Arrow Arrow Season 2 Episode 15: "The Promise" Rate and Review Thread

dude this ^& just keeps getting better and Better!!
cool points
1) freaking Slade in the boiler room of the ship with the mask laying into Ivo's men!that was cool!
2) The freaking ship's name " Amazo"!
3) Roy with the hood when sara said dont start a fight with him and dude has that " well i cant promise that" look! oh yeah!

.... and Diggle with the S-SQUAD! I freaking cant wait!
love this %^&

Loved-LOVED-Slade in that mask.I hope we see him sitting around the ship with the mask on as he loses himself more and more.

Best episode of the series.

Until the next one airs :woot:

I know what you mean. That's like the ONE and ONLY thing that I would literally change about all of this. It's not really a bad idea, it's just that the execution for that idea was a bad one.

They should have just made Shado into Slade's LI on the island to begin with, with her returning his feelings while keeping it platonic between her and Oliver, thus when she died, it would actually make a lot of sense of why he was so devastated by it.

Exactly. They weren't even together. So he basically turns evil over infatuation. The only reason why they somewhat pulled it off is because of Manu Bennett's performance + Slade was never all there to begin with, lol.

The only reasons as to why I could possibly buy into Slade's whole reasoning for going to the dark side is that:

1. The Biggest Factor would be the Mirakuru having warped his mind significantly. I mean Slade always had anger issues and a dark side, but unlike Roy, he allowed himself to be consumed by it.

2. I think it's not so much him having lost the supposed "love of his life" but more about the sense of betrayal he feels from Oliver in having lied to him like that and being over the edge about betrayal since billy Wintergreen.

I really don't like that the whole Slade fallout was over a woman that Oliver was dating not him. It would've held a lot more weight if Slado and Shado were together and Oliver jumped in front of Sara and inadvertently got Shado killed.

Otherwise the action was insane in this episode. I'm even more excited to find out what happens on the island now. And why Oliver thought both Slade and Sara died.

That's the one I assume they would move him into is what the hint is talking about.

Born on a Monday...- Grundy poem/Cyrus Gold
Someone else survived the island- Slade
Amanda makes an offer- Suicide Squad
Not all hoods are green- Roy

A better use for that clocktower- Thought this might have been the hint to Clock King but maybe it means a new base.

Now we wait on these

What is the question you should have asked?
Ollie is not the first vigilante.
A blank expression.
"Archer"
"Rise"

I liked the episode much better then last week. Less soap opera drama and more focus on Oliver works for me

So much has happened, it's hard to believe we still have 8 episodes left.

I hated the reasons for Oliver and Slade being enemies because of Shado - that's similar to how Clark Kent and Led Luther became enemies because of Lana Lang in Smallville.

I wonder, do you guys think that Present Day Slade knew that Sara had actually survived her fate from the island and was now back in Starling City? Slade looked like he was shaken up for a brief second when seeing Sara walk down the stairs.

I can't tell if he was surprised to just see her there or if he was surprised that she was even there to begin with.

Enjoyed the episode, but I think Guggenheim overpraised it when he said it would make last year's finale look like a student film. Personally, I was hoping for more surprises.

I appreciate the effort to at least try to make the Slade/Ollie fallout more than the contrived '...but, but... I LOVED her!' stuff. It's still full of holes, but whatever.

That was some serious tension in the mansion and a nice build toward more. Then, the preview for next week hit and it was all :shock. Bring it.

This was a pretty good episode. Now, I have my reservations about trusting the producers and what they say, but one thing they've said in the past has stuck with me. They said that Slade's end-game is something Oliver won't expect. If that's the case, then there's something else in play and Slade is using the 'Shado's death' incident as smoke screen for his real purposes. This Slade seems far more cunning, far more.... well, awesome to be simply still grieving for Shado.

Felt sorry for Oliver this episode. He tried every little tactic he could without coming out and telling his family the truth to get Slade away from them. His SOS was awesome, though. I'm also glad that they had Sara take a leadership role in Team Arrow. This paves the way not only for more interaction for the team, but also preludes the promise that the Arrowcave won't be an Ollie-run dictatorship (so to speak) much longer. That promise is another reason I think we won't be seeing Sara die. It also gave us insight into the fact that Sara clearly is not, as some people suspected, working for Slade. Something tells me, with how she said, "it's not a voice you forget", that Slade might've let his new crew have some liberties.... it'd also give some history to her thing about sex predators (something I share, which is why I'm admittedly biased in Sara's favor).

The battle for the freighter was great, and the ship running into the shallows due to Slade and Oliver's quick fight on the bridge was damn cool; that explained why, in episode 1 of this season, the ship was in the shallows but sunken. But the best part, for me, was when Slade took command of the ship and proclaimed himself captain. That was.... awesome. I don't want to come off like Devon on Chuck, but there's few words and awesome is one of the few that can describe it. I'm looking forward to how Oliver and Anatoli become friends (because I suspect they'll be on that island together for a while).

My question is, who was it that took out Diggle? I've heard some people speculate Huntress, but I doubt it. She's too unpredictable and focused on her own revenge. I hope we'll find out who that was soon.

As for Slade's expression when he saw Sara..... I honestly can't decipher it. It could've been surprise, anger, or a sense of triumph in seeing that the woman Oliver saved is still alive. The problem is, if Slade wants to make Oliver suffer for making the choice, wouldn't he also want to make Sara suffer for being the reason for Shado's death? That's always been my theory, so that's why I don't think she's the ultimate target. If anyone is, it's Thea. Slade himself saw that Moira and Oliver's relationship is not the best, but not only saw the concern and desperation when Thea came when the two were having a contest of wills, but also likely heard the concern for Thea as opposed to the flat monotone at the end of the last episode.

All in all, this episode has proved worthy of the praise in my mind, and I look forward to seeing how things turn out in the future episodes.

Enjoyed the episode, but I think Guggenheim overpraised it when he said it would make last year's finale look like a student film. Personally, I was hoping for more surprises.

I thought he was talking about the season finale. So I was on a whole other playing field.

Slade was great in this episode. I feel they confirmed that Felicity is Ivo's daughter. Who else was feeling Ivo? I loved him.

Caity Lotz's acting...[BLACKOUT]OMG, that was God Awful!!![/BLACKOUT] WITH AN EXPONENT!!! I was dying, she basically ruined a good portion of it with her horrible delivery. Love her BC, when she doesn't get too many lines.

This was a fantastic episode. I was seriously impressed. 10/10. Although I agree that Slade's motivation is eye roll inducing, Bennett sells it wonderfully.

I thought he was talking about the season finale. So I was on a whole other playing field.

Slade was great in this episode. I feel they confirmed that Felicity is Ivo's daughter. Who else was feeling Ivo? I loved him.

Caity Lotz's acting...[BLACKOUT]OMG, that was God Awful!!![/BLACKOUT] WITH AN EXPONENT!!! I was dying, she basically ruined a good portion of it with her horrible delivery. Love her BC, when she doesn't get too many lines.

I got the feeling Felicity might be Ivo's daughter as well.... but I hope they don't go for that just because it'd be too cliche.

The delivery of the line post-Slade reveal was definitely off.

I blame the writing and directing for that as much as I blame her. There could've been a lot of different ways to pull that off alot better than they did.

I blame the writing and directing for that as much as I blame her. There could've been a lot of different ways to pull that off alot better than they did.

You should blame her, she's seriously a terrible actress. Her lines are always delivered terribly and she has the same expression always.

That's why I'm on the 'Make Laurel BC' bandwagon. Sarah is just cringeworthy as an actress. Cassidy at least has shown a range of emotions so far. Lotz doesn't show much besides the scrunched up face.

Katie Cassidy would suck as Black Canary.

She only potrays one emotion well and that's being a b****.

I appreciate the effort to at least try to make the Slade/Ollie fallout more than the contrived '...but, but... I LOVED her!' stuff. It's still full of holes, but whatever.

Seems like a lot of people become villains as of late because of the loss of a significant woman in their lives...

1. Padme for Anikan

2. Tommy's Mom for Malcom

3. Ra's A Ghul's Wife in Nolan's Films

4. Rachel Dawes for Harvey Dent

5. And while she wasn't physically dead, Ivo was revealed in this episode to have a wife who was the primary reason for his crazy crusade

Honestly, if it were up to me...I would have established things like this for Slade and Shado.

Let's just say, to get it out of the way, that the mother of Slade's children (Jericho) already passed, so we know what the status is of that relationship.

Shado would have looked at Oliver as more of a sibling than lover, with her affections being directed towards Slade instead.

And since this is the CW drama, let's make it more dramatic. Let's say that Shado was in early pregnancy with Slade's kid, and Slade found out a little while before she died.

If they had gone with all of that for Slade's stance towards Shado, it would make a HELL OF A LOT MORE UNDERSTANDABLE as to why Slade was off the end, even with the Mirakuru affecting him.

You should blame her, she's seriously a terrible actress. Her lines are always delivered terribly and she has the same expression always.

That's why I'm on the 'Make Laurel BC' bandwagon. Sarah is just cringeworthy as an actress. Cassidy at least has shown a range of emotions so far. Lotz doesn't show much besides the scrunched up face.

Laurel is not very likable. I'll take a mediocre actress that sometimes does well enough ad BC over Laurel as BC any day of the week.

It's also up to the director to guide his actors. If you know your actors strengths (which Caity Lotz has) you know not to slowly zoom in on her face when she delivers a line that's cheesy by nature.

But I can forgive all that because she's a lot more likable than Laurel. Nobody cares about Laurels range when all you're getting from her is "b**ch".

Also this episode was easily 10/10 for me.

At the end when they showed all the monitors displaying the Queen mansion for a second I thought it was gonna be the bat cave.

In my head, Slade didn't develop a thing beyond a "only girl here :hubba" deal when she took care of him after getting exploded.

I agree with you. Her facial expression when she hears him was fine. The dialogue should have been different.

How about having her take more than 1 second of listening to realize it's Slade and not saying saying "Wait, hold on, I know that voice" and then going on to explain.

How about instead she stands there frozen for a few seconds and then says "Ollie and his family are in danger, we have to move, now" and then when she goes to get the knife and asks Diggle what's the biggest gun, that's when she says who it is and why they are in danger.

To me it was just too much of a rush job explanation

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"