90th Annual Academy Awards - Part 2

DXf1lqmV4AA3qL7.jpg

It's not cynical at all at least from what we're presented. It's a reach

Movies get released in January at like Sundance and people already predict that it'll be a BP winner or nominee.

Yeah, if anything I think it was a joke/commentary on how there's all this build-up for one night, then it's over and the industry goes right to speculating about next year and the game begins anew. Pretty harmless observation. We all know there's some truth to the Oscars being political...not in the sense of "politics" but in the sense of playing the game.

Hence Harvey Weinstein.

I think part of the reason the ratings were low this year because the acting races weren't exciting at all.

But they also need to shorten the ceremony by about an hour. Get rid of the unnecessarily long comedy bits like celebrities going to a movie theater and take out the awards that don't need to be televised and present them in an earlier ceremony (sound mixing/editing, documentary, short films, etc.).

I’m starting to wonder in this age of youtubers with their more personal interactions with fans whether actors are seen in the same light they once were, hence the rating slide. It going to be interesting to see whether the Academy tries to rectify this in the coming years. The easiest solution is to nominate more mainstream films but I don’t know anymore if that’s the only factor.

Get rid of all the musical numbers. 4hrs to present 24 awards is ridiculous.

I didn’t watch this year, but I did last year, and I think two things they can do to improve and get better ratings are: find better hosts and shorten the event. I know those people work really, really hard, but at the end of the day, no one cares about the Best Sound Mixing Award. Move on.

See, I care more about watching the Best Sound Mixing category than I do watching the host grab a bunch of celebrities and then spend twenty minutes walking to a movie theater to throw hotdogs at "unsuspecting" theater-goers. It's stupid, and I can't imagine most were entertained by it. I suspect most people felt the same way I did. "It's running late and I have work in the morning."

Call me a Scrooge, I don't care. I'm watching the awards show for the awards. I want to watch a celebration of the year's best work in film. I have little desire to watch celebrities mingle with the peasants in a transparent attempt to show how accessible and down-to-earth they are. "You movie fans are the real heroes!" Yuck. I'd rather they cut that crap out and actually give Roger Deakins more than 30 seconds to accept a trophy that took him 14 nominations to receive.

Last edited:
See, I care more about watching the Best Sound Mixing category than I do watching the host grab a bunch of celebrities and then spend twenty minutes walking to a movie theater to throw hotdogs at "unsuspecting" theater-goers.

Call me a Scrooge, I don't care. I'm watching the awards show for the awards. I want to watch a celebration of the year's work in film. I have little desire to watch celebrities mingle with the peasants in hopes of proving how accessible and down-to-earth they are. "You movie fans are the real heroes!" Yuck.

Haha, I didn't think of it that way but I definitely see your point on that. To be fair, I would be pumped if Mark Hamill ever happened to walk in while I was in a movie theater to serve me hot dogs.

I feel like the Oscars can't win in a way. They are, by definition, the industry's view of itself. Which would be totally normal and not feel so self-important if it weren't televised and made into a big spectacle. But...it's a 90 year tradition because people do like the movies and are interested in movie stars. So it's just kinda here. Every year I find we rinse and repeat the same arguments about their merit or lack thereof.

But yeah, I'm with you...for more than anything else, I watch precisely for awards like Sound Mixing, Editing, VFX etc. As someone who's always been interested in filmmaking, it's nice to see those people get their due on a big platform.

Last edited:
See, I care more about watching the Best Sound Mixing category than I do watching the host grab a bunch of celebrities and then spend twenty minutes walking to a movie theater to throw hotdogs at "unsuspecting" theater-goers. It's stupid, and I can't imagine most were entertained by it. I suspect most people felt the same way I did. "It's running late and I have work in the morning."

Call me a Scrooge, I don't care. I'm watching the awards show for the awards. I want to watch a celebration of the year's best work in film. I have little desire to watch celebrities mingle with the peasants in a transparent attempt to show how accessible and down-to-earth they are. "You movie fans are the real heroes!" Yuck. I'd rather they cut that crap out and actually give Roger Deakins more than 30 seconds to accept a trophy that took him 14 nominations to receive.

There’s that too. It ties in somewhat with finding better hosts, because I believe the hosts are allowed to hire writers and craft jokes and skits that they believe will entertain the audience. I don’t mind musical numbers and skits if they’re funny and don’t pull too much focus. You’re right, though; that hot dog thing sounds stupid as hell, and I’d be pissed to have to sit through that on a Sunday night.

Frankly, the Tony’s do it better.

Get rid of all the musical numbers. 4hrs to present 24 awards is ridiculous.

That is absolutely the last thing they should do. The Best Song performances are one of the few consistently crowd-pleasing aspects.

I feel like I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the show being long?

Gotta get dat ad revenue.

If there ratings keep dropping %20 there wont be an ad revenue. Remember when a blockbuster like titanic could actually win best picture or forrest gump that was a huge hit finacially, critically and by the populace? Yeah me ethier.

Well those movies were crafted by James Cameron and Robert Zemeckis, two of the finest directors ever, imo. Today's blockbusters are MCU films :o

If there ratings keep dropping %20 there wont be an ad revenue. Remember when a blockbuster like titanic could actually win best picture or forrest gump that was a huge hit finacially, critically and by the populace? Yeah me ethier.

I remember. Because it was rare even then. You can count em by your hand.

Well those movies were crafted by James Cameron and Robert Zemeckis, two of the finest directors ever, imo. Today's blockbusters are MCU films :o

Yeah. Let's just ignore Quaron and Nolan. Inception, Dunkirk, and Gravity don't existo.

I feel like I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the show being long?

I'm fine with it too. I know a lot hate it but I love the montages. I love naming which movies those clips came from. :funny:

Does anyone remember those few times where they did the awarding of the acting categories differently? Instead of a presenter or two, they had 5 previous winners of that category come out and address each of the nominees. It's patronizing and takes up time but I like that style every now and then because you get to see more of the previous winners. I wish they'd do that as well for directors.

That says a bit more about the quality of what becomes successful than the Oscars being too narrow.

Movies for adults get a lot less play in theaters these days. Thise kinds of stories atr much more the perview of TV. In these thru get super limited releases.

The Grammys and even the Superbowl saw massive ratings drops. Doesn't really have much to do with the Oscars themselves. All TV gets a smaller part of the purchase when there are hundreds of channels. They need to consider more online options. It is silly that you can get it over the air with an antennae but then you need a cable provider to watch online. Have a legal stream it an app online and you can play the ads there.

Funny to see some people elsewhere are blaming diversity for the lack of ratings. Even though Get Out, Wonder Woman, and BP blazed bright at the box office. They don't have the capacity to understand that tv ratings itself is on a downward trend. Not that diversity is causing it.

I don't mind the length of the show, and I like the song performances. I think they need to cut out the extended comedy bits. The theater thing this year and the tour last year were super cringey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"