Supergirl All About The Ratings!!!!!! - Part 1

Looks like both Supergirl and Charmed did well last night on Sundays.

Much better than I'd expected, all things considered. I was prepared for a .3, lol.

Also, I just noticed if the premieres are any indication, SG might be able to reclaim its spot as the #2 CW/DC show behind The Flash, as its premiere topped Black Lightning and Arrow.

Last edited:
BL is in trouble....If it keeps these ratings there will be plenty of room for Batwoman.

Thus far this week....my week starts with Sunday.....Sunday has been the CWs top night.

So who has done well in the ratings and viewership so far?

So who has done well in the ratings and viewership so far?
In terms of the DC shows on the network, so far it goes:

1.) The Flash - .73 demo; 1.88 million
2.) Supergirl - .45 demo; 1.52 million
3.) Arrow - .40 demo; 1.43 million
4.) Black Lightning - .35 demo; 1.09 million

On the network as a whole, SG is #5 (out of 10 shows currently airing) in the demo and #3 in total viewers. Flash remains soundly at #1 for both.

Flash will always be #1 for CW, but I’m glad Supergirl is 2nd to the Flash.

Rating for last night's Man of Steel episode is 0.4/ 1.26 million viewers

Interesting, it went up slightly in the demo (.38 last week to .40 this week), while down in total viewers (1.34mil last week to 1.26mil this week).

Also, the Live+7 ratings are in for SG's premiere week, and "American Alien" saw an 80% gain in the demo and a 75% gain in total viewers. Here are the Live+7 numbers of the CW DC shows that week:

1.) The Flash - 1.4 demo (75% gain); 3.80mil total viewers (83% gain)
2.) Supergirl - .9 demo (80% gain); 2.66mil total viewers (75% gain)
3.) Black Lightning - .7 demo (75% gain); 2.08mil total viewers (79% gain)

This was for the week ending Oct.14th, so Arrow and Legends hadn't premiered yet. I'll be curious to see Legends' Live+7 numbers, because it's premiere numbers were not good: .32 demo and .996mil total viewers. That's nearly half its audience it lost from last season, and puts it at #8 (out of 12) on the network. It's the only CW/DC show I'd consider to be in "danger" territory at the moment.

Last edited:
I see Flash, Supergirl, and Black Lightning as being the DCU shows the CW will eventually keep.

DVR numbers are in for the week of Oct. 15th. SG's 2nd episode "Fallout" was neck-and-neck with Arrow's premiere episode in the Live+7 numbers, and saw a 100% gain in the demo and 78% gain in total viewers. Here's how the DC shows stacked up that week:

1.) The Flash - 1.3 demo (86% gain); 3.27mil total viewers (94% gain)
2.) Supergirl - .8 demo (100% gain); 2.38mil total viewers (78% gain)
3.) Arrow (premiere) - .8 demo (100% gain); 2.35mil total viewers (64% gain)
4.) Black Lightning - .6 demo (100% gain); 1.69mil total viewers (65% gain)

Numbers for Ahimsa are 0.4/ 1.22 million viewers. Ratings are steady from last week, but viewership dips a bit.

Viewership often changes when the final ratings come in, too.

Also worth noting, Supergirl has dipped below Arrow in the season averages in the demo, thanks mostly to last week's ep when it was against both Sunday Night Football AND the final game of the World Series, which resulted in a .37 in the demo (the numbers that van posted above were not the finals, though viewership actually ticked UP in the finals, to 1.28mil).

EDIT: Viewership this week went up a smidge in the finals to 1.23mil. Also, if last night’s prelim ratings hold, Arrow’s time leading in the demo season averages over SG will have been very short lived.

Last edited:
Current CW rankings by season averages in the 18-49 demo:

1.) The Flash - .70 (1.85mil live viewers)
2.) Riverdale - .48 (1.39mil live viewers)
3.) Supernatural - .45 (1.47mil live viewers)
4.) Charmed - .41 (1.25mil live viewers) - worth noting, this has dipped below SG the last 2 weeks; it's average is just higher due to its much higher premiere. It'll drop soon.
5.) Supergirl - .40 (1.34mil live viewers)
6.) Arrow - .39 (1.21mil live viewers)
7.) Black Lightning - .36 (1.08mil live viewers)
8.) Legacies - .33 (1.13mil live viewers)
9.) Legends of Tomorrow - .31 (0.93mil live viewers)
10.) All-American - .21 (0.67mil live viewers)
11.) Dynasty - .17 (0.59mil live viewers)
12.) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (final season) - .14 (0.41mil live viewers)

Normally, I would say the bottom 3 are at risk, but Crazy Ex obviously has nothing to worry about since it's already confirmed to be ending, and I'd say Legends should also be worried since it's reportedly more expensive to produce than most. It's got that syndication goal on its side, though.

iZombie won't return until next year, but it really doesn't count since it will have its final season.

Out of the DCU shows, Legends has most effects with Flash and Supergirl not too far behind. Glad Supergirl is in the Top 5.

Since Sundays are new(ish) for the CW, I wonder if Supergirl gets a “break” from the network for being in uncharted territory (so to speak). :shrug: BTW, Charmed - also a Sunday show, and with near-identical ratings to Supergirl - has just been picked up for a full season.

It’s doesnt need a break. The top 5 shows on a network are pretty much always safe, barring unusual circumstances. I’m sure they’re happy with SG’s performance. It’ll be renewed.

It’s doesnt need a break. The top 5 shows on a network are pretty much always safe, barring unusual circumstances. I’m sure they’re happy with SG’s performance. It’ll be renewed.
Seriously, what is the CW going to even turn to if it started dropping these shows? The reason they have built the network around the superhero shows and Riverdale is because they are by far their most lucrative properties. They are what make the channel viable and in anyway relevant. They have most importantly made them a bit of a force in the streaming world.

Yep, and it's also important to remember, The CW is a special snowflake - a netlet, rather than a network, and it's the only thing of its kind in the television industry. It doesn't rely on live viewers. That's not the reason it exists. Which is good, because it's not even available in all the same regions/outlets that the major broadcast networks are, which is why its Nielsen ratings will never be as high as them. It exists as a vessel for syndication deals, streaming deals, home video and merchandising revenue. ALL of the shows on it are produced by its parent companies (WB and CBS), so the CW basically pays nothing to air them. The only things these shows cost are their very, VERY low production costs, and that's it. Which makes it extremely easy for them to earn a profit. The DC shows are the most profitable due to the merchandising/streaming/home video factor. Which is why 2 years ago WB reported these shows netting them a billion dollar a year profits. These shows would have to absolutely TANK - by this network's standards - in order to be cancelled. And as I said before, the only one approaching that line currently, I'd say, is Legends of Tomorrow, and that's only because those production costs are apparently a little higher for it, and I doubt it brings in as much outside revenue as the others. BUT I still think it'll survive long enough to reach optimal syndication numbers, at least.

These last two weeks, SG has come in #4 on a network currently airing 12 shows, a network which only regularly cancels about 2 shows a season. Barring a major BTS disaster situation, it has absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of renewal.

Supergirl being renewed for another season is all I care about.

Prelims have SG down this week at a .32 in the demo and 1.16mil live viewers (which is about where I'd expected it to premiere in this new time slot in the first place, lol). Anyway, all the CW shows have been down this week, so it's not too surprising.

DVR numbers are in for the week of 4x03 "Man of Steel." This was also the week of the Legends of Tomorrow premiere, and they get the best news: Their premiere grew 133% in the demo and 104% in total viewers, which is great. So they haven't really lost so much of their audience after all. Anyway, here's how the CW shows are fared in the Live+7 numbers for the week of Oct. 22nd:

1.) The Flash: 1.3 demo; 3.40mil total viewers
2.) Riverdale: .9 demo; 2.44mil total viewers
3.) Supernatural: .7 demo; 2.23mil total viewers
4.) Supergirl: .7 demo; 2.21mil total viewers
5.) Arrow: .7 demo; 2.034mil total viewers
6.) Legends of Tomorrow: .7 demo; 2.032mil total viewers
7.) Charmed: .7 demo; 1.99mil total viewers
8.) Black Lightning: .7 demo; 1.90mil total viewers
9.) Legacies: .6 demo; 1.79mil total viewers
10.) All-American: .4 demo; 1.21mil total viewers
11.) Dynasty: .3 demo; 0.84mil total viewers
12.) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: .2 demo; 0.56mil total viewers

^Look at all those .7 demos, lol. In other news, CW announced their midseason plans: Black Lightning will return in Legends of Tomorrow's slot, Roswell, New Mexico will be premiering in BL's current slot, and LoT will be staying on hiatus 'til April. Dare I hope SG might be avoiding the hiatus curse this year? Here's the new line-up: The CW Sets Midseason Schedule: ‘Roswell, New Mexico’ Gets Premiere Date, ‘Black Lightning’ Moves To Monday

Ratings for "Parasite Lost" are 0.3/1 and 1.16 million viewers. (TV By the Numbers)

Last night was the Peoples Choice Awards and award shows do lend themselves to live views. I'll bet more people than normal recorded the show to watch later.

The prelims for last night's ep are .334 in the demo, 1.15mil total live viewers. If those hold, it'll be a slight uptick for the demo and slight downtick in live total viewers from last week (which had .316 in the demo and 1.157 total live viewers).

Worth noting, Arrow has overtaken SG in the demo these last couple weeks, but not in total viewers.

Viewership for Call To Action is on par with last weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"