All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you want to see what a full blown romance with Lana could be like, I suggest Smallville.lol

Honestly, I'm somewhat against the idea of giving importance to characters that have never been viewed as such in the comics and Lana as far as comics have said, was someone that Clark mainly didn't have a thing for most of their comic book history as far as I'm aware of, and when she became an adult, well let's just say that a lot of her actions concerning Superman/Clark weren't admirable.

:up:

Plus, I'd argue that from a marketing and profitable standpoint, going down the route of nurturing a on screen romance between Superman/Clark and Lois in this franchise would benefit the filmmakers if done right since fans of the relationship certainly won't be getting what they want in the mainstream comics anymore, and SV was the last live action version where the couple was shown and by the time MOS released, it would have been 2 years since.

I'm not saying that there should never be chemestry between Lois and Superman, nor am I suggesting she shouldn't be a love interest at all. As far as MoS goes, I just want the story to focus on Superman and gaining a friendship with Lois rather than a romantic relationship. Though in sequels, I would like for there to be veriety. To me, there is a lack of really good female characters in the Superman universe and I see this as an opportunity to build on that.

I'm not saying that there should never be chemestry between Lois and Superman, nor am I suggesting she shouldn't be a love interest at all. As far as MoS goes, I just want the story to focus on Superman and gaining a friendship with Lois rather than a romantic relationship. Though in sequels, I would like for there to be veriety. To me, there is a lack of really good female characters in the Superman universe and I see this as an opportunity to build on that.

If Amanda Waller wasn't wasted on GL, I wouldn't have minded her being in MOS; she'd be a great way to introduce things like the Suicide Squad and Checkmate into the MOS Universe, thus allowing them to have a loophole in bringing in other DC characters that aren't necessarily tied to Superman but that aren't well established heroes like Batman or whatnot.

Just watched 300 again, and it had me thinking...

What do you guys think about blood being in the battle scenes in MOS? I'm really wondering if Snyder will use blood, and if so how much of it? Personally I think a good amount of blood would kick ass, 300 was a straight up blood bath, just wondering how much he would be able to get away with?

The only blood I ever remember seeing as far as Sups (non-comics) was in Sups 2 when Reeve lost his Powers and was punched in the mouth in the diner.

Everything looks good except for #8. I am sick to death of Lois being a love interest. It's the same old boring story thats been told for years. She should be nothing more than a friend. Otherwise we would end up with that abomination in SR. I'd rather a Kryptonian love interest be created in a sequel.

SR was actually good. In terms of the Supes/Lois relationship, it was framed – quite deliberately – as bittersweet and unworkable. So the notion that this constitutes “feel good” romance for the female demographic is, I think, a tad overstated.

To a certain extent, I agree that most all of the Supes/Lois “configurations” (from the chaste flirtations of the 1940s to marriage) have been explored. So the familiarity is a bit of a liability. But as Hope said, this is a reboot. Everything is being reset – including Lois Lane. If they established “Jane Smith” as a different love interest, we’d all know that this was “Lois” anyway.

If my memory serves, Superman and Lois have never shared a proper kiss in any of the five “Donnerverse” movies. Either she’s unconscious or he is (or CK is administering the amnesia effect :o). Maybe that’s what’s been missing all this time: an old fashioned, I’m-crazy-about-you, romantic kiss. :cwink:

Just watched 300 again, and it had me thinking...

What do you guys think about blood being in the battle scenes in MOS? I'm really wondering if Snyder will use blood, and if so how much of it? Personally I think a good amount of blood would kick ass, 300 was a straight up blood bath, just wondering how much he would be able to get away with?

The only blood I ever remember seeing as far as Sups (non-comics) was in Sups 2 when Reeve lost his Powers and was punched in the mouth in the diner.

I'm assuming your referring to blood in a Supes vs Zod battle.

I'm not opposed to their blows being strong enough to draw blood/mark each other. The level of invulnerability is not all that important to me.

But I would hope even if it were the case, that a) it would be a big moment, when Supes sees his blood for the first time and b) it's not too much... I don't wanna see a blood bath, no.

I think that looking dishevelled and 'beaten' is important in emphasising the drama of an action scene, but it can be achieved in other ways (messed up hair, pained facial expressions, careful movements, rubble and dust over hair and clothing etc)

Last edited:
It's going to be PG:13 so a blood bath won't be allowed.

Bleeding and beaten-up superbeings would be a nice aspect of the edgier take on Superman as well as Superman himself seing his own blood for the first time could make a good scene.

It's going to be PG:13 so a blood bath won't be allowed.

And that is exactly what I am wondering. No so much a blood bath, but when violence is in a Snyder film, blood seems to go hand and hand with it. I'm not to familiar with how the rating system works as far as PG-13 (and what defines how much violence is allowed), and that's the exact reason I asked, just a wonder with how much Snyder could get away with here.

Will there be blood flying through the air when/if there is blood, or will the blood just be cosmetic to their faces?

Can anyone remember a PG-13 movie being really bloody?

I'd like to see Lois already dating someone before Superman shows up...then when she catches a glimpse of the Man of Steel she dumps her boyfriend like a hot potato

Bleeding and beaten-up superbeings would be a nice aspect of the edgier take on Superman as well as Superman himself seing his own blood for the first time could make a good scene.

Exactly my thought on why I thought of the blood in the first place. This is supposed to be a more realistic take on the Character, and just the style and more adult like approach to MOS in general screams for more realistic battle scenes as-well.

Realism would call for tad bit bloodier battle scenes as apposed to simply dirtied up faces.

Last edited:
SR was actually good. In terms of the Supes/Lois relationship, it was framed – quite deliberately – as bittersweet and unworkable. So the notion that this constitutes “feel good” romance for the female demographic is, I think, a tad overstated.

To a certain extent, I agree that most all of the Supes/Lois “configurations” (from the chaste flirtations of the 1940s to marriage) have been explored. So the familiarity is a bit of a liability. But as Hope said, this is a reboot. Everything is being reset – including Lois Lane. If they established “Jane Smith” as a different love interest, we’d all know that this was “Lois” anyway.

If my memory serves, Superman and Lois have never shared a proper kiss in any of the five “Donnerverse” movies. Either she’s unconscious or he is (or CK is administering the amnesia effect :o). Maybe that’s what’s been missing all this time: an old fashioned, I’m-crazy-about-you, romantic kiss. :cwink:

Actually, I was refering to the super-love child in SR.

Yeah how much blood is allowed in PG-13 films? :huh:

Technically it's not human-blood although I imagine the same color. Dunno if that makes a difference.

I don't think we need to see masses of blood. A Superman film does not need to be a gory film - at least, not at this point. Perhaps if Doomsday ever makes an appearance in future things will change :D

I'd be happy though with a super-powered fighting with Zod leading to at least some slight bleeding - maybe from the nose, or a split lip kinda thing. Something which will shock Superman, who has probably never felt pain or seen his own blood until that point. And it will give him some idea of how powerful Zod is, and how powerful he can be given that he possesses the same powers as Zod but has probably always been fairly constrained with what he can do.

Yeah how much blood is allowed in PG-13 films? :huh:

Well, I did some research and found this quote on a "Film Forum" when asked about blood in a PG-13 film...

"If done correctly you could even get away with PG if there is only Violence in the film.

Like the TMNT movie that came out back in '07, it had tons of sword fighting and violence in it, but it just got a PG, so I wouldn't worry about bloodshed as an instant R.

You need a combination of violence, language, and adult content (frank sexual discussion, drug references, alcohol or tobacco consumption) to get an R. Violence alone won't get it, unless it's Hostel level stuff that is ubiquitous through the film."

From what I read, Snyder, if he wishes to do so, can get away with a good amount of bloodshed in MOS and still keep it at the PG-13 rating required.

I don't think we need to see masses of blood. A Superman film does not need to be a gory film - at least, not at this point. Perhaps if Doomsday ever makes an appearance in future things will change :D

I'd be happy though with a super-powered fighting with Zod leading to at least some slight bleeding - maybe from the nose, or a split lip kinda thing. Something which will shock Superman, who has probably never felt pain or seen his own blood until that point. And it will give him some idea of how powerful Zod is, and how powerful he can be given that he possesses the same powers as Zod but has probably always been fairly constrained with what he can do.

BINGO! You took the thoughts right out of my head! :woot:

Last edited:
I don't mind Superman bleeding, but no, it doesn't need to be a bloodbath like 300 or Immortals or Kill Bill.

the Superman: Doomsday animated film showed Superman bleeding from the fight with Doomsday ( and Lois' worried look on her face ). it was done tastefully in that film and was also used to show Lois' concern for Superman and that Superman was in legit trouble.

I won't mind if blood is handled in that manner in MOS.

On a similar topic, if Superman is bleeding then he's obviously been cut/injured ......... so how quick should he heal? Should the cut seal itself up (Wolverine style) within a few seconds, as it was often shown in Smallville, or would he need to fly up into direct sunlight to achieve that - like in Superman Returns?

Or should his healing ability not be as powerful as previously shown, and it takes a while for him to recover from injuries?

Whilst part of me wants to see his powers at their peak - and thus have him heal fairly quickly - I don't want him to heal so quickly that his injuries really have no impact or effect on him.

That's true. Luckily there are censors who will keep our children from knowing there's blood inside living creatures.
Yes, I too dislike the ratings system. I think it's more harmful for children to see violence without blood than with.

Don't be silly. The censors obviously think it's perfectly fine that children should have it ingrained into them from an early age that you can use all manner of weapons, carry out kung-fu and various other attacks on enemies, and there will be absolutely no consequences because no-one bleeds :D

Don't dare let them hear a curse word though!!

On a similar topic, if Superman is bleeding then he's obviously been cut/injured ......... so how quick should he heal? Should the cut seal itself up (Wolverine style) within a few seconds, as it was often shown in Smallville, or would he need to fly up into direct sunlight to achieve that - like in Superman Returns?

Or should his healing ability not be as powerful as previously shown, and it takes a while for him to recover from injuries?

Whilst part of me wants to see his powers at their peak - and thus have him heal fairly quickly - I don't want him to heal so quickly that his injuries really have no impact or effect on him.

I think he should heal up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"