BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - Part 304

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something?

Is this stuff Dave Gibbons is saying really being seen as a new and original thought?

Critics, fans and other creators have been saying the exact same things for months now.

Nothing new or original, but when the guy who co created one of the greatest comic books in history opens his mouth, I take notice.

They really nailed the opening segment in Metropolis. It felt real, even though the subject matter - two super humans flying around, was not.

That opened up well. Felt like the climax of the more. Hell stakes felt high than the DD battle

Last edited:
That scene hit the feels for sure and it followed the Wayne murder scene. That 9/11 imagery from ground level had my heart racing. People scream in anticipation of a building collapse. OMG. 2 emotional powerful scenes opened up the movie and I liked it and then it kinda fell flat for about 45 minutes before climbing back up. That was the problem with many people I think.

The 9/11 imagery felt a bit lazy and too easy to stir up emotions for me. I liked what the scene was going for and how it was executed but felt it was a bit lazy cause using 9/11 imagery has become redundant. The scene also has the silliness between Bruce and his employee. I giggled out loud the first time Bruce told him to leave. That scene alone made me wonder how can a film be in production for 3 years and no one caught on to how goofy that moment was? It was a good indicator of how flimsy this whole movie was going to be in the end.

I am a benevolent hater of this movie, and as such I will concede that the sense of surrealism in the Metropolis battle from Wayne's point of view is extremely well done.

I didn't get that same sense when watching the Metropolis event in MoS.

Oh, agreed. For all that BvS got wrong, that one scene was perfect, or near enough not to matter.

The 9/11 imagery felt a bit lazy and too easy to stir up emotions for me. I liked what the scene was going for and how it was executed but felt it was a bit lazy cause using 9/11 imagery has become redundant. The scene also has the silliness between Bruce and his employee. I giggled out loud the first time Bruce told him to leave. That scene alone made me wonder how can a film be in production for 3 years and no one caught on to how goofy that moment was? It was a good indicator of how flimsy this whole movie was going to be in the end.

It's realistic when you only leave the building after being told by the CEO of your company during catasphroic disasters like that. That scene would have been better if they were already evacuating and you had Jack taking on the responsibly of ensuring everyone left.

Oh, agreed. For all that BvS got wrong, that one scene was perfect, or near enough not to matter.

That scene was awesome especially the transitioning text of the world is introduced to "The Superman" I had goosebumps reading that and thought I was in for a ride.

Yeah exactly, my friends who actually enjoyed the movie were laughing at how dumb that was. I couldn't believe it. "Alright guys! The boss wants us to leave! Let's do what the boss says people!" :loco: Then that idiot stays there praying when he could have been running for his life. When he died i was like "you deserve it, you moron!". How's that for negative! Snyders got nothin on me!

Between that and the scene before where Snyder let the audience think this movie was the worst (even if it only lasted 10 seconds)...yeah im talking about young Bruce flying. Talk about a one - two punch of nonsense.

The CG (cars/explosions) in the Metropolis flashback was terrible too.

The 9/11 crap with buildings falling and people running or looking in awe...it's so lazy. It's such an easy "THIS WILL GET THEM TO FEEL FOR BRUCE!!"

"Lazy"

Yeah I can't understand what that means.

Yeah exactly, my friends who actually enjoyed the movie were laughing at how dumb that was. I couldn't believe it. "Alright guys! The boss wants us to leave! Let's do what the boss says people!" :loco: Then that idiot stays there praying when he could have been running for his life. When he died i was like "you deserve it, you moron!". How's that for negative! Snyders got nothin on me!
Some people actually did stay in the buildings during 9/11. It was an unprecedented event and circumstance, many did not know what to do during the hysteria. No one expected a skyscraper to just topple. It's not illogical to feel safer inside.

Some people actually did stay in the buildings during 9/11. It was an unprecedented event and circumstance, many did not know what to do during the hysteria. No one expected a skyscraper to just topple. It's not illogical to feel safer inside.
This is most likely set in a post 911 world so by now those people should know that hiding in a tall building is not safe. The whole idea behind MoS was "what would happen if this happened in our world, tomorrow?"

Still the worst cbm ever

Because of the stakes

Howard the Duck and Catwoman are technically the worst but this was a failure on a colossal level. Nothing worked in this movie except for what Wilkinson did

Still the worst cbm ever

Because of the stakes

Howard the Duck and Catwoman are technically the worst but this was a failure on a colossal level. Nothing worked in this movie except for what Wilkinson did

I would add Larry Fong as a positive, as well as both Affleck and Irons performances. Not counting the cuestionable decisions on Batman characterization of course, but that's not really on Affleck so I still count his performance as a positive.

Between that and the scene before where Snyder let the audience think this movie was the worst (even if it only lasted 10 seconds)...yeah im talking about young Bruce flying. Talk about a one - two punch of nonsense.

The CG (cars/explosions) in the Metropolis flashback was terrible too.

The 9/11 crap with buildings falling and people running or looking in awe...it's so lazy. It's such an easy "THIS WILL GET THEM TO FEEL FOR BRUCE!!"

I dislike the movie but I found this criticism quite stupid, what is wrong with portraying the 9/11 like imagery to represent the powerlessness of a human being during said situation? What would not be "lazy"? What does "lazy" even mean in that context?

IMO, the movie has way more real and serious issues (borderline amateur editing, script writing, charactetization).

The problem could've been solved if the movie had the Wayne Enterprises employees trapped by debris while the invasion was happening, and couldn't get out.

The problem could've been solved if the movie had the Wayne Enterprises employees trapped by debris while the invasion was happening, and couldn't get out.
It boggles my mind how no one working on the script/production of the film notices these obvious plot holes.

I'm kind of surprised Affleck didn't see the failure of this version of Lex along the way :eek:

I mean, he was only in two short scenes with him.

They need to get Jaxon and The Guard in a room with Gibbons so they can both tell him why he's wrong and not intelligent enough to understand the nuanced subtleties of BvS.

I am amazed that the script got the greenlight when the 1% reasoning was used to justify Batman literally planning to murder a being that saved humanity from extinction.
A being that is clearly a good guy.
When the Batman v Superman movie plans were released, never did I think that Batman would actually want to kill Superman. Enact a plan to incapacitate him due to events in the film causing him to take this action yeah. But murder him? Based on awful reasoning. And this being the foundation of the film? Wow. Such a misstep. Such a misunderstanding.

They need to get Jaxon and The Guard in a room with Gibbons so they can both tell him why he's wrong and not intelligent enough to understand the nuanced subtleties of BvS.
Lol. This movie was so nuanced and subtle it played the slow mo extended Wayne death scene twice! Just in case you were too dumb to make the Martha connection.

This is most likely set in a post 911 world so by now those people should know that hiding in a tall building is not safe. The whole idea behind MoS was "what would happen if this happened in our world, tomorrow?"
Seeing as NYC doesn't exist in the DC world, it's more probable the 'Battle of Metropolis' is their 9/11. The parallel imagery is prominent in both MOS and BvS. Way back when, Goyer noted how the arrival of Superman would be a turning point in humanity. Not unlike how 9/11 was the first stamp of the 2000s and changed America's face forever.

When the Batman v Superman movie plans were released, never did I think that Batman would actually want to kill Superman. Enact a plan to incapacitate him due to events in the film causing him to take this action yeah. But murder him? Based on awful reasoning. And this being the foundation of the film? Wow. Such a misstep. Such a misunderstanding.
I didn't envision Bruce enacting a murder either, but come to think of it, it was the logical endpoint if his goal was to stop him. He's not law enforcement and there is no jail to hold him, so just 'beating' him in a battle is a temporary solution. It's a toughie because you do have to compromise one of your staple characters to justify it, but simultaneously the alternative is a gaping hole in logical through-line.

SsLkoMZ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"