Arrow Arrow General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Dinah will start taking martial arts classes at her Dads request after the **** she went through in episode 2.

I could see her become an early version of Black Canary at the end of season 2.

If she starts taking karate lessons they better not show her beat up some thug at the end of the same episode :doh:

Maybe have her father be a friend of Ted Grant.

So who are the characters we got on the way again? Deathstroke, Firestorm, Huntress, who else?

And I HOPE they're not trying to make his little sister into Speedy. If so I hope she's just holding us over until Roy gets into the mix. Maybe his sister checks into a program where she meets Roy. But that's just me being a stickler for details. I won't mind either way but, eh.

I hope Hal makes an appearance.

Firestorm is not in the show.

Deathstroke and Deadshot are expected to return.

Huntress and Felicity Smoak are recurring characters for the moment.

Thea will become Speedy, but Roy Harper will be introduced, too.

There's a possibility we'll see Hal Jordan before he becomes a Green Lantern.

i thought they wern't using firestorm after all since he violate the shows "no powers"policy?

I like Katie Cassidy. She can only get better. But the stuff with her dad.. and most of the conversations in general thus far..I don't know, maybe it's just the dialogue in the script and not the actors themselves, but it felt soap-operaish, to me.

I think we saw an improvement from episode 1 to episode 2, hopefully that upward trajectory continues but I do expect some soapier leanings between Ollie and Laurel given it's on the CW.

Diggle is cool and I like the interactions between him and Oliver. The worst thing Amell has going for him is that damned voice over. Can't stand it. I think they did it less ep. 2 than the pilot, but I just want to watch him do what he has to do, not talk about it like the audience is a bunch of idiots, imho.
I agree and I'm yet to see anyone say anything positive about it so hopefully the producers fade it out, Diggle becoming a sort of partner come confident for Ollie would help the transition.

It also feels like it's only a matter of time before we get the obligatory confrontation between him and tommy merlyn (who i can't stand so far) about laurel and that doesn't really do nothin for me.
I don't read Green Arrow but from what I understand Merlyn is the "other side of the coin" enemy nearly every hero has, now I don't know how close this guy is to comics Tommy but the thing I find hard to buy is that a woman like Laurel would remotely fall for him, he's such an obvious cheesy and shallow playa type, plus it's hard to see him as a physical rival to Ollie.

I am interested in the archer from the preview though. I was hoping Deathstroke would have more of a mask along the lines of Teen Titans. Something more solid and not cloth like. Still, he looks pretty cool and can't wait to see him on screen. I hope his debut lives up to the potential of the stills that have been shown.
I am digging Deathstroke's look and I just hope his first fight with Arrow is not a big let down like the skipfest that was Arrow vs China White.

**I agree about Ollie/Thea I think think the stuff with them was the best character stuff we've gotten so far though. Holland has come along way since The OC and her lines thus far are stinging and sound genuine. I think they have developed a good chemistry even from the pilot to ep. 2 that hasn't really clicked quite yet with ollie and the rest of the characters he interacts with, save diggle.
She has surprised me, I mean she was ok on the OC but I figured we'd get a similar character here with Ollie replacing Ryan, but so far she has brought a rawness to Thea I wasn't expecting.

Wow what was the garbage that was on here?

The stuff about Katie Cassidy's looks.

How would it be "sudden" or "random" when we JUST met this character?! We don't know what's random or out-of-character for her yet, because before this, we had never witnessed her facing any kind of danger before. And I wasn't suggesting she should be able to take out the assassins on her own, just that she display SOME kind of inner-strength and skills other than turning into a scared little girl at the first sign of trouble. At least show some resourcefulness of her own. That scene was their opportunity to establish (for the first time) how Dinah Lance handles a crisis. And she handles it like every other damsel in distress. Disappointing, considering what she's supposed to become at some point.

Ollie was also acting scared until he had no choice but to act, plus we are only on ep 2, if this serves as a plot point for Laurel to take up martial arts and maybe learning to fire a weapon I think it's better the audience of non comic fans get to take that journey with her than her already being in full ass kicking mode.

^Felicity Smoak is firestorm's mother. She will be on the show probably acting in some tech capacity for Oliver. People just then assume by extension firestorm will show up but that probably will not happen.

How would it be "sudden" or "random" when we JUST met this character?! We don't know what's random or out-of-character for her yet, because before this, we had never witnessed her facing any kind of danger before. And I wasn't suggesting she should be able to take out the assassins on her own, just that she display SOME kind of inner-strength and skills other than turning into a scared little girl at the first sign of trouble. At least show some resourcefulness of her own. That scene was their opportunity to establish (for the first time) how Dinah Lance handles a crisis. And she handles it like every other damsel in distress. Disappointing, considering what she's supposed to become at some point.

It makes her much less realistic if she had combat training to that degree. There is no logic for it at this point, given that she is an academic right out of law school. I think Black Canary is light years away anyway, if this version of the character is even supposed to become Black Canary. Quentin Lance would likely have to be murdered first.

Nevertheless, this show is about Arrow and he does need a damsel in distress like all superheroes. In this series, for better or worse, they picked Dinah Lance for that role. It isn't the same character from the comics. The name change and altered story hints at that.

Would remind people of Smallville when we were supposed to believe that Lana Lang learned karate lol

Or how now we're supposed to buy her as a tough street cop in "Beauty and the Beast" ROTFL

Exactly. It would have been that ridiculous and would have ruined the character.

I don't mind Dinah not having any fighting skills or abilities in the show. That's because aside from the name, she is a completely different character from the Black Canary of the comics. Heck, even the name isn't completely the same since she is addressed as Laurel throughout the whole show and her actual name (Dinah) isn't even brought up. She is pretty much an original character with the name of a character from the comics and even then, that name isn't used. I think it's pointless to assume she's going to become Black Canary. If it ever does happen, it will be long from now.

What I would've personally done is make Laurel an original character then I would've brought in Black Canary later in the series with her martial arts skills and Canary cry already established.

I would've done the same thing with Merlyn too. I would've made Oliver's best friend an original character then I would've brought Merlyn later in the series. Merlyn maybe would've been one of the people that trained Oliver on this island. It was a really stupid move to make Merlyn his friend. There is no way I can see this Merlyn becoming the Merlyn of the comics. Not only I don't see the potential for a motivation to why he would start to hate Oliver and become a supervillain but by the time he comes to that decision, Oliver is already years ahead of him in terms of skills, abilities, and training.

Dinah and Merlyn are my biggest problems with this series from an adaptation point of view along with the name, though I got over that for the most part.

I wonder how much of a role the Triad is going to play. Looking at Arrow's rogue gallery, there are a surprising number of Asian villains to choose from; from Natas and Shado to maybe even Cheshire, on top of China White.

Also, a quick check of the DC Wiki shows there are a number of archery-themed villains to choose from. Which means, in my opinion, I feel Merlyn is better served in his current position as Ollie's foil. He is essentially what Ollie would have become had he not gotten trapped on the island; right down to his relationship with Laurel. As such, any antagonism between the two on the show would actually be more dramatic if it remained strictly non-superhero related. Plus, it makes the show more multi-dimensional than just being purely about Ollie's vigilantism.

And while we're on the subject of villains, I came across a really cool, D-list villain that originated in Green Arrow and fits with the more realistic style of the show: Onomatopoeia; a serial killer who imitates sounds. I think the concept has a lot of potential for a show like Arrow.

@Hunter Rider...Yeah Katie Cassidy looks fine, I don't know what those guys were saying.

Are people confusing Firestorm and Firefly?

They could be shaping Laurel up to be Black Canary, but the Golden Age Dinah Drake version instead of the current Dinah Laurel Lance Black Canary. The original Canary, Dinah Lance's mother, had no Canary Cry or any other superpowers.

Also, for good measure, Golden Age Black Canary(Dinah Drake) wore a blonde wig amd was actually black haired. Her husband, and father of Laurel, was GCPD detective Larry Lance. Is Laurel's father's name Larry in the show?

Last edited:
Either way, you dont have Dinah Laurel Lance, no matter if she goes by her middle name or not and have her around to be just the helpless love interest. Gail Simon and others have worked to hard to make her, her own character. Ill give them a season or 2 but if they never get her out of her current role, it would probably be enough for me to stop watching.

Thea's the hottest girl on the show IMO.

Pretty sure that fairly soon here, Laurel will lose her father, not be able to get justice for him through legal means, and that, combined with Green Arrow's involvement in the whole mess, will be the impetus for her to become Black Canary.

Either way, you dont have Dinah Laurel Lance, no matter if she goes by her middle name or not and have her around to be just the helpless love interest. Gail Simon and others have worked to hard to make her, her own character. Ill give them a season or 2 but if they never get her out of her current role, it would probably be enough for me to stop watching.

I'm pretty sure they've said that she will take up the mantle, and that it wouldn't be "as soon as they hope, but sooner then they think."

I assume even if she does become Black Canary that they wont give her powers, which kinda sucks :(

They'll find a way to make BC but in a believable world a la Scarecrow in BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"