Zack Snyder Directing Justice League - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really recommend you do. Its visually stunning, and the story is pretty interesting too!

A lot of my DCEU fan friends on Twitter have said the same. I promise I'll see it soon!

I found it on youtube but the audio quality isn't very great being as how it was ripped from another site.

“I thought Zack was a great choice [for Man of Steel], and I loved his Watchmen movie,” Aronofsky said on the Happy Sad Confused podcast in 2014. “I thought it was great. I thought that as a fan of the comic, you couldn’t hope for a better interpretation. I liked the orthodoxy of it.”

Now, fast forward to 2017 and a Man of Steel 2 script is in the works. During a recent interview with CinePop, Aronofsky was asked if he’d like to direct a superhero movie one day. He once again expressed his interest in Superman, though he seemed doubtful that he’d get the job any time soon.

“I mean, you know, Superman would always be interesting,” Aronofsky explained. “But they’re already deep into reinventing him, so that’s not going to happen for a long time.”

https://batman-news.com/2017/09/24/darren-aronofsky-man-of-steel-superman/

“I thought Zack was a great choice [for Man of Steel], and I loved his Watchmen movie,” Aronofsky said on the Happy Sad Confused podcast in 2014. “I thought it was great. I thought that as a fan of the comic, you couldn’t hope for a better interpretation. I liked the orthodoxy of it.”

Now, fast forward to 2017 and a Man of Steel 2 script is in the works. During a recent interview with CinePop, Aronofsky was asked if he’d like to direct a superhero movie one day. He once again expressed his interest in Superman, though he seemed doubtful that he’d get the job any time soon.

“I mean, you know, Superman would always be interesting,” Aronofsky explained. “But they’re already deep into reinventing him, so that’s not going to happen for a long time.”

https://batman-news.com/2017/09/24/darren-aronofsky-man-of-steel-superman/

Considering what he wanted to do to Batman, I'd say it's pretty clear that it's more important to Aranofsky that he get HIS vision of the character on screen, not the proper version that we all deserve. Its obvious that he didn't understand anything about Batman, and if he did, then he was essentially spitting in the faces of everyone that wanted the character we all know and love. I think he's a terrible fit because I HONESTLY feel like he'd do something JUST to be as out there and divisive as possible. Sure, Matt Reeves has said he wants to make his vision of Batman, but it won't differentiate from the source material to the point that it's unrecognizable like Aranofsky was going to do.

Darren could adapt his Batman script into a comic like what he did with The Fountain.

Darren could adapt his Batman script into a comic like what he did with The Fountain.

I'd be ok with that as some sort of weird ass Elseworlds, but I don't want his vision on film in any way, shape, or form. I don't even want it as one of DC's animated films. Someone is gonna see it and think that's a legit origin story, and that's unacceptable. I don't see that happening in book form which is why I'd be ok with that.

Considering what he wanted to do to Batman, I'd say it's pretty clear that it's more important to Aranofsky that he get HIS vision of the character on screen, not the proper version that we all deserve.
As if all great milestones of this character's history hasn't been stamped with the unique DNA of its creatives. "Source fidelity" isn't a science, every fan has different sensitivities. I would have loved to have seen Darren's take on the character (much like how I still love Batman Returns), most especially when he recently mentioned Joaquin was being eyed for Bruce. I honestly feel that performance would have been legendary if he had as long of a run as Bale did.

If they want to give Aronofsky something under the elseworld label we recently heard about, by all means.

But I’m not interested in him doing something within the main DC Movie timeline, and fortunately he probably isn’t either.

I think homeless Bruce Wayne with a mechanic Alfred is an interesting concept.

The Elseworld label really allows directors who want to work with these characters to do what they want without the hassle of “oh, ____ would never do that”

Zack would’ve been perfect for an elseworld movie. He could have machine gun toting Batman murdering to his heart’s content.

Zack would’ve been perfect for an elseworld movie. He could have machine gun toting Batman murdering to his heart’s content.

Zack didn't "want" Batman to a "gun-toting" "murderer." If he had, he wouldn't have crafted an arc for him that painted such brutality as the cruelty of a man in crisis. Snyder's Batman was not presented as an ideal of any sort. BvS's Batman is an antagonist who must be redeemed -- a morally bankrupt man upon whose redemption the triumph of the hero rests.

As if all great milestones of this character's history hasn't been stamped with the unique DNA of its creatives. "Source fidelity" isn't a science, every fan has different sensitivities. I would have loved to have seen Darren's take on the character (much like how I still love Batman Returns), most especially when he recently mentioned Joaquin was being eyed for Bruce. I honestly feel that performance would have been legendary if he had as long off a run as Bale did.

Aranofsky's version wouldn't simply have been putting his "stamp" on the character. It fundamentally changed so much that it was unrecognizable. I'm generally all for people putting their own spin on things, but maybe I'm just too attached to Batman. IDK...

The Elseworld label really allows directors who want to work with these characters to do what they want without the hassle of “oh, ____ would never do that”

Like I said...I could totally accept the homeless mechanic schtick as long as it was an Elseworlds, but I'd be afraid someone who didn't know any better would see it and think that's what the character is truly about.

Zack didn't "want" Batman to a "gun-toting" "murderer." If he had, he wouldn't have crafted an arc for him that painted such brutality as the cruelty of a man in crisis. Snyder's Batman was not presented as an ideal of any sort. BvS's Batman is an antagonist who must be redeemed -- a morally bankrupt man upon whose redemption the triumph of the hero rests.

Maybe so...but Snyder took it pretty damn far. It wasn't even Bale's whole "if I inadvertently cause your death, I'm ok with that." He straight up caused a guy to explode. :funny:

Aranofsky's version wouldn't simply have been putting his "stamp" on the character. It fundamentally changed so much that it was unrecognizable. I'm generally all for people putting their own spin on things, but maybe I'm just too attached to Batman. IDK...
Nothing to do with how much of a fan you are, again people just have different sensitivities to what deviations they can support. You'll have fans who can live with a gun-toting Batman. And for someone like Darren, can live without the mansion and British butler. Depending on who you are, one or all of those things are "crucial" to the spirit of the lore.

For me, Batman's too ubiquitous of a character to be constrained for long. One of the most revered Batman books of all time (in TDKR) is in itself an Elseworlds title. Yet 30-40 years on, its effect on the property is ever lingering. That's the power of artistic license and skillsets overcoming the established norm.

Not everything can be TDKR, nor is it likely, but I admire directions which aspire to be so.

Regardless, I don't think the existing draft which is out there would've made it to the final cut had it been put to film. I saw it more as a proof of concept which would have likely been tinkered continuously (closer to the books) once it was actually greenlit.

Maybe so...but Snyder took it pretty damn far. It wasn't even Bale's whole "if I inadvertently cause your death, I'm ok with that." He straight up caused a guy to explode. :funny:

So did Burton, in both Batman films.

Nothing to do with how much of a fan you are, again people just have different sensitivities to what deviations they can support. You'll have fans who can live with a gun-toting Batman. And for someone like Darren, can live without the mansion and British butler. Depending on who you are, one or all of those things are "crucial" to the spirit of the lore.

For me, Batman's too ubiquitous of a character to be constrained for long. One of the most revered Batman books of all time (in TDKR) is in itself an Elseworlds title. Yet 30-40 years on, its effect on the property is ever lingering. That's the power of artistic license and skillsets overcoming the established norm.

Not everything can be TDKR, nor is it likely, but I admire directions which aspire to be so.

Regardless, I don't think the existing draft which is out there would've made it to the final cut had it been put to film. I saw it more as a proof of concept which would have likely been tinkered continuously (closer to the books) once it was actually greenlit.

At the end of the day, you're right, obviously. TDKR is ALWAYS a great example of this concept working, but that sort of lightning in a bottle is rarely going to strike twice.

Agreed.

Affleck's Batman, in BvS is a broken Batman, one who will gradually return to his 'accepted'' Batman version, his story gives him a character arc, which progresses through a span of multiple films.

DCEU movies need to be viewed as a whole, and not as stand-alone comic book movies, as the character is supposed to undergo a journey of self discovery, through a span of 3 to 4 films.

So did Burton, in both Batman films.

I don't mind honestly. The collateral damage to me was to be expected. I remember the one in Returns, but I'm having a hard time remembering anything specific in '89 unless you mean when he took out Ace Chemicals.

Agreed.

Affleck's Batman, in BvS is a broken Batman, one who will gradually return to his 'accepted'' Batman version, his story gives him a character arc, which progresses through a span of multiple films.

DCEU movies need to be viewed as a whole, and not as stand-alone comic book movies, as the character is supposed to undergo a journey of self discovery, through a span of 3 to 4 films.

I'm game with most of that, but for some reason I have a hard time getting behind the torture. The branding just seemed like a bit much... almost like a gimmick. It's funny. I'm totally ok with him bashing these cats brains in, and I'm even ok with him turning the merc at the end into an overcooked slab of bacon, but the bat branding? That's where I draw the line goddammit!!!!! :funny: :p

I don't mind honestly. The collateral damage to me was to be expected. I remember the one in Returns, but I'm having a hard time remembering anything specific in '89 unless you mean when he took out Ace Chemicals.

Yeah, he bombed the whole ACE chemical factory, I think many of Joker's goons were still in in it. And, Batman was firing rockets at Joker from his Bat-wing, the reason why he missed him was left ambiguous by Burton.

I'm game with most of that, but for some reason I have a hard time getting behind the torture. The branding just seemed like a bit much... almost like a gimmick. It's funny. I'm totally ok with him bashing these cats brains in, and I'm even ok with him turning the merc at the end into an overcooked slab of bacon, but the bat branding? That's where I draw the line goddammit!!!!! :funny: :p

I'm not a fan of Bat-branding, tbh.. but I can live with it, as this Batman was slowly descending into Punisher like character.

It looked odd and funny, now that I think about it, I will give you that. :oldrazz:

so did everyone in the movie so you are not alone.

Yeah, he bombed the whole ACE chemical factory, I think many of Joker's goons were still in in it. And, Batman was firing rockets at Joker from his Bat-wing, the reason why he missed him was left ambiguous by Burton.

I'm not a fan of Bat-branding, tbh.. but I can live with it, as this Batman was slowly descending into Punisher like character.

It looked odd and funny, now that I think about it, I will give you that. :oldrazz:

Yeah...the brass knuckle/bat brand was down right HUGE. HAHA! That thing had to be a solid 6 inches wide. : funny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"