90th Annual Academy Awards - Part 2

The Oscars have leaned this way, yes. But, I don't want such an award. Making a separate category is to call it a lesser art form. I already hate animation has its own category (I will fight anyone who says Wall E was not better than the majority of nominees that year) and this would further basically say a film like Logan cannot be considered real art.

I hate this idea.
Agreed again

BP will be nominated next year for this reason.

And before the MCU defense league comes out, I'm not saying it as a slight against BP as I really enjoyed it.

But yeah I think they will nominate BP as an attempt to get more viewers. It being such a gargantuan movie with a huge socio political statement, it'll get a nod. A nod that I don't think it really deserves imo

Agreed

And see as a logan fan that would tick me off royally, imho logan is a much better well crafted film with even better acting and plays to both
Comicbook and non comicbook fans. That was anhuge success and came out early marchnwhich is another pet peeve of mine. What is the voting timeframe for movies with the oscars.

I was really happy with this years Oscars. I thought Kimmel did a fine job and every award was more than deserved. This year was definitely stuffed with terrific nominees, but the winners were the clear winners in every category.

Logan is overrated. That said ive never understood how a film like The Blind Side can be considered Oscar worthy and films like TDK couldn’t.

I think part of the reason the ratings were low this year because the acting races weren't exciting at all.

But they also need to shorten the ceremony by about an hour. Get rid of the unnecessarily long comedy bits like celebrities going to a movie theater and take out the awards that don't need to be televised and present them in an earlier ceremony (sound mixing/editing, documentary, short films, etc.).

Just make Ricky Gervais the permanent host.

Heck, I'd watch at least.

I remember whenever Gervais hosted Globes people weren't tuning in for the movies or the stars but for HIM :funny: He was on the screen for maybe 20 minutes last time he hosted but that moment with him and Gibson on stage and "we all know who Mel blames" comment made the whole ceremony worth seeing

I remember whenever Gervais hosted Globes people weren't tuning in for the movies or the stars but for HIM :funny: He was on the screen for maybe 20 minutes last time he hosted but that moment with him and Gibson on stage and "we all know who Mel blames" comment made the whole ceremony worth seeing

Yup! And that's the kind of off-the-cuff stuff, that, well, I personally would want in a host. Not to say that the host has to just have blue humor. Billy Crystal was a good host in past years. And Seth MacFarlane may be a bit classier than Gervais, but he'll go for the jokes that'll rub folks the wrong way, like the Chris Brown/Rihanna date night movie joke- that only Robert Downey Jr. applauded.

[YT]bTlhopez7EQ[/YT]

Logan is overrated. That said ive never understood how a film like The Blind Side can be considered Oscar worthy and films like TDK couldn’t.

It used to be that the tastes in what films the MPAA nominated, and the tastes of the general audience, were more in line. Like movies that were at or near the top of the box office charts had better chances of being nominated.

But at some point, and I'm not sure exactly when it was, those two things diverged widely. And now, it's kind of rare to have a nominee that a big chunk of the general audience has seen or even heard of.

Also part of the reason why the Best Picture list was increased to 10 for awhile was precisely because of films like TDK and Wall-E getting left out despite their acclaim. But that didn't end up changing much in the end unfortunately.

Seth was a horrible host, Chris Rock imho was awful. At least with Gervais every joke landed and if it didn't it's because people were mortified which was hilarious to watch.

Kimmel did well last year but clearly they need to shake things up and Gervais would slay, some of his jokes from Globes, like the relentless The Tourist abuse and Gibson stuff are legendary. I don't even remember who won but I still remember the jokes :funny:

They did a side view of Lupita, yo, she thick. I'm pleasantly surprised. I always saw her as an athletic type, but she carrying that aunt jemima goodness man. Hot damn.

Lupita es la dueña...

All this talk about how the movies have begun to diverge into populist and not-so...

Well, I remember the jokes back in the 80s about Finney and Courtenay being both nominated by THE DRESSER, the typical fancy-totsy movie nobody ever saw.

The split is quite old and it comes and goes.

Unless you're joking, it doesn't seem cynical to me

Straight up asking a journalist what's gonna win next year reeks of dismissal and cynicism. Because this is February and most of the films have yet to come. Nolan not so subtly hints that the academy is voting on agenda and not quality.

I really dislike all those gimmicky stunts of going to another theater or bringing people in from a tour. I think the host should be create humor around the event directly, the movies and creatives involved and the general movie situation of the year.

These guys pretend they don't care but that's the vibe they have to give off.

Even for us fans, it's cooler to think that our faves don't care but the reality is they do. Or at the very least, they don't realize they care and want one up until they had one or was really close to getting one.

Maybe, but it's still clearly a better movie than Darkest Hour. (Then again so is I, Tonya). I would also say it is a much better made movie than Black Panther, although for the social and cultural reasons, I can see why Black Panther is a more important film. Although, it would be odd if that is the one to "break the ceiling" for the genre when TDKT and Logan could not.

What they need to do is just bring in someone to insult everyone there. Or at worst, not take it so seriously. In a perfect world, we'd get every award show like Gervais hosting. The Oscars and these awards shows are just so cynical where the importance of them is just constructed to be when they're ****ing trophies. It doesn't mean anything besides what we make it out to be.

Call me naive, but I thought people made movies to tell stories, not act like the Oscars are the end all be all for their stories. I get the fun of them, but people take them way too seriously. It's a place where all these people just pat themselves on the back and they get on their soapbox. Some are more genuine than others, but actors? Oh, God. They act like they're the center of the universe. Most of these people are insane and disconnected and they go back to their mansions in their limos and move on with their daily scheduled lives. It's easy to say these things, but actually act on them? If someone can tell me if one of these people who have, then that would be great, because I can't think of any. It's not just about wearing black to show support. If these people are so powerful and influential, do something with that. They could create a lot of great change if they wanted to. But most people are complacent and when you add celebrity to it, it's worse. When you add something so insignificant as an award show to it, it becomes perverse.

I sometimes don't blame for Trump supporters for being angry with the "Hollywood elite." Because it's true in cases. They truly are disconnected in their own way like a type of conservative can be. It just so happens they spout progressive ideas so it gives them a pass, but it's just as bad. I'd really like to hear a nuanced political argument from these people.

Maybe, but it's still clearly a better movie than Darkest Hour. (Then again so is I, Tonya). I would also say it is a much better made movie than Black Panther, although for the social and cultural reasons, I can see why Black Panther is a more important film. Although, it would be odd if that is the one to "break the ceiling" for the genre when TDKT and Logan could not.

I could see it exactly for what you said: the cultural impact it has had/may have.

I really dislike all those gimmicky stunts of going to another theater or bringing people in from a tour. I think the host should be create humor around the event directly, the movies and creatives involved and the general movie situation of the year.

I detested that particular stunt because it was so obviously a shameful attempt by Disney/ABC to market A Wrinkle in Time by bringing a bunch of Hollywood A-listers to a screening and getting some star struck "every people" to gush about AWIT on camera.

I detested that particular stunt because it was so obviously a shameful attempt by Disney/ABC to market A Wrinkle in Time by bringing a bunch of Hollywood A-listers to a screening and getting some star struck "every people" to gush about AWIT on camera.
It is the sort of thing that ends up having the opposite effect of what is likely meant. Instead of easing the divide between the stars and public, it seems makes it all seem condescending.

Hammill all star-struck with Gadot made my night, though.

I think what I best remember fondly about past hosts was Billy Crystal improvising Jack Palance jokes after the one-armed pushups bit.

I don't find Nolan's comment to be cynical at all. Some acting performances seem to be a lock very early on now. I still remember everyone knowing Hathaway was going to win even before her film was released.

Straight up asking a journalist what's gonna win next year reeks of dismissal and cynicism. Because this is February and most of the films have yet to come. Nolan not so subtly hints that the academy is voting on agenda and not quality.

Sure

I don't find Nolan's comment to be cynical at all. Some acting performances seem to be a lock very early on now. I still remember everyone knowing Hathaway was going to win even before her film was released.

It's not cynical at all at least from what we're presented. It's a reach

Movies get released in January at like Sundance and people already predict that it'll be a BP winner or nominee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"