Andor General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

This is the Star Wars series I care about least. Cassian was kind of a boring character. We’ll see. I’m much more interested in the upcoming Obi-Wan series.
I'd almost agree if not for Alan Tudyk returning as K-2SO. He was one of the best parts of Rogue One. I didn't care much for Cassian either but if K2 has a big supporting role then I'll be watching with interest.

Yeah K-2SO was by far my favorite character in RO and if Alan Tudyk is coming back than by all means sign me up for this. I like Diego Luna too as an actor and he was great in Narcos: Mexico, but I didn't care all that much about his character in RO and I'd say the same about Felicity Jones's character as well. However, if this show ends up being on the same level of quality as The Mandalorian than it could really be something great IMO.

Like the rest of the movie, Cassian grew on me during re-watches of Rogue One as I didn't find him to interesting at first.

But there are little lines of dialogue that hint of the darkness in his past and yet he still has somewhat of a moral compass. So I hope that's what the show explores, especially since he was in the Rebellion since being a child.

Add Alan Tudyk as K-2 and I personally am looking forward to this.

If they really aim for a 2021 release, it only could be late 2021. But how will this work with the release season 3 of Mando (also earliest October/November)?

Sounds filming started:

4px21p.gif

LOL!

Wow that was a nice surprise!

Not much to go by yet, although production seems legit, love the concept shot of that Star Destroyer on it's side in an Imperial fleet-yard?
I like that it's packaged as 12 ep, means they have a solid story to explore here. Which seems fitting for the time period and somewhat sacrificial character.

At 1:03 is that (what later becomes) Luke's Yavin Celebration jacket?

That is one of the aspects I loved about Rogue One, was the familiar Yavin temple setting where the A New Hope Rebellion was ensconced.
Really felt as if during the time, there was another camera which just for an instant turned away from the "real" story, in the other direction, and caught a whole other side.

Hopefully this captures some of that again.

I love that they are building on the line; - "Everything I did, I did for the Rebellion"
This guy was walking a dark path , seemed to carry the weight of every kill, he believed there was no living with, or coming back from. Hence he and his crew knew they were the only ones right for what was essentially an all or nothing, suicide mission.

Curios to see what he did to get him to that point.

Last edited:
Loved the sizzle reel and 12 episodes sounds awesome. Bit worried about no Tudyk/ K-2 announcement yet but surely they can’t do this show and not include him a team some point?

Loved the sizzle reel and 12 episodes sounds awesome. Bit worried about no Tudyk/ K-2 announcement yet but surely they can’t do this show and not include him a team some point?

Yeah, Tudyk not being mentioned was a bit strange as Deadline, other outlets and Tudyk himself confirmed he was returning to the series.

Alan Tudyk To Star In ‘Rogue One’ Disney+ Series; ‘The Mandalorian’ Gets Launch Date – Deadline

If he isn’t, maybe they decided to go into a different direction.

if he isn’t in, than my excitement for this dropped a lot...

I don't suspect KS0 was like... Andor's childhood freind or the like.

When we get closer to the time frame of R1 then it's time to see how we got this duo. But first... Who is Cassian and what makes him tick is more on my mind.

it’s probably not so far away of the R1 frame, since they announced that the actress for Mon Mothma will return

I wonder if the season will have 12 episodes, or are the showrunners and Disney planning on making 2 six episode seasons.

Yeah, Tudyk not being mentioned was a bit strange as Deadline, other outlets and Tudyk himself confirmed he was returning to the series.

Alan Tudyk To Star In ‘Rogue One’ Disney+ Series; ‘The Mandalorian’ Gets Launch Date – Deadline

If he is.
Yeah the whole original announcement back 2019 D Expo, kind of hinged on their reunion

I'm guessing that's still a part of it.

Was actually hoping his back-story would include how Andor and K2 met arc.( the comic book version was pretty lame)
4q730y.gif

A great aspect I loved about Andor's character; he's a rebel soldier "programmed" and tasked with so many kill orders, we see he's realizing he's losing his own humanity.
Yet somewhere along the line we know he re-programs a literal cold metal assassin droid, by design a killing machine, to be his best friend LOL! ...and as potentially more humane than himself.
Intentional or not, I love the irony of that duo.

Last edited:
The sizzle reel, featured what appears to be the new UK stagecraft "Volume" we knew they were building three more around the globe. A second in LA, plus London and Australia,
The London Volume seems to be up and running and in use for shooting the Andor series.
Also apparently where Obi-Wan will shoot.

4qmgxm.gif

So \we'll get plenty of new environments. Same as Mando.

4qni51.gif

However they also built a pretty substantial practical out door set, which seem for repeated use.
I wonder if this will be the main Rebel HQ?
Is this show just before the Rebels settled at Yavin?
Could this is be the Dantooine base Leia name dropped, they had been forced to abandon?

Last edited:
Yeah K-2 seemed pretty essential to Cassian as a character for me, so he has to play some part in this at least, even if it is the last few episodes of the season.

I'm curious about this just because I have no idea why they're doing it. I can't find the hook for this show anywhere. Cassian was probably the least interesting character in Rogue One, with the least interesting history and most familiar affiliation. Pick anyone else from that crew and the show would sound better. I mean no disrespect to Cassian fans; I just didn't think there were any. He's fine, I'm sure Luna is great, I dunno. I would genuinely much prefer that pitched Rose Tico show.

you’re going to be missed on Narcos: Mexicoseason three.

I’m going to miss it, too, but to be honest, as an actor, it was quite demanding. It was two very intense years of my life. I’m happy now to move to this other character [Cassian Andor] that I also have a great connection with. It allows me to play material that is not as dark as [Narcos: Mexico]. (Laughs.)
Based on that ^ statement, I don't think this (and the character) will be as grim dark as some anticipate.
Rogue One co-writer Tony Gilroy would be writing the pilot for the series in addition to directing multiple episodes
That Gilroy is so heavily involved, and if they are going into Andor's Fulcrum Spy Identity, I'm guessing it will be more like the Gilroy Bourne Identity series (which I enjoyed). Which weren't so dark, more action spy thriller, with a main protagonist simultaneously trying to figure out and questioning his own role, will, and identity, in something that's spun way beyond his control.

Which leads pretty great into his character appearance in R1.

Last edited:
Based on that ^ statement, I don't think this (and the character) will be as grim dark as some anticipate.

That Gilroy is so heavily involved, and if they are going into Andor's Fulcrum Spy Identity, I'm guessing it will be more like the Gilroy Bourne Identity series (which I enjoyed). Which weren't so dark, more action spy thriller, with a main protagonist simultaneously trying to figure out and questioning his own role, will, and identity, in something that's spun way beyond his control.

Which leads pretty great into his character appearance in R1.

What does one mean by "grimdark" in this context in the first place though?

We have our parameters on Andor from R1... He's not a saint. He was party, by his own admission, to some stuff few could stomach his whole life according to Rogue One.

And... Lots were more than happy with that.

What exactly is "grimdark" about R1? Cuz that is what I want in tone more or less from the series with Andor at the center.

My use of "grim dark" is in response to those I've seen comparing him to the likes of the Punisher (not here in other threads). Or a ruthless killer without remorse, because of their interpretation his opening scene.
Of all the new things, this is the one I’m the most excited about. ... I see a kind of “Punisher” thing maybe here. It could be really poignant but also really cool, a counterpoint to some of the kid stuff.
It is an interesting take because we don't often get "dark" heroes, anyone who believes in their cause. But what makes it right I wonder? Anakin says something similar about his new Empire, and I'm sure Hitler believed the same thing for his new world/Empire.
That is why this how may face more adversity than their other shows, unless they decide to scale back his darkness by not murdering people in cold blood. etc.
We'll see.
Pretty innocuous vid, but seems (to me) to be a trend of people anticipating this will be some grim dark take)

Yet I disagree with that ^ "grim dark" assessment of the character.
To the contrary, although this is a character who goes to a dark place, that is in fact because he feels remorse.
That is "the cage he carries with him" that Chirrut speaks of.
We instantly see the heavy weight of that kill, on him, and for the rest of the movie.

4q730y.gif

His series will likley explore how he gets to that point where he can pull the trigger.
Again I think the Bourne Identity movies will be more the template.

Last edited:
My use of "grim dark" is in response to those I've seen comparing him to the likes of the Punisher (not here in other threads). Or a ruthless killer without remorse, because of their interpretation his opening scene.
Yet I disagree with that "grim dark" assessment of the character.
To the contrary, although this is a character who goes to a dark place, that is in fact because he feels remorse.
That is "the cage he carries with him" that Chirrut speaks of.
We instantly see the heavy weight of that kill, on him, and for the rest of the movie.

4q730y.gif

His series will likley explore how he gets to that point where he can pull the trigger.
Again I think the Bourne movies will be more than template.

Well... I would assume that was... A given.

He's a lead in a SW show and he's not someone like Boba Fett, literally premiering as an antagonist/villain.

Was there really some kind of mass "Andor is Frank Castle" push by fans online anywhere? Seems odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"