Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

What info? All we know is that Trank is directing, Vaughn is producing, the screenplay comes from Simon Kinberg, Jeremy Slater, Seth Grahame-Smith, Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor), its probably based on Ultimate FF judging by the casting, Miles Teller (Spectacular Now) and Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station) may be playing Reed and Johnny and Allison Williams (Girls) may be playing Sue.

Aside from the Ultimates bit, there's nothing above I can really pick on. I'd prefer 616 but it being based on the Ultimates doesn't ruin the movie for me. At all.

Not a fan of any of the casting rumors, ultimates, the choice of location of filming, very skeptical of trank etc. My enthusiasm for this really probably couldn't be much lower. Sounds like a waste of a film thus far. Nothing has remotely excited me about this

If it actually gets made, I just hope it isn't awful. I don't think it has any prospect of being great, or even good; I just want it to not suck too badly.

It says a lot about how badly they mistreated the FF the first time around that this is as much enthusiasm as people can muster.

Not a fan of any of the casting rumors, ultimates, the choice of location of filming, very skeptical of trank etc. My enthusiasm for this really probably couldn't be much lower. Sounds like a waste of a film thus far. Nothing has remotely excited me about this

"A waste of a film" based on the minuscule details that we have? We don't even know what the story will be like. And the rumored actors are good as is Trank.

I see too many premature notions of what this movie will be here, most of them based on the fact that Marvel/Disney isn't doing it. But Fox makes good movies too guys.

^Fox has been making lots of good films, and few of Marvel's films are as awesome as Chronicle, imho.

I hoping for a faithful adaptation of the Ultimate FF story, that takes advantage of some of the missed opportunities there. I'm hoping for a story that has the heart of Chronicle and Kick-Ass with the brains of Sherlock Holmes and X-Men First Class and with the action of all those combined over the production quality of recent Fox films like Planet of the Apes and Prometheus.

That's what they're setting up, and that's what they're capable of, so that's what I hope for. The only hiccup is that it's being rushed, so if the script has been polished by March, then it might be a bit of a train wreck.

^Fox has been making lots of good films, and few of Marvel's films are as awesome as Chronicle, imho.

Yeah I liked all their recent movies, specially First Class and The Wolverine.

I think its great that we have more than one studio doing these films. If Marvel/Disney had all the rights then 2014 would only consist of Captain America The Winter Soldier and Guardians of The Galaxy. Instead we get Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Days of Future Past and Guardians of The Galaxy.

I just want good movies. Don't really care who makes them.

That was pre Marvel Studios and pre Disney takeover though. Back then Marvel allowing SS and Galactus in FF2 did make sense, but since then the game has changed for all concerned.

The "game" may have changed but the contracts have not since they pre-date any "change" - so I still think Fox has much more freedom with these things and Marvel does not have that much of a say.

But I guess we will never really know...

I hoping for a faithful adaptation of the Ultimate FF story, that takes advantage of some of the missed opportunities there. I'm hoping for a story that has the heart of Chronicle and Kick-Ass with the brains of Sherlock Holmes and X-Men First Class and with the action of all those combined over the production quality of recent Fox films like Planet of the Apes and Prometheus.

That's what they're setting up, and that's what they're capable of, so that's what I hope for. The only hiccup is that it's being rushed, so if the script has been polished by March, then it might be a bit of a train wreck.

With the start of shooting being pushed back 9 months from June 2013 to March 2014 how exactly is this being rushed? Add to that that the reboot was first "announced" several years before, it seems like they are taking more time than they have with most of their other Marvel films...

While I agree with most of this, I am not sure why the choice of filming location is giving you any concern.
The first two were shot in Vancouver [with a little NY location work as needed] and part that worked just fine - I see no reason to think they can not make this location work as well.

With the start of shooting being pushed back 9 months from June 2013 to March 2014 how exactly is this being rushed? Add to that that the reboot was first "announced" several years before, it seems like they are taking more time than they have with most of their other Marvel films...

Same thing I was thinking. Doesn't seem rushed at all to me.

The "game" may have changed but the contracts have not since they pre-date any "change" - so I still think Fox has much more freedom with these things and Marvel does not have that much of a say.

But I guess we will never really know...

That is the truth of it at the end of the day. The details for these deals are closely guarded secrets so all we can do is best guess our way around them.

I might be right in my assessment of how things stand, or I could be miles off. I can't say for sure, but I just think its logical that when they made these deals they were treated as separate 'IP's, rather than something Fox can just cross-over as and when they please (My comparison of novel authors works not being treated the same being an example).

And I would think that Marvel pre-Iron Man were more willing to co-operate and help the studios holding their properties (mutally beneficial at the time) than they would have been afterwards.

Since then they have shown a more aggressive stance: Ie trying to trade an extension for Daredevil for the rights to the Surfer & Galactus. On paper that looks like a rather one sided deal....I mean I like DD and think there's potential there, but the big G and the Surfer?

Kinda like trading a Pinto for a Cadillac...

I try not to speculate on the various deals with the studios because its all way over our heads in the end. Like I remember reading about Namor still being over at Universal and remembering how many times over the past few years I expected a Namor cameo in the Marvel/Disney movies.

i don't necessarily hope it's bad but it will fail commercially with where they have it releasing right now.

Crap. This is a really tough poll to choose.

If Fox delivers the train wreck I think they are or even if it is not terrible but "only" an uninspired effort, yes I hope it fails miserably and I hope they lose millions and millions of dollars because of what they will have done to the potential of these characters. But as we know the GA can be unpredictable. It still might gross money.

If the film is truly excellent and the Fantastic Four is realized in a way I always dreamed they could be then of course I would want it to succeed. However nothing I've heard has given me any reason to believe that will happen.

Having said that I voted:

"It is a great movie suited to these classic characters."

That is the truth of it at the end of the day. The details for these deals are closely guarded secrets so all we can do is best guess our way around them.

I might be right in my assessment of how things stand, or I could be miles off. I can't say for sure, but I just think its logical that when they made these deals they were treated as separate 'IP's, rather than something Fox can just cross-over as and when they please (My comparison of novel authors works not being treated the same being an example).

And I would think that Marvel pre-Iron Man were more willing to co-operate and help the studios holding their properties (mutally beneficial at the time) than they would have been afterwards.

Since then they have shown a more aggressive stance: Ie trying to trade an extension for Daredevil for the rights to the Surfer & Galactus. On paper that looks like a rather one sided deal....I mean I like DD and think there's potential there, but the big G and the Surfer?

Kinda like trading a Pinto for a Cadillac...

Also we must keep in mind that when these deals were made - the FF option goes back to the early '90's - who ever owned Marvel was pretty much willing to give these things away, so I suspect the deals are very lop sided in the studios favor.

Since then the Marvel name has proven bankable, but in a lot of these cases the damage had already been done as far as the options go.

Sure, now that they are their own studio and especially since Disney has bought them, they are more aggressive and protective about the characters they do own, but sadly the first family seems to still be out of their reach.

I would love to see that change...

Delays, horrible casting, rewrites, and moved release dates. Not to mention Mark Millar's involvement. What good news have you heard?

But you've heard zero regarding story which is really all that matters.

See, I can say with certainty that there are things about the next Avengers movie I'm not crazy about. No Hank Pym, Tony possibly building Ultron, the Maximoffs having no backstory due to rights issues...that's knowing something. With Trank's FF we know nothing.

Oh, my bad, I hadn't really thought of it like that. No hiccups then.

i don't necessarily hope it's bad but it will fail commercially with where they have it releasing right now.

You think so? A week after Jurassic World and two weeks before Terminator 5? It seems like a great spot. If FF is better (or at least perceived to be better) than Jurassic World, that film won't matter much, and if Alan Taylor doesn't do much better on Terminator than The Dark World, FF could still get a good little push out of its third and fourth weeks.

You know what would *really* be interesting? If they did a big movie for a mid size budget, just like Chronicle was a mid-size movie on a teeny tiny budget. That would pretty much ensure financial success with that creative team and that summer spot.

Regardless, much better than March... and the fact that they considered releasing it March shows that it's not going to be a $200M thing.

Yeah I liked all their recent movies, specially First Class and The Wolverine.

I think its great that we have more than one studio doing these films. If Marvel/Disney had all the rights then 2014 would only consist of Captain America The Winter Soldier and Guardians of The Galaxy. Instead we get Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Days of Future Past and Guardians of The Galaxy.

I just want good movies. Don't really care who makes them.

This. This right here. People imagine that if Marvel had all the properties that they'd have no competition and could easily release 4 movies a year and that the quality would still be the same. There's zero chance of that happening. If Sony didn't have the rights to Spider-Man, they'd have another big summer blockbuster property. Instead of comic books being what get the big summer blockbuster $150M budget treatment it'd be YA books like we see with Divergent, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, The Book Thief and Harry Potter, only with more budget and production values and higher caliber actors. You'd also see Artemis Foul, Maximum Ride, and other great stuff. These companies will find things to adapt, and the only reason they aren't spending $200M and big film company marketing on all these properties is because they already have superhero films to adapt.

Last edited:
FF suits MCU style perfectly. Humor, action, and family friendly. All those things would be much welcomed there. But we also live in reality. And in that reality, Fox still has the rights. Likewise, they don't want to blow money on FF and have another flop on their hands if they can't make a good film for whatever reason. Let's just let it play out. It's clearly a high stakes poker game right now and I am sure both parties aren't budging an inch. But the ball is in Fox's court, and I believe they will try to work out an extension if things keep progressing as slow as it has. I wish them the best, but I really don't know what kind of outcome to expect with this kind of time table while keeping their slim budget in check.

What I really want most from any movie is good writing that doesn't rely on crass content, a cast that's willing and able to work as a team, and a coherent vision for the final product from everyone involved at the start.

With this new reboot, I want them to stay closer to the original source material, and stop relying on gimmicks to sell the emotional side of the tale. One of my biggest problems with the 2005 film was Jessica Alba, who came across as more sexpot than scientist. In the comics, Sue functions as brains and bravery, not just a butt and breasts. Having her strip to remain invisible was a cheap and insulting ploy aimed at 12-year-old boys, nothing more.

Another thing they got wrong was casting Ioan Gruffudd for Reed. He's a good actor, but was simply too young at the time (being 32 in 2005). There's supposed to be roughly ten years in age between Reed and Sue, then another five or so between Sue and Johnny. Traditionally, it seems Ben's about Reed's age, too. This would place Reed and Ben at 40, Sue at 30, and Johnny at 25.

Victor von Doom's another story entirely. While I liked Julian McMahon in the role, the "disgraced corporate titan" angle fell rather flat. The guy's supposed to be a great sorcerer on par with Dr. Strange, not a Donald Trump wannabe.

But you've heard zero regarding story which is really all that matters.

See, I can say with certainty that there are things about the next Avengers movie I'm not crazy about. No Hank Pym, Tony possibly building Ultron, the Maximoffs having no backstory due to rights issues...that's knowing something. With Trank's FF we know nothing.

Yeah I'll agree with you there but Marvel's got a great track record of bringing the characters I love to life. And Joss Whedon has delivered my favorite comic book movie of all time - unseating Superman: The Movie which had been my favorite for over 30 years.

Fox has no such track record. I'm not won over by First Class and Wolverine. I'm just not.

Regarding story, I've heard enough to indicate that this will be Ultimate FF and not the FF I grew up with that I love. The casting news also validates this. I do not want to see a young Fantastic Four or a zit faced Reed Richards. We already had a young pushover Reed borrowed from the Ultimate series in the Tim Story films. I want Lee/Kirby/Byrne/Hickman. I want the real deal.

I'll hope for the best but I'm not happy about this news at all. And if the FF is subpar, I will be merciless to Fox because the FF are my favorite super team and it would be a dream to see them as part of the MCU. That's not happening I guess so please forgive me if I'm not going to grab pom poms over this.

You think so? A week after Jurassic World and two weeks before Terminator 5? It seems like a great spot. If FF is better (or at least perceived to be better) than Jurassic World, that film won't matter much, and if Alan Taylor doesn't do much better on Terminator than The Dark World, FF could still get a good little push out of its third and fourth weeks.

You know what would *really* be interesting? If they did a big movie for a mid size budget, just like Chronicle was a mid-size movie on a teeny tiny budget. That would pretty much ensure financial success with that creative team and that summer spot.

Regardless, much better than March... and the fact that they considered releasing it March shows that it's not going to be a $200M thing.
You're forgetting about Inside Out which comes out the same day.

You're forgetting about Inside Out which comes out the same day.

Pixar has been hit or miss lately ever since their stupid decision to make Cars 2 based around that stupid character played by that stupid idiot Larry the Cable Guy.

Inside Out looks like classic Pixar. And Pixar is still a force you don't want to open up against. I think they're being arrogant especially when this movie has virtually no hype.

I think they're being arrogant especially when this movie has virtually no hype.

It will have plenty of hype in one year, specially if Trank takes to Twitter like Mangold and Singer did with production stills and major announcements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"