Birds of Prey BoP Box Office Thread

I think this will get a bit of a boost once it hits digital/bluray, just like Shazam did. David Sandberg stated how them digital sales helped the movie out a lot.
Shazam! (2019) - Financial Information

Shazam ! earned $31 mil from DVD+Bluray sales in US (overseas revenue from Bluray sales is not available), so if Birds of Prey can earn close to that, plus the revenue from merchandise and streaming rights, it can break even., or come close to it. (Assuming BoP finishes it's worldwide run near $210 million.)

It isn't a disaster. A disappointment, sure. But, also, since the majority of the posters in the forum seem to be positive about the movie, is it a shock that they aren't ripping the box office to shreds.

This movie is limping towards 200mill ww and wont touch 100 mill domestically how is this anything but a box office disaster. Why all this spin? I saw the movie and it was ok just kinda meh, wb can't be happy with these numbers.
Agreed. Especially for a dc comic book film, that is really disappointing and disastrous numbers.

People need to differentiate between a Box Office bomb and a box office disappointment. Or, a flop and under-performing movie. Since BoP will make more than two times it's Production budget by the end of it's run (It will be released in Japan on 20th March), it is underperfoming but not a flop movie.

2nd MCU movie, The Incredible Hulk (2008) couldn't even manage to earn twice it's production budget, it was a disappointment, but not a disaster, otherwise MCU should have closed right then. As one poster ( @Erzengel ) pointed out Marvel took that minor bump in the road as they were planning / building upto the event movie. (Avengers).

Recently, James Gunn talked about few DCEU movies that are planned, I hope that they have something planned out, we will see.

rt-TIH.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from Box Office under performance of the movie, it was received well by Critics and audiences (who saw the film) alike, which counts as well, now we have 4 movies with fresh tomato ratings out of eight.

rtXFC.jpg

Another example is of X-men FC, it's worldwide total to production budget ratio is 2.2.

$ 352.6 mil/ $150 mil = 2.2

Assuming BoP makes $220 mil (most optimistic estimate), it's worldwide total to production budget ratio is 2.58.

$220 mil/ $85 mil. = 2.58

So, while BoP is not going to earn any profit, it's not a disaster as some are claiming, And this is not a spin, as FoX movies continued even after X-Men : FC, and MCU movies after TIH.

rtXFC.jpg

Another example is of X-men FC, it's worldwide total to production budget ratio is 2.2.

$ 352.6 mil/ $150 mil = 2.2

Assuming BoP makes $220 mil (most optimistic estimate), it's worldwide total to production budget ratio is 2.58.

$220 mil/ $85 mil. = 2.58

So, while BoP is not going to earn any profit, it's not a disaster as some are claiming, And this is not a spin, as FoX movies continued even after X-Men : FC, and MCU movies after TIH.
BOP is a huge disappointment but not a disaster. They left money on the table. Better marketing and a better rating and it would have crossed $250m by now already easily.

Lol saying this is a disaster and flop is a spin isn’t it

You have a film that will finish around breaking even after blu ray and merchandizing and you guys are saying that’s a disaster?

How about GL that made 200M with a 300M budget, King Arthur, Justice League (mid-600M with a 300M budget), Charlie’s Angels (17M domestic 40M budget)?

Is Tomb Raider a disaster? It’s got near 100M budget with under 300M box office, 70%+ from overseas where you get less return.

It’s getting a sequel.

And BOP with 200M+ finish on a 82M budget is a disaster? Lol

And ya, it’s a disappointment, but I don’t know what you call GL, CA, KA, JL if BOP is a disaster. Apocalypse? Ya that fits the internet hyperbolic narrative.

I don’t even think Batman Begins made its money back during the theatrical run? 370M on a 150M budget? Break even at 450M? Now tell me BB was a total disaster.

A spin the other way is saying BOP is a resounding success financially, which WB will probably say if they announce HQ’s next film. Whereas labeling it a disaster is a spin the other way

Usually, movies that don't do well at US domestic Box Office, get a boost in overall collections by China collections. Birds Of Prey certainly could have got some help from China Box Office, I'm sure Cathy Yan would have loved to promote the movie there, but it wasn't released there.

Usually, movies that don't do well at US domestic Box Office, get a boost in overall collections by China collections. Birds Of Prey certainly could have got some help from China Box Office, I'm sure Cathy Yan would have loved to promote the movie there, but it wasn't released there.

True Tomb Raider got some numbers from China, where they got little profit, so the actual return is actually worse, but this Tomb disaster got a sequel, lol

True Tomb Raider got some numbers from China, where they got little profit, so the actual return is actually worse, but this Tomb disaster got a sequel, lol
Obviously it wasn't disasterous at the box office as it got a sequel and grossed around 270 million worldwide, which Birds of Prey won't even get close to at the end of its theatrical run. It'd be lucky to the hit $200 million mark at this point. X-Men First Class and The Incredible Hulk didn't gross below under $200 million worldwide by the way.

Is this Birds of Prey movie getting a sequel by the way for you to make a comparison? Lol that. Whats so funny now? Huh.

Budget of X-Men FC is almost twice ($160 mil.) that of Birds of Prey ($85 mil.) same for The Inctedible Hulk (budget $150 mil.)

Having said that, I doubt BoP will get a sequel.

Budget of X-Men FC is almost twice ($160 mil.) that of Birds of Prey ($85 mil.)

Having said that, I doubt BoP will get a sequel.
And First Class didn't get a China/IMAX release by the way. Also ticket prices are way cheaper in 2011. Why are you making a comparison to that movie anyway? It underperformed at the box office but still got a sequel and foX used the series' original cast to get more interest to the neXt film.

This reminds me when people are trying to downplay Shazam's middling box office success and tried to bring up other middling movies at the box office to make the film's performance better. However, the major difference here with this Birds of Prey movie is it is struggling to hit $200 million worldwide. In fact, this is the lowest grossing Dc film since Jonah Hex. Can this movie even outgross Green Lantern's $210 million worldwide gross? How about try to compare this to movies that struggled to hit $200 million worldwide and didnt get a direct follow up?

Well, The Incredible Hulk never got a sequel so it kind of proves further how financially unsuccessful it was. And any other studio would probably be much more reluctant to give First Class a sequel with those numbers. But Birds of Prey will do even less. And those examples were a decade ago. The genre is at an all time high now where half the movies are grossing a billion easily so it's definitely in a worse situation.

This isn't a flop like Fant4stic, Dark Phoenix or Hellboy but it's a flop nonetheless.

X-M:FC &TIH were broughtup as someone made a comment that BoP was a disaster, it's not, it is an underperforming movie like X-M : FC & TIH.

You cannot just look at box office numbers without taking into account the movie's budget. So a movie making more than $200 mil means little if it's production budget is $160 mil.

BoP is the lowest budget DCEU movie, had WB been smart, it would have made more money by making it a PG-13 instead of R rating, which would have added $25 / $30 mil.

Lastly, the movie still hasn't opened in Japan and it can reach $200 mil worldwide.

BOP is a huge disappointment but not a disaster. They left money on the table. Better marketing and a better rating and it would have crossed $250m by now already easily.
I agree with you until the rating.
With how successful a lot of well received R rated properties have been lately, there's no reason to blame the rating

I agree with you until the rating.
With how successful a lot of well received R rated properties have been lately, there's no reason to blame the rating
I read somewhere that the target demographic was reduced by R rating to 18 to 40, not many adults are interested in watching Harley Quinn centric movie as they find her annoying and campy character. Most of Harley fans are young people who were left out because of the R rating.

Now even if you disagree with the above analysis (not mine but it has a point.) most fans think that the movie could have done better with a PG -13 rating.

I read somewhere that the target demographic was reduced by R rating to 18 to 40, not many adults are interested in watching Harley Quinn centric movie as they find her annoying and campy character. Most of Harley fans are young people who were left out because of the R rating.

Now even if you disagree with the above analysis (not mine but it has a point.) most fans think that the movie could have done better with a PG -13 rating.
I don't get this narrative some try and push about people not liking Harley Quinn. I haven't seen any evidence that people actively dislike her. In fact I've seen the opposite with the large number of adults I see having her merch like shirts, umbrellas, etc. And if Harley Quinn's fans all young why would they make an R rated animated show as well? Harley Quinn's reach is far and there's no evidence to prove otherwise.

And what is this with young people don't go see R rated movies? 47% of Deadpool's opening weekend audience was under 25. My Joker, IT, and Hangover screenings were full of teens. Plenty of teens and under 17 year old people go see R rated movies if they want to. It's not like we all live in the bible belt where every parent is afraid of movies with cursing, violence, etc.

Last edited:
2nd MCU movie, The Incredible Hulk (2008) couldn't even manage to earn twice it's production budget, it was a disappointment, but not a disaster, otherwise MCU should have closed right then. As one poster ( @Erzengel ) pointed out Marvel took that minor bump in the road as they were planning / building upto the event movie. (Avengers).

Recently, James Gunn talked about few DCEU movies that are planned, I hope that they have something planned out, we will see.
The DCEU despite the panning of several of their films have grossed $668, $873.6, $746.8, $821.8, $657.9, $1.148.5 for their first 6 films and afterwards $365.97 & currently $173.7M for the their latest.

I have previously said that comparing the MCU & DCEU film grosses were never a 1 to 1 comparison considering two factors; that the MCU was building up towards the Avengers, using characters not wanted by other Studios and secondly, it was before the 2012 CBM explosion, where comics became more mainstream and started making more money across the boards. For example, Thor at $449M in 2011 still broke the CBM Top 10 in terms of gross. Now $449M is considered on the low end of the spectrum for the MCU series. As opposed to the DCEU, who were using the most popular CB characters of all time and benefiting from a more wide open genre in 2013.

However, if we were to look at the BO grosses, the DCEU went from grossing $1.4B more than the MCU after 5 movies and now the MCU is ahead by $216M after 8 films. That's what I think is worry some for some of their characters and why there is a bit of benefit from an more shared universe. You would think with the previous box office success, they wouldn't struggle with their 7th and 8th films.

And there's not a JL or Crisis or any other big event that DC is building towards. Currently, DCEU is doing continual series that'll make references, but each one is going to be sandboxed. (WW, WW84) (Shazam, Black Adam, Shazam 2) (SS, BOP, TSS). I know DC is going to bounce back with WW84 and the Batman even though technically that not a DCEU movie. I think TSS will do fine but the real test is Black Adam & Shazam 2. Let's hope the Rock can put butts in the seats and create interest for Shazam 2 .

Obviously it wasn't disasterous at the box office as it got a sequel and grossed around 270 million worldwide, which Birds of Prey won't even get close to at the end of its theatrical run. It'd be lucky to the hit $200 million mark at this point. X-Men First Class and The Incredible Hulk didn't gross below under $200 million worldwide by the way.

Is this Birds of Prey movie getting a sequel by the way for you to make a comparison? Lol that. Whats so funny now? Huh.

Hm, tell me what was the budget of Tomb Raider, over or under BOP, and how much did it make domestically, and taking away China, what is it's box office? What was it's break even point? Was 270M over that breaking point? and what is BOP's break even point, how far are they apart, and tell me how one's a disaster and one's not, based on the difference in profit numbers, please?

Tell me, what was the budget of GL, and what was it's break even point?

and it's already at 173M with Japan to come, it's underperforming and disappointing but it got around 16M this weekend only 27M more to get with Japan still to release, so if you're using sub-200M as a flop point it's not a guarantee neither for you

Last edited:
Hm, tell me what was the budget of Tomb Raider, over or under BOP, and how much did it make domestically, and taking away China, what is it's box office? What was it's break even point? Was 270M over that breaking point? and what is BOP's break even point, how far are they apart, and tell me how one's a disaster and one's not, based on the difference in profit numbers, please?

Tell me, what was the budget of GL, and what was it's break even point?

and it's already at 173M with Japan to come, it's underperforming and disappointing but it got around 16M this weekend only 27M more to get with Japan still to release, so if you're using sub-200M as a flop point it's not a guarantee neither for you
Well I just have to agree to disagree. It doesn't matter if it was made around $84 million, $171 million after 3 weekends still doesn't sound okay especially if they intend to launch Birds of Prey out of this film. Comic book movies these days especially Marvel/DC have gotten so big, that a live action film struggling to hit the $100 million in America and $200 million worldwide is almost unheard of. I can only think of 3 films Dc or Marvel in the last five years, 3rd being this film and the New Mutants as the next one. It is disastrous, in my opinion especially this one features a lead character that appeared in a movie that almost earned 3/4 of a billion at the box office.

And who knows how well it will do in Japan... maybe it will finally outgross Green Lantern by then. :dry:

As for other movies you/others kept mentioning, more people still saw those films even if you don't think it didnt get a big profit due to its budget.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"