90th Annual Academy Awards - Part 2

Everything with Michael Shannon's character along with the running themes of advertising are a giant commentary about how our idea of a nostalgic 50s/60s America is a fantasy construction that has been sold to us and behind it is a rotten core.

That movie has plenty on its mind.

I definitely saw the connection of Giles representing Del Toro's love of Struzan, and marketing just goes for a photo.

KEq9b7f.gif

Dee Rees

Yes, I know it was only a walmart commercial, but she would absolutely kill it at directing a Star Wars movie. What a talent.

Basically, with the Shape of Water it is a film built on a love story, while endearing, isn't much else. Michael Shannon's character doesn't even feel like a deconstruction to me, because he is not atypical. He is what I expect from a government from the time period. Debunking the 50s and 60s is pretty well worn territory at this point and I have seen it done better.

With stuff like Pan's, Pacific Rim, Backbone and both Hellboys (especially 2) is these are films where I feel like they are just kinetic and draw me a lot more.

There is nothing wrong with the Shape of Water. Again, I quite like them. But for me the hook of getting it on with a beast is something I have seen done much better, and Shannon's Gaston didn't really do it for me beyond that.

Last year I was spoiled. I got 2049, Lady Bird, Baby Driver, War, Logan, Coco, John Wick 2, and Dunkirk. Movies that move right on to my all time list. The Shape of Water probably would of had a bigger effect on me in 2016, which was a bit lame in comparison to 2015 and 2017.

It was the best line of the whole night.

Yo, I didn't know that blonde was GDT wife. Good for you, man.

DXgCLWLU8AAMUQl.jpg

Happy for GDT, Deakins, Oldman- all the folks who were due. And I was very happy to see Jordan Peele pick up a win too.

I have to say though, I do kind of miss the days when acclaimed films that actually made money and resonated with a wide audience had a shot at best picture. We haven't really had that since ROTK. I really feel like the only films out of the BP batch that will still be watched and talked about 10 years from now by people other than cinephiles are Dunkirk and Get Out. Again, I'm really happy for GDT and also happy to see something genre-tinged get the big wins. I just feel like this was a year we had some "populist entertainment" nominated that also had a lot to say and were brilliantly executed-- it would've been nice to see one of those take the big prize. If only to help counter the feeling that the Oscars are stuffy, and they award movies nobody has seen, etc. On an OCD-level, it does sorta bug me that Nolan lost for what may end up being the most singular work of his career and GDT won for a...good film- but IMO not a film that only GDT could've made. Dunkirk, Get Out- those films live or die by their writer/directors and how they executed their vision.

But hey, what're you gonna do. Again, happy for GDT getting his moment here, just cause how can you not like the dude. Overall I was fine with how most of the winners shook out.

Last edited:
Because we didn't have the quality of LOTR since LOTR.

I definitely did not see TSOW winning Best Picture, and in a crowded field full of amazing films, I'm not sure that it deserves it as well. However, it shows that Academy Award may be more open-minded about giving BP to a science-fiction movie over the typical drama or biopic that they love to do in the past. Hopefully Black Panther will get a shot next year as well.

I can't believe the the "Regular or menthol ?" guy from the first ninja turtles and Justin Hammer from MCU got an Oscar.

Would you guys say "Three Billboards" is worth watching?

They did a side view of Lupita, yo, she thick. I'm pleasantly surprised. I always saw her as an athletic type, but she carrying that aunt jemima goodness man. Hot damn.

Happy for GDT, Deakins, Oldman- all the folks who were due. And I was very happy to see Jordan Peele pick up a win too.

I have to say though, I do kind of miss the days when acclaimed films that actually made money and resonated with a wide audience had a shot at best picture. We haven't really had that since ROTK. I really feel like the only films out of the BP batch that will still be watched and talked about 10 years from now by people other than cinephiles are Dunkirk and Get Out. Again, I'm really happy for GDT and also happy to see something genre-tinged get the big wins. I just feel like this was a year we had some "populist entertainment" nominated that also had a lot to say and were brilliantly executed-- it would've been nice to see one of those take the big prize. If only to help counter the feeling that the Oscars are stuffy, and they award movies nobody has seen, etc. On an OCD-level, it does sorta bug me that Nolan lost for what may end up being the most singular work of his career and GDT won for a...good film- but IMO not a film that only GDT could've made. Dunkirk, Get Out- those films live or die by their writer/directors and how they executed their vision.

But hey, what're you gonna do. Again, happy for GDT getting his moment here, just cause how can you not like the dude. Overall I was fine with how most of the winners shook out.

The Shape of Water has made 130 million dollars worldwide. There ain't anybody else sinking that kind of care and devotion into creature effects and they certainly aren't casting them as romantic leads. Shape is pretty much GDT's best English language film by a country mile.

Dunkirk's great but it's funnyh to me that you think awarding another WWII film would help conteract the Oscar's stuffy reputation.

Last edited:
Both Adam West and Tobe Hooper weren't in the memoriam.

I'm pretty sure the Globes excluded West, too. **** 'em all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"