The Dark Knight Rises A New Director After Nolan?

Gotham22

Civilian
Reaction score
Probably been asked alot before.

If/when a new director comes in after Nolan's Batman 3, do you think that the director will continue with Nolan's Batman, his realistic world or make his own Batman and world?

A new director should do his/her own take.

It is a no-brainer that David Goyer should direct Batman 4 due to his major contribution to the epicness of Dark night and Blade.

Goyer can't direct and the Nolan-Batman movies should stop when Nolan wants to stop making them.

It is a no-brainer that David Goyer should direct Batman 4 due to his major contribution to the epicness of Dark night and Blade.

It's a no-brainer that Goyer should not direct anything anymore and write only storylines for Bat-movies but never again dialogues let alone one-liners. His major contribution to TDK's epicness was NOT being as involved as he was in BB.

should be a new director with a completely different take on the character. They've already done a great origin story, so they could get right into the meat of things. Personally i'd like a more fantastical director like guillermo del toro (if he wasnt already so busy) or alfonso curaron. I think its time to bring the fantasy elements back to cinema batman. Clayface, Poison Ivy, Mr Freeze, Lazurus Pit Ra's Al Ghul, a scarier scarecrow, mat hatter etc. This in turn wouldnt tread on the ground the nolan films stood on, they would be in a completely different park.

Cauron is a good filmmaker, but would probably be somewhere along the lines of Nolan. Just like most big-time successful franchises...let some new up-and-coming director make their mark with the new Batman.

As I said in another thread, I want someone who can mix the dark tone of Nolan's films with the aesthetic of the comic book. Something along the lines of Mask of the Phantasm, The Return of The Joker, and the Arkham Asylum video game.

As I said in another thread, I want someone who can mix the dark tone of Nolan's films with the aesthetic of the comic book. Something along the lines of Mask of the Phantasm, The Return of The Joker, and the Arkham Asylum video game.

Cauron might be the man for that...if you look at Children Of Men and his work on Harry Potter.

This is exactly what I want to see. The serious characterization of Nolan with a dark comic book aesthetic. Thus my vote goes to Guillermo Del Toro or Zack Snyder with a good co-writer. Alfonso Cuaron would also probably be a nice choice.

This is exactly what I want to see. The serious characterization of Nolan with a dark comic book aesthetic. Thus my vote goes to Guillermo Del Toro or Zack Snyder with a good co-writer. Alfonso Cuaron would also probably be a nice choice.

The thing about Cauron or Del Toro is that they're already well-established...so they might not be as inclined to take on what could easily be 7+ years of making Batman movies unless that was some life-long ambition for them or what have you. When you look at most of the big multi-movie franchises over the years, most of them were the 'big break' for their respective directors....at least as far as big-time Hollywood.

That's why you wouldn't really see...or even want...say, a Spielberg or Cameron of today doing Superman or the like, i.e. anything that they didn't have full creative ownership of from concept to delivery. You'd want the 'next' Cameron of the Terminator/Aliens days, or the next Peter Jackson of the LOTR days, or Singer/X-men, or Nolan/BB, Donner/STM, and so on....not those directors of 'now'. There's something about an up-and-coming filmmaker who's making his presence known with projects like these that I feel translates directly into their quality, as well as trying to make them as successful as possible to get in good with major studios.

So in that respect...the ideal next Batman director may very well be someone that we haven't heard of yet. :O

That's very true. Probably someone just making their way up.

I'm trying to think of someone who has a few good independent or small features under their belt like Bryan Singer or Nolan when they got their superhero gigs...

Thing is, I haven't seen many terrific indie films lately like say, Usual Suspects or Memento.

That's very true. Probably someone just making their way up.

I'm trying to think of someone who has a few good independent or small features under their belt like Bryan Singer or Nolan when they got their superhero gigs...

Thing is, I haven't seen many terrific indie films lately like say, Usual Suspects or Memento.
There's still probably a lot of time until they start another BatFranchise...at least I'm hoping they'll take a break for several years after the next/last Nolan film. That future filmmaker may still be in college. Heck...I'd love a shot at it...but I'm not quite in college anymore. :csad::hehe:

The length between reboots will probably be decided by WB's other superhero franchises. If they can hold up by themselves then they can wait, otherwise if things like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern flop then they may need to quickly get Batman back out to the market.

It's a full 5 years from the last Spidey to the new reboot but it doesn't quite feel like it.

The length between reboots will probably be decided by WB's other superhero franchises. If they can hold up by themselves then they can wait, otherwise if things like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern flop then they may need to quickly get Batman back out to the market.
That's what I'm afraid of. I hope that the Nolan movies get more time/space to 'resonate', so to speak.

It's a full 5 years from the last Spidey to the new reboot but it doesn't quite feel like it.
The genre has had such a strong and lengthy run. I felt that it would cool down about now, but it keeps chugging along. I think time in between is a healthy thing, though. Helps make things feel fresher when they start up again, like it did with Spidey and X-men.

I'd be very interested to see what Zack Snyder could pull out of the bag, it would be a very far cry from what Nolan does, any other director would probably try to be Nolan and just let everyone down.

I'd be very interested to see what Zack Snyder could pull out of the bag, it would be a very far cry from what Nolan does, any other director would probably try to be Nolan and just let everyone down.

I wouldn't.

I'd like to see something a little more low-key. Maybe a 70 million dollar budget film, more noir-ish, but colorful enough to include the more fantastic villains. Maybe something that borrows heavily from the Animated Series in terms of style and tone.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a straight-up, low-budget noir Batman film, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"