86th Annual Academy Awards (2014) - Part 2

I always thought that Blanchett should've won a Best Actress Oscar for her movie Elizabeth instead of losing to Helen Hunt that year. The Academy totally screwed it up.

Cate was spotted at a Tattoo shop with Amy Adams.

Wow that's some pretty awesome Simpsons art right there, I really loved the fun vibe of the Oscars this year.

1393954496_amy-poehler-zoom.jpg

I recommend you also watch the film Glory as well.

I've seen it, excellent film, I think the only time Denzel and Morgan Freeman have acted together.

Of course, it took another 100 years for African Americans to have equal rights as White Americans, thanks to men like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who was basically to African Americans what Nelson Mandela was to Black South Africans (in fact, Mandela has always admired King). I'm sure you know who Dr. King is (or at least have heard of him), I'm just making the comparison for our other Foreign posters.

Oh yes I know about Dr. King, I wasn't aware that Mandela had spoken of him though, I certainly can see the comparisons to a degree.

Make no mistake, the North was absolutely caught up in the slave trade system. Outlawing slavery didn't stop the industries in the north, mills and such from being entirely dependent upon the cheap materials harvested by slave labor in the South.

So basically sneakily outsourcing their use of slavery to circumvent the law?

Oh yes I know about Dr. King, I wasn't aware that Mandela had spoken of him though, I certainly can see the comparisons to a degree.

Mandela mentioned Dr. King during his Nobel Peace Prize Speech in 1993. Likewise, Dr. King mentioned Mandela when he received the same prize in 1964. This is a photo of Mandela meeting Dr. King's family, probably taken after his release in 1990:

nelson-mandela-25-e1372027079259.jpg

So yeah, Mandela had strong admiration for MLK. The feeling was mutual on the other side as well. His family was involved in protests to boycott South Africa and free Mandela.

Love the Simpsons pic, but what would Homer be doing at the Oscars??

So basically sneakily outsourcing their use of slavery to circumvent the law?

Not sure if you've seen Lincoln, but many of the most vociferous DEMOCRATS who were the antagonists in the film did so because of those very economic interests. The young, good-looking and eloquent Democrat in the film was Fernando Wood, who represented a constituency in New York, I believe.

Which begs the question why a Democrat from New York would support slavery. It was because he was also a relatively wealthy businessman, involved in shipping, particularly shipping to and from the southern cotton producers.

Ron Swanson and Bill Murray in the same picture.

85470-mind-blown-WOAH-gif-The-Matrix-kaJw.gif

Pretty sure Bill Hader, Andy Samberg and Paul Rudd aren't cast members either...

Samberg made a guest appearance, Rudd appeared all throughout one of the seasons.

Rudd ran against Leslie Knope for City Council. Bobby Newport I believe was his name.

Andrew Garfield "Refused" to Present With Batkid at Oscars: Report

Well, this doesn't sound very heroic. According to a new report from The New York Post's Page Six, Andrew Garfield was supposed to present at the Oscars with Miles Scott -- a.k.a. Batkid, the 5-year-old boy with cancer who played superhero in San Francisco -- but "refused" to go on when he didn't like his lines.

"The Academy was going to make [Miles] an official superhero during the Oscar ceremony," a source told Page Six, noting that it had been coordinated with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which also helped facilitate the little boy's dreams of being Batman. "Andrew Garfield was going to appoint him 'Batkid,'" the insider continued. "But, in the middle of the dress rehearsal, Garfield decided he didn't like his lines."

The source went on to say that the Spider-Man star "refused to go by the script" and instead came up with his own lines, which producers didn't go for. "Garfield had a tantrum. He stormed off," the source said, adding that Miles and his family "were devastated."

Ultimately, the bit was cut completely. Producers reportedly paid for Miles to go to Disneyland instead, and brought in Captain America star Chris Evans to present in Garfield's place.

"He got the call pretty much the day of that he'd have to go on," a source told Us Weekly of Evans. "Chris hadn't been planning on even going to the Oscars."

A rep for Garfield did not respond to Page Six's request for comment.

http://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/andrew-garfield-refused-present-batkid-oscars-report-141500732-us-weekly.html

I read a different report today stating that overall the bit just didn't work out overall, it didn't mention anything about Garfield having a tantrum or "storming off".

From E! Online

Andrew Garfield was a M.I.A. at Sunday's Oscars, despite being previously announced as a presenter.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 star rehearsed a segment with "Batkid" Miles Scott on Saturday, March 1. Miles, who "saved" San Francisco from several villains during a Make-a-Wish event in 2013, was scheduled to join the 30-year-old movie star on stage during one of three planned heroes segments.
An Academy spokesperson attributes Garfield's absence to production problems.
"Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments due to the logistics of production," the spokesperson tells E! News in a statement. "Andrew Garfield understood that his segment had to be omitted, and he drove to Disneyland on Monday to spend time with 5-year-old Miles Scott (Batkid) and his family."
VIDEO: Who was the best dressed star at the Oscars?
Miles' family traveled to L.A. for the Academy Awards; they were informed of the change Sunday.
"I don't know if they ran out of time, or if there was something about the segment they didn't like," Natalie Scott, Miles' mother, told The International Business Times. "It got pulled so quickly that we didn't have a lot of insight into what was going on." She added, "It is kind of a disappointment, but things happen. I know that's how TV goes and how Hollywood is. We're just not used to that."
VIDEO: Watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer
The show included montages of heroes from animated, documentary and feature films. Jim Carrey and Sally Field introduced the segments. It was Captain America who saved the day, as Chris Evans agreed to fill in for Garfield.
Calls to Garfield's rep went unreturned.
PHOTOS: Vanity Fair Oscar party portraits

Last edited:

A lot of that story sounds fishy to me, and not just because it's from the New York Post. It seems strange that they would have cancelled Batkid's appearance on the show entirely just because Garfield allegedly backed out; there were at least four other actors in the room who they could have asked to step up to take his place.

Pretty cold by Garfield. But then, we don't know the lines he was given. The producers should have just let him do the lines he thought of.

Evans didn't look like he wanted to be there and to be honest the Oscar show runners were making a big deal out of this part of the show beforehand so I doubt they would just scrap it for no reason at the last minute.

It's possible Garfield stormed off. That would be an A class jerk move though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"