86th Annual Academy Awards (2014) - Part 2

Wait, Schindler's List is a lesser Holocaust movie? Please tell me you don't think The Pianist or Life is Beautiful are better?

As for 12 Years a Slave, it is a magnificent achievement, because it does not pander to either white guilt or try to comfort audiences. It is methodical in its mechanical screech to the sound of slavery, and uncomfortably honest about human suffering. It tracks how leviathan the institution is, but it never sentimentalizes the plight, instead taking a step back and forcing us to breathe in the wickedness.

I don't know. I think it is the best movie of the year.
I think you won't be able to comprehend what I am saying unless you have seen Shoah. Watch it and then it might make you see how mundane Schindler's List actually is, even though it is artfully made.

Life Is Beautiful is alright but I think Pianist is as well made a movie as Schindler's List. It is very brilliantly directed by Polanski.

But again neither is a smidgeon compared to Shoah which stands as a monument as to what cinema can achieve.

So yeah, I do think Schindler's List is a lesser Holocaust movie.

Isn't Shoah a documentary or am I thinking of something else? Because if it is, I think it's somewhat unreasonable to compare a dramatized work to it.

It looks like Lupita's next role after her Oscar is a big one if she officially signs on.

It looks like Lupita's next role after her Oscar is a big one if she officially signs on.

Lol, I guess we can't use the old joke that she's going to be in a film from an "independent studio" anymore.

Isn't Shoah a documentary or am I thinking of something else? Because if it is, I think it's somewhat unreasonable to compare a dramatized work to it.
It is which completely puzzles me as to why slumcat is even comparing a documentary to the dramatized pieces mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"