I could see it working with those annoying little punks there, as long as they weren't written as too irritating. That would establish a ranking system at the Institute, where "gifted youngsters" can learn to control their powers and use them responsibly, as well as get a wordly education like they would at any other school (except better at Xavier's), and they'd have the option of signing up for superhero training (I'd call it something else if I were going in this direction, but you get what I'm saying). If they reach a certain level of aptitude and excel in several rigorous final tests in the Danger Room (or even impromptu tests in the field, depending on what's happening in the world), they graduate to become X-Men.

Again, I probably wouldn't do it like this, at least not until the third movie (and even then the New Mutants would still have very minor roles), but that's one way I see it working well, in case you wanted a suggestion.

Somewhere in the first 24 issues of the first X-Men title (original team), Warren Worthington's parents came to the school unannounced and were commenting on the fact that there are so few students there. The X-Men weren't actually home at the time, so they were probably referring back to an earlier time when at least Scott and Iceman were there, and they didn't know it was a school for mutants at that point (although they didn't seem fazed at all at first when Magneto, in all his armored and cape-wearing glory, opened the door and invited them in to include them in a nefarious plot).

In other words, Lee and Kirby knew it was an odd arrangement and commented on it. I'd likely have a character point this out as well.
One excuse would be that the school is new (when it's relatively new, of course). After that, they could say that the most exclusive school in America, and the building wasn't built for students, but rather Xavier's home was adapted to be a school for the select few who merit and/or need his specialized curricula. They could also throw some bull$hit out there about how several of the students are attending the school via the Internet or some such-- correspondence courses I think they call it.

Well the Giant-Sized X-Men(as I'll refer to them to eliminate some confusion) are fairly new.But theyre qualified to teach at least in the realm of abilities.Of course Scott would give them pointers as well,casuing a bit of conflict,mainly between him and Wolverine who has had a lifetime of experience.

I guess I work in the New Mutants in a very minor role,but it wouldn't be just to have Kitty show up and eventually join the team sooner than the others.I definitely intend on having Kitty make note of the fact that there's not much students theere,but Xavier could make some mention of the fact that she's actually one of the first in a series of new attending students.Afterwards,I'd probably have Doug Ramsey(whose not much help in a fight),and one of the younger New Mutants show up.But I'll see how the story plays out first.

And I meant to include a scene introducing the Brotherhood before my last post.I'll do that later.:O

In case anyone wants a good argument to use against people who automatically and thoughtlessly shoot down the idea of using a more faithful superhero costume than filmmakers are likely to use, read this post.

It's more or less air-tight, except for the fact that value judgements on these kinds of things are completely subjective. However, If an anti-source material studio apologist states a value judgement as if it has concrete value, then my argument is completely air-tight.

I'm proud of it because it's probably the first time I put that concept together in cogent words that didn't go on for pages and pages of sprawling, tangential text. I guess the secret to relatively succinct and logical posts for me is to be pissed off and succumbing to the effects of Tylenol PM. Weird...

You succint??I think I hear the trumpet of Gabriel playing.:o

Abaddon said:
You succint??I think I hear the trumpet of Gabriel playing.:o
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :(

Nevermind. I asked my atheist friend who read parts of the Bible for the entertainment value, and he says that it's something to do with the End Times being nigh. :up:

Continued from Post #21 of this this thread and my team rosters and mini-bios from the original thread (X-Men and the Brotherhood)--

Here's the character origins/back-story that will be featured in the movie, whether through flashback scenes, verbal exposition or whatever else.

Professor X-
Looking back at it, Charles Xavier’s past experiences (as in prior to ‘Uncanny X-Men #1) add up to a feature film by themselves, and I’d love it if they made movie that was as faithful as possible to his life (barring a few chronological corrections) These are some of the scenes that belong in a Professor X movie, some of which are necessary in an X-Men movie. It depends on how much we want to fill in Xavier’s history and how much tragedy we want to cram into his life in the larger franchise. Let me know which ones you guys think should be in the X-Men movie, but also consider the option of Xavier having his own full-length movie (or maybe shared with Magneto, whatever works best) and how to present the content in that context. My comments denoting what I think is necessary or optional are regarding an X-Men movie, not a solo Xavier movie, because, again, all of this stuff belongs in an Xavier movie:

Charles has a rough childhood, as his father was killed in a nuclear explosion at a nuclear research center and his step-father, Kurt Marko, was a greedy, manipulative, abusive piece of $hit, who also had a piece of $hit son, Cain, who bullied Charles constantly. His mother became an alcoholic and then died and he was stuck with the Marko’s. These are optional scenes.

In his teen years, Charles is not only an excellent student, but he is the top basketball player at his school, possessing a major advantage—his mental powers. He quits sports because he deems the advantage “unfair,” but does not drop out of school. He doesn’t need his powers to ace his tests, as he’s a friggin’ genius and eventually learns to reign in his powers so stray thoughts don’t distract him or aid him in schoolwork. I deem these scenes necessary.

Charles attended Oxford on a scholarship (yeah, because he was hurting for tuition money, right?) where he met Moira Kinross with whom he fell in love and connected intellectually, discussing human mutations on a biological level (as opposed to a philosophical or purely evolutionary basis). I deem this a necessary scene.

Charles and Cain were drafted into a war (Vietnam is the appropriate choice for the timeframe, but the Temple of Cyttorak would have to be in Vietnam or a nearby land mass unless men were still being drafted and sent to Korea by the late 60’s/early 70’s). I’d love it if the Juggernaut could get a piece of the action in one movie in the X-Men series. If he can be put in, then I think that could work, since the last time there was a war draft was in the 70’s and Xavier could have been sent to Vietnam (instead of Korea) a age 20 or so and still be only somewhere in his 50’s or early 60’s by the time of the “present” storyline. I’d rather keep his physical age more or less accurate to his appearance, whereas Magneto simply has to be older than he looks, and his mutancy is all the pseudoscientific explanation needed for that. When you control one of the primarily elemental forces on the planet, you get to age slowly. That’s the deal. Anyway, I would unquestionably put an all-out Juggernaut fight with the X-Men in an Xavier-centered movie, but this is optional for a continuing X-Men central movie franchise.

Charles got dumped by Moira via the mail service, and she went back to her scumbag ex-boyfriend, Joe MacTaggert. It’s necessary that we know that they broke up, but it doesn’t have to be in a war flashback.

Cain deserted the battlefield (or tried) and Charles followed to convince him to go back and avoid a court-martial. They found themselves Cyttorak’s Temple, which collapsed after Cain callously read an inscription while holding the Gem of Cyttorak (yeah, that’s right, I’d rather throw in some mystical crap than change Cain into a mutant, because there are many different sources of power in the Marvel Universe, and that’s what the movies should represent when applicable). Charles escaped, Cain didn’t. We don’t need to see what happened to him under the rubble in that particular sequence, but we should see the Gem starting to glow bright red and Cain standing there, screaming in horror and pain as the whole place crashes down on him. That would be damn haunting, wouldn’t it?
Anyway, this is an optional scene, but maybe necessary if the Juggernaut is to be brought into a sequel skillfully. I don’t want the incident during the war to just pop up right before the Juggernaut shows up in a sequel when Xavier’s been reminiscing for one or two movies already. The scene could be used to help build the trend of Xavier’s loved ones and family (the two are not always the same in his case, obviously) abandoning him, by choice or by fate. The point I want to get across here is that Magneto had a really, really $hitty life, and he turned into a bitter, violent terrorist; Charles Xavier had a lot of bad $hit happen to him as well, and he still takes the “higher road.” It’s a hope theme, or whatever.

Charles wanders the globe, and we see him in Cairo, Egypt, where a very young Ororo Munroe pick-pocketed him. Whilst chasing her to retrieve his wallet, Charles met a local crime lord, Amahl Farouk, in a café. Farouk, a powerful psychic (better known to some fans as the Shadow King), challenged Xavier to a psychic battle, just to prove his superiority, and lost (…what are you dense? He’s the Goddamn Professor X!). This is the first evil mutant Xavier met, and it gets him thinking heroic thoughts. This scene is necessary, as it was Xavier’s primary inspiration to create the X-Men.

Charles travels to Israel at the request of a friend who works at a psychiatric clinic/hospice for severely traumatized victims of war. While staying there and using his gift of “psychological healing,” he meets and befriends Eric “Magnus” Lensherr. They connect on an intellectual level and have philosophical debates about evolution and sociology, specifically about existing racism and what would happen to civilization if humans evolved into more powerful beings. I’m not going to have the whole story with Baron von Strucker and Gabriel Haller, but perhaps an attack on the clinic could set Lensherr off and be the final straw that made him devote his life to defending his own people (whichever category is the most at risk at any given time, be it Jews in earlier years or mutants once that phenomenon is public knowledge) by any means necessary.
A scene containing some of this content is absolutely necessary for the story. Magneto didn’t help Charles build Cerebro or the school, but they were friends at one point and they share at least parts of the same ultimate goal.

I really don’t want to bring Lucifer into an X-Men movie, but I think it would unspeakably cool if Xavier got his own movie and this part of the story was told. Imagine Xavier coming across a town near the Himalayas and everyone there is possessed and acts like zombies. That could be extremely creepy, especially if the Shadow King’s scene was creepy earlier and this topped it. I don’t care how stupid Lucifer looked in the comics, he could be modified to look more menacing and a bit less human (but still with the red and purple color scheme… yeah, I know that looks a lot like Magneto, but that’s how Stan and Jack chose to do it, so just make it more of an armored exoskeleton and even darker than Magneto’s costume). After Xavier susses out the situation and finds that a malicious E.T. is controlling everyone with machines. He stands up to Lucifer and uses his power to break the mental control over the townspeople, lead them to turn on Lucifer and chase him back into his hidey-hole, but the bastard tricked Xavier and causes a cave-in (to make up for the pissed-off Cyttorak missing the mark a few years back…) that results in Xavier’s legs being crushed.

In an Xavier movie, the nasty business with the U.N. relief convoy workers and Tessa should probably be told, but not in an X-Men movie.

Same deal with the recovery period in India and Amelia Voght. Good for X’s movie, but not X-Men.

Xavier finished up his studies and earned several Ph.D.’s, including psychology and genetics. It is necessary to at least mention his credentials in a first X-Men movie.

Moira MacTaggert joins Charles in his genetic research on inborn human mutations. This is necessary to at least mention, as Xavier needed help with his dream, and Magneto never helped him with that; Moira did.

Shortly afterwards did the public learn about the existence of mutants, or, as the media labeled it, “the mutant menace.” Charles knew that it was time to act, for the FBI was already investigating several incidents regarding anti-mutant hysteria and panic. In a rather daring move did the professor infiltrate the FBI headquarters, using his telepathic powers to deal with anyone in his way. Once he met the agent in charge, Fred Duncan, Xavier further demonstrated his mental abilities and reasoned that the mutants being hunted down might cause them to band together and become the very menace they were feared to be. Having convinced Duncan of his dream of peaceful coexistence, Charles proposed an alliance. While the FBI would supply him with some info on potential mutants, Xavier would send him regular reports about the progress he made with his school. (From uncannymen.net)

The rest is stuff we’ll likely see in the X-Men movie itself.

To be continued...

By the way, for no good reason at all, I stayed up all night writing and editing this stuff, so gimme COMMENTS, God damn you!!

Herr Logan said:
This all sounds great except for one thing:
Robert Kelly isn't really a bigot. In the comics, he drew attention to the fact that mutants truly are a security risk (and come on, they totally are) and as a libertarian had qualms about the civil rights violations that would come with the Mutant Registration Act, but he had to put his preferences aside for the greater good. Bigots-- people who not only fear mutants but behave cruelly and irrationally towards them-- use him as a figurehead, basically. Kelly may have become more bigoted after his wife was killed during a mutant-on-mutant fight (the X-Men may have been involved). If you revealed at some point in the movie that Kelly lost a loved one because of one of the X-Men's battles, that would allow for a more bigoted Kelly, but he still should behave at least civilly toward mutant advocates while in public. I mean, making fun of Beast's feet and hands? That's more Graydon Creed's (the bastard child of two sociopathic murderers) style, while Kelly is supposed to be a semi-sympathetic character. He's sort of like the middle ground between zealots like Bolivar Trask and civil rights advocates like J. Jonah Jameson (who just dislikes the X-Men because they're vigilantes, but has no problem with mutants in general and would never support the MRA if there was a vote).
Just my thoughts on that. :o

The Beast should absolutely be the one to debate with Kelly, not Jean Grey, so good on you for recognizing that.
Having Henry Gyrich and Valerie Cooper is cool.
Referencing Magneto's initial high-profile terrorist attack on Cape Citadel is good, too. :up:

I like what you did with Professor X planting a fake memory in Carmen Pryde's (I really can't believe someone would name their son "Carmen," but that's his name) mind. He used to pull that kind of $hit all the time, so despite his more recent high-horse policy on brain tampering, there's plenty of precedent.
You should probably fit in a reference to the fact that Kitty's parents were Robert Kelly supporters (which was true in the comics when they didn't know she was a mutant). Even just a T-shirt or something would do.

Good stuff. Now give me more!

Herr Logan I swear when they first started on the X-Men movies they should have just hired you! You are an expert and if you had made the films we would have actually had REAL X-Men movies!

And yes Abaddon keep up the good work! I'm enjoying it!

AeonFlux said:
Herr Logan I swear when they first started on the X-Men movies they should have just hired you! You are an expert and if you had made the films we would have actually had REAL X-Men movies!

And yes Abaddon keep up the good work! I'm enjoying it!

Aww, shucks. :O

Thanks a bunch, Aeon. :up:

I watched X-Men 3 today, and I laughed all the way through it.

It's so sad how Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and Kelsey Grammar were wasted in this franchise. They were perfect for the roles they played. Beast was straight out of the comics page.

Does anyone here think Professor Charles Xavier (the one from the comics, not the de-clawed version in the movies) should get his own feature film?

Check out my last huge post and see how much dramatic history this guy has. I think it deserves to be shown in full, either over the course of several X-Men movies or in a TV series or in a solo film.
The X-Men would still be in it, though. It would be the original five members, and the main fight scene would be Juggernaut vs. the X-Men. Yeah, I'm talking about the real Juggernaut, not a cockney, dim-witted goon who has even dumber-looking helmet than the comics version. Cain Marko isn't a genius, but he's not stupid, either. The Juggernaut story would be spread out over the course of the movie, probably, switching back and forth between the past and the present. He's reminiscing to himself while getting ready for his step-brother to reach the Mansion (but he'll brief the X-Men on Cain, verbally or psychically).

By putting out a movie on Xavier's life and the first Juggernaut battle, that relieves the other X-Men films of the responsibility of giving more than just basic exposition for his character and history. It also allows for a Juggernaut fight without it coming off as a random sub-plot (because the real Juggernaut isn't a mutant, isn't very fond of mutants, and he never worked for Magneto, as far as I know, so he can't be in the Brotherhood of Mutants, period!). Furthermore, it gives the opportunity to show a proper Astral Plane psi-battle between Xavier and Amahl Farouk (aka Shadow King) and a decently developed section for his encounter with Lucifer, which I already said would be extremely creepy and awesome if done well.
If it was a full three hours (which it should), they could even show Xavier's first contact and psychological/psychic therapy sessions with young Jean Grey.
I realize how crazy the entire saga sounds (is student, athlete, and genius and goes on to fight in a war, watch his step-brother get buried in a cave with blatant mystical overtones, fights an evil mutant psychic on the Astral Plane, fights an alien invader in Asia who controls an entire village and is crippled for it, finds out his mutant friend has decided to become a terrorist demagogue and then his step-brother comes back with magical powers and a vendetta), but that's the point. Other than establishing that it's not just mutancy that provides conflict in the X-Men universe, this is supposed to highlight the difference between himself and Magneto; they both had some pretty terrible things done to them, but Xavier is the one who still sees the glass half-full. Granted, Xavier didn't lose his family to the Holocaust or a child to a vicious mob, but he did lose his parents because of someone's malicious intentions and he can't even walk now, for God's sake.

I think it'd a worthwhile venture, if there was to be a REAL X-Men movie series alongside it. Now tell me what's going on between your ears as you read this (other than "God, he's so wordy," and similar sentiments). Speak up!!

Speak up, peoples!

Jakomus said:
I watched X-Men 3 today, and I laughed all the way through it.

It's so sad how Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and Kelsey Grammar were wasted in this franchise. They were perfect for the roles they played. Beast was straight out of the comics page.

Well, Beast was mostly spot-on in personality in terms of when Beast from the comics is solemn, but he wasn't funny hardly at all, which automatically makes him a weaker version. His entire situation in life was altered, so that's probably the situation, but that's still no excuse. Comics Beast was light-hearted and joyful a lot of the time. Having him suggest out loud that the school should die with Xavier makes him definitively not the real Beast. Hank McCoy wouldn't send dozens of mutant children away just because the school's founder got killed by a former student. If it takes a token, throw-away appearance by Movie!Angel to change his mind (instantly and inexplicably, if I remember correctly), then it's not good writing, for the Beast or any other X-Man.

In my X-Men concept, the first movie stars the original team and the Beast (not furry yet) will be as he was in the comics-- funny, full of "$10 words," and very dynamic all the way through (as in he's usually moving or at least in interesting poses).

Xavier's exchanges with Logan were pretty messed up. "I don't need to explain myself; least of all to you." He may not have said that if Movie!Wolverine was the real Wolverine-- a loyal and dependable X-Man. I don't believe it when I see Movie!Wolverine cry over Xavier's death, either. I'd figure he was crying over Jean losing her innocence (as in legal innocence, since she just killed for the first time, presumably), but the writing was so bad, I won't make excuses for any of it.

Magneto was truly awesome, though. Except when Sexy Jean put those needles in front of him. Didn't those have metal in them? I thought the soldiers hadn't used the all-plastic ones until later. Anyway, if there was metal, then he should have done something about it.
I read the book and I heard plenty of spoilers, so I wasn't surprised during the movie, but I was surprised when I first heard that Magneto abandoned Mystique after she was "cured." What a scumbag! He didn't even give her his cape so she could cover up. That's not what the real Magneto is like, at least not to minions he truly cares about (as opposed to minions like the Toad). Still, the character Ian McKellan played was excellent unto himself.

Thank you for this thread. I have been looking for a safe "haven" for quite some time. for years the most dangerous (forum) thing you could do is to criticise the X-men. I was so attacked for pointing out the OBVIOUS flaws in the X-men movies that I finally decided not to bother anymore.
The truth is that Singer and co. have ruined the X-men franchise. The butchered it, changed it, disrespected it,..to no end.
yes I realize that they did relatively well in the BO. But I am SURE that if they had been handled more faithfully (a al SM) the x movies would have made twice as much. so I consider their results a failure.
It amazed me that we the fans (who are so picky ) have not only allowed these changes to take place,.they've supported it.
worst yet, they attack those of us who point out just had badly they butchered the original material. just how unfaithfull the x movies have been.
This is truly a case of X.I.N.O
Singer/Arad and fox have changed the stories-(that's not how Rogue and Wolverine met each other then the xmen)
changed each character- my God they destroyed Cyclops. Wolverine is not 6'2 and is NOT the lead role. Storm is WAY off, Magneto is a dottering old man, my God what they did to Jean and phoenix, Iceman, well all of them. Prof X is really the ONLY character they got right,.

there is no much that is not faithtfull that it would take too long for this post. besides this being the safe haven I'm sure everyone here already sees just how much they disregarded the source material.
what I find interesting though is that it seems that even some of us have been affected by the "X-men must be changed" bug. I have not read all the posts here, (I will), but looking at the pictures of examples of the costumes people are asking for HERE, I am getting the same basic approach that Singer took.
let's change it.
Why?
To me, the X-men should take the same approach Spider-man did.
do the costumes from the comics. As they appear. Yes make it look good, make it look real make it look cool, but make IT(like SM).
Give me either the original X-men costumes or the new (cockrum/Byrne)x-men costumes.
give me either the original origin or the new x-men origin (with off course minor alterations to make it fit within a 2 hour movie).
give me the x-men.

anyway it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

it's good to know there is a safe haven out there.

HoratioRome said:
Thank you for this thread. I have been looking for a safe "haven" for quite some time. for years the most dangerous (forum) thing you could do is to criticise the X-men. I was so attacked for pointing out the OBVIOUS flaws in the X-men movies that I finally decided not to bother anymore.
You're welcome. I also find it's best not to argue with those overeager sycophants who have little or no capacity for independent thought; not when you can come up with something better with others of like minds.

The truth is that Singer and co. have ruined the X-men franchise. The butchered it, changed it, disrespected it,..to no end.
yes I realize that they did relatively well in the BO. But I am SURE that if they had been handled more faithfully (a al SM) the x movies would have made twice as much. so I consider their results a failure.
It amazed me that we the fans (who are so picky ) have not only allowed these changes to take place,.they've supported it.
worst yet, they attack those of us who point out just had badly they butchered the original material. just how unfaithfull the x movies have been.
I agree with everything except saying that faithful movies would necessarily have doubled sales. I think they'd be about the same either way, but it could be more if better storytelling creating better reviews. Franchises like X-Men don't really need anything but the name and special effects-driven action to put asses in the seats and money in the register. However, that means that a faithful movie would make just as much, but it might be a much better product. That would mean something to not just the fans but a director (and any other filmmaker working on that project) who was truly a fan and wanted to create something remarkable. The main goal would be to create something that honored the source material, stood on its own as a well-made movie (maybe not Citizen Kaine, but I think it's possible to make the American Film Institution's Top 100 movies list if people want it badly enough), and made a lot of money.

I really don't think it would necessarily be that much harder or more expensive to make a more faithful movie. The question would be getting good enough writers to make a good script. For one thing, the source material provides script content by itself, and it would just need a team of people who could pick and choose aspects from continuity and fill in the gaps. Hell, it would be more fun than arduous if you got some real fans in there. Maybe even the original comic book writers could work closely with the project (like Frank Miller did with 'Sin City').

This is truly a case of X.I.N.O
Singer/Arad and fox have changed the stories-(that's not how Rogue and Wolverine met each other then the xmen)
changed each character- my God they destroyed Cyclops. Wolverine is not 6'2 and is NOT the lead role. Storm is WAY off, Magneto is a dottering old man, my God what they did to Jean and phoenix, Iceman, well all of them. Prof X is really the ONLY character they got right,.
No arguments here, except for possibly Magneto, maybe. I thought Magneto was done fairly well in the second and third movies, but I know I'd have casted a younger actor (not that Ian McKellan isn't amazing in his own right) and given him Magneto's red armor from the comics. Also, I'd have put him in a better story overall. Even McKellan's Magneto can't carry a $hitty movie to greatness by himself, or with help from a poorly written Xavier played by another formidable actor.

Extra emphasis on Wolverine not being 6'2"; if they can't cast a short actor-- or alter his appearance with special effects-- and put him in a relatively faithful costume and still make him impressive on-screen, then they have no business using the character in the first place. You either have the will and the means to do the job right, or you don't.

there is no much that is not faithtfull that it would take too long for this post.
Indeed. Probably best to move on to describing how you'd do it differently.

... besides this being the safe haven I'm sure everyone here already sees just how much they disregarded the source material.
what I find interesting though is that it seems that even some of us have been affected by the "X-men must be changed" bug. I have not read all the posts here, (I will), but looking at the pictures of examples of the costumes people are asking for HERE, I am getting the same basic approach that Singer took.
let's change it.
Why?
I'm in favor of darkening most of the bright colors in the X-Men's costumes somewhat and making a few specific changes (ex. Nightcrawler shouldn't have white on his uniform because he specifically is supposed to be able to blend into shadows; all the characters who wear "super-trunks" will actually be wearing custom-made rappelling harnesses built into a trunks-like, armored garment), but for the most part, I'm all for faithful costumes. The trick is to compromise enough to satisfy our own tastes, not the mythical "general audience's." The pro-studio conformists usually don't have a clue what a faithful costume would look like in live action, but a lot of pro-source material fans don't, either. I can imagine some things (ex. Wolverine in a darkened brown and orange costume, complete with mask) but not others, so I leave certain things open for the time being. But in any case, the method by which true fans should choose the costumes used in movies (hypothetically, of course) is to try to visualize what it would look like and find any explanation they can to justify using faithful, colorful costumes. It doesn't even have to be a very good explanation, because there's going to be a lot of things that require suspension of disbelief, and all that is truly needed is a nudge in that direction. People know they're going to see a superhero movie when they go to see 'X-Men,' so there's no point in pretending it's something it's not.

As for Abaddon foolishly and tastelessly choosing 'Ultimate X-Men' costumes for his hypothetical movie over the originals, I only put up with that because he's been contributing for most of the duration of the original Safe Haven's existence and he's the first and only person to contribute to my Spider-Man Save Haven. He gets a little leeway because of that. :o

To me, the X-men should take the same approach Spider-man did.
do the costumes from the comics. As they appear. Yes make it look good, make it look real make it look cool, but make IT(like SM).
Give me either the original X-men costumes or the new (cockrum/Byrne)x-men costumes.
give me either the original origin or the new x-men origin (with off course minor alterations to make it fit within a 2 hour movie).
give me the x-men.
What do either of those labels mean (ex. "new Cockrum/Byrne costumes" as opposed to "original X-Men costumes"; "original X-Men origin" as opposed to "new X-Men origin")? Is it a matter of which team members are featured in the movie?

I strongly believe that any worthy superhero franchise that has existed in comic book form for more than 40 years and has that many stories to tell should be given 3 hours for every movie. If everything in a single segment can be told in less, fine, but I want that much time for my concepts.

anyway it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

it's good to know there is a safe haven out there.

You really come off as a crazed zealot with too much passion for the source material and seem intolerant of any deviations...

...this is the perfect place for you!

Welcome to the Haven! ;) :up:

Try to keep in mind that not all compromises or modifications are necessarily heretical. At least not all of the ones proposed by true fans who don't instantly defend whatever crap the studios throw at them.

I'm willing to be flexible with the costumes choices.:o

After doing a partial background check on HoratioRome (stop rolling your eyes at me, Abaddon!), I found this thread. The thread specifically is about the Incredible Hulk, but the ground rules of the thread make for an interesting way to chisel a movie out of raw source material:

Hugebear said:
STICK TO THE COMICS AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE! After I read what Horatio had written, I began to think of an idea for a game. And I hope I'm not blasted for it, so please give this game a chance.
Anyways the point of the game is to see if all Hulk fans can agree to some changes.
Ok heres the idea, What if The Hulk movie hadn't been made yet, and the Director named Mr X came to the boards to ask or fan feedback. He explained that the movie would be an origin movie and that it would be base on the The Incredible Hulk #1 comic. Next I will post some rules for this game.
Hugebear said:
Rlue #1 Any Hulk fan can ask to add or change something in the (The Incredible Hulk #1) comic. As long as no other fan says No or I disagree, that suggestion will be kept in the movie version.

example
first poster: I don't like that Banner wears eyeglasses in the comic. So change that he does not wear eyeglasses in the movie.
secound poster: No. I like that he wears eyeglasses, keep eyeglasses.

So the movie Banner will keep the eyeglasses, because it is closer to the comics.
Thats it for eyeglasses, because one fan said no. All it takes is for one fan to say NO> No one can bring this change again.

Rule #2 No changing villains, because everybody has a favorite villain and I believe we won't agree on this.

Rule #3 If someone suggests a change that no one knows for sure and can't be proved by seeing the comic then we place a ? next to the change.

example
I want to change the Hulk's height to 10ft?
Nobody is sure what height the Hulk is in the comic. ?

Rule 4 The Director Mr X has final say if no two fans agree and neither is closer to the comic, or chooses to keep it like in the comic.

K The reason I didn't go for the Mayority Rules is because I wanted to make it equal for all. NO Mayority ganging on the minority Hulk fans.

The parts in bold are especially applicable. This could be an interesting exercise. I would insist that in a movie such as X-Men, the first movie would contain content from more than just the first issue. I would have at the very least 'Uncanny X-Men' #1 and #4, the former being the premiere issue that establishes the X-Men and Magneto, and the latter being the one that introduces the first Brotherhood of Mutants.

If anyone wants to try this, speak up (and speak up about that other thing I asked you to speak up about earlier while you're at it!!), but let's agree to properly mark each post (in the Title space) that is part of the exercise so we can easily distinguish those posts from other ideas people contribute.

To be honest some of the choices I settled for because I couldn't find any good pics of the costumes I wanted.(Mainly Colossus and Nightcrawler).:(

Abaddon said:
To be honest some of the choices I settled for because I couldn't find any good pics of the costumes I wanted.(Mainly Colossus and Nightcrawler).:(

Are you looking for their original costumes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"