All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what really interrupts Lois.

zFutrFS.gif

tumblr_lpoauhhCY71qa750u.jpg

I've read that claim a lot, too. So far, they've all been baseless claims. Is your source any different?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/man-of-steel-trailer-superman_n_3097225.html

Starring Henry Cavill as the title man of mettle and buoyed by a pulsing, driving musical score -- which, the Los Angeles Times notes, is a tease of the film's actual score by Oscar winner Hans Zimmer; Warner Bros. confirmed to HuffPost Entertainment that it is ZImmer's work -- the "Man of Steel" presented in the newest trailer is epic.

Not unexpected, but still disappointed .....that MOS will carry on with a Superman weighted done with a pseudo-religious "destiny" to be Earth's saviour.

I don't get that from the trailer at all, and I usually equally hate it when that is the case.

The only thing that even remotely sounds like it might be something like that is the Jor-El line from All Star.

But when you think about it in context, knowing that Jor-El and Lara conceived him naturally and ALREADY had him pegged as this unique and world changing person before they even had to send him off, and then they send him off where they can't follow, knowing everything he would be capable of on earth...

Why wouldn't he include a message full of hope for his sons future, encouraging him to rise above any of the difficulties that he might find on earth (like being shunned) and inspire people/change the world, just as he had hoped might be his legacy on Krypton - because he believes in his son and all he could achieve!

That is the perfect way to do it. It's kind of beautiful.

And it is the perfect balance between his father having no influence on him being Superman, and having too much influence (ala Smallville or the Donnerverse IMO).

Anybody else think that monologue by Lois in the trailer will be a narratin at the end of the movie culminating in Clark walking into the elevator as the doors close and she finishes it using the word Superman?

Yes...she will do the "gordon speech" of the film, but I'm thinking the shot of him flying over earth could be the final shot, rather than the first time we see superman like I initially thought. Sorta like batman begins final shot.

I mean that they are mirrored...backwards.

Clark is facing the other direction.

Don't think they are mirrored. The fan shots aren't from the cameras, and there could be multiply shots and angles for every bit of the scene.

I dug the fact they used the explanation that the S symbol is the symbol of their home back in Krypton and at the same time saying that it means hope.

Don't think they are mirrored. The fan shots aren't from the cameras, and there could be multiply shots and angles for every bit of the scene.

Clark holds up beam facing right:

iui6igGW8SllO.gif

first trailer. Facing left:

man-of-steel-fire-face.JPG

maybe they have multi angles...

What's more, trailers often have "mirrored" shots from the actual movie.

ZS on MOS: "I wanted the movie to be a big movie-going experience, full of action, full of emotion and full of the biggest super hero in the world. I wanted to give to the cinemas of the world a big, giant 'movie' movie. I've been a big fan of the character my whole life. He is the greatest super hero. There's no competition between super heroes, but if there was, he'd win."

:funny: Did you really just say that? In the old movies Superman never felt like Superman to me because it was obvious it was an actor due to the limitations of technology. So no it didn't in anyway feel more real because this is SUPERMAN! The fast movement in MOS doesn't look cartoony at all, it looks like Superman. He's one of the most powerful beings in the universe how do you think he's going to move? It always took me out of the experience when watching the old movies and seeing Superman move slower than an Olympic sprinter. I am someone who is very critical of bad CGI but I really didn't get a cartoony feel from the way Superman moved in the trailer at all. That's probably how it would look if you saw a ´´demi-God`` in battle with your very own eyes.

There has been such an anti CGI sentiment in the past couple of years I feel most people nowadays are actually calling bad CGI when they notice it. It's impossible not to notice it when it's something of that magnitude...Bad CGI are the takes that completely take you out of the film because they are cheap looking and look like cartoon characters superimposed on a scene. Not of that in this trailer...the cgi looks great.

so if the S symbol means hope, what do you think Zod's symbol means?

After having had the trailer digest and seeing it several times over I think the trailer absolutely accomplishes what it needed to and that is show that this is the Superman movie many have been waiting for.

Because of the delays they have had quite some time to refine this movie and it shows in how detailed and rich the visuals are. I do appreciate them not trying to reveal all the action as there seems to be some gigantic action pieces in store which would be much better appreciated on the big screen.

All in all it was a compelling trailer that may have jammed a lot of content in but for the most part it works delightfully well. The music in my view comes off as hopeful and triumphant and has the phrase "The man of tomorrow" immediately pop into my head.

The emotional scenes from this movie seems like they pack quite the wallop too so that's always good to see (even though it has been heavily hinted as being present based on the past trailers).

Where was Lex Luthor the entire time?

well.... :o

vYUd5w6.gif
b9Fix9E.gif

biqXiHP.gif
nb23UH3.gif

With a clearer head, I can now pinpoint the not-as-good stuff:

- Lois's "He never quite fit in" feels crammed in and awkward as hell. I can just picture Amy Adams reading that from a paper in a sound booth.
I think she's supposed to sound like she's reading since that's almost certainly from one of her articles.

Yeah. Except for some of the flares, I would say it's as close to lifelike that you're gonna see in a Superman movie.

You know what else is a refreshing change?

Seeing a Jor-el that is a bit more warm, emotional and full of positive hopes and dreams - in short, a bit more human.

Others may not agree with me, but I've found most previous incarnations have come across a bit cold/detatched, even in their final goodbye moments. I get that it was part of the characterising of the Kryptonian race being an alien one, and that there were showing them to be very different to us, more logical/less expressive with their emotion... but it just made him an unlikeable character to me.

What little we've seen of Crowe's Jor-El is the kind of man that is easily likeable, and I think that makes the fact that he, Lara and their child have to be split up/he has to die so much more tragic.

It's similar to how I felt watching BB for the first time. I'd never gotten a sense of the kind of good, warm man/father Thomas Wayne was until I saw that movie. And by doing that, it made his death so much more of a pull on my heart strings. :)

I think she's supposed to sound like she's reading since that's almost certainly from one of her articles.

This. Makes me think that it's the last line of the movie, Lois Lane narrating the article she's written revealing Superman to the world while he's flying up in the air.

Here's my main gripe with the trailer...it's not the movie!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

As you were.

^ Yeah. I want to be heartbroken when Krypton blows up, and when Superman is struggling to find his place, awe inspired by his feats, and blown away by the fights. That would make it the superhero film of the decade.

This reminds me of the All-Star Superman flight scene to save Pa Kent(though I know it wouldn't be for that reason).

Supes definitely seems like he is going to save someone. He looks anxious and distressed but determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"