• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
meteor shower makes sense.

Too Smallvillish for my tates but,
You may be on to something.
I'm thinking about the recent Project Superman comic. Anyone else read it?

Perhaps Zod arrives at the same time Kal-El does, but is captured by the government, overseen by General Lane?

Or maybe...Kryptonians attack Smallville looking for the Kal-El and his rocket?

That damage looks too mild to have been caused by a tornado.

Too Smallvillish for my tates but,
You may be on to something.
I'm thinking about the recent Project Superman comic. Anyone else read it?

Perhaps Zod arrives at the same time Kal-El does, but is captured by the government, overseen by General Lane?

Or maybe...Kryptonians attack Smallville looking for the Kal-El and his rocket?

That damage looks too mild to have been caused by a tornado.

Idk; I mean if Zod had arrived at the same time that a baby Kal-el did, it's hard to believe that the world wouldn't have been under his control by the time Clark was even 10 years old. To think that Zod wouldn't have made his move for the next 20 years or so (when Clark would have aged into adulthood by then) seems more hard to believe than anything else.

I'd much rather Zod come along after Clark is Superman. It would just seem odd, having him arrive on earth the same time as Kal-El.

I'd much rather Zod come along after Clark is Superman. It would just seem odd, having him arrive on earth the same time as Kal-El.

Perhaps they could do the thing that they did with Star Trek, where Zod and Faora leave Krypton at the same time that Clark does, but arrive Earth much later because of them having entered through a wormhole?

joe-manganiello-white-collar-set.jpg

Interesting, two former two-time Superman candidates together on the set for White Collar.

The article states that Manganiello was up for the role twice as well...that I didn't know if it is true.

http://www.yidio.com/show/white-collar/news/true-blood-veteran-joins-cast-white-collar-2912
Thank god they didnt get the part. Both were AWFUL choices. :o

Cool Set pics the way the building looks cut it looks like it could be some misplaced heatvision. Just saying.

This. A red giant explodes light years away and somehow a cloud of debris that used to be Krypton maintains it formation for what would have to be centuries and trillions (yes, trillions, not billions) of miles, and then it hits Earth?

My suspension of disbelief can't stretch like that.

There's also no science into how Kal-El arrives to Earth without being hundreds of millions of years old. And why he can lift up huge objects, without going straight through, why his heat vision is in two beams, and not, his actual field of vision, and why he can turn senses on and off, and as to why he is powered by a yellow star, in how Kryptonite affects him and not Earth life, why Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation do not affect him, and more. But I'm not going to let science ruin a movie about a flying alien.

Typically, the kryptonite travels through the wormhole or space warp the ship takes to get to earth.

Idk; I mean if Zod had arrived at the same time that a baby Kal-el did, it's hard to believe that the world wouldn't have been under his control by the time Clark was even 10 years old. To think that Zod wouldn't have made his move for the next 20 years or so (when Clark would have aged into adulthood by then) seems more hard to believe than anything else.

Ok. How's this.

Movie opens with Jor El vs Zod. Jor El is wearing the traditional battle suit of the House of EL (which we will know as the Superman costume.)
Jor El defeats Zod but Zod escapes. (Imagine Russell Crowe in Superman armor, fighting Michael Shannon. :yay:)
Zod and his cohorts are banished to the Zone.
Kal El arrives in a larger spacecraft, that included objects such as the Zone projector and the House of EL ancestral armor.
The US Gov and General Lane capture every part of the Kryptonian spacecraft, with the exception of little Kal El, who is found by the Kents.
Over the years, General Lane and his task force , led by Lexcorp CEO, Lex Luthor, have been studying the Kryptonian artifacts they found many years ago.
Suddenly, they accidentally activate the Zone and out comes Zod and Faora, and all hell breaks lose.
Clark is forced to reveal himself to the world, but he wears no costume. (Prior to this, he has been doing all the Birthright style rescues, etc.)
Eventually, he locates the Kryptonian objects the government had possessed all these years, including his father's battle suit (Superman armor) and the Zone projector.
Superman, now in his suit, uses the projector and the assistance of Luthor, to trick Zod back into the zone.
Afterward, Luthor and General Lane double cross Superman, and attempt to put him down, but they fail.
The movie ends with Lois writing a story that Superman may not be the alien menace he has been portrayed to be.

There's also no science into how Kal-El arrives to Earth without being hundreds of millions of years old. And why he can lift up huge objects, without going straight through, why his heat vision is in two beams, and not, his actual field of vision, and why he can turn senses on and off, and as to why he is powered by a yellow star, in how Kryptonite affects him and not Earth life, why Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation do not affect him, and more. But I'm not going to let science ruin a movie about a flying alien.
I've said before that I'll buy the flying, laser-eye shooting alien who made it to Earth as a baby. Any movie gets one outrageous idea free of charge.

A Krypton debris meteor shower that hits Earth? No. It's completely ridiculous and its asking me to accept one silly idea too many.

I've said before that I'll buy the flying, laser-eye shooting alien who made it to Earth as a baby. Any movie gets one outrageous idea free of charge.

Most of Superman doesn't make sense. And it's more than one idea, look at my earlier post.

A Krypton debris meteor shower that hits Earth? No. It's completely ridiculous and its asking me to accept one silly idea too many.

But, it's actually just as likely as Kal- El coming to Earth. How does Clark get to Earth, usually, in around 3 years, when Krypton is tens of thousands of light years away?

Most of Superman doesn't make sense. And it's more than one idea, look at my earlier post.

There several ideas that all fall under the title of Superman. I'll buy his abilities, no problem.

But, it's actually just as likely as Kal- El coming to Earth. How does Clark get to Earth, usually, in around 3 years, when Krypton is tens of thousands of light years away?
No, it's not as likely. Clark is in a ship that can navigate and has a propulsion system. A cloud of rocks is just going to keep going at the same rate of speed and they're no where near big enough to gravitationally hold themselves together as a cloud, especially not over light years.

You could always invoke wormholes to explain how Clark got here so fast. Personally, I like the idea of a cryo baby, kept in stasis for decades or even centuries, and that the death of Krypton happened a long, long time ago.

With regards to the partly destroyed buildings, maybe it's damage done by Clark when he misuses his powers? Not where everybody knows it's him and can see him, but something where people don't notice him. Maybe something happens at night with Clark and the next morning the townspeople see it and guess what it could be.

Or maybe Smallville is just one of those crappy small towns in Middle of Nowhere, USA that has buildings, roads, etc. falling apart.

plano-july5-9.jpg

My money is on a tornado, or, maybe later on in the film Zod discovers Superman's secret ID and decides to visit some revenge on Clarks hometown.
The damage is next to each other on two different buildings.

Perhaps a Superman For All Seasons style storm in Smallville, which causes Clark to use his power to help save people for the first time?

There several ideas that all fall under the title of Superman. I'll buy his abilities, no problem.

His abilities are several ideas, you can't exclude what you don't like from the character. Here's ten different ridiculous concepts from Superman.

Ridiculous idea 1:

Exploding Krypton

2:

Kal- El arriving usually three years after destruction.

3:

Turning senses on and off

4:

Heat vision being two beams

5:

Being able to hear all things on Earth

6:

Surviving in space unaided

7:

The source of his powers

7:

How does Kryptonite radiate?

8:

Being unaffected by the three radioactivities.

9:

Holding huge objects

10:

Invulnerable clothing

The only way Kal- El could arrive on Earth as an infant, with Kryptonite, and "making sense" for you, would be to assume that Jor- El could bend our 2-Dimensional space time with two infinite 1 dimensional strings, crossing paths, allowing for something similar to what we call "wormholes" and since the force required to detonate a planet greatly exceeds that to propel a small spacecraft, the debris would travel faster. traversing the curved space-time just like the ship. See, perfectly plausible. Just highly unlikely anybody would care.

No, it's not as likely. Clark is in a ship that can navigate and has a propulsion system. A cloud of rocks is just going to keep going at the same rate of speed and they're no where near big enough to gravitationally hold themselves together as a cloud, especially not over light years.

True enough, but the Oort cloud which is, IIRC 2 light years out. And can go on a 1 million year trek to Earth because of a slight gravitational disturbance, say Krypton is Proxima Centauri, it could feasibly have it's own cloud, that has asteroids pushed to Earth. Whereas on a large enough scale, the universe looks the same in all directions and Earth would be impossible to find with a map.

You could always invoke wormholes to explain how Clark got here so fast. Personally, I like the idea of a cryo baby, kept in stasis for decades or even centuries, and that the death of Krypton happened a long, long time ago.

Cryogenics is the freezing of a dead body in the hopes that it can be reanimated. Kal- El's biological function over the years necessitates his growth, to stay alive he would have to have a small yellow sun with him, in which case, why not send him to a different planet? Or expose all your family to it, so you all survive? So trying to poke holes in things when all things to do with the related subject are ridiculous.

Is it possible we'll see Cavill in the suit in the next couple of weeks? I figure EW will be doing a SDCC issue as early as next week. If you remember Green Lantern was revealed last year on that issue. Does anyone think that is too soon?

No, the costume is likely already finished. Filming begins in less than a month.

So Cavill as Supes on that cover, huh? I guess he's wrapping up the main training then.

His abilities are several ideas, you can't exclude what you don't like from the character. Here's ten different ridiculous concepts from Superman.

Ridiculous idea 1:

Exploding Krypton

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

The source of his powers

7:

8:

9:

Holding huge objects

10:

Invulnerable clothing

on point 3), I've always felt that it would be a better perspective on the character that he cannot turn his senses on and off... that when he reaches maturity, they are always on. It makes some of his powers more of a curse, rather than gifts.

So Cavill as Supes on that cover, huh? I guess he's wrapping up the main training then.

well, there is training, and then there is the full gym that is hidden off camera right next to the set.

well, there is training, and then there is the full gym that is hidden off camera right next to the set.

Yeah, but the basic training to reach his Superman-physique is coming to an end. The rest is just "maintanance". Unless they're shooting Clark-scenes first.

Last edited:

Ridiculous idea 1:

Exploding Krypton

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

The source of his powers

7:

8:

9:

Holding huge objects

10:

Invulnerable clothing

I'd be fine with losing a few of those.

The only way Kal- El could arrive on Earth as an infant, with Kryptonite, and "making sense" for you, would be to assume that Jor- El could bend our 2-Dimensional space time with two infinite 1 dimensional strings, crossing paths, allowing for something similar to what we call "wormholes" and since the force required to detonate a planet greatly exceeds that to propel a small spacecraft, the debris would travel faster. traversing the curved space-time just like the ship. See, perfectly plausible. Just highly unlikely anybody would care.
I'll take a wormhole if a have to, but I have commented in the past that I'm not a huge fan of the idea. If you can bend-space time, more than 2 members of your entire species should have survived.

True enough, but the Oort cloud which is, IIRC 2 light years out. And can go on a 1 million year trek to Earth because of a slight gravitational disturbance, say Krypton is Proxima Centauri, it could feasibly have it's own cloud, that has asteroids pushed to Earth. Whereas on a large enough scale, the universe looks the same in all directions and Earth would be impossible to find with a map.
It can't be Proxima Centauri. That's a red dwarf, not a red giant, and only the giant variety go supernova.

Cryogenics is the freezing of a dead body in the hopes that it can be reanimated. Kal- El's biological function over the years necessitates his growth, to stay alive he would have to have a small yellow sun with him, in which case, why not send him to a different planet? Or expose all your family to it, so you all survive? So trying to poke holes in things when all things to do with the related subject are ridiculous.
You're just being semantic. You damn well what I meant by "cryo." I don't see why making Krypton having been destroyed a long time ago is such a blasphemous idea. I think its a cool little detail we haven't seen before that adds a little scale to the proceedings without actually deepsixing anything thats actually important to Superman's origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"