All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on when the sale goes through, do they have that choice? Some films are still in production and ready for release. Not to mention that they still have to buy a company and IP that has the reputation that those films have earned. Even if they redo it themselves, that's a handicap in addition to having to find a way to produce those movies in the future.

Amazon could quite easily eat any losses from pulling the current in production movies. Not that they’d do that of course. But I’d imagine there would be delays and major changes.

...I’m not suggesting a purchase of this kind doesn’t come with huge ramifications.

I disagree. The CW shows are not shorter seasons like Amazon shows. They are written with commercial breaks in mind. The very structure of the shows would change. If that happens, actors' contracts would have to be renegotiated, since they would be based on a certain amount of episodes.

Yep. All contracts can be negotiated. All shows can be restructured. Amazon pay better too. You think Stephen Amell walks if they offer him a pay rise and a bigger budget over on Amazon Video?

Amazon could quite easily eat any losses from pulling the current in production movies. Not that they’d do that of course. But I’d imagine there would be delays and major changes.

...I’m not suggesting a purchase of this kind doesn’t come with huge ramifications.

I just want to be clear that those "ramifications" add on more work and more money than the initial easy $4 billion price tag makes it look.

Yep. All contracts can be negotiated. All shows can be restructured. Amazon pay better too. You think Stephen Amell walks if they offer him a pay rise and a bigger budget over on Amazon Video?

If Amazon has to offer all the stars more money, then how is the deal one that works in its favor? And, no, I don't think it would be easy to tempt stars like Amell, especially when one of the big selling points of a traditional network show is the salary bump and residual checks one receives once the show earns syndication rights.

I just want to be clear that those "ramifications" add on more work and more money than the initial easy $4 billion price tag makes it look.

If Amazon has to offer all the stars more money, then how is the deal one that works in its favor? And, no, I don't think it would be easy to tempt stars like Amell, especially when one of the big selling points of a traditional network show is the salary bump and residual checks one receives once the show earns syndication rights.

And I maintain Amazon has both the money, and the forward thinking to see the worth in DC long term, even in the current state the cinematic universe is in.

Pretty sure Amazon would still pay someone like Amell better than network TV.

Look, the point I’m making here is that if the merger falls through (by no means a certainty) and TW puts DC up for sale, Amazon are the best contender to purchase it. They have everything required to shepherd a DC live action multiverse, and I believe it would be the best home for DC, given the ongoing disruption to the existing entertainment framework in Hollywood and beyond.

And I maintain Amazon has both the money, and the forward thinking to see the worth in DC long term, even in the current state the cinematic universe is in.

Forward thinking remains to be seen, but they unquestionably have the money.

Sure, but it's going to cost them a lot more than the $4 billion dollars the company pays upfront, and those additional costs would have to factor into the company's decision to take on the IP.

Pretty sure Amazon would still pay someone like Amell better than network TV.

You are missing the point. If they have to pay Amell more than network TV, then Amazon would end up paying more for DCTV than WB paid for DCTV. How is that a good deal?

Look, the point I’m making here is that if the merger falls through (by no means a certainty) and TW puts DC up for sale, Amazon are the best contender to purchase it. They have everything required to shepherd a DC live action multiverse, and I believe it would be the best home for DC, given the ongoing disruption to the existing entertainment framework in Hollywood and beyond.

They do not have everything. Amazon is only just beginning to branch out into feature films with its Amazon Studios. If it wants to start producing blockbuster superhero films, then it's going to have to put in a lot of work and money to get there. That doesn't mean Amazon won't be willing to take all of that on by investing in DC Entertainment, but I don't think it's as appealing a deal as you are making it out to be.

You are missing the point. If they have to pay Amell more than network TV, then Amazon would end up paying more for DCTV than WB paid for DCTV. How is that a good deal?

Popular shows mean more subscribers to Amazon Video. Who are also subscribers to Amazon Prime. Who buy more on Amazon. You could conceivably have DC as a loss leader... though I doubt that would remain the case for long.

They do not have everything. Amazon is only just beginning to branch out into feature films with its Amazon Studios. If it wants to start producing blockbuster superhero films, then it's going to have to put in a lot of work and money to get there. That doesn't mean Amazon won't be willing to take all of that on by investing in DC Entertainment, but I don't think it's as appealing a deal as you are making it out to be.

I don’t care about Amazon making blockbuster cinema movies with DC. I want DC to be the main comic book franchise of the streaming media future. Marvel own the multiplex. Why bother competing?

I’d much rather have large budget Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman tv shows. The Netflix series on steroids.

DC can’t really compete at the cinema now. Why not lead the way on new technology? Blaze a new path, instead of retreading an old one?

On that note: I’d be quite interested in seeing Gadot star in a WW television show, especially if the showrunner decides to set it in the past.

Long term I think services like Amazon Prime and Netflix are going to be the places for entertainment. The reality is peoples viewing habits have altered in the last 10 years to online video, so the first brand to make the jump is going to be the one to have longevity. Thing is if DC and Marvel fail to capitalise on that then some other superhero brand may very well come in and cement itself as being superhero franchise for the future. Whilst I don't see either giving up the cinema space, the issue is it they may both be fighting over a space that doesn't have the brightest of futures.

I’d much rather have large budget Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman tv shows. The Netflix series on steroids.
I'd be sceptical of this, simply because of how drawn out a tv series could be. When you think of Arrow, Flash and Supergirl, and how many filler episodes there are, and then how poor the writing (can be) from time to time...

Unless [they] can restrict these shows to ten hour-long episodes per season, I'd rather they try to do something with the big screen. There's always an option for them to do the big heroes on the small screen (we've already seen Superman on Supergirl), and Bruce Wayne has been mentioned or referenced several times on Arrow and Flash - so the likelihood of the Batman existing isn't too farfetched, but I wouldn't want a series that just goes on and on and on.

On that note: I’d be quite interested in seeing Gadot star in a WW television show, especially if the showrunner decides to set it in the past.
I can't quite imagine her doing the small screen.

I wouldn't mind large-budget mini-series (6-10 episodes). It can give enough space to elaborate more complex matters and world building yet not drawn out the series too much.

Mini-series with no preset episodes or seasons is the ideal way to go.

Every "season" is devoted to one overarching story, and it's up to the creators to decide how long it is. No fillers, and no expectations of delivering another yearly story until it's actually written.

I loved what Netflix did with THE OA, where every episode was its own length (anywhere between 40-90 minutes). With streaming being the de facto standard of tv viewing moving forward, there's really no need to accommodate the traditional forms of serialized tv production.

Mini-series with no preset episodes or seasons is the ideal way to go.

Every "season" is devoted to one overarching story, and it's up to the creators to decide how long it is. No fillers, and no expectations of delivering another yearly story until it's actually written.

I loved what Netflix did with THE OA, where every episode was its own length (anywhere between 40-90 minutes). With streaming being the de facto standard of tv viewing moving forward, there's really no need to accommodate the traditional forms of serialized tv production.
:up:

According to Greg Berlanti, there's still a Booster Gold film in development.

If they go with the reborn Egyptians angle for Hawkman and Hawkgirl, WB would be foolish to make them white. Perfect opportunity for more diversity there, and it makes sense with these characters.

According to Greg Berlanti, there's still a Booster Gold film in development.

I don’t think anyone’s clamoring for this one. Green Lantern Corps, Lobo and Legion of Suoerheroes all tank higher for me when it comes to space-based DC movies

If they go with the reborn Egyptians angle for Hawkman and Hawkgirl, WB would be foolish to make them white. Perfect opportunity for more diversity there, and it makes sense with these characters.

Good point. I don't think anyone could consider that 'forced'.

Hawkgirl has a history of being portrayed by a non White actress in her most iconic appearances, so it makes sense.

JLU- Latina (Maria Canals-Barrera)
Smallville- Arab (Sahar Binaz)
Legends- Multiracial (Ciara Renee)
Super Hero Girls- Latina (?)

Though I feel some people would still complain... :whatever:

A good summary of the situation with the merger and potential consequences.

[YT]nFSdRaHLmMA[/YT]

4wwRMn0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"