Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD - 3x03 - "A Wanted (Inhu)man" - Discussion Thread

Am I the only one who thinks Daisy and Lincoln lack chemistry?

No. They have zero chemistry. But then Mary Sue/Skye/whatever hasn't shown much chemistry with anyone on the show outside of a mild protege vibe with Coulson. Even that is more due to Clark Gregg's acting than anything else.

I dunno, she and Big Mack have a good "big tree and little tree" thing going on.

I agree. You could see it coming and I groaned when they kissed. Seemed like the writers forcing it on us.
They planned this romance a long time ago, they won't change their plans because Chloe and Luke aren't friend enough or because some fanfiction want her with someone else.

I thought Werner killed Ward's creepy hench guy last week? I mean obviously not but that's what I took away from last ep, need to rewatch I guess.

What did Simmons eat while she was there? The stick she had was clearly sharpened by hand, but with what tools? She clearly met people there that helped her survive. That is why she wants to go back, to rescue them.

I thought Werner killed Ward's creepy hench guy last week? I mean obviously not but that's what I took away from last ep, need to rewatch I guess.

He beat him unconscious in the shadows....but it didn't show him dead.

What did Simmons eat while she was there? The stick she had was clearly sharpened by hand, but with what tools? She clearly met people there that helped her survive. That is why she wants to go back, to rescue them.
There could be plant life such as tubers we haven't seen.

You can sharpen sticks with rocks.

To me, it's not clear at all that she met people there (it's a possibility, but not overtly stated as of yet)....and her wanting to go back could be because of several things; example - revenge on what was chasing her, seeing something on the planet she believes we need to know about, etc....

That's what's getting me, the WHY she wants to go back

I thought this episode was great, especially the stuff with Jemma and how everything is affecting her. Fitz and Bobbi's convo about recovery really tied it nicely into what Jemma is possibly going through, and that dinner was powerful. You never go back to the island, Jemma!

The parts with the subtitles had me rolling, and then that fight club setup made Hunter look like Tyler Durden all bloodied up the way he was. I have a strong feeling he's going to bite the dust, and I will hate if that happens.

I don't understand people's complaints about Lincoln's past. There are people that play a facade of this happy, successful person who are really struggling on the inside.

They planned this romance a long time ago, they won't change their plans because Chloe and Luke aren't friend enough or because some fanfiction want her with someone else.

Then they should have done a better job casting the part of Dr. Lincoln Cambell with the Daisy romance angle in mind. Have everybody they're considering do more chemistry reads with Chloe Bennet and test make-out sessions and whatever else. If the plan was to always have Skye fall in love with whoever helps her overcome her self hatred in Afterlife, you get somebody who will be believable in that roll in "Afterlife."

Is anybody else kinda pissed off with the Lincoln character? He's characterized as the kindest, coolest, most understanding, handsome, super-powered doctor ever. Yet all he ever seemed to do was stand around with hands out waiting for the lightning effects to be drawn in. And then they over correct with "Nope! I'm really an alcoholic with multiple failed suicides to my name." I'm not feeling the ship with Daisy either.

Coulson and Roaslind on the other hand...

Yeah, his characterization is a bit jarring. I thought there was speculation that one of Roz's names might be related to him, but the allowed use of lethal force threw that theory out. The "Thomas Ward" theory is more interesting, but it has some unanswered questions, namely, Grant is supposed to have burned the house down with Thomas in it, and that would make all the Wards Inhumans. (I think, I had to look up that plot point on Marvel wiki.)

(Incidentally, this seems a major flaw in Marvel's planning. Anyone who is revealed as Inhuman immediately means their whole family is Inhuman. The population would explode overnight.)

Daisy and Lincoln seemed like someone took a Barbie and Ken doll and smushed them together; "You're both pretty, so you must kiss!"

Roz and Coulson feel like a divorced couple already.

Probably not what Daisy experienced, since that only happened when the monolith was resonating at a specific frequency and the portal was open.
Also, Simmons didn't react to the rocks, but to Bobbi's cell phone. She also seemed to react in a bad way to Daisy's cell phone, and to some lab equipment. The sounds of the fluorescent tubes in her room and even the shower bothered her.

I'm told that a common audial hallucination is hearing ringing while you're in the shower. I think its that sort of thing? A sort of vague association to recalled trauma was shown in the West Wing tv show, when Josh kept panicking during a music concert after being shot.

in the first two episodes found mac and skye a bit forced. And bobbi a bit when she psychoanalyzed, but that was interacted with well when skye responded 'no, he didn't mention you at all'. Fitz had some great scenes this season but with the isis lads that was a bit out of character for me, can put it down to drive or growth but it is a bit of a deviation. His strength in previous seasons is that he has the hart of a lion but he is disarming because he is clumsy, nerdish and inoffensive.

Not a gun nut so couldn't argue capabilities but skye stopped bullets from a hand gun at close range before, would bullets from a sniper rifle at a distance travel faster?

"Muzzle velocities range from approximately 120 m/s (390 ft/s) to 370 m/s (1,200 ft/s) in black powder muskets, to more than 1,200 m/s (3,900 ft/s) in modern rifles with high-performance cartridges such as the .220 Swift and .204 Ruger, all the way to 1,700 m/s (5,600 ft/s) for tank guns"--Wikipedia, muzzle velocity

"Fast handgun ammo such as the .460 S&W loaded with Hornady ammo is traveling at 2200 fps (feet per second) with a 200 gr bullet in a 8 3/8" barrel. This gives the .460 2149 ft-lb of energy vs the 1527 ft lbs of the 7.62x39 of the AK47."--Some internet guy

Based on the above, I would say, it depends on the weapon. Nobody in their right mind uses a cheap piece of crap like an AK for a sniper. It would be a high velocity weapon. The greater velocity, the greater the force, like the proverbial straw propelled by tornado force winds to spike an oak tree.

Alfred on Gotham talks non stop British slang this season as well.

THEY'RE TAKING OVER.

Then they should have done a better job casting the part of Dr. Lincoln Cambell with the Daisy romance angle in mind. Have everybody they're considering do more chemistry reads with Chloe Bennet and test make-out sessions and whatever else. If the plan was to always have Skye fall in love with whoever helps her overcome her self hatred in Afterlife, you get somebody who will be believable in that roll in "Afterlife."

The idea that the writers had that much planned out would deeply surprise me. That said, after all the sneering at Agents of Shield's quality, I find I am enjoying it far more than certain Marvel movies, like Age of Ultron.

Roz and Coulson feel like a divorced couple already.
Rosalind as female version of Coulson is really good. I do not expect any romances here but some personal angles can interfere.

I agree that Lincoln/Daisy relation is incredibly weak - I could agree for some hint of mutual feelings broken by the betrayal with ATCU: it would be much better. But this requires much better acting on both sides...

Grant is supposed to have burned the house down with Thomas in it, and that would make all the Wards Inhumans. (I think, I had to look up that plot point on Marvel wiki.)

I can answer that one: they never really clarified which brother was inside the house when Grant arsoned it in his teen years. We do know, however, that the brother in question survived, because Garrett mentioned "attempted murder" in his dialogue with Grant in 1x21 "Ragtag", not murder per se, which makes me think the brother in question was actually Christian, whom Grant repeatedly expressed hatred for, thus solving the inconsistency.

Last edited:
hmmm twice in a row the episode did nothing for me. the Simmons part was interesting, the rest rather meh. I hope they change focus soon

That's what's getting me, the WHY she wants to go back

Maybe the planet has changed her biochemistry in some way, or there is something in her that makes her feel that this planet is home and that she feels the need to get back there, even though it was an extremely hostile environment. It could be like that Star Trek TNG episode where Geordi LaForge had been a crew member of a mission on a planet years before, and the whole crew had their DNA rewritten, possibly by a parasite that had infected them. Their bodies changed and they became invisible, and they felt an innate sense of wanting to return to that planet.

Maybe the planet has changed her biochemistry in some way, or there is something in her that makes her feel that this planet is home and that she feels the need to get back there, even though it was an extremely hostile environment. It could be like that Star Trek TNG episode where Geordi LaForge had been a crew member of a mission on a planet years before, and the whole crew had their DNA rewritten, possibly by a parasite that had infected them. Their bodies changed and they became invisible, and they felt an innate sense of wanting to return to that planet.

The first thing that came to mind was Doctor Doom wanting to go back and rule his weirdo planet in the latest Fantastic Flop movie. I much prefer your line of thinking. Good ol' Geordi.

Last edited:
Lamashtar said:
I'm told that a common audial hallucination is hearing ringing while you're in the shower. I think its that sort of thing? A sort of vague association to recalled trauma was shown in the West Wing tv show, when Josh kept panicking during a music concert after being shot.
I don't think it's a hallucination. She does seem to hear real things, just in a weird way. The second alternative (i.e., a vague association with a traumatic event) may be true, but combined with some alterations in the way auditory perceptions (and perhaps other perceptions) happen. But we don't have enough info yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

There could be plant life such as tubers we haven't seen.

You can sharpen sticks with rocks.

To me, it's not clear at all that she met people there (it's a possibility, but not overtly stated as of yet)....and her wanting to go back could be because of several things; example - revenge on what was chasing her, seeing something on the planet she believes we need to know about, etc....

if there are people on that planet they could be descendants of those english people that played with the monolith setting up for maybe for the first time on tv a plausible senario for why people on other planets speak english.

The first thing that came to mind was Doctor Doom wanting to go back and rule his weirdo planet in the latest Fantastic Flop movie. I much prefer your line of thinking. Good ol' Geordi.

Oh I forgot about that. Domashev wanting to go back is better! :oldrazz:

if there are people on that planet they could be descendants of those english people that played with the monolith setting up for maybe for the first time on tv a plausible senario for why people on other planets speak english.

I don't think the cult or whatever it was had any women in it, it was all men. If it was a Kree planet/world maybe they experimented on the unfortunate ones who would find themselves being transported to that place.

Overall, a good solid episode. Loved the Hunter/May infiltrating HYDRA via Fight Club plot. Hunter's fight was actually surprisingly brutal. I'm loving the interplay between Roz and Coulson.These two work well together on screen. Kudos to Liz Henstridge's performance. So far, I'm a little indifferent to Lincoln but I'm willing to see where all this goes with this character before I make my final judgement.

Another hypothesis (just speculating):

Maybe Simmons wants to go back because she discovered that the thing that hunted her also did the same to many others (humans or different sorts of aliens), and they were killed, or tortured and then killed, etc., so she wants to go there in order to destroy that thing, so that no one else has to go through that.

Another hypothesis (just speculating):

Maybe Simmons wants to go back because she discovered that the thing that hunted her also did the same to many others (humans or different sorts of aliens), and they were killed, or tortured and then killed, etc., so she wants to go there in order to destroy that thing, so that no one else has to go through that.

Why would she think that she could destroy it? She barely survived the last time.

BTW what ever was hunting her was able to scent blood, as she covered her scratches in mud to avoid capture

I agree with what Lamashtar posted. With that being said, I don't think one can realistically deflect a bullet with Sky's powers (yes I said Sky; agent Coulson just can't get over that line so might as well keep calling her Sky).

With that being said, I found the Coulson/Rosalind speech slightly disturbing. If one hadn't watched previous episodes and got a look at his mechanical hand; could he have touched Lola in a wrong way? More wierded out than an LOL. Brings to mind that carbangers episode of Kids in the Hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"