The Winter Soldier "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyones taking this to seriously .. Kevin feige said that they have development ideas & stories for pretty much all characters they have access too and BW is just a possibility..

But I'd love a Black Widow & Hawkeye movie ... Maybe even throw the punisher in there :)

Natasha wanting to save Yelena while Yelena wants to surpass Natasha makes a good hook. Yelena and Natasha would have to fight each other at some point, but I don't want Yelena to be the villain of the story.

Alexi Shosatkov, the Red Guardian (though not called that, as the Cold War's over, grandpa) would be interesting as a the main antagonist. Maybe he and Natasha knew each other when she was working for whoever she first worked for. As superhero movies do a lot of "character mashing" maybe he will become the Crimson Dynamo in the climax.

Adding "superhero flair" to a Black Widow movie could be Russia trying to start their own Avengers, called Winter's Guard. A team in case a portal opens and an alien invasion happens in Moscow makes sense, with the fears of "Superheroes are created to fight World War III." This actually gives a moral weight to a "superhero spy-fi story."

There are a lot of Marvel Russian characters. Titanium Man, Darkstar, Vanguard, Starlight, Ursa Major, and Gremlin. As superhero movies rarely use codenames anyway, they would probably use their "real" names.

The whole "persons of mass destruction" angle makes sense to me. Darkstar and a Crimson Dynamo version of Red Guardian sounds really solid. Trying to control people-weapons which is exactly what Black Widow is all about. I don't think you should spend too much of budget on superheroes though. So that leaves out people like Ursa Major, which would require hulk-like CGI, I believe.

I think though, because we're talking about old military projects, code names for the project make abundant sense, and fans/media will naturally ascribe those names to the character. Also, Alexi Shostakov was Ronin at one time, something which does actually echo the idea that he is now a man without a country. You can do cold war tropes without having to rebuild the USSR exactly, it's an option.

Some of the PMDs are pretty cool as an antagonist squad for BWidow because they are female and there's that sense of 'she was the first, and because of her success they grabbed us young too' or worse, being old friends. Darkstar doing a Darkforce singularity thing could be awesome with Starlight being sealed off because of her nuclear fallout effect. The nuclear thing is another callback to Cold War tropes that you could actually play straight.

I was watching IM 2 with a friend the other day and he brought up an interesting point that I hadn't considered. Natasha is Russian and Vanko was also Russian. Despite this, the movie made no effort to try and tie the two together. or maybe just parallel them, either plot-wise or thematically. It seems like such an obvious thing to do, but they missed it.

^ I was thinking the same thing but I'm pretty sure they were actually connected in the comics.

Hey, wasn't there something related to possible Black Widow undies for women that were supposed to tie into TWS? What happened with that?

OMG i need this:

6y1awj.jpg

I was watching IM 2 with a friend the other day and he brought up an interesting point that I hadn't considered. Natasha is Russian and Vanko was also Russian. Despite this, the movie made no effort to try and tie the two together. or maybe just parallel them, either plot-wise or thematically. It seems like such an obvious thing to do, but they missed it.
I don't see why they would have. Not all Russians know each other.

I hate this thread sometimes :whatever:. I now want a Black Widow more than I want air.

Just wondering why isn't scarlett Johansson growing her hair longer for BW. Don't get me wrong, she looks absolutely hot now....but she would be even more hotter with longer hair :hubba

I don't see why they would have. Not all Russians know each other.
In comics books they seem to. Plus it would have given her something to do that was actually relevant to the plot, instead of just being an Avengers tease.

In comics books they seem to. Plus it would have given her something to do that was actually relevant to the plot, instead of just being an Avengers tease.

If you're referring to IM2, Natasha's presence was entirely relevant to the plot of the movie. She was assigned to infiltrate Stark Industries to keep tabs on Tony because a.) he had created a powerful weapons system; and b.) his behavior was erratic. She helped Fury corral Stark after his drunken confrontation with Rhodey and broke Vanko's control of the War Machine armor. There was no reason to tack on an unnecessary and frankly implausible subplot in which the twenty-something Natasha Romanoff somehow knew the fifty-something Ivan Vanko. It was Tony Stark's story, not Natasha's.

You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.

You could have cut her out of the movie entirely and the plot wouldn't have change much at all. Or it could have been some random SHIELD agent and the plot STILL wouldn't have changed. The point is, she had no real reason to be there. She didn't do anything to affect that plot AT ALL.

Other than saving the day in the end, since she was the one to free Rhodey of Vanko's control. :whatever:

Yeah....except she did have a reason to be there & it seems like you merely glanced over a post stating a multitude of reasons as to why she was relevant to the story beyond having her character set up for TA.

By that logic, you could replace Happy or Rhodey with random people and the plot wouldn't have changed much either. BW did play a vital role in helping IM and it was also a way for Marvel to introduce a character who was going to be appearing in their big team-up movie.

It's ironic that you always make such a point of railing about what you see as the lack of representation of female heroes in Marvel films, yet you take any and every chance you can create to denigrate the Black Widow. The fact is that she was integral to the plot of both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, and she contributed to the heroes' victory in both films. The Black Widow was in both films because she is an Avenger and a superheroine, not some random SHIELD agent. Had Natasha not hacked Vanko's computers and freed Rhodey either he or Tony would have died. In TA, she worked with Selvig to close the portal. In both cases, she accomplished tasks that were important to the resolution of the threats.

You may want to ignore all of that because it doesn't support your biased view of the Black Widow but facts are facts.

Other than saving the day in the end, since she was the one to free Rhodey of Vanko's control. :whatever:

Yeah....except she did have a reason to be there & it seems like you merely glanced over a post stating a multitude of reasons as to why she was relevant to the story beyond having her character set up for TA.

By that logic, you could replace Happy or Rhodey with random people and the plot wouldn't have changed much either. BW did play a vital role in helping IM and it was also a way for Marvel to introduce a character who was going to be appearing in their big team-up movie.

It's ironic that you always make such a point of railing about what you see as the lack of representation of female heroes in Marvel films, yet you take any and every chance you can create to denigrate the Black Widow. The fact is that she was integral to the plot of both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, and she contributed to the heroes' victory in both films. The Black Widow was in both films because she is an Avenger and a superheroine, not some random SHIELD agent. Had Natasha not hacked Vanko's computers and freed Rhodey either he or Tony would have died. In TA, she worked with Selvig to close the portal. In both cases, she accomplished tasks that were important to the resolution of the threats.

You may want to ignore all of that because it doesn't support your biased view of the Black Widow but facts are facts.

Sums it up about right.

I will never understand people who say BW's only there for T&A or window dressing. She's been vital to every appearance in a Marvel movie, doing things that moved the plot forward. She's no one's love interest, she's tough, she's kicks all the ass, and she does so with a ton of baggage from her past.

The movies and Scarlett have done a great job with fleshing her out so far, and it looks like CA:TWS will continue.

^ I agree, even though I thought Iron Man 2 was a weak film, she wasn't just window dressing and she did help the hero, but she made more of an impression in Avengers than in Iron Man 2.

I sort of liked BW appearance in IM2 because it was a nod to the early Jack Kirby Tales of Suspense comics where BW first appearance was as a villain to Iron Man. But if there is one film BW would be best in, it's this film, especially because of the Winter Soldiers appearance. I hope they didn't have have a love relationship, but maybe they worked with each other before, but I will be SLIGHTLY disappointed if there isn't a SLIGHT connection between those two characters.

Last edited:
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Basically, if you say "____ was pointless, the stuff they did could have been done by anyone!", what you are saying is that ____ *wasn't* pointless. Same with complaints about Thor and SHIELD: I've literally seen people say "SHIELD had no point in the movie, it could have been any random feds there!"

You know what I think is hilarious. Black Widow and Iron Man are the only ones who actually defeated the Chitauri. Widow cut off their advance all on her own, though it might have been pointless after Iron Man blew them up. Still, everyone else was just a distraction for the enemy army so they wouldn't kill people.

Well, if you want to look at it in that very narrow kind of way, then only Iron Man defeated the Chitauri.
His redirection of the missle took out the entire alien army. (and hey, it was SHIELD's missle, do they get credit?)
Black Widow just closed the door after it was over.

But really, they needed hawkeye's intel, cap's direction, Hulk's ass-kicking, and Thor single handedly stopping hundreds or thousands of more soldiers coming through
Point is, they all had their part to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"