Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER User Review Thread

Discussion in 'Avengers: Infinity War' started by Spider-Fan, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Read at your own peril!!! There be spoilers!!!

HOW CAN YOU LEAVE ME ON THAT?!? Seriously Marvel, you are cruel and you SUCK!!!! :cmad: :cmad::cmad::cmad:

But in all seriousness, this is what a movie event should be. This movie gets you from the very first moment it comes on, and it never lets up. Outside of Mad Max: Fury Road, I have never seen a movie just crank itself to 10 so quickly and stay there the whole movie!!!! I know I can never cover everybody in this review individually, so I am going to talk about the movie as a whole. It also helps that the movie cranked up to 10 is an amazing film.

Infinity War was designed to be the first part of something that would bring the MCU full circle, and the man who has been teased and we all have been waiting for since we first saw him in The Avengers was the Mad Titan himself, Thanos. For this film to work, Thanos had to be menacing and be a three-dimensional villain. I have never been as hard on the MCU "villain problem" as many people, but I do see what people mean: the villains tend to come secondary in MCU films, though recent history has changed that. Much to the credit of the Russos, Thanos I think not only is in the conversation for best MCU villain, I think he wins it. I don't think Thanos was as deep a character as Loki overall, but Thanos is a deep character with sympathetic motivations in his own right. But Loki was never a villain who struck fear into the audience, Thanos does. Every scene Thanos is in feels like something bad can happen to someone we love (and it often does in the film). Thanos is the complete package. He's smart, ruthless, powerfull, skilled,and interesting. This movie entirely hinges on him, and he delivers. Thanos has always been a top 3 favorite villain of mine, so this brings me joy. Bravo to Josh Brolin and the Russos for bringing the Mad Titan to life. Jim Starlin should be proud.

When it comes to the heroes, everyone gets a moment to shine in the movie. I am amazed at how evenly distributed the screen time is. The Russos said Thor had probably more than everyone else, but it felt more even to me than that. If they say it, it probably is true, but the fact I didn't feel it shows mission accomplished. Outside of Thanos, I do think Thor steals the show in regards to the heroes. His badassery in this knows no bounds. It's just a well done effort all around.

Now I want to get into a minor nitpick. Previously mentioned, Thor sort of steals the movie. Thor is also one of the few characters in the movie who gets to have some character moments outside of preparing for the next battle. This movie has many characters, but few arcs. It is very spectacle driven. In the end, I think that is what the movie needed to be given the gigantic cast it had, but I am hoping Avengers 4 goes a little in the opposite direction to even things out.

I also want to get into everyone's favorite topic: the deaths. First off, I am going to say I told you that none of the big 4 are going to die! This movie largely picked the right deaths. Gamora's death scene hurt and I felt that scene's emotional impact. Very well done. Same thing I think can be said for both Vision's and Loki's deaths (though they were predictable). But the half of the universe they decided to erase for the time being is where I think it was a master stroke. These two films are supposed to be handing off the franchise to the next generations of heroes, but at its heart, it should be a story about The Avengers. By erasing all the new characters for the time being, I think it allows Avengers 4 to put a greater focus on the original Avengers, making it easier to wrap up all their plot lines and give them a proper send-off/conclusion (whatever those end up being). Master class writing, IMO. I know it is old hat to say this, but Marvel really understands the story they're telling and they show me this at every turn.

All in all, I cannot say this is the MCU's best movie. While this movie is sold as being a complete film and Avengers 4 will be its own thing, I ultimately don't think that is true. This film leaves you on a major cliffhanger and longing for the next part. It makes the ending hurt, and that is wonderful. But on the other hand, it doesn't feel like the story is complete to me. The Avengers was a complete movie that set-up future ones. The ending to this I feel is more equal to Voldemort finding the Elder Wand rather than it being the ending of The Empire Strikes Back. I would currently place this film at number 2 in my MCU rankings (dethroning Captain America: Civil War), but I think once Avengers 4 is out and we see the complete story, I think it is possible the combined Infinity War/Avengers 4 story potentially could dethrone The Avengers. If Avengers 4 fumbles, no doubt it will leave a bitter taste on future rewatches of Infinity War. But, if Avengers 4 nails the next part of this story like Infinity War nails part 1, then I think Marvel Studios will have a saga that rivals the great epics like The Lord of the Rings.

Overall Rating - 5/5, Without hesitation! I don't know how I am going to wait another year for Avengers 4! I have long said Infinity War didn't quite rival The Avengers in hype for me, but if it is amazing then Avengers 4 could. Well...Avengers 4 right about now IS rivaling it!

2. inomilan

inomilan Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think this was a self-contained movie. We’re hust not used to seeing A villain win and Thanos definitely won. This was his movie, that’s why it says Thanos will return after the credits. From that perspective, I feel like this really was a self-contained movie.

3. fobi

fobi Well-Known Member

I agree about the deaths but Spider-Man's got to me a bit. And I don't get emotional like that. Lol

4. WitcherGeralt

WitcherGeralt Well-Known Member

Yep, they even said that this is a Thanos's movie. He won. He accomplished his plan. It's self-contained as its best. What's not is if Thanos hasn't gotten all the stones and we would have to wait for part 4 to see that.

5. fobi

fobi Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

6. JIVE

JIVE Member

Precisely how I see it.

7. fobi

fobi Well-Known Member

Wanda is going to need some therapy or something. Geez. First her brother, then a bunch of innocent civilians and now her lover. And I think Vision is gone for good, actually I think everyone that died before the snap is gone for good. Not sure about Gamora though.

8. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

I actually liked that. It's just the execution of that ending is what ticked me off.

Wasn't a fan of the Captain Marvel post-credit tease either.

After the fourth Avengers film, Marvel needs to stop pushing the 'shared universe' aspect of the franchise. People are going to get burnt out, they already know the MCU's characters exist in the same universe.

9. kguillou

kguillou Well-Known Member

This is what I want out of a comic book movie, high stakes, some laughs, cries, great character interactiona, raw emotion, and EPIC action. This movie brought it. Yeah, I think its safe to say a lot of the damage is going to be reversed in A4, BUT I dont think its going to be that easy. There will DEFINITELY be some lasting consequences. Its not a question of who will come back, its a question of who WONT come back?

10. The Chris

The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

I have no shame im admitting i started bursting into tears there. Batman and Spider-Man were my first superheroes and are still my favorites, and i love Holland as the character. That broke me.

11. fobi

fobi Well-Known Member

So the Gauntlet was pretty much destroyed right? I mean I guess we can speculate for a good year about what happens next but it seems like he's just going to and live a normal life since he accomplished his goal. Will he just be trying to prevent the Avengers from recovering the stone on undoing what he did? So many questions!

12. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

I'm worried about how well this will do. Most of my audience didn't have the slightest idea that characters would die or that this was a 2 parter. I could tell some of them were actually mad at Marvel for killing off their favorite character (even though that character has a sequel announced as coming). I'm afraid that not advertising it as Part one of a two part story is going to hurt it.

13. Spider-Fan

My audience was fairly loud...until the ending. Then you could hear a pin drop! I also don't think they were aware that this was 2 parts.

Also on an unrelated note...you guys who thought Avengers 4 was Secret Invasion.....HA!!!! TOLD YOU!!!! :cmad:

14. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I think ending the way it did is enough to let most audience members know that there’s going to be a direct follow up of some kind. A lot of people might not currently be aware that there’s a part 4 coming out next year, but I have a strong feeling most everyone will he be lined up to see what happens next.

15. fobi

fobi Well-Known Member

How were the reactions to the post credit scene? They were very tepid in my theater and I think most didn't even get it. Lol. The ones that did were like, "and where the hell was she for the last 48 hours or so?!" Lol

16. mclay18

I think it will. It'll still make a ton of money, but yeah, killing off beloved characters like Gamora and Peter Parker will tick off some people.

It's so transparent that some of these characters will be revived in Avengers 4, like Peter since they have their own sequels to appear in.

Maybe the movie will grow on me when I see it again.

17. kguillou

kguillou Well-Known Member

Oh man, my audience's reaction to the end was PRICELESS. Literally almost everyone in the theater screamed "WHAT THE F****!!"

18. Flint Marko

People in my theater lost their minds right when the credits started rolling.

I really don’t see this film being hurt by how it ends.

19. mclay18

A few women clapped and cheered as soon as they saw Carol's logo show up on the pager. But yeah, most non-Marvel fans were like "huh?"

People laughed at the bit where Fury goes "mother fu--" as he turns to ash.

20. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

His death got to me big time, alongside Gamora's. :csad::csad:

21. Spider-Fan

I too think most everyone will come back in the end (not so sure about anyone pre snap coming back). I don't think we will have many perma-deaths in the end. But, I do think the perma-death we're going to get will be major.

22. Miss Venom

Miss Venom Well-Known Member

Just got back.
    Seriously, how did this thing avoid an R rating?

23. Spider-Fan

I don't think so, I think they will quickly realize there is a part 2 coming and be fine with it. But, I guarantee many coming to see this won't know it's 2 parts and lose their minds until that is told to them, LOL!

24. fobi

fobi Well-Known Member

Black Order was kind of disappointing. They looked great though. Ebony Maw deserved better than that death though. I kind of liked him. Lol

25. Flint Marko

Thor might’ve been the MVP for me. Never thought I’d say that but.... wow.

Surprised with how underserved Cap was relatively speaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.