All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly makes Superman II so difficult to top or even the first one for that matter?

People need to be able to look beyond the nostalgic feeling they have for a movie. I love Batman '89 like crazy,
one of the first movies I remember seeing as a kid. As much a I love it, Batman Begins is the better movie.
It doesn't mean I think any less of '89. Get over it! Superman I & II can and I think, will be topped.
People can never get over nostalgia ... that's why whoever you watched in your childhood was the greatest ever ... people still spout of Babe Ruth as the greatest baseball player ever, despite being dead for 65+ years. Very few people alive ever saw him play. It's just hammered over time that it's common place to just go with it.

It's why old movies are looked at so fondly. Again S & S2 are good movies, but I don't like to compare them to the current ones as much because they're made on a different playing field.

^ To be fair, that was Lester's doing. But Donner had the turning back the world ending-twice ;)

Which was also absolutely silly. Aside from THAT'S NOT HOW TIME WORKS, it means that Superman can literally just undo anything. THAT is too powerful.

The guy seriously thinks Superman II is better than Superman: The Movie? Must be one of the few.
As for "Commander Zod" and "Terence Mann". :doh:

"Not as good as Terrence Stamp?" I personally think Shannon will be a much better Zod as his
character appears to be much more developed in MOS, not to mention a hell of a lot more
intimidating. And pointing out the Superman beard thing is very picky indeed. It's a shame someone
can come away from a movie with something so insignificant stuck in their head.

If he prefers campy and cartoony... good for him, but nowadays people prefer more realistic, complex characters, I'm pretty sure MOS will be the best Superman movie yet, the first two have not aged that well to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MykcTydtbfg&feature=player_detailpage

The guy seriously thinks Superman II is better than Superman: The Movie? Must be one of the few.
As for "Commander Zod" and "Terence Mann". :doh:

"Not as good as Terrence Stamp?" I personally think Shannon will be a much better Zod as his
character appears to be much more developed in MOS, not to mention a hell of a lot more
intimidating. And pointing out the Superman beard thing is very picky indeed. It's a shame someone
can come away from a movie with something so insignificant stuck in their head.

8/10 is a very decent rating nonetheless. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it more that this guy if Superman II is the pinnacle lol

I enjoyed Superman II somewhat more than I did the original. No harm in that. They were both great films.

As for that guy's review, I only watched a little of it. He's too specific about the things he doesn't like; and I don't want that kind of crap in my head before I see the film for myself. Like you said, nitpicking about the beard is pretty damn ridiculous. Here you have an alien with incredible powers and technology at his disposal. Is it really that far-fetched to imagine Clark shaving somehow? Use your imagination, people!

Which was also absolutely silly. Aside from THAT'S NOT HOW TIME WORKS, it means that Superman can literally just undo anything. THAT is too powerful.

Shouldn't everyone on the planet have died with that stunt he pulled? That part is what really ruined Superman: The Movie for me, besides all the goofy comedy.

In another 30 years the our kids will be making fun of us for saying MOS is the best Superman movie ever when the new version is out.

I love that people are apparently so insecure over this movie and how people respond to it, that once AGAIN old Superman movies are being nitpicked.

Dude has every right to love SII more than MOS, just much as most of you have the right to decide that MOS will be the greatest thing ever without having watched it, as abused as that right has become.

I enjoyed Superman II somewhat more than I did the original. No harm in that. They were both great films.

As for that guy's review, I only watched a little of it. He's too specific about the things he doesn't like; and I don't want that kind of crap in my head before I see the film for myself. Like you said, nitpicking about the beard is pretty damn ridiculous. Here you have an alien with incredible powers and technology at his disposal. Is it really that far-fetched to imagine Clark shaving somehow? Use your imagination, people!

Exactly right :up:
We should take that as a very good sign if those are the kinds of things the guy mentions as negative points.

Originally Donner never meant to use the turn back time ending twice, it was meant for the second one but he used it in the first one and was meaning to come up with another ending to the second one when it came to that.

Everything about that 14 seconds was... Off. The "S" (duh), Lois' reaction shot, Superman's reaction shot. The fact that someone thought of that, AND it was actually filmed.

Eh...you had to be there I guess. I saw SUPERMAN II opening night in '81(yeah, I'm old), and the crowd went wild when Superman threw the cellophane S. In fact, the crowd went wild every time Superman did anything to hurt the villains, and went ape **** when he went back to the diner and took out the bully. SUPERMAN II was one of the biggest crowd pleasing movies I've ever seen in a theater(and I saw it five times that summer, all with the same audience reaction). It still remains one of my favorite movie going experiences.
If I like MOS even half as much, I'll be happy. :)

Chris Reeve was perfect for the Donner style film and I loved 1 and 2 at the time... But Reeve would not have worked as well as Cavell in this more gritty athletic version...IMO

I don't even compare the two versions or even SR. They are all different animals to me.

And as Snyder said...JL will have its own Superman and Batman so another rendition and style to enjoy. Maybe JL will have big square jawed heros more cartoon like even motion capture. Would still be cool see.

What I see so far from MOS I like.

....Is it true Superman accedently kills Jenny and therefore he becomes best friends with jimmy?

...I kid. :yay:

And the whole Super kiss and Lois forgets everything. Just lazy writing, honestly. :whatever:
Can you imagine the amount of flack a movie would get nowadays for such stupidity?

Yeah, that part was awful. It's one of the things about the original films I didn't care for -- the fact that they portrayed Superman as this nigh-omnipotent being. He's powerful as all get out, but he has limitations. He's not a reality warper.

I like silly fun movies but I just never thought the Superman movies were anything special. When people speak about the first two films with such reverence, I respect their opinion and enjoy hearing or reading different opinions about those films but that still doesn't change my feelings on them. I just don't get it.

The Superman movies being lame to me doesn't mean that this film is going to be good. It could completely suck for all I know.

The reviewer's not the only one who cares about the beard. [YT]IJ5DwzVdbWE[/YT] :lmao:

Originally Donner never meant to use the turn back time ending twice, it was meant for the second one but he used it in the first one and was meaning to come up with another ending to the second one when it came to that.

Yeah cause that makes is SO much more acceptable lol

I love that people are apparently so insecure over this movie and how people respond to it, that once AGAIN old Superman movies are being nitpicked.

Dude has every right to love SII more than MOS, just much as most of you have the right to decide that MOS will be the greatest thing ever without having watched it.

Seriously. This slamming of the critics because they dare to criticize fanboys' favorite new movie du jour (which they haven't even seen) is so old. What's really weird is that, over time, the critics' consensus tends to become the board's consensus, so all the mockery of critics for being outdated snobbish fools tends to be for naught.

Eh...you had to be there I guess. I saw SUPERMAN II opening night in '81(yeah, I'm old), and the crowd went wild when Superman threw the cellophane S. In fact, the crowd went wild every time Superman did anything to hurt the villains, and went ape **** when he went back to the diner and took out the bully. SUPERMAN II was one of the biggest crowd pleasing movies I've ever seen in a theater(and I saw it five times that summer, all with the same audience reaction). It still remains one of my favorite movie going experiences.
If I like MOS even half as much, I'll be happy. :)

How did the crowd feel about Terrance Stamp's Zod?

Chris Reeve was perfect for the Donner style film and I loved 1 and 2 at the time... But Reeve would not have worked as well as Cavell in this more gritty athletic version...IMO

I don't even compare the two versions or even SR. They are all different animals to me.

People on SHH! have an inability to use context. I enjoy the Donner films for what they are. 70's films aren't uber "plausible" punch fests with heroes brooding over their place in the world.

Last edited:
And as Snyder said...JL will have its own Superman and Batman so another rendition and style to enjoy. Maybe JL will have big square jawed heros more cartoon like even motion capture. Would still be cool see.
Um, Justice League if it gets made, will have Henry Cavill. They're not going to have 2 actors playing Superman at the same time.

Seriously. This slamming of the critics because they dare to criticize fanboys' favorite new movie du jour (which they haven't even seen) is so old. What's really weird is that, over time, the critics' consensus tends to become the board's consensus, so all the mockery of critics for being outdated snobbish fools tends to be for naught.
Slamming the critics isn't old, it's stupid. We don't know if this movie is any good yet. It's a movie, some will like it and some will not. Arguing that someone's opinion is wrong because they liked Superman 2 or any of the old films is ******ed.

"Don't feel bad if you can't get into a 3D screening", that made me LOL.
I know, right?!? I'm not a fan of 3D, so i'll be sure not to cry if I miss one. :yay:

Yup. Remember how fanboys were sending death threats to critics for bashing TDKR?

Now half those people think that TDKR is complete trash.

I like silly fun movies but I just never thought the Superman movies were anything special. When people speak about the first two films with such reverence, I respect their opinion and enjoy hearing or reading different opinions about those films but that still doesn't change my feelings on them. I just don't get it.

The Superman movies being lame to me doesn't mean that this film is going to be good. It could completely suck for all I know.

Everything sucking!? :eek:
The nightmare scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"