Assuming Fox Will be Making this Film, What Outcome do You Hope for?

It all depends.If they stick to the casting rumors/Ultimate story,then I hope it'll fail.If the put out a faithful product,I want it to be a success.

"A waste of a film" based on the minuscule details that we have? We don't even know what the story will be like. And the rumored actors are good as is Trank.

I see too many premature notions of what this movie will be here, most of them based on the fact that Marvel/Disney isn't doing it. But Fox makes good movies too guys.
Trank directed an "ok" film. And the casting rumors as of right now have me not excited in the least. As of right now Im judging what we know... And right now Im less than thrilled

While I agree with most of this, I am not sure why the choice of filming location is giving you any concern.
The first two were shot in Vancouver [with a little NY location work as needed] and part that worked just fine - I see no reason to think they can not make this location work as well.

I can see how Vancouver can sub in for nyc... But baton rouge is a bit of an odd choice imo

Maybe they plan to follow up on Foggy's 'alligators in the sewers' theory from Daredevil. Shared universe!

Expect the worse hoping for the best FF yet.

Wasn't the movie's first and only official year of release 2015? Any hype prior to 2014 would be premature.

The only thing premature was the reboot announcement itself. They've been stalling ever since.

Dr. Doom (if he is the villain) needs to be done right if Fox wants to salvage the film.

Inside Out looks like classic Pixar. And Pixar is still a force you don't want to open up against. I think they're being arrogant especially when this movie has virtually no hype.

As long as Larry the Cable Guy stays away from Pixar, they have a chance to return to greatness.

Wasn't the movie's first and only official year of release 2015? Any hype prior to 2014 would be premature.

2015 was the only release year, but they announced the reboot in 2009: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58594

So that's why those of us who have watched absolutely nothing happen for the past four years are somewhat skeptical that everything is going to happen in the next year.

It might happen, but it's far from the sure thing that those who have only paid attention recently think it is.

Last edited:
So are they going to go with the whole "Johnny and Sue are adopted?"

It will have plenty of hype in one year, specially if Trank takes to Twitter like Mangold and Singer did with production stills and major announcements.
Yeah because that hyped up Wolverine so much. :whatever:

Twitter is not going to increase the hype for this film. This isn't even on Captain America's hype level...hell I think there is less excitement for this movie than there was for Wolverine which went on to gross $130m DOM off a $120m budget. Even if you're looking forward to the movie don't fool yourself into believing this has any hype whatsoever on a big scale. I thought it would be lucky to get $350m at that March spot. Now I think unless they move it somewhere else it will do Green Lantern/Hulk numbers.

It all depends.If they stick to the casting rumors/Ultimate story,then I hope it'll fail.If the put out a faithful product,I want it to be a success.

Then you should go for option 1: "It is a great movie suited to these classic characters."

If they go with the rumours and Ultimate route, that isn't option 1 (imo).

The only thing premature was the reboot announcement itself. They've been stalling ever since.

Yup. We can only assume they were initially intending on putting this one out sooner, but after Wolverine Origins met with mixed reactions and First Class disappointed at the Box Office perhaps they thought it better to draw it out as long as they could (see which way the wind is blowing, so to speak).

Figures now that they do seem to be gearing up to going ahead either the deadline is nearing, or they are more confident it is worth the investment (after Avengers, why not?), or maybe a bit of both.

By giving it a release date they have taken it a little further than Daredevil at any rate. Given the competition around then though I wouldn't be surprised if that's pushed back further still.

As long as Larry the Cable Guy stays away from Pixar, they have a chance to return to greatness.

If ever there would have been an ironic time for Pixar to release an 'Incredibles 2', it would have been June 19 2015...

Trank directed an "ok" film. And the casting rumors as of right now have me not excited in the least. As of right now Im judging what we know... And right now Im less than thrilled

Chronicle being awesome aside, are there any people involved that make bad films? Trank? Vaugn? Even Michael B. Jordan or Miles Teller? I know Simon Kinberg did X3 and Jumper... but since then he's kinda been knocking it out of the park.

Inside Out looks like classic Pixar. And Pixar is still a force you don't want to open up against. I think they're being arrogant especially when this movie has virtually no hype.

World War Z (67% fresh at RT) did quite well with a relatively modest advertising campaign "against" Monster's University, which also did well. It's a risk, yes, they're betting that they will have the better film, coming off a proven concept (Ultimate FF is proven, no matter how many 616 fans dislike it) with a fleet of top notch creators. It's likely this won't be marketed to the pre-pubescent crowd or parents of young children, so... oh, well.

And Inside Out, set inside a girl's head, is most definitely not classic Pixar, it is a risky type of story, and difficult to market. It will be a big win for Pixar if they pull it off, but again, may not impact Fantastic Four in the least bit.

I can see how Vancouver can sub in for nyc... But baton rouge is a bit of an odd choice imo

The Ultimate FF doesn't really hang around NYC much. It's just where they have a skyscraper. They're usually busy in the Negative Zone or Atlantis or maybe Latveria or something.

This makes sense.

Yup. We can only assume they were initially intending on putting this one out sooner, but after Wolverine Origins met with mixed reactions and First Class disappointed at the Box Office perhaps they thought it better to draw it out as long as they could (see which way the wind is blowing, so to speak).

Figures now that they do seem to be gearing up to going ahead either the deadline is nearing, or they are more confident it is worth the investment (after Avengers, why not?), or maybe a bit of both.

By giving it a release date they have taken it a little further than Daredevil at any rate. Given the competition around then though I wouldn't be surprised if that's pushed back further still.

Why do I *have* to assume that Fox wasn't waiting for the right pitch? Can't I research and find out that they didn't like Michael Green's story and when they got Josh Trank on board they've been moving forward steadily since then? I don't think you're analyzing this logically, dude.

Why I'm Excited about The Fantastic Four Reboot
1) Ultimate Fantastic Four was a great book, plain and simple
2) Josh Trank (Chronicle was 85% fresh, while doing big sci fi spectacle on a teeny tiny budget, doesn't sound like much a fluke to me)
3) Matthew Vaugn (Kick-Ass 77% Fresh, XMFC 87% Fresh)
4) Mark Millar (Original Ult FF writer, writes stuff that makes for good films)
5) Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station 94% fresh, oscar buzz)

I can understand people being wary of the script, since it's been through so many hands. I can understand people simply not being interested in the Ultimate Fantastic Four... that all makes sense. But when you get a bunch of people together who are on fire in their careers right now, you get a good movie, it's that simple.

So are they going to go with the whole "Johnny and Sue are adopted?"

Chances are, yeah. It'll probably be dealt with very quick and dirty... like, Rhodey being recast was.

If ever there would have been an ironic time for Pixar to release an 'Incredibles 2', it would have been June 19 2015...

Disney/Pixar still has time to put an 'Incredibles' short on the front of 'Inside Out'. But the FF reboot, if FOX puts it into production, will likely move from the summer. They're not going let it open in third place.

The Ultimate FF doesn't really hang around NYC much. It's just where they have a skyscraper. They're usually busy in the Negative Zone or Atlantis or maybe .

I have absolutely no interest in seeing the ultimate universe on film... Im fine with a few influences like we saw in avengers , spiderman etc... But even then its about only 20% at most ultimate.

I despise that universe and have no desire to see a young fantastic four and satyr doom on screen

Why do I *have* to assume that Fox wasn't waiting for the right pitch? Can't I research and find out that they didn't like Michael Green's story and when they got Josh Trank on board they've been moving forward steadily since then? I don't think you're analyzing this logically, dude.

Ok, you are right in that you don't *have* to assume anything but what you choose to from whatever information there is at hand.

All we do know is the reboot was announced 4 years ago with Micheal Green hired to write the sceenplay.

Trank was assigned in July last year, with Jeremy Slater now named as writing the script shortly after that (Trank co-writing iirc), and in January of this year Millar was praising up the script Trank had been working with.

Apparently not quite up to scratch though as in February THR reported Seth Grahame-Smith was signed on to 'polish' it. We then had scheduled shoots announced that never happened, and last month we got news Simon Kinberg was brought in to overhaul the script Millar had been praising...There's been a number of casting rumours, but nothing confirmed.

So...You can assume what you want from all that. If you want to assume Fox were just waiting for the right pitch all this time that's fine by me.

I look at how far back they announced the reboot, what has happened since, and choose to assume differently.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing the ultimate universe on film... Im fine with a few influences like we saw in avengers , spiderman etc... But even then its about only 20% at most ultimate.

I despise that universe and have no desire to see a young fantastic four and satyr doom on screen

Same here. I know some fans liked all that stuff but I thought the UFF was really quite terrible. 'Decompressed' (otherwise known as 'padding for the trades') bloated storytelling at it's worst, imo.

All subjective in the end tho'. What floats one persons boat will sink another's.

Same here. I know some fans liked all that stuff but I thought the UFF was really quite terrible. 'Decompressed' (otherwise known as 'padding for the trades') bloated storytelling at it's worst, imo.

All subjective in the end tho'. What floats one persons boat will sink another's.

Upon this we agree...!

I agree. Some updates are fine and necessary, but completely changing the characters as Millar did in Ultimate FF would be crap.

There's a reason these characters lasted 50 years. Millar's goat-legged Van Dam would have been very quickly forgotten if he wasn't leaching off of the real FF's mojo.

If they want to completely re-invent things, give the FF rights back to Marvel and make Mark Millar's 'Sensational Six' or something.

Ultimate FF is proven, no matter how many 616 fans dislike it
1) Ultimate Fantastic Four was a great book, plain and simple

Ok,I wanted to go back to these points as the lobbying for the Ultimate version of the FF is somewhat disturbing for those of us that simply disliked it (and it being evident the studio may well be taking that route).

Now the 2nd of those declarations is subjective (and one I disagree with) but I thought I'd check out the actual sales, seeing as the 'proven' Ultimate Fantastic Four no longer even has it's own book.

Now UFF did indeed start off well (as did all the Ultimate books), easily outselling the regular 616 title up until it hit the mid 30's or so in issue numbers, then it steadily fell behind the 616 books, eventually being cancelled after Ultimatum (source for this info can be found here: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

So you have a book that did well for about 3 years worth of issues, declined rapidly, and is now cancelled, against one that's still going after 50 years (sales for all comics today are still terrible compared to what they were doing before the boom & bust. Today's best numbers would have been cancellations back then).

So Yeah...with those numbers in mind I know which one I'd personally be looking at considering as the 'proven' formula. Fad's come and go, class lasts. 50 years and still going is something proven to last. 3 good years and now cancelled? Says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"