Birds of Prey BoP Box Office Thread

Soundtracks do help big time though. Black Panther’s soundtrack was REALLY popular, partly because it was spearheaded by The Weeknd whose red hot in the music world. Soundtracks can sometimes help movies break into the mainstream consciousness of awareness and interest. BOP had a good score but it aint like Black Panther’s or Suicide Squads were the hits were ALL over the radio and social media.
1) It was spearheaded and curated by Kendrick Lamar. Not The Weeknd. He had some apperances but the project was Kendrick's brain child.

2) Preface: I am talking about for non musical movies. and soundtracks that largely feature songs that are made for the movie
How do original soundtracks help big time? Black Panther would've been a major success without Black Panther: The Album. Furious 7 was going to be a hit movie without See You Again. Suicide Squad's soundtrack sold, but there's no evidence or correlation that the album is what pushed SS to its box office heights. 50 Shades of Grey had a phenomenal soundtrack, but the movie would've been a success without it.
Again, it's not a bad thing to have a successful album, but it's not a guarantee for making box office money. If you look at all the highest grossing movies that aren't musicals, most of the highest grossing movies didn't have hugely successful singles or original soundtracks.
Charlie's Angel had some of the biggest pop stars out like Ariana Grande on its soundtrack and had a pretty big single (they still play it heavy at any LA Fitness or Gold's Gym). Movie still flopped. And again Spider-Verse had Sunflower which is/was a colossal smash single, went #1 on the Hot 100 for a week, was in the Billboard Top 10 for like 33 weeks...but there's nothing that shows that the movie was helped by that.
Original soundtracks are a great secondary revenue stream and it can help promote a movie a bit. It's not bad to have a great original soundtrack. But if the movie still doesn't look good to people, there's no evidence that many people say "You know I like the original soundtrack so much I'm going to see the movie". Soundtracks don't say when the movie is coming out...with BoP they would've been better of buying some more interesting creative minds and doing a better social media blitz if they really were marketing to teens

EDIT: And you know it's not like back in the day where if you wanted to hear a song you had to: go to the movie, wait for the radio, wait for MTV, etc.

Last edited:
Tbh, Charlie's Angels soundtrack was not that good.

1) It was spearheaded and curated by Kendrick Lamar. Not The Weeknd. He had some apperances but the project was Kendrick's brain child.

2) Preface: I am talking about for non musical movies. and soundtracks that largely feature songs that are made for the movie
How do original soundtracks help big time? Black Panther would've been a major success without Black Panther: The Album. Furious 7 was going to be a hit movie without See You Again. Suicide Squad's soundtrack sold, but there's no evidence or correlation that the album is what pushed SS to its box office heights. 50 Shades of Grey had a phenomenal soundtrack, but the movie would've been a success without it.
Again, it's not a bad thing to have a successful album, but it's not a guarantee for making box office money. If you look at all the highest grossing movies that aren't musicals, most of the highest grossing movies didn't have hugely successful singles or original soundtracks.
Charlie's Angel had some of the biggest pop stars out like Ariana Grande on its soundtrack and had a pretty big single (they still play it heavy at any LA Fitness or Gold's Gym). Movie still flopped. And again Spider-Verse had Sunflower which is/was a colossal smash single, went #1 on the Hot 100 for a week, was in the Billboard Top 10 for like 33 weeks...but there's nothing that shows that the movie was helped by that.
Original soundtracks are a great secondary revenue stream and it can help promote a movie a bit. It's not bad to have a great original soundtrack. But if the movie still doesn't look good to people, there's no evidence that many people say "You know I like the original soundtrack so much I'm going to see the movie". Soundtracks don't say when the movie is coming out...with BoP they would've been better of buying some more interesting creative minds and doing a better social media blitz if they really were marketing to teens

EDIT: And you know it's not like back in the day where if you wanted to hear a song you had to: go to the movie, wait for the radio, wait for MTV, etc.
I think it just has to do with having more successes and curating a good soundtrack can be hard. Just look at the Charlie’s Angels one. They had all those big names and no one really cared because they were all pretty boring/dull songs.

Tbh, Charlie's Angels soundtrack was not that good.
I think it just has to do with having more successes and curating a good soundtrack can be hard. Just look at the Charlie’s Angels one. They had all those big names and no one really cared because they were all pretty boring/dull songs.
But it still had a lot of big stars on it.
Suicide Squad album wasn't good either.

We're not talking about the quality of album, we're talking about whether you have a lot of big names on your album, a good/great album, or a successful album it's not necessarily the biggest help for a film's box office

Black Panther would've still been humongous with or without Black Panther: The Album

EDIT: And to reiterate, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have an original soundtrack good or bad. I'm just saying it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the box office

yes, your right it was Kendrick, my bad. Even still Kendrick’s a HUGE name in the music world. And im not saying a killer soundtrack equals a billion bucks but a killer soundtrack helps puts butts in seats and generates hype because it helps penetrate the popular zeitgeist. I cant speak for Charlie’s Angels, idk if that Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Lana Del Rey single was that popular but i know for certain in the cases of Black Panther and Suicide Squad there were several songs from those albums that were in heavy rotation for a while on the radio and that only helps.

yes, your right it was Kendrick, my bad. Even still Kendrick’s a HUGE name in the music world. And im not saying a killer soundtrack equals a billion bucks but a killer soundtrack helps puts butts in seats and generates hype because it helps penetrate the popular zeitgeist. I cant speak for Charlie’s Angels, idk if that Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Lana Del Rey single was that popular but i know for certain in the cases of Black Panther and Suicide Squad there were several songs from those albums that were in heavy rotation for a while on the radio and that only helps.
How does it? Again Spider-Verse had a massive single and soundtrack. Didn't put butts in seats. And BP and SS were going to be huge soundtrack or not. The difference, if any between if they did have OSTs or not, would be so minimal if any difference at all

By your logic are you saying that if BoP had a better soundtrack it would've done better OW? Because that doesn't seem true at all

How does it? Again Spider-Verse had a massive single and soundtrack. Didn't put butts in seats.

By your logic are you saying that if BoP had a better soundtrack it would've done better OW? Because that doesn't seem true at all
They released just two songs a week before movie's release date, had they released the entire album a month before the release date, it certainly would have helped to market the movie.

They released just two songs a week before movie's release date, had they released the entire album a month before the release date, it certainly would have helped to market the movie.
Not really.
An album isn't going to cause anyone who wasn't going to see the movie to go see it.

Looking at something: BP The Album came out a week before the actual movie's US release and for Suicide Squad The Album came out the same day as the US release. Both movies were successes despite their soundtracks coming out so close relative to the movie similar to what happened with BoP.
And you are saying that because BoP didn't release it earlier, that hurt the opening weekend potential. So then if BP and SS did the same thing, then the albums didn't boost either movies' opening weekend BO receipts. Which proves that soundtracks aren't that necessarily or crucial to market a movie for opening weekend.

It's looking likely that the movie's domestic run would not reach $100 mil, I think it will reach $90 mil.

Movies that didn't get past $100 million domestically -

Successful -
John Wick Chapter 2 ($92 mil.), Alita: Battle Angel ($ 85.7 mil.), Tomb Raider ($58 mil), Atomic Blonde ($ 51.6 mil),

Flops -
Terminator Dark Fate ($62 mil.), Terminator Genisys ($ 89.7 mil), Ghost in the Shell ($ 40.5 mil), Charlie's Angels (2019) ($17.8 mil.), Huntsman: Winter's War($ 48 mil.), Live By Night ($ 10 mil.), Red Sparrow ($ 46 mil.)

Ya still looking at 90+/- Dom and x1.5 Int for ~ 225M finish plus Japan

Deadline:
Warner Bros. Birds of Prey in weekend 3 is seeing a third Friday of $2M, and weekend of $7.6M in 3rd -56% at 3,565 for a running total of $73.1M.

Dropped bigger this weekend than I would've expected. $90 million is now suspect when before I thought it was a lock.

Overseas should have reached around $95 mil too. It's worldwide total may cross $170 mil by Monday.

I think this will get a bit of a boost once it hits digital/bluray, just like Shazam did. David Sandberg stated how them digital sales helped the movie out a lot.

I just hope it somehow reaches $ 200 mil. People in US are just not turning up to see this, I wonder what spooked them off.

Edit: It's more of Studio's fault, they picked a wrong release date (apart from wrong rating, wrong title, and wrong marketing campaign) they had to take into account the fact that two family friendly movies will draw in audiences and result in drop in number of available screens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"