All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are definitely there and that is part of the problem. This is supposed to be a new Superman for a new generation - homages to the old model in the film's marketing is not wise.
:hehe:

Not sure if serious.

They are definitely there and that is part of the problem. This is supposed to be a new Superman for a new generation - homages to the old model in the film's marketing is not wise.

Yes, because TDKT's homages to Burton's films had a negative impact. :o

In the latest spot, we can see a number of baddies from Krypton..with one oversized goon near Zod.

How does Superman deal with so many Kryptonians?

Any ideas..speculations..thoughts?

With his fists.:hrt:

I know I'm going to get killed for this but I think that Whedon still has some T.V director sensibilities. This isn't a prop up Man of Steel post, I said the same thing in the Avengers thread.

I like Whedon though and I liked a lot about certain moments during the Avengers action sequence at the end. Snyder has his faults as well but he isn't even slightly a T.V director.

My thoughts exactly. :up:

But most of this new generation has absolutely no idea that this is similar to a poster of a 30 year old movie.

I dunno about that. That poster was used as the basis for most versions of the DVD cover. That's how I know it. From my local video stores where you will still find it on the shelves for rent. I dunno, maybe you are right and I am being overly sensitive because of all the crazy criticisms that keep popping up on here about this or that in MOS being a rehash of Superman I&II or Returns.

However, I will say that I really do like the brightness of the recent posters and banners. It should help MoS's posters stand out on theater walls plastered with dark, foreboding, and destruction filled posters for other summer blockbusters.

Yes, because TDKT's homages to Burton's films had a negative impact. :o

There is a difference between having a subtle homage in the film itself and making homages to the past series in the general marketing for the movie. Also, how did Singer's giant love letter to the Donner films work out for Warner Brothers? (see we can both arrogantly make poor analogies to vastly different situations)

Last edited:
There is a difference between having a subtle homage in the film itself and making homages to the past series in the general marketing for the movie. Also, how did Singer's giant love letter to the Donner films work out for Warner Brothers? (see we can both arrogantly make poor analogies to vastly different situations)

There's nothing blunt about the marketing. You're overreacting just like those fanboys who thought Nolan was ripping off Burton. In the end, was TDKT a love letter to Burton's Batman series? No. So, in essence, your concern doesn't really hold significance. No casual fan will relate to the '79 film anyway.

There's nothing blunt about the marketing. You're overreacting just like those fanboys who thought Nolan was ripping off Burton. In the end, was TDKT a love letter to Burton's Batman series? No. So, in essence, your concern doesn't really hold significance. No casual fan will relate to the '79 film anyway.

How am I overreacting? I never said it would actually affect anything or say that the poster is proof that the movie itself is ripping off Donner. All I said was that callbacks to the past in the marketing aren't the best idea when trying to sell something as new and fresh and never seen before. That is a fairly common sense proposition. You are the one who took one little complaint way too seriously and blew it out of proportion.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/YT]

The posters were disappointing. I guess our best images will be from Walmart and cereal boxes! :whatever:

How am I overreacting? I never said it would actually affect anything or say that the poster is proof that the movie itself is ripping off Donner. All I said was that callbacks to the past in the marketing aren't the best idea when trying to sell something as new and fresh and never seen before. That is a fairly common sense proposition. You are the one who took one little complaint way too seriously and blew it out of proportion.

Even if this isn't a coincidence, 90% of those in the general audience will attribute the material to being new and fresh simply because 1979 was a lifetime ago.

Sorry if I'm a little late on this one but could someone please elaborate on Superman's suit? The suite looks different in most of the images that I've looked at. In some of the set images the suit is blue, whereas other promotional materials the suit looks desaturated. In set photos there is yellow in the shield while the promotional posters have shown just red and no yellow in the shield. Anybody know why exactly?

I agree about the Avengers comments. It did feel a bit TV movie at points.
I think it was just cool to see all the heroes together at once. Avengers has not been all that rewatchable for this reason. It feels a bit formulatic and at times has a tv feel.
j0jpe8.jpg

^ He had to change shirts from crying too much on them. But when I watch SR, I feel bad for everybody involved. Singer's writers, for knowing how far they fell from their acclaimed X-men movies, Singer himself, Routh, Parker Posey in a surprising unattractive role, Superman comics fans, Donner fans who watched the series' tone change from optimism to bleakness, etc. And Supes had his masculinity airbrushed away.

I do like the part when Clark plays fetch with the dog. That was cute.

Last edited:
I'd as soon print out a good fan made one. But if I bought one, it would be this:
ManofSteelPromoArt9.jpg

Coco, none of your videos are viewable.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/YT]

The posters were disappointing. I guess our best images will be from Walmart and cereal boxes! :whatever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Coco, just put the bolded part in the youtube brackets. You don't need the rest of the URL. That is why your videos never work.

Also when I looked at this image, I gasped aloud
clarkandmartha.jpg

Everything, except MAYBE the eyes are a living recreation of Lee's art. From the medium-sized lips, to the thin cheeks and STRONG jawline, this pose is like a comic come to life. I might need a change of pants when the movie's done :D

I love this image too. The people behind him are squinting and cowering looking scared, but Clark is standing there with the chest puffed out and a steely look of determination as if to say "bring it on!" :D

I don't get the hate for the direction in Avengers. Did it feel like a TV show to some because it was shot in 16:10? I can only wish Man of Steel was shot in 16:10; the whole "16:9 being more epic" is hogwash.

I loved Avengers, some people just have to piss on stuff cause its this DC vs Marvel mentality that I just don't get

I think it was just cool to see all the heroes together at once. Avengers has not been all that rewatchable for this reason. It feels a bit formulatic and at times has a tv feel.
j0jpe8.jpg

lmfao .. from the comments on the MoS UK tv spot on Youtube:

Tony Stark: "We have a Hulk."

Superman: "That's cute."

:woot:

I loved Avengers, some people just have to piss on stuff cause its this DC vs Marvel mentality that I just don't get

Some people just can't seem to praise without putting something else down.

[YT]4LcpERalJ50[/YT]
Thanks guys.

Zod hates the land of Waldo imposters.
zodwillfindmeme.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads