BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 295

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for this thing to hit DVD so we can get the inevitable "it was a huge hit on dvd!" excuse and how people are "discovering it for the first time."

I'm waiting for the VHS

Shadow puppets! :awesome:

Caught my second viewing of BvS earlier today & enjoyed it just as much as the first time & find it to be a worthy piece of cinema. This time around, I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance even more & feel like he's a bit underrated.

Caught my second viewing of BvS earlier today & enjoyed it just as much as the first time & find it to be a worthy piece of cinema. This time around, I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance even more & feel like he's a bit underrated.

Wrong thread for that bro... This is the all things negative about BvS thread, right guys????? :whatever:

Shields..... UP!!! :woot:

You know, in a way, The Avengers ruined cinema ... The same way Lord of the Rings did, and the same way Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 did.

LOTR is the reason why every movie has to be obscenely long (whether it's warranted or not).

Harry Potter is the reason why most final movies have to be in two parts now.

And The Avengers is the reason why there have been so many other movies trying to set up some "bigger universe." The thing is that where The Avengers succeeded, most other franchises have failed (because they don't want to put the work into making good standalone movies; heck, even the sequel to The Avengers suffered because Marvel was trying to recreate its own lightning in a bottle and kind of made an overstep).

BvS obviously represents how The Avengers ruined cinema in many aspects, in my opinion.

You know, in a way, The Avengers ruined cinema ... The same way Lord of the Rings did, and the same way Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 did.

LOTR is the reason why every movie has to be obscenely long (whether it's warranted or not).

And The Avengers is the reason why there have been so many other movies trying to set up some "bigger universe." The thing is that where The Avengers succeeded, most other franchises have failed (because they don't want to put the work into making good standalone movies).

BvS obviously represents how The Avengers ruined cinema in many aspects, in my opinion.
It seems like sequels and trilogies are yesterday's news.

And The Avengers is the reason why there have been so many other movies trying to set up some "bigger universe." The thing is that where The Avengers succeeded, most other franchises have failed (because they don't want to put the work into making good standalone movies; heck, even the sequel to The Avengers suffered because Marvel was trying to recreate its own lightning in a bottle and kind of made an overstep).

I don't buy these grander narratives.

It's just a poorly-made film.

You can't fault the 'originals' for the failures of its copycats.

Don't forget how Batman Begins and TDK made EVERY CBM dark and gritty. *conveniently avoids eye contact with Marvel Studios films*

Poorly made is reserved for michael bay films. This film actually had some craft and effort put forward

There's plenty of craft and effort in Michael Bay films.

I missed out on watching 13 Hours this year. But I'm sure it was vastly superior to BvS. It also has a vastly superior critical rating.

There's plenty of craft and effort in Michael Bay films.

I missed out on watching 13 Hours this year. But I'm sure it was vastly superior to BvS. It also has a vastly superior critical rating.

Outside of the fireworks type explosions?

Wouldnt know, apprently no one saw it.

I don't buy these grander narratives.

It's just a poorly-made film.

they pulled an ASM2 in my opinion:
*Made the first movie darker and grittier than the previous franchise
*Second movie tries to set up a bigger universe
*introduces a villain that tries to be tragic but comes off as weird
*introduces a villain in last minute just to make an iconic comicbook scene in the movie
*hint at the team up movie in a pretty underwhealming way

Outside of the fireworks type explosions?

Wouldnt know, apprently no one saw it.

The Snyder-Defense Brigade can say "at least Snyder is better than Bay" all they want.

Though Snyder was a better filmmaker in the days when he made 300 and Dawn of the Dead, so was Bay in his early days of Armageddon and The Rock and Bad Boys. I'll note that the latter two have had greater longevity. Early Bay is better than Early Snyder.

Looking to today, however, Snyder's recent films are simply not better, and both critics and audiences agree. Late Bay is better than late Snyder.

Finally, "at least it's better than Transformers/Twilight" is not an argument. In this case it's not even true.

I'm a former Snyder fanboy. Now that I've seen BvS, I can only conclude that the man needs to go.

Last edited:
The Snyder-Defense Brigade can say "at least Snyder is better than Bay" all they want.

Though Snyder was a better filmmaker in the days when he made 300 and Dawn of the Dead, so was Bay in his early days of Armageddon and The Rock and Bad Boys. I'll note that the latter two have had greater longevity. Early Bay is better than Early Snyder.

Looking to today, however, Snyder's recent films are simply not better, and both critics and audiences agree. Late Bay is better than late Snyder.

I'm a former Snyder fanboy. Now that I've seen BvS, I can only conclude that the man needs to go.

Why does he need to go? because his vision didnt fit yours going in? They promoted this film as what we expected for 3 years now. Why is it such a shock we got a dark batman superman film?

The internet yes the internet took a large nevatiive stance on this film and yet in REAL world ive yet to meet anyone who didnt like it.

Why does he need to go? because his vision didnt fit yours going in? They promoted this film as what we expected for 3 years now. Why is it such a shock we got a dark batman superman film?

The internet yes the internet took a large nevatiive stance on this film and yet in REAL world ive yet to meet anyone who didnt like it.

Snyder needs to go because the first Batman/Superman movie in history, with one of the strongest marketing campaigns in history, which opened on Easter and is facing no competition ...

- Will gross in the neighbourhood of ~800 million whereas people assumed 1 billion was the floor;
- Is on track for a ~70% second weekend drop;
- Has a 29% approval rating with the critics, when at least half of recent CBMs beat 80%;
- Has a ~40% user score on rotten tomatoes among users who watched it from March 24th onwards;
- Is doing awfully in China, the fastest growing international market;

Wait... so you know real people? :woot:

My experience is pretty similar. One of my friends said he hated it and it was a piece of crap, but all he was doing was playing contrarian. After a few cold ones he said he actually liked a lot of the movie and that he thought he was gonna hate it only because Snyder.

It seems like sequels and trilogies are yesterday's news.

Trilogies are definitely dead. It's either needlessly splitting up a final act into two films or endless sequels.

Which is why I really respect Nolan for holding strong to his vision to close out his TDK trilogy, instead of The Dark Knight Rises-Part 1: The Fire Rises, The Dark Knight Rises-Part 2: CIA guy's revenge.

Wait... so you know real people? :woot:

My experience is pretty similar. One of my friends said he hated it and it was a piece of crap, but all he was doing was playing contrarian. After a few cold ones he said he actually liked a lot of the movie and that he thought he was gonna hate it only because Snyder.

Lol maybe not the best word to use but yeah the internet seems to have once again a different opinion to people on the street.

Matrix Re.... did it first.
Even if it wasn't good enough to be a proper influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"