All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avengers' hype didn't really go into overdrive until the Superbowl TV spot. Until then it was tepid optimism. They poured all the money shots they could possibly muster in the one minute time frame and effectively exploded twitters and facebooks with nothing but talk of how awesome the Avengers looked. MOS needs to do the same. The good thing is that its first trailer has an air of far more optimism to it than The Avengers' first trailer did imo. They need to maintain that momentum and unleash every money shot Snyder has composed (that only he can) and blow the brains off the unsuspecting Superbowl audience. WB can subsequently start an even bigger firestorm in Twitter and Facebook than even Marvel did.
This. Except for the "every money shot" part. Leave a few goodies for the theater. But surely in a Snyder film there are enough impressive shots to pack into 30-seconds without showing their entire hand.

I really, really want a Superbowl spot, but I was just looking through WB's big releases over the past few years on IMDB, and I can't recall a single one of them having a SB spot since Batman Begins in 2005. If I'm correct, then that's going on 8 years without participating in the Superbowl ad circus. I think those saying WB just don't bother with it anymore are right. :(

Last edited:
Aside from SR in 2006 it seems each of their summer tentpole release each year didn't need it. It was either a Nolan film or Potter film.

Inception probably could've gained the most with a SB spot.

They look accurate to me.

It is pretty darn close. Same for the others, as well.

O5JAf.jpg

Maybe I'm being picky, but to me, these illustrations aren't all that great, especially not the Reeves logo.

supermanlogocomparisons.png

Your right, and the mos logo isn't accurate either. But still cool to see the progression over th years

From that infograph George Reeves \S/ is the best IMO. Then Superman 2011 #1, then Action 2011 and finally MoS.

How is that bull and not good enough. DC has had Superfriends, JL/JLU, multiple Batman cartoons, GL, YJ, Batman films, Superman films, Flash tv show, and a WW tv show to really establish the characters. I agree that the layman/GA would not be able to tell many of the characters origin stories, but they could sure name and identify the characters and possibly a power or two. That is one plus DC has over Marvel IMO. They could by pass the traditional solo films and stretch out the ensemble film.

However, if they do wait I think 2018-2020 is a reasonable time frame to get the ball rolling to lead up to a JL film. However, I just think some characters really don't need their own solo films before JL. MM; Aquaman (maybe); Cyborg; John Stewart could be introduced in the GL reboot or sequel along with Hal, so he doesn't; and Flash possibly doesn't. Flash's rogues gallery is pretty comical so unless they revamp a villain or give him multiple villains in a solo film, it could possibly be a let down. However, if it comes after a JL film then he could fight villains that could possibly build tech from the Darksied or Braniac Invasion war that could give him a challenge against his speed.

Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman; most people would have a cursory idea of. But that is just not good enough, and it would be a major disservice to all those characters if they were only to get a 5-10 minute introductory sequence in a Justice League film in 2015/16 instead of their own film to establish themselves.

Remember it's about being able to have time to come to grips and actually enjoy an actors new take of these heroes too, so in a way we'd all be being reintroduced to these heroes. A JL film will be around ~150 minutes. There's not enough time to introduce 5+ heroes and properly flesh them out. Like I said we'd get what a 5-10 minutes rushed sequence in Atlantis to establish Aquaman, another rushed sequence in Paradise Island, etc.

It's just too easy to see it being a mess. The fact that good directors (Nolan, Snyder, Ridley Scott, Affleck) are all turning it down tells me that that's exactly how the scripts looking behind the scenes as well. And considering how people are berating the script of the one film the JL writer (Will Beall) has released (Gangster Squad) it's not hard to figure.

But all that is besides the point for me. I would love to see WB take on a JL film. But not now that it seems it's going to %#@$ with the MOS films. That is what worries me. Think of if back in 2005 WB was going to put Bale into a JL film. Think what effect that would of had on TDK. That is what will happen to MOS2. And I know you'll argue that Superman is more fantastical and sci-fi in nature and lends himself more to JL. But it's the very exclusivity he has in his own universe that makes him unique inside it. Having Cyborg and Green Lantern in the MOS universe will just ruin it.

In the end it's a circular argument and we're all saying the same things. I'm never going to open up to a JL film (that messes with MOS and TDK), and most people on here want JL no matter what. We'll have to agree to an impasse.

Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman; most people would have a cursory idea of. But that is just not good enough, and it would be a major disservice to all those characters if they were only to get a 5-10 minute introductory sequence in a Justice League film in 2015/16 instead of their own film to establish themselves.

Remember it's about being able to have time to come to grips and actually enjoy an actors new take of these heroes too, so in a way we'd all be being reintroduced to these heroes. A JL film will be around ~150 minutes. There's not enough time to introduce 5+ heroes and properly flesh them out. Like I said we'd get what a 5-10 minutes rushed sequence in Atlantis to establish Aquaman, another rushed sequence in Paradise Island, etc.

It's just too easy to see it being a mess. The fact that good directors (Nolan, Snyder, Ridley Scott, Affleck) are all turning it down tells me that that's exactly how the scripts looking behind the scenes as well. And considering how people are berating the script of the one film the JL writer (Will Beall) has released (Gangster Squad) it's not hard to figure.

But all that is besides the point for me. I would love to see WB take on a JL film. But not now that it seems it's going to %#@$ with the MOS films. That is what worries me. Think of if back in 2005 WB was going to put Bale into a JL film. Think what effect that would of had on TDK. That is what will happen to MOS2. And I know you'll argue that Superman is more fantastical and sci-fi in nature and lends himself more to JL. But it's the very exclusivity he has in his own universe that makes him unique inside it. Having Cyborg and Green Lantern in the MOS universe will just ruin it.

In the end it's a circular argument and we're all saying the same things. I'm never going to open up to a JL film (that messes with MOS and TDK), and most people on here want JL no matter what. We'll have to agree to an impasse.

Ok. However, to clarify I wouldn't want a JL film before some characters get their solo efforts. I would however, prefer a JL dual/trilogy instead of 3-4 solo films that lead up to a 150-170 film. But that's just me.

Yeah, they didn't do one for TDKR did they? I can't recall them doing one for The Dark Knight but I remember when the Batman Begins one aired.

Just a few weeks to go before we know for sure I guess!

I only remember the Batman Begins TV spot. This is why I think they will do it with Superman, they need to reintroduce him just like they did for Batman.

[YT]UF-erdD0oTY[/YT]

In all reality as much as I loved the BB superbowl spot ( which features corny modern rock music) I don't think it did all that much to increase ticket sales upon release.

They really are doing the absolute bare minimum of marketing for MOS. If they don't have a Super Bowl spot, it'll be a little concerning.

Only fitting for Superman to show at the Super bowl. Make it happen wb.

One of the things that made me confident in the upcoming Man of Steel movie is the fact that they're going to the source material, which is the comics themselves and staying true to the material instead of relying on past movie and TV incarnations of Superman. You have 75 years worth of material to draw from. That's one of the reasons Superman: The Movie held up well in the test of time.

I wonder what the chances are of us getting something new and interesting before the end of this month.

Yea, but if they dont let the public know all that, it won't mean a thing. The marketing ( so far) is a little concerning.

Anyone watching the Manchester United VS Liverpool game on Sky Sports in the UK?

They just did a piece between the 2 strikers and it was done as the trailer for Man of Steel with the music & the S logo in the background. Got goosebumps just watching that. :D

Anyone watching the Manchester United VS Liverpool game on Sky Sports in the UK?

They just did a piece between the 2 strikers and it was done as the trailer for Man of Steel with the music & the S logo in the background. Got goosebumps just watching that. :D

Yeah I just saw it ha ha

IMO they don't need to do MoS spot for superbowl. Superbowl ads/commercials during that time are very expensive. Yeah, WB has it in the budget, but they could put that money elsewhere IMO.

Word of mouth and other forms of marketing will be enough for the film. There has been a trend of movies being successful without the need for pushing traditional forms of marketing. Everyone keeps saying, "Do a SB spot. We want a SB spot. It's un-American to not have MoS with the SB." Geez, the film will do fine without SB.

If anything I say the film should just push commercial tv trailers a month or two before the film and that's all for tv. That formula has proven successful for many other films. Additionally, internet marketing and trailers during other films in months prior will be quite enough.

WB save your money and screw the SB. SB marketing isn't what it use to be. This film will do/be great without the SuperBowl!

I think they do need to do one, thus film needs major exposure. People gave to know this isn't like any Supernan infact any comic film that's come before

Yea, but if they dont let the public know all that, it won't mean a thing. The marketing ( so far) is a little concerning.

I think they do need to do one, thus film needs major exposure. People gave to know this isn't like any Supernan infact any comic film that's come before

People will and can know without using the Superbowl or starting tv ads/trailers in February when the film comes out in what June/July. People will know and the SB is not THE end all definitive outlet/answer for them to know that.

People will and can know without using the Superbowl or starting tv ads/trailers in February when the film comes out in what June/July. People will know and the SB is not THE end all definitive outlet/answer for them to know that.

It's not the only outlet but its one if the biggest stages you can put it on so why not exploit that?

It's not the only outlet but its one if the biggest stages you can put it on so why not exploit that?

I agree it is one of the biggest stages and is ideal for getting the word out. However, $$$ is a big factor and sometimes it's just not worth it.

I agree it is one of the biggest stages and is ideal for getting the word out. However, $$$ is a big factor and sometimes it's just not worth it.

Well I think MOS is gonna be a huge hit anyway so it's a risk worth taking

Well I think MOS is gonna be a huge hit anyway so it's a risk worth taking

Not saying that it would be a risk for them if they spent the $$$ on a SB ad cause WB, I'm sure, has it in their budget. They probably just would rather wait closer until the release date.

Obviously a Super Bowl add can only help and not hurt MOS but I think it's effect is overrated. Several movie studios pulled out last year not just WB. The price kept getting higher and with diminishing returns. Many movies with SB ads ended up bombing at the box office. Avengers would have been a hit with or without SB ad.

But like i said. It can't hurt. So if WB puts one out there then great but it's not going to be the end of the world. At least for me.

Obviously a Super Bowl add can only help and not hurt MOS but I think it's effect is overrated. Several movie studios pulled out last year not just WB. The price kept getting higher and with diminishing returns. Many movies with SB ads ended up bombing at the box office. Avengers would have been a hit with or without SB ad.

But like i said. It can't hurt. So if WB puts one out there then great but it's not going to be the end of the world. At least for me.

Well said, and i agree. It would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker if MOS doesn't have an ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"